Utorrent, what happened?

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6506081]uTorrent is ad-filled trash. It'll even randomly play movie ads, which is always a welcome surprise when one has their volume up blasting music. The app isn't what it used to be. If you like uTorrent, but hate what it's become, I'd recommend qBittorrent: http://www.qbittorrent.org/[/QUOTE]

I use qbittorrent as well, no accept this for x toolbar. Just a straight forward installation

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6506261]Get a VPN ... so you don't get your neighbor in trouble.[/QUOTE]

Is there another way to get FREE VPNs? Also, once I'm using another VPN I'm safe, right?

-Dj-

Veteran
May 8, 2009
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6506651]Is there another way to get FREE VPNs? Also, once I'm using another VPN I'm safe, right?[/QUOTE]
just torrent a crack pro bittorrent

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6506651]Is there another way to get FREE VPNs? Also, once I'm using another VPN I'm safe, right?[/QUOTE]
There are free VPNs, but they suck. I highly recommend NordVPN: https://nordvpn.com/. They're not US-based (I'd stay away from US-based VPNs), they don't keep any logs, and the speeds are very fast. It's 48 dollars a year, or roughly 4 bucks a month. You can even pay with BitCoin if you like. After you subscribe, you can use it on up to 6 devices, including your phone. It currently only works on iOS, but an Android version is in the works.

And yes, you'll be safe. There's also a killswitch mode which will kill any application you don't want running if the VPN disconnects.

Also, ignore what Dj just recommended.

robvandam111

Master Poster
Mar 11, 2010
Miami, Fl
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6506653]There are free VPNs, but they suck. I highly recommend NordVPN: https://nordvpn.com/. They're not US-based (I'd stay away from US-based VPNs), they don't keep any logs, and the speeds are very fast. It's 48 dollars a year, or roughly 4 bucks a month. You can even pay with BitCoin if you like. After you subscribe, you can use it on up to 6 devices, including your phone. It currently only works on iOS, but an Android version is in the works.

And yes, you'll be safe. There's also a killswitch mode which will kill any application you don't want running if the VPN disconnects.

Also, ignore what Dj just recommended.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Brandon, I'll wait for the android version instead then. I don't actually do it from the PC but with the mobile devices.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="robvandam111, post: 6506659]Thanks Brandon, I'll wait for the android version instead then. I don't actually do it from the PC but with the mobile devices.[/QUOTE]
I'll come back to this thread when the Android version is available to let you know.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Never had problems with uTorrent. I tried to switch at some point but didn't find something that I liked. I don't update my client often though, to avoid breaking compatibility with the various private trackers.
qBittorent works well.

Adverts can be disabled in settings. Google it.
With some fudging in the advanced settings, but I'm reading very mixed results.

Last edited by a moderator:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
Qbittorrent is OK it just has a couple of small things I don't like.

No stop, only pause.

When limiting speeds it shows the limited speed as well as the actual speed.

When adding torrents the save location can be hard to read because it includes the file name.

Might go back to utorrent 2.2x or whatever the last good version is.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6507344]Qbittorrent is OK it just has a couple of small things I don't like. [/QUOTE]
To be fair I have gone ahead and switched to qbittorrent :) it does seem to work almost exactly like uTorrent if only slightly less features and adjustable settings.

So thanks Brandon, qBittorrent is a good recommendation :icon_thumright:

[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6507344]When limiting speeds it shows the limited speed as well as the actual speed.[/QUOTE]
Not sure what you mean there keefy. Can you explain more? Where are you looking here? Are you using the magnet links or adding torrent manually?

[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6507344]When adding torrents the save location can be hard to read because it includes the file name.[/QUOTE]
This is true iirc. Just gonna check exactly what's what there.

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
When downloading or seeding it shows your speed in the bottom right of qbittorrent, but if like me you limit upload speed it shows that as well kind of like this.

U: [800KB/s] 321KB/s

800 is the limited speed.

Last edited:

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
OK I see that. I don't mind that, at least I can see it's doing what it's supposed to. I do use limiting between 6am and 12pm. Outside of that it goes at full whack.

edit: I should say I use limiting because I have been limited before. I don't know but I think some neighbours complained of crappy speeds. All I know is for a period of around 2 weeks (some time ago now) everytime I went to use the internet (or booted torrent app) the service just cut out and gave me dial-up speeds, like they put some limiting on it, I was like WTF!! but soon figured why that was. After switching to limited bandwidth I've had no problems on that front.

Last edited:

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6507584]Again, there is NOTHING wrong with Utorrent, no idea wtf you lot have done or are doing to it.[/QUOTE]
You're right, it's totally fine. Some people just don't like those ads in the top bar I guess. That guide should help optimise uTorrent too. Same stuff, different app, that's all.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6507584]Again, there is NOTHING wrong with Utorrent, no idea wtf you lot have done or are doing to it.[/QUOTE]
Just installed it and noticed the ads taking up lots of screen space and using CPU time, I noticed a slight lag when the ads changed on my laptop along the ability to pay for stupid features nobody needs let alone wants.

It's not what it once was which is why I started using it so therefore I stopped using it.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Brandon wth man! lol
You answered by editing my post!
The edit is not visible on Tapatalk and I went "WTF when did I say that!"

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6507623]Brandon wth man! lol

[/QUOTE]

I thought you edited your post later on after doing some research or something to say that.

Obviously that was not the case.

P.S
Turn Bluetooth off to increase battery life :)

Last edited:

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
Tbh the risk using torrents is so high now. I watched a video on YouTube and the various amount of ways Microsoft can spy on you is scary, almost to the point that when I log on I think I'm being watched

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6507625]I thought you edited your post later on after doing some research or something to say that.

Obviously that was not the case.

P.S
Turn Bluetooth off to increase battery life :)[/QUOTE]

Nah, that was Brandon messing with my head. lol

I stand by what I said. You find a client that you are satisfied, you keep it and only update when something stops working. Been doing that for the last 10 years and I've had very few problems with uTorrent.
As for the ads, I disabled them in settings once when I had to update uTorrent a year or something ago and haven't seen an ad since.

I used to turn wifi and Bluetooth on/off fanatically until I realised it didn't affect battery life enough to continue doing it. Now I just leave them on and forget it. :p

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6507623]Brandon wth man! lol

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, lol. Sorry dude. I was wondering where my post went and why you said exactly what I was thinking. Dunno what I'm on. ~__~

[QUOTE="MacP, post: 6507639]Tbh the risk using torrents is so high now. I watched a video on YouTube and the various amount of ways Microsoft can spy on you is scary, almost to the point that when I log on I think I'm being watched[/QUOTE]
Use Linux ... or a Mac ... or a Seedbox.

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6507362]When downloading or seeding it shows your speed in the bottom right of qbittorrent, but if like me you limit upload speed it shows that as well kind of like this.

U: [800KB/s] 321KB/s

800 is the limited speed.[/QUOTE]

The latest update fixes a few of my issues with Qbittorent so more happy now. The actual speed is in front of the limited speed for example.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
www.nordvpn.com[/URL] and download as you please.
Thanks. I am now secured ;) Very good price and an incredibly painless setup. Download software, run .exe, select apps to add to kill list, and that's it. Super-easy and confidence in privacy. Can't get better than that.

[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6507947]The latest update fixes a few of my issues with Qbittorent so more happy now. The actual speed is in front of the limited speed for example.[/QUOTE]
Just got that.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Major, post: 6508033]Thanks. I am now secured ;) Very good price and an incredibly painless setup. Download software, run .exe, select apps to add to kill list, and that's it. Super-easy and confidence in privacy. Can't get better than that.[/QUOTE]
It's the best VPN service I've used and I've tried many. They're also based in Panama and they don't give a flying shite about P2P. I keep it on most of the time in general, especially when I'm banking and whatnot. They have Tor over VPN and they also have a Double VPN which encrypts your data twice. I use that when I'm paranoid.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I subbed to them and not impressed, the speeds are low even when simply browsing the internets, get about 2mbit on a speed test and any P2P runs even worse.
Sometimes doesn't let me connect for no reason and logs me out of th program.

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6508081]I subbed to them and not impressed, the speeds are low even when simply browsing the internets, get about 2mbit on a speed test and any P2P runs even worse.
Sometimes doesn't let me connect for no reason and logs me out of th program.[/QUOTE]
There's a plethora of servers that you can connect to. You need to find one that works best for your location. I consistently get about 90% of my actual bandwidth. I get about 60-65 Mbps from my 75 Mbps connection, so you need to do a bit of trial and error finding the best server. Some will be slow and some will be extremely fast. You generally wanna pick the server with the lowest ping in your area. Low ping and low server load are both good things to look for. There are advanced settings in both the Mac and PC version that show you every server they have and what their ping and load are. They have live chat support 24 hours a day in which you can ask them anything and they're more than happy to help. They've helped me with any issues I've had getting it up and running. You can't just write them off from that experience. You should've contacted support.