Versus losing overworld map, in favour of FF# style

Byoushinn

Elite Sage
Mar 22, 2007
Posted in the FNC thread but worth it's own discussion
Nomura discusses FF Versus XIII’s world map

Tetsuya Nomura was interviewed in this week’s Famitsu issue. Although most of the interview is about Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, he also discussed Final Fantasy Versus XIII for a little bit.
According to the interview, the world map in the upcoming game has changed. Originally, a miniature version of Noctics would have run around the world map. Because it looked a little bit odd, however, Square Enix decided to change it to resemble another Final Fantasy title (Famitsu blocked the number off).
Due to changes like that, the original plan to reveal the Final Fantasy Versus XIII at this year’s E3 is in jeopardy, according to Tetsuya Nomura. He is currently talking with other producers at Square Enix to make sure that they balance the game unveiling with other upcoming Square Enix titles.
PS. Don't take the 'not at E3' thing too seriously, Nomura said it wouldn't be at TGS or Jump and it was at both :lol:

So, he's ditched the FFVII-IX era world map because he felt that a small Noctis running around looked odd, which #FF style do you think, or hope it's replaced by?

Byoushinn

Elite Sage
Mar 22, 2007
[QUOTE="BlinkyEC, post: 0]I bet it's FF8[/quote]

Isn't that the same style he described as ditching? miniature Noctis is equivalent to FFVII/VIII/IX style no?

I wonder what all of this means for controllable airships and such

F

FinalReaper

[QUOTE="Fergus2k8, post: 0]As long as it has a open world map I don't care.[/quote]

This.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
FFXII-style with no loading screens, like XII itself was originally supposed to be. I don't necessarily want a completely open world ala Elder Scrolls, but one that's a bit more "controlled" which still has a decent amount of exploration & alternative/optional paths available.

LegendaryAim

Master Poster
Jan 6, 2008
FFXII-Map is something I was actually originally hoping for. Hopefully in some areas we'll be allowed to use a vehicle to travel across terrain

Byoushinn

Elite Sage
Mar 22, 2007
[QUOTE="Azu, post: 0]FFXII-style with no loading screens, like XII itself was originally supposed to be. I don't necessarily want a completely open world ala Elder Scrolls, but one that's a bit more "controlled" which still has a decent amount of exploration & alternative/optional paths available.[/quote]

That seems most likely, i think a menu based map like FFX would accelerate development time not cause a delay
But having said that, how are we gonna have controllable airships?

Stev3

Superior Member
Aug 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
FFXII most likely, better than a miniature Noctis overworld.

[QUOTE="Byoushinn, post: 0]That seems most likely, i think a menu based map like FFX would accelerate development time not cause a delay
But having said that, how are we gonna have controllable airships?[/quote]
I've been wondering about that as well.

Aizen-Sama

Master Poster
Jan 16, 2009
I dunno this doesn't really confirm the the traditional style world-map has been ditched. I think he would say that they have scrapped it if it was the case.

Regarding the E3 no show... I saw another translation that said an E3 on stage presentation is doubtful.

A new lengthy trailer for us is almost certain to happen.

Byoushinn

Elite Sage
Mar 22, 2007
[QUOTE="Metal Militia, post: 0]So, why did Famitsu censor the numbers?[/quote]

SE wouldn't let them publish that info, for whatever reason

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Byoushinn, post: 0]Isn't that the same style he described as ditching? miniature Noctis is equivalent to FFVII/VIII/IX style no?

I wonder what all of this means for controllable airships and such[/quote]

That only leaves a very few. Considering the hate I have for te travel system in X and X-2 I am going to hazzard a guess at XII. Seriously that is the only one left.

If it plays like XI, actually navigation through environments instead of maps, then it would rock. But that sounds like too much work.

Jun 9, 2006
Tbilisi, Georgia
As mentioned before a hybrid of FFXII and vehicles would be pretty cool. Imagine being able to do both the Tiny bronco situation, with Noctis' car and then get an airship later!

Though with the gameplay having been said to take into account massive elevations as well. (An interview long ago, cant see to find it.) Navigation as a whole should be interesting.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Byoushinn, post: 0]That seems most likely, i think a menu based map like FFX would accelerate development time not cause a delay
But having said that, how are we gonna have controllable airships?[/quote]
Well... when Nomura said that he was shown what the dev team had come up with in regards to flying airships, like, 2 years ago, he also said that they could still ditch the idea, that airships are not 100% guaranteed to be in the game, that they were just experimenting with the idea. So it could be that, with this change, airships are also out. Or not, PS3 should be more than capable rendering the world, especially if they make a capable data-streaming system. Or the airship segments could only be limited to dog-fights that are fought within areas with (invisible) borders.

Apr 10, 2008
www.ffxivinfo.com
I rather have a XII style map than old style. You can still have controllable airships. Look how massive and detailed a game like GTA IV's map is and it has flight without issues. An FF world would be bigger but less detailed. When in control of an airship you can have less details appearing on the ground/in the distance.

Jun 14, 2009
It's not really losing the world map, it's just being changed from whatever they had. So there will still be one.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to think of a miniature Noctis running around (sounds weird) since in the FFVII - FFIX era, you had large models of the characters running around.

Going old school would look weird quite frankly.

I've been hoping that the World Map would be like DQVIII. FFXII was okay, but it was still broken into zones.

I want the above, evolved, in FF Versus XIII. Now that would be absolute quality.

Byoushinn

Elite Sage
Mar 22, 2007
[QUOTE="Sephiroth27, post: 0]aww I was looking forward to old world map style :([/quote]

Same! :( I was diggin' the idea of retro world map
Hopefully the change is for the best though, in Nomura i trust

kupo

Superior Member
Aug 28, 2008
I 'd love to have a modernized old-school world map!
Also come on guys, do you really believe that FFVersus will release at 2011? I say 2013. Even FFXIV seems now that it will get a 2011 release, but that's Square Enix.

Byoushinn

Elite Sage
Mar 22, 2007
[QUOTE="kupo, post: 0]I 'd love to have a modernized old-school world map!
Also come on guys, do you really believe that FFVersus will release at 2011? I say 2013. Even FFXIV seems now that it will get a 2011 release, but that's Square Enix.[/quote]

2013? No way :p
I expect Winter of this year in Japan, maybe spring now due to the Map delay

Jun 14, 2009
[QUOTE="kupo, post: 0]I 'd love to have a modernized old-school world map!
Also come on guys, do you really believe that FFVersus will release at 2011? I say 2013. Even FFXIV seems now that it will get a 2011 release, but that's Square Enix.[/quote]
Yes.

It's been in development for over 4 years.

Some of the FFXIII team will now also move onto helping the Versus team, and none of the Versus Team will be allocated to the former since the project is complete. So not only do they have their full members helping, they will also gain additional help.

By April, FFXIII will also be completely out of the way as a title, the focus will be on FFXIV and in particular, Versus to be released since they are the next major projects.

It's not going to take them nearly a decade to create one game.

If we're lucky, we're looking at late 2010, but a more realistic outcome is sometime in the first half of 2011.

And hopefully, it'll be a Worldwide release.

Seeing as they closed the window down to 3 months with FFXIII, I don't see any reason why they couldn't get rid of it completely for Versus. It'd be awesome if they did.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Yeah, a worldwide release is pretty much all but officially confirmed at this point. This time they shouldn't even have to worry about any ports, so all effort can go into just getting the localized versions out at the same time as the Japanese one.