(UPDATE: two new patents!) Sony files patent for wireless PS VR headset

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
UPDATE:

Sony has filed two new VR patents: one to permit PSVR users to spectate live events, and another for inserting avatars of your pals into your games.

Siliconera noticed (thanks, VG24/7) the two patents, filed in 2017 and 2018 respectively, when they were published last week. The first is to allow people to join a live event, such as one at a sports arenas, "anchoring" them "to a physical location in the venue" to virtually spectate and feel as though they're really there, complete with a surrounding crowd.

The second details plans to turn your friends list into NPC crowds so they can spectate you as you play your game. Stating "generic spectators" don't match the realism of the other elements we've come to expect in current-gen gaming, Sony wants to populate NPC crowds with your pals instead for "a more entertaining and engaging experience". The patent goes on to explain that the avatars can be anything from "life-like representations" to an avatar your pal chooses to represent them, and it will be able to spectate you in real-time via VR, or through "pre-programmed clips".

Naturally, not everything that's patented becomes a final, physical product, but the filings do go some way to intimate Sony's future VR plans, as well as indicate the capabilities of VR tech in the not-to-distant future.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...to-put-an-avatar-of-you-in-your-friends-games

Sony has filed a patent for a wireless PSVR headset. First picked up by TheSixthAxis, the patent pictured below appears to show that the headset will communicate wirelessly with the separate standalone connection box.

The headset looks like it has seen some design changes as well, Specifically, the back strap of the headset has been split into two parts. One part goes around the top of your skull, whilst the larger part is used to tighten the headset.

An evolution of the PSVR headset is inevitable after the success PSVR has seen on the PS4. And, making the headset wireless is a likely change that Sony could make. This is especially true, considering how bulky the current headset feels and how much of a pain it is to set-up. Not all patents end up resulting in a final product; however, this one seems like a natural evolution of the headset.

PSVR is beloved at PSU for the unique experiences it offers. We have a list of 18 of our favourite titles you can play, including Resident Evil 7, Superhot VR, and Wipeout: Omega Collection. We have reviewed some of the latest games for PSVR including Eden Tomorrow, ChromaGun VR and Dick Wilde 2.

PSVR is also set to get a bunch of new titles including Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son and the Cyber-Ninja-FPS Sairento.

What are your thoughts on this latest patent?
https://www.psu.com/news/sony-patent-wireless-psvr-headset/

Make it happen, Sony!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018
How about giving me headsetless VR instead. It's the only way I am joining the VR. I have a VR now which collects dust because I can't stand stuff on my head.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
How about giving me headsetless VR instead. It's the only way I am joining the VR. I have a VR now which collects dust because I can't stand stuff on my head.
Which one, by chance?

Gotta say, though. It was difficult not to just respond "Sounds like a personal problem." There could be a lot of improvements to VR tech in general, but "I can't stand stuff on my head" is pretty rare. Most people forget it's there until they pull on wires moving or turning too far.

Jan 19, 2018
Which one, by chance?

Gotta say, though. It was difficult not to just respond "Sounds like a personal problem." There could be a lot of improvements to VR tech in general, but "I can't stand stuff on my head" is pretty rare. Most people forget it's there until they pull on wires moving or turning too far.
HTC Vive. I can't stand stuff on my head. VR sets, sun glasses, hats, anything. I am not the only one out there that has issues with things strapped or set on our head. Check out the VR forums. There are threads dedicated to making things more comfortable (if possible) for those that have issues with things on their heads.

It is a personal problem, and one I have to deal with.

Laddie13

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 7, 2018
I hope so, I have to keep my PSVR in a case because my cat chewed the wires and it cost me $160 to get it repaired. I feel I would use it more if it weren’t such a hassle getting it out every time.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Two new patents have been revealed. One of them is interesting: the people in your friends list become the NPCs in the games you play.

Sony has filed two new VR patents: one to permit PSVR users to spectate live events, and another for inserting avatars of your pals into your games.

Siliconera noticed (thanks, VG24/7) the two patents, filed in 2017 and 2018 respectively, when they were published last week. The first is to allow people to join a live event, such as one at a sports arenas, "anchoring" them "to a physical location in the venue" to virtually spectate and feel as though they're really there, complete with a surrounding crowd.

The second details plans to turn your friends list into NPC crowds so they can spectate you as you play your game. Stating "generic spectators" don't match the realism of the other elements we've come to expect in current-gen gaming, Sony wants to populate NPC crowds with your pals instead for "a more entertaining and engaging experience". The patent goes on to explain that the avatars can be anything from "life-like representations" to an avatar your pal chooses to represent them, and it will be able to spectate you in real-time via VR, or through "pre-programmed clips".

Naturally, not everything that's patented becomes a final, physical product, but the filings do go some way to intimate Sony's future VR plans, as well as indicate the capabilities of VR tech in the not-to-distant future.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Wait a second. You can't stand stuff on your head and you decided to buy the VR HEADset?

lol that is like my buying sunglasses when I hate things covering my eyes.

Jan 19, 2018
Wait a second. You can't stand stuff on your head and you decided to buy the VR HEADset?

lol that is like my buying sunglasses when I hate things covering my eyes.
Had to try it. I am a gaming freak. I have to wear glasses but I hate it. I wear sunglasses too but I hate it.