Utorrent, what happened?

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I tried lots already but they were all shite and even though it said its a UK based one, the Geoip said Romania so visiting some sites auto directed to the aforementioned language site.

Finally found one that gives good performance. Only have 76Mbit and never ever gotten that fast before, its normally around the 60Mnit mark and even less with wifi which this test was done with.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6508079]It's the best VPN service I've used and I've tried many. They're also based in Panama and they don't give a flying shite about P2P. I keep it on most of the time in general, especially when I'm banking and whatnot. They have Tor over VPN and they also have a Double VPN which encrypts your data twice. I use that when I'm paranoid.[/QUOTE]
Never used a VPN before but that was super-easy. You may laugh now but I've already cancelled it. It slowed my browsing/streaming experience significantly and just got more and more annoying yesterday so it's gone for now. Sure, I'm paranoid about snooping etc but I've never been issued any kind of warning... yet! I'm gonna wait until the pressure really get's on top before using a VPN regularly.

That double encryption is pretty good though. It already seemed very secure with 2048 bit encryption. Doing that twice has got to be amazingly secure, so credit for that.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
seedboxes are better for p2p because yoou can run it 24/7 and it doesn't affect you plus with you get a proxy included, on the more expensive boxes a VPN also.
Lots more expensive than a five per month tough. I used to use Xirvik.
https://www.xirvik.com/seedboxes

Having to faff about picking the best server from 30 or more is tedious and crap. Currently tested aroun6 and the best so far is half my download speed. I cannot be mithered testing anymore so just stick with this one.

Also google searches make you do a captcha test

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Major, post: 6508122]Never used a VPN before but that was super-easy. You may laugh now but I've already cancelled it. It slowed my browsing/streaming experience significantly and just got more and more annoying yesterday so it's gone for now. Sure, I'm paranoid about snooping etc but I've never been issued any kind of warning... yet! I'm gonna wait until the pressure really get's on top before using a VPN regularly.

That double encryption is pretty good though. It already seemed very secure with 2048 bit encryption. Doing that twice has got to be amazingly secure, so credit for that.[/QUOTE]
Seriously ... if you're having horrific speed issues contact the 24/7 support on their website. You're not going to get max speed from a VPN and that's not even what they're intended for.

[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6508125]seedboxes are better for p2p because yoou can run it 24/7 and it doesn't affect you plus with you get a proxy included, on the more expensive boxes a VPN also.
Lots more expensive than a five per month tough. I used to use Xirvik.
https://www.xirvik.com/seedboxes

Having to faff about picking the best server from 30 or more is tedious and crap. Currently tested aroun6 and the best so far is half my download speed. I cannot be mithered testing anymore so just stick with this one.

Also google searches make you do a captcha test[/QUOTE]
Seedboxes are nice, yes. I like Feral Hosting: https://www.feralhosting.com/pricing

You can set your favorite server and have it connect to it automatically in the advanced settings. I'm sorry your experience sucked, but the entire point of the VPN isn't to give you max internet speed, it's to hide your ass and protect your privacy. A seedbox isn't going to do that for you while you're browsing the internet. And you don't always need to use it. There's no sense in using it to stream unless you are trying to circumvent whatever you're streaming to access content from other countries like on YouTube. Or for instance ... you want to listen to Pandora while you're in a foreign country in which Pandora isn't supported and you set your IP to a country in which it is. There are a million uses for a VPN. VPN's were never intended to give you super max speed. They're to protect your privacy when you want it. If you're in China in which a crapload of things are blocked ... you can use a VPN to bypass their internet filtering and access whatever you like. I use it at work to bypass the filter and hide my browsing activity.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6508215]Seriously ... if you're having horrific speed issues contact the 24/7 support on their website. You're not going to get max speed from a VPN and that's not even what they're intended for.

Seedboxes are nice, yes. I like Feral Hosting: https://www.feralhosting.com/pricing

You can set your favorite server and have it connect to it automatically in the advanced settings. I'm sorry your experience sucked, but the entire point of the VPN isn't to give you max internet speed, it's to hide your ass and protect your privacy. A seedbox isn't going to do that for you while you're browsing the internet. And you don't always need to use it. There's no sense in using it to stream unless you are trying to circumvent whatever you're streaming to access content from other countries like on YouTube. Or for instance ... you want to listen to Pandora while you're in a foreign country in which Pandora isn't supported and you set your IP to a country in which it is. There are a million uses for a VPN. VPN's were never intended to give you super max speed. They're to protect your privacy when you want it. If you're in China in which a crapload of things are blocked ... you can use a VPN to bypass their internet filtering and access whatever you like. I use it at work to bypass the filter and hide my browsing activity.[/QUOTE]

You sold it as the ability to get a good download speed, saying such things as "i get 90% of my speed" and "they dotn give a fuck about P2P" and "download as you please" no Browse as you please.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6508223]You sold it as the ability to get a good download speed, saying such things as "i get 90% of my speed" and "they dotn give a fuck about P2P" and "download as you please" no Browse as you please.[/QUOTE]
And all those things are true for me. But you won't get 100% speed on any VPN service ... your traffic is being encrypted through a tunnel.

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
My ISP provides a free VPN service in retaliation to the new EU laws. Never used it though in fear of worse internet speeds. Maybe I should give it a try.

Does it impact latency too?

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="MjW, post: 6508246]My ISP provides a free VPN service in retaliation to the new EU laws. Never used it though in fear of worse internet speeds. Maybe I should give it a try.

Does it impact latency too?[/QUOTE]
Latency will increase too but not by much, it's still can be rather low, heck I even did some gaming last night because I forgot to turn it off first.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6508277]Latency will increase too but not by much, it's still can be rather low, heck I even did some gaming last night because I forgot to turn it off first.[/QUOTE]
I've done online gaming with it without any issues and had low latency. I think it will depend on your location.

Major

Forum Elder
Apr 10, 2014
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6508215]Seriously ... if you're having horrific speed issues contact the 24/7 support on their website. You're not going to get max speed from a VPN and that's not even what they're intended for.[/quote]
Sure, I appreciate that. It just made me rethink some things. I don't need it for now but of course things may change.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Major, post: 6508292]Sure, I appreciate that. It just made me rethink some things. I don't need it for now but of course things may change.[/QUOTE]
No problem, man.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6508286]I've done online gaming with it without any issues and had low latency. I think it will depend on your location.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice the difference because it was, after testing negligable.

Without: min 16 / Max 20

VPN: min 20 / Max 23

Obviously that is with using a VPN in my own Country.