Uncharted 2 Tied for the best all time metacritic score on the PS3

E

ERC1980

they certainly do deserve those outstanding scores.

awesome game on an awesome console.

Reading Adam Sesslers review and seeing eurogamer giving it a perfect 10 is mindblowing to say the least.

my prediction for U2's final meta score will be: 99

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
[QUOTE="ERC1980, post: 0]my prediction for U2's final meta score will be: 99[/quote]

As amazed as I am at U2 right now, I really, really doubt that. Only one game has ever reached those heights.

One 80 would virtually obliterate any chances for a 99, and there's a good handful of critics out there who traditionally break a game's momentum with a lower score simply for being difficult to please.

I think seeing U2 stay at 98 at all would be like grace from heaven.

Sep 21, 2005
usually on metacritic time isn't kind to the score as it always seems to fall not rise. i think the game deserves to be in the spot that it is just with the amount of detail that the team has put into the game alone. even without playing it i can see what an achievement U2 has already made. (i just said i haven't played it before anyone comes in pulling that card! i have been in both betas though.) you can see the amount of detail in everything. best lip sync i have seen in any video game to date. the graphics, the sound quality, the innovations (such as being able to change map load outs without forced patches and no loading without mandatory hdd installs). LBP deserved to be up there too but i really hope that U2 can keep up this momentum and it isn't spoiled by some journalist that just wants to be heard above everyone else so they throw out the "tough review".

E

Express

Just got pulled down to 97, because of crappy gamespy review. Well no point in complaining. Everyone knows its the best game this gen till now.

Watching the g4 review gave me the chills. Only other game ever to do that was mgs4, Im glad I have this pre-ordered. Actually its the second game ever I have pre-ordered. First was Resistance 2.

Jun 4, 2007
EDGE will give this game a 7 like they did killzone 2(said it brought nothing new) and give a game like halo: odst a 9. Edge are full of ****.

Masked Maniac

Dedicated Member
Jul 27, 2008
Lol, I can't believe GTA4 is gonna end up having a higher overall score than Uncharted 2. I think we all (well most of us) will be able to agree that Uncharted blows it out of the water.

Enthroll

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2008
Tuscany
this is amazing but guys, remember that we talk about Uncharted, we all know how good it is, why do we need to see the scores when we're certain that it will be one of the BEST 5 games of this generation? :cool: this WILL be a fact.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
[QUOTE="left_senseless, post: 0]usually on metacritic time isn't kind to the score as it always seems to fall not rise. i think the game deserves to be in the spot that it is just with the amount of detail that the team has put into the game alone. even without playing it i can see what an achievement U2 has already made. (i just said i haven't played it before anyone comes in pulling that card! i have been in both betas though.) you can see the amount of detail in everything. best lip sync i have seen in any video game to date. the graphics, the sound quality, the innovations (such as being able to change map load outs without forced patches and no loading without mandatory hdd installs). LBP deserved to be up there too but i really hope that U2 can keep up this momentum and it isn't spoiled by some journalist that just wants to be heard above everyone else so they throw out the "tough review".[/quote]

The "typically falling metascore" has nothing to do with metacritic antics directly. That's just what happens in the mathematical nature of using an average for evaluation...especially when people wrongfully expect a near-perfect score to remain consistent when any of 20-50 diversely opinionated review sources have the potential to bring it down.

Case-in-Point: GameSpy's 90 weighted score was enough to bring U2's metascore of 98 down to 97. It goes to show you how fragile an average can be...especially when it is almost perfect. It also goes to show you how ridiculous it is to expect the average to not fluctuate.

Sep 10, 2007
And yet, Gamespy called Uncharted 2 the single best PS3 exclusive to date. Weird to give it 4.5/5 then..

I think the metacritic average will stop at about 94-95... Great score.

dinotante

Dedicated Member
Jan 7, 2008
Im down with the score...

Although, its kinda hard to swallow given that: GRAND THEFT AUTO 4 GOT A BETTER SCORE!! (A lot of games deserve a higher score!!)

Oh well, thats how it is...

Sep 21, 2005
i know this bio... none of the final tallies have anything to do with metacritic at all. all metacritic does is compile the scores and gives an average. but that doesn't change my point. averages have a better chance of falling for game reviews than they do for rising. that is all i was saying. great score nontheless. gta4 wasn't even decent as toilet paper let alone one of the top rated games this generation. :(

E

ERC1980

here's hoping future reviews raise it back up to 98.

Gamespot, Edge, and Gameinformer are the big three that will determine whether U2 will end up being at 99.

either way this is the best game of this gen by a fair margin.

fuzzypumpkins

Dedicated Member
Dec 1, 2005
The Burgh
[QUOTE="Masked Maniac, post: 0]Lol, I can't believe GTA4 is gonna end up having a higher overall score than Uncharted 2. I think we all (well most of us) will be able to agree that Uncharted blows it out of the water.[/quote]

but you are comparing two different types of games :|

Andrea

Apprentice
Sep 7, 2009
[QUOTE="Masked Maniac, post: 0]Lol, I can't believe GTA4 is gonna end up having a higher overall score than Uncharted 2. I think we all (well most of us) will be able to agree that Uncharted blows it out of the water.[/quote]
I have no doubt about it. I personally see that even the original Uncharted deserved a higher score than GTA IV.

Spunky Ninja

Superior Member
Apr 23, 2007
[QUOTE="Bio, post: 0]As amazed as I am at U2 right now, I really, really doubt that. Only one game has ever reached those heights.

One 80 would virtually obliterate any chances for a 99, and there's a good handful of critics out there who traditionally break a game's momentum with a lower score simply for being difficult to please.

I think seeing U2 stay at 98 at all would be like grace from heaven.[/quote]

This.

Well writen, man.

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
[QUOTE="Maefteda, post: 0]And yet, Gamespy called Uncharted 2 the single best PS3 exclusive to date. Weird to give it 4.5/5 then..

I think the metacritic average will stop at about 94-95... Great score.[/quote]

Dont you know? Gamespy PS3 ranking only goes up to 4.5, its clear since then NEVER rated one 5 * ;)
Go ahead and see which games they do rate 5* :rolleyes:

vulture

Superior Member
Sep 2, 2007
[QUOTE="Nunalho, post: 0]Dont you know? Gamespy PS3 ranking only goes up to 4.5, its clear since then NEVER rated one 5 * ;)
Go ahead and see which games they do rate 5* :rolleyes:[/quote]

This is true. The only PS3 exclusive they gave 5 stars was Virtua Fighter 5 in Feb 2007 which later turned out to be a timed exclusive.

If you read the comments section of the gamespy review a fair amount of people are already slamming GS for this review (including myself), and then we have some other people who are criticizing us for criticizing Gamespy and mocking us and calling us fanbois and whatnot. Maybe some of us are fanboys but the point remains that the review is off base in certain respects for specific reasons which I outlined in the comments section, and instead of making any kind of point for point rebuttal people are just making attacks on people like me instead.

I encourage you guys to post in the gamespy U2 review comments section and back me up!

linky: http://forums.gamespy.com/gamespy_talkback/b50598/20138383/p1/?44

I

Ishimaru Kaito

good job i really think that ND should receive an award for their work on this excellent title

theaface

Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2009
[QUOTE="vulture, post: 0]I encourage you guys to post in the gamespy U2 review comments section and back me up!

linky: http://forums.gamespy.com/gamespy_talkback/b50598/20138383/p1/?44[/quote]

Whilst you make some good and well-articulated points on that forum, truth betold is that the score simply isn't that important to me, nor should it be that important to anybody else. We all know the majority of this community will buy and love every second of the game regardless of any negative press. That aside, people put WAY too much stock in scores/ratings/percentages/fractions these days, and getting hung up on Metacritic rankings. Hell, it's not just gamers - some publishers even negotiate bonus rates with developers based on their game's metascore. Absurd.

Whatever happened to enjoying reading about someone else's playing experiences and their opinions, even if you do disagree with them? Tacking a number on the end of an interesting review just seems totally arbitrary, and designed to appease the ADHD brigade who'd rather not read anything longer than a summary paragraph. Imagine if reviewers did away with scores altogether, and net-nerds had no percentile statistics to fling at each other in a who-can-shout-loudest "my console's better than years" debate for the umpteenth time. What a semi-peaceful world that'd be.

As the old axiom goes, arguing on the internet is a bit like competing in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still ******ed. ;)

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
[QUOTE="ERC1980, post: 0]Reading Adam Sesslers review[/quote]

Since when did this guy's opinion matter hes just as much of a fanboy as everybody else on G4 but still its good to see Uncharted 2 getting the scores it deserves.

Nov 19, 2007
It's 14th on the all time greatest scores list on metacritic. Was at 6th yesterday, so dropped some places. Still very good going. It's a crime that the first Uncharted has an average score of 88.

vulture

Superior Member
Sep 2, 2007
[QUOTE="theaface, post: 0]Whilst you make some good and well-articulated points on that forum, truth betold is that the score simply isn't that important to me, nor should it be that important to anybody else. We all know the majority of this community will buy and love every second of the game regardless of any negative press. That aside, people put WAY too much stock in scores/ratings/percentages/fractions these days, and getting hung up on Metacritic rankings. Hell, it's not just gamers - some publishers even negotiate bonus rates with developers based on their game's metascore. Absurd.

Whatever happened to enjoying reading about someone else's playing experiences and their opinions, even if you do disagree with them? Tacking a number on the end of an interesting review just seems totally arbitrary, and designed to appease the ADHD brigade who'd rather not read anything longer than a summary paragraph. Imagine if reviewers did away with scores altogether, and net-nerds had no percentile statistics to fling at each other in a who-can-shout-loudest "my console's better than years" debate for the umpteenth time. What a semi-peaceful world that'd be.

As the old axiom goes, arguing on the internet is a bit like competing in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still ******ed. ;)[/quote]

Thanks. I agree the score isn't that important, and I will be sure to enjoy the game regardless, it's just annoying and I feel like venting about it. And as I said in my posts over at Gamespy, it's not just the score, it's also the content of the review itself that I find fault with.

E

ERC1980

[QUOTE="PsychoMantis, post: 0]Since when did this guy's opinion matter hes just as much of a fanboy as everybody else on G4 but still its good to see Uncharted 2 getting the scores it deserves.[/quote]

I enjoyed his enthusiasm in his review. Even G4 can recognize the remarkable acheivement that is Uncharted 2.

whether he gave it a 10 or an 7, i would have gotten U2 anyways.

dupowdis

Superior Member
Aug 10, 2009
I get around...
[QUOTE="ERC1980, post: 0]they certainly do deserve those outstanding scores.

awesome game on an awesome console.

Reading Adam Sesslers review and seeing eurogamer giving it a perfect 10 is mindblowing to say the least.

my prediction for U2's final meta score will be: 99[/quote]

Ocarina of time is the only game that has a score that high...
its virtually impossible. even for uncharted 2.

S

Sonofparody

ScorpionT16

Forum Elder
Feb 13, 2008
Ughhhhhhhhh!!!

Why does this game come out when I have so much work to do! Only reason I hate Naught Dog :lol:

My copy is on Pre-order, will pick it if I get time sadly :(

But the scores look good, and Im looking forward to the Single player.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
[QUOTE="left_senseless, post: 0]i know this bio... none of the final tallies have anything to do with metacritic at all. all metacritic does is compile the scores and gives an average. but that doesn't change my point. averages have a better chance of falling for game reviews than they do for rising. that is all i was saying. great score nontheless. gta4 wasn't even decent as toilet paper let alone one of the top rated games this generation. :([/quote]

Ah, okay, then.

Yeah, you are right, averages tend to go on a downward slope.