US-PS3 in Europe: Power converter not needed.

B

babyface

A friend of mine managed to get a PS3 on his vacation in the states, and now he's using it here in Switzerland without a step-down converter - it works just fine. He opened the PS3 first to check, and inside it says clearly 110/220 V, 50/60 Hz, so it should work more or less anywhere. We've already played with it now for days on end, so there doesn't seem to be any problem with that.

Just wanted to let you know, as I remember some discussions around here about power converter issues.

shambles2

Superior Member
Dec 3, 2006
That's awesome. I'm heading over there on Tuesday night, i should bring my PS3 over there. Except i'm sure it would get stolen by a bagboy at an airport. Oh well, i'll live somehow without it.

Nov 10, 2006
anyone think this is just gonna be the initial models or all future models as well? It would kinda suck if you get like 2nd or 3rd shipments or the european version and it doesn't support both voltages.

A

Azumi

I confirm this. I have a Japanese PS3 60 GB, and she's plugged directly to 220V. I only had to get an adapter for the japanese plug.

On the same matter, I have a word of advice for all of those who still want to use a 110/220V transformer for whatever reason. In a local forum on home theater, a person almost destroyed his PS3 because he used a 100 Watt transformer. The PS3 requires 380 Watts and his transformer kind of blew up (luckily it turned out that his PS3 survived).

If some of you are unsure and want to use a transformer, make sure that it can handle 500 Watts at least.

Dec 16, 2006
Yep no probs running a US PS3 via a UK kettle fitted with a 3 fuse amp.

PS3 doesn't work though, won't recognise the BD's disks anymore.

It has also stopped playing demo's from the HDD, I get the following message when trying to play a demo, "an error occurred during the start operation. (80010510). It does however play movies fron the HDD.

Jan 11, 2007
Hi

I can confirm step down/up converters are not needed for PS3, if you buy one with two pin plug simply replace with three pin or as i did use an old monitor lead(which fits into PS3)

Also someone posted a question (cant remember who) asking if his NTSC games will play on PAL PS3 when they arrive - the answer is NO and the converse is true also (PAL games will not play on an NTSC console (as I have - Jap model)

jimmymackuk

Mar 15, 2007
Hi there, can i ask how about if i bought my PS3 in Canada. The back of my pS3 said 120v.....not sth like 110/230. Wt happen if i go to a place like HK and the voltage is 200sth....the plug in there is 3 foot, but in canada is 2 foot....i want to ask do i need a converter? Because i asked Sony by email and they told me that i cant play the PS3 in hk-.- Im worry that my PS3 will burn even though i use a converter while im playing in hong kong><

Aug 24, 2006
The PS3 will work in all regions supporting 100v to 240v. The PS3's label specifies a particular requirement for the region, ie 100v, 120v etc, but internally the PSU is a switching unit that adjusts to suit the input supply, there are photo's of the PS3 stripped down showing this if you do a search. It is possible future versions may have specific PSU for each region, highly unlikely though as this would interupt a streamlined production line with unnecessary region specific parts. So

B

babyface

Another note on the subject: A friend of mine first used a step-down converter he had, but the thing got fried, presumably due to the insane power consumption of the PS3. Once the converter was dead, he checked the PS3 internally and saw that he didn't really need a converter.

The point is, if you do use a power converter (maybe with newer PS3 models it's necessary), make sure it supports the PS3s requirements.

gabrielh

Dedicated Member
Oct 12, 2006
[QUOTE="babyface, post: 0]Another note on the subject: A friend of mine first used a step-down converter he had, but the thing got fried, presumably due to the insane power consumption of the PS3. Once the converter was dead, he checked the PS3 internally and saw that he didn't really need a converter.

The point is, if you do use a power converter (maybe with newer PS3 models it's necessary), make sure it supports the PS3s requirements.[/quote]

Hey where are you in Switzerland ? I'm Swiss too and moved to the US in 2006.
I lived in Yverdon.

Roth

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
www.psbeyond.com
It is not NEEDED... but it will most likely damage your PS3 in the long run.

My friend brought his computer from the United Arab Emerites to Canada. The voltage change didnt effect it until after a few months it fried his entire computer.

Feb 7, 2007
Got mine in US, plugged into NZ. Just grabbed a plug adapter and it's all fine. Mine also states very clearly 110v on a sticker on the back - it's a lie.

Jan 14, 2007
I contacted sony just to make sure and here's what i got:

Thank you for writing us.

You will only be able to play DVD's coded "region 1" or "region ALL" coded in
the NTSC format on the
North American PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system. Blue-ray
Discs(TM) (BD) that are
marked with the "region A" will be supported.

*When playing PLAYSTATION(R)3 format software, a display/monitor that supports
video playback at
60Hz is required. (Please contact the manufacturer of your display for video
playback support.)

Lastly, due to different television and voltage standards, and a variety of
licensing issues, Sony
Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) has implemented a territorial-based
distribution system for its
hardware, peripherals, and software. This limits the use of any particular
software to play on the
console designated for that distribution territory (e.g. North American games
will not play in the
systems designed for other regions, such as, Japan, Europe, etc.). You may also
experience problems
if you attempt to use memory sticks, controllers, etc. from a different region
(outside of North
America) on your North American console.

In addition, we would not recommend traveling with your North American
PLAYSTATION 3 system outside
of North America. Due to a difference in international television and voltage
standards, North
American PLAYSTATION 3 systems may not be compatible for use outside of North
America.

We do not have any information on adapters or converters made to override
territorial restrictions.
The various PlayStation(R) consoles and format software titles are only designed
to run in their
respective regions and countries. We apologize for any inconvenience.
should i just ignore his reply ?

Nov 3, 2008
hey guys, I have the 80gb ps3. studies abroad in south korea, and now I am back in the states and it is not working. do I need a step up/ step down transformer?

no1kevlin

Beware the Bomb-Head!
Mar 16, 2008
All PS3s have the same internal power system, Sony do not warrant for the use of different regions systems in other regions as that would mean them having to pay for certification for all units for all territories and they see no need to pay for that (understandably).

I live in UK and have owned a Japanese PS3, a Hong Kong PS3, a US PS3 and now have a UK PS3 and they have all run on the same 13amp kettle power lead. There is no technical reason why you cannot use a PS3 from one region in another just be aware that if you have any faults develop that Sony do not offer cross region warranties on PS3s.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Its probably easier to just use as much of the same components as possible which is why they used an auto switching transformer, using seperate transformers for different regions can cause problems if one person on the production line gets mixed up.

Feb 25, 2009
[QUOTE="no1kevlin, post: 0]All PS3s have the same internal power system, Sony do not warrant for the use of different regions systems in other regions as that would mean them having to pay for certification for all units for all territories and they see no need to pay for that (understandably).

I live in UK and have owned a Japanese PS3, a Hong Kong PS3, a US PS3 and now have a UK PS3 and they have all run on the same 13amp kettle power lead. There is no technical reason why you cannot use a PS3 from one region in another just be aware that if you have any faults develop that Sony do not offer cross region warranties on PS3s.[/quote]

How old are your systems? I have read many different things, in particular that Sony now puts different PSU's in for different regions.

Thanks

Jun 6, 2009
is there anyone who uses PS3 from Korea in US?

I just want to double check whether PS3 automatically recognizes the changes in voltage that is lower (220v to 120v)