Upgraded my computer and monitor this week...

LT1FUN

Superior Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.cardomain.com
Never mind all the wires and mess you see in the background. I was so anctious to get everything up and running I didn't bother to clean/organize anything. :lol:

(Oh and before anybody comes out with the whole "you could have built a computer with the same spec's for 3/4 the cost" bla, bla, bla, just for your information, I happen to like having a warranty on my computer and in all honesty, I'm too lazy and simply don't have the time to go out and build my own, so there's your answer)

I finally got around to upgrading my main computer this week. It's a Dimention XPS 710 and the new (of coarse) is the3007WFP-HC 30" monitor to go along with it.

Some of the more notable spec's on this computer are

- Intel Core 2 Quad-Core(8MB L2 cache)
- 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
- 500GB HardDrive ( I have an external 1TB hard drive already so I saved money and just got a 500GB internal)
- Nvidea GeForce 8800 GTX (768MB DirectX 10 capable)
- Duel DVD drives
- Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 channel sound card

When the two delivery guy's showed up at the door with this thing on a dolly, I was a bit taken back at the size of the box. It was huge!

They carried it down stairs and set it on the carpet. I signed off on it and quickly tore my way into the box like a gitty little school girl.

The computer itself tips the scales at almost 85lbs and is even more sleek and cool looking in person than it does in photo's. The all-aluminum case is a work of art and the 8 programmable LED lights on the chassis , sets it off really nicely. Very clean and subtle looking. Very different from the gaudy looking "over-the-top" gaming systems my friends like to build with big ugly plastic cases and lights blinking on/off out from every corner. :rolleyes: The design of this system is first class.

I'm not too big on PC games though, so how many FPS it can score on the latest and greatest video games, I don't know, so don't ask me for any 3D mark scores - :lol:

My needs are mostly for photo/music/video editing which, (in case you're wondering) is the reason why I spent so much on this computer to begin with. I do a lot of video editing (it's a hobby of mine) and needed a computer fast and powerful enough to edit massive files, typical of HD resolutions. Since I've upgraded to an HD camcorder. My old XPS was starting to struggle with editing them, so and I decided it was time for an upgrade.

The same time I ordered my computer, I also ordered the new 3007wfp-HC 30" monitor as well. It's got a native resolution of 2560x1600 and after taking it out of the box and setting everything up, I can honestly say this is without question, in terms of visual clarity/quality, it's by far the most impressive monitor on the market today. My old 30" Apple display didn't hold a candle to this thing. The clarity and contrast level has to be seen to be believed. Photo's could never do this monitor justice so you'll just have to take my word for it that this is (in my opinion) by far the best monitor out there. I can't wait to buy an HD-DVD drive for this thing and see how good my HD-DVD movies look like on it. If they look half as good as my dedicated Toshiba HD-DVD player, I'll be VERY happy :wink:

I snapped off some pic's comparing the new 3007 to my old 24" 2045. This monitor is HUGE and even after two days of using it, I still can't get over how much screen real estate it has. 2560 x 1600 allows for so much on screen, I don't think I could ever go back to anything less.

I may have to pick up a second one and hook the two up side by side and take advantage of my Nvidea car's duel duel-link DVI out-puts :cool:

Dec 3, 2006
[QUOTE="LT1FUN, post: 0]Never mind all the wires and mess you see in the background. I was so anctious to get everything up and running I didn't bother to clean/organize anything. :lol:

(Oh and before anybody comes out with the whole "you could have built a computer with the same spec's for 3/4 the cost" bla, bla, bla, just for your information, I happen to like having a warranty on my computer and in all honesty, I'm too lazy and simply don't have the time to go out and build my own, so there's your answer)[/quote]
Order parts from Newegg and you'll get better service than you ever could from Dell. :p Yeah yeah I know you don't want to build your own but I'm just saying. :)

Nice setup, although the only parts I really like are the case and the 3007WFP. I would get one of those except it won't fit in my desk. :lol:

poematik14

Who's your daddy?
Nov 14, 2006
This is so unfair.

I have a 3 year old Compaq Presario S5100nx with a 2.6ghz Celeron processor and 32mb onboard GPU. Depressing. I die a little inside when it boots up.

The good news is Im getting a new mobo, Intel Dual Core E6400, Nvidia 7900gs, and 2 gigs of ram during the summer.

Scotracer

Master Poster
Sep 8, 2006
You lucky fella :)

If I was going for such a machine, I wouldn't have gone for Dell, but that's your choice. Props to you, mate!

And just think, you will be able to run Crysis at 2560x1600 maxed out on your PC...:shock:

iLLuSionS

Super Elite
Jul 20, 2006
dear gawd... gamer wasted money on buying a dell.

but nevertheless... amazing looking! ahaha, if only if i had that money!!! jealousy takes over!

knowitman

Dedicated Member
Nov 22, 2004
Nice computer. Makes me very jealous.

What amount of money did you have to part with in order to have this beast of a computer and monitor?

LT1FUN

Superior Member
Dec 31, 2005
www.cardomain.com
The computer itself, built with the parts I wanted, cost in the neighborhood of about $5G. The monitor was around another $2G. I got a free upgrade from 2GB to 4GB when I bought the computer so I saved some cash there as well.

7 grand is a lot of cash to dump all at one time I know, but what the hell, you only live once. :lol:

For some reason there are a number of people who either can't stand or even hate Dell. More than likely, the majority of those who hate the company, have probably never even owned a Dell product and are just going off of what they hear other's say the internet. :rolleyes:
It's as if hating Dell is the "cool thing" to do and I'll never understand it. Their customer service sucks, (I'd be the first to tell you that) but the computers they build are every bit as reliable/dependable as any other computer on the market. Which is to say they're only as good as the parts inside.

Dell is just the company that assembles the computer for you. They don't actually supply/use their own hardware. They use the very same parts that are available on any of the other computers on the market. Intel, AMD, Toshiba, Samsung, Nvidea, ATI, Creative etc. etc.
It's not as if they manufacture any of the hardware themselves, so I don't understand why anyone can claim that a computer built by Dell "sucks" but their own personal computer (be it a Sony/Compaq/HP or self built) is so much better. That doesn't make any sense.
These people need to wake up and realize that all these computers use all the same parts inside by all the same manufacturer's so performance/reliability should be the same regardless of the name on the outside of the case.

Perhaps if Dell actually built there own stuff, like a "Dell processor" "Dell hard drive" or "Dell ram" etc. etc. and these parts sucked, then and only then could you say the company itself sucks, but obviously that's not the case.

As I said, Dell just buys the parts (from the same places every other computer manufacturer/store buys them from) and assembles it for you.

In a lot of ways, buying a Dell is no different the "building" your own" as most people would recommend. You're still picking and choosing what parts you want and what options you need. The only difference really, is that (obviously) building it yourself gives you more manufacturers to choose parts from. But since Dell only uses the biggest names in the industry (as do most people who build their own computers) that's pretty much a non issue.

Do you really want that sound card built by some unknown company you've never heard of? Probably not. So having it as an option isn't all that it's cracked up to be is it?

Very rarely have I ever had a problem with any of my Dell computers. On the rare occasion that a part breaks down for no good reason, I don't blame Dell, I blame the company that made that part.

Just for the record, I picked up Far Cry last night. Never played the game before but thought I'd test it out. It's the first "PC" game I've ever actually bought :lol:

I'm running it with all bells and whistles turned up to the max and it's running at 2560x1600 at almost 100fps. :shock:
It's smooth as silk with no slow-down to be seen. Wow, and I thought my 360 had some pretty amazing graphic's.... I might actually start getting into PC games from here on out. :wink:

Oh and finally, to the member who suggested I buy a new chair, let me tell you, my current chair may not look like much, certainly nowhere near as fancy looking as my computer set-up, but sitting in it feels like sitting on a giant marsh-mellow :lol:
Once you sink into those fluffy cushions, you don't ever want to get up. :)

Dec 3, 2006
Dell may only assemble the parts but it's HOW they assemble the PC that's the big issue here. I build all of my own computers so I know that they're reliable and put together well.

For the majority of their parts, Dell buys their parts from the lowest bidder. So if it happens that the top performing part isn't the cheapest, it won't go in. It's all about the bottom line. Also, the motherboard is restricted by Dell and you can't have free access to the BIOS settings to overclock and whatnot.

As for the quality of their products, I've heard about 50/50 success and failure. My first Dell for instance came to my house with the heatsink and CPU ripped off the motherboard and sitting on the bottom of my case. Needless to say, that was my last Dell. However, my friends and family have had fine experiences for Dell.

I'm not trying to criticize you on your purchase of a XPS. It's just that in my opinion, you just paid more than you had to for your machine. Dell is fine for the casual computer buyer but for a hardcore user such as myself, building it yourself is the way to go.

Oh, and how much for the case? :)