Unreal Engine 5 Revealed! | Next-Gen Real-Time Demo Running on PlayStation 5

Jun 4, 2007

We’ve been working super close with Sony for quite a long time on storage,” he says...He and the engineers at Epic are using the console themselves. Sweeney says the two companies have been working closely together during the development of UE5 and the PS5, ensuring that Epic’s game development tool sets for developers creating next-gen titles is optimized for the hardware that software will ultimately run on. The UE5 demo released this morning was even running on an early PS5 console, and Epic captured the quite remarkable footage straight from the device itself.
https://www.theverge.com/21256299/e...-ps5-ssd-impressive-pc-gaming-future-next-gen

Last edited:

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Wonder if Sony is going to use UE more often for their exclusives. The demo looks phenomenal, even when it mostly runs @1440p/30fps.

Jun 4, 2007
Bend Studios used UE4 for Days Gone. It'll be interesting to see if they switch to UE5 and what it brings to its universe. I think most of Sony's other studios use their own engines.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
After an entire generation of new tech practically stalling, it's nice to see all these new cool idea's being explored.

Next up will be AI generated real-time anims/physics/AI etc. Hopefully we squeeze that in next-gen as well.
Wonder if Sony is going to use UE more often for their exclusives. The demo looks phenomenal, even when it mostly runs @1440p/30fps.
The tech they're showing off is stuff we've known about; Nvidia have been showing off similar tech demos with unlimited detail as well. For Epic, it's more about demonstrating the tooling, and the ease of use - I've goofed with UE4 and the editor is pretty sweet compared to Unity at least. The idea is you don't need a maths degree to make a game, they've done all that for you and packaged it up in one Editor. Obviously, the other big companies that already have proprietary engines have the talent on hand to work at the hardware level - DICE, Crytek, ICE, Unity etc. So they'll all have their own implementation of these ideas.

One 'let-down', i guess you could frame it as, is that Z-brush often uses Quads for modelling. In the demo, the guys obviously said they use Tri's so it's a little disappointing that there is no movement to quads for graphics - it would make some of the math a lot simpler; as understood as tri math might be at this point.

On UE tho: I hated UE3. 4 was good. 5 looks like it's pretty sweet.

May 20, 2008
I think Hellblade 2 is using this engine too. I've heard it doesn't release until 3qtr next year. Personally, I wanna see actual games running on it. I remember when they released the demo for Unreal Engine 4. That also looked great but we really didn't get to see many games on that level. With the new hardware maybe things will be different. That demo was impressive though. Man, I can't wait to see some games using this engine. Just imagine how good they'll look. Especially on the series x.

Last edited:

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
I'm always sceptical of these 'demos' and have seen many of them over the years. They rarely deliver to that level in actual games, but let's be fair here as well - you have to have the graphical engines that can take advantage of the hardware and so that's a tick in the box - now let's see how it delivers.

Sep 10, 2005
Now people might understand why a super fast storage is important....I hope that this time we will have the option to run 1080p will higher Fps instead of higher resolutions.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
I think Hellblade 2 is using this engine too. I've heard it doesn't release until 3qtr next year. Personally, I wanna see actual games running on it. I remember when they released the demo for Unreal Engine 4. That also looked great but we really didn't get to see many games on that level. With the new hardware maybe things will be different. That demo was impressive though. Man, I can't wait to see some games using this engine. Just imagine how good they'll look. Especially on the series x.
If not, they will be able to "migrate" to it, as EPIC confirmed it will be backwards compatible and they're going to migrate Fortnite to it themselves.

Now people might understand why a super fast storage is important....I hope that this time we will have the option to run 1080p will higher Fps instead of higher resolutions.
Having a fast NVME is great yes, but keep in mind this same demo ran in a laptop @1440p/40fps (RTX 2080 mobile + Evo 970) according to EPIC China, whereas it ran @1440p/30fps on PS5 (according to EPIC again).

So, while this demo looked incredible, it's not something that can't be achieved with a good enough NVME and a good GPU.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2005
If not, they will be able to "migrate" to it, as EPIC confirmed it will be backwards compatible and they're going to migrate Fortnite to it themselves.

Having a fast NVME is great yes, but keep in mind this same demo ran in a laptop @1440p/40fps (RTX 2080 mobile + Evo 970) according to EPIC China, whereas it ran @1440p/30fps on PS5 (according to EPIC again).

So, while this demo looked incredible, it's not something that can't be achieved with a good enough NVME and a good GPU.
Thats even better,it means that Ps5 has more potential than this and it will most likely show in its exclusives down the road.Lets not forget unreal engine is a multiplatform engine and not really tailored around the full potential of PS5 strengths.Now about the 2080 and the 40fps.This quote is from Tims Tweeter.

Not sure exactly what was said. The translated quote on 40 fps isn't a comparison between hardware capabilities. To hit a 100% solid 30 fps with vsync in the demo, per-frame times vary from 30 fps up to much higher.And the funny part...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYMzZApXsAApqCg?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited:

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Yeah well this is a technical demo of what UE5 will be like so I believe it will be similar to what the games will look like in the future. Well look at Agni's Philosophy not sure if FFXV turned out as good as the technical demo did. So it could be the same with Unreal it will still look good but not quite as good as the technical demo. Regardless many developers will be using UE5.

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I definitely think it's possible for games to took this good (or better) during the next generation. Go back and look at the UE4 tech demo, who by the way was a pure cinematic without any "gameplay" elements in it. You will see that there's quite a few games that have had the same level of graphics or better during this generation, most of the big Sony exclusives for example. I personally can't wait to see what studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Insomniac and Santa Monica among others can deliver during the next generation.