VG247: Devs say PS4 has a 50% raw power advantage over 720.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5988478]It says in the first line " developers after a meeting at CES"
The only thing I know thats Gaf related is a journalist who posts on Gaf regarding this article who said its semi accurate but wasn't allowed to say what parts was invalid or not

Sent via Codec[/QUOTE]

Full picture is here...

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...Looks-like-a-monster-with-parts-ahead-of-time

Read my post..it gels with this, just a lot more of the picture.

[QUOTE="Vulgotha, post: 5988501]Well, the conclusions about overall capabilities of the machines are conflicting as you said. Some say Durango>Orbis, others say Orbis>Durango and yet still there are those who state that they're near identical.

I recognize that MS probably has more raw cash to sink into this than Sony does, given their financial straits, but if they're packaging a Kinect 2.0 sensor in each box... Then something has to take a hit. And I'm gonna guess that they'd rather sacrifice performance than that Kinect 2.0 unit if that's part of their new strategy.[/QUOTE]

Id suggest you gave have a read too, and yeah flop per flop, very very similar, but these guys are raving about what the oban chip is bringing to the party.

Its going to be 1 SOC raw grunt vs 3 SOC with an xtra chip to help the 3 SOC's.

Last edited:

X2

Elite Guru
Oct 13, 2004
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5988503]Full picture is here...

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...Looks-like-a-monster-with-parts-ahead-of-time

Read my post..it gels with this, just a lot more of the picture.[/QUOTE]

A Mynd check out what I posted here: http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...box-720-Will-Be-More-Powerful-Than-PS4-Report

Also leaks are imminent given the fact that some journalists got a hold of the paperwork via the CES meeting and it said that multiple outlets are preparing to leak the info.

Last edited:

mistercrow

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 10, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5988500]Actually if you read them all and understand them they are all saying pretty much the same thing, just the conclusions people are getting are half arsed in some of the (like VG247).

The various rumours and chip names are all starting to come together in a very solid set of rumors.[/QUOTE]

I'm referring to the conflicting conclusions about which is more powerful.

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007

Id suggest you gave have a read too, and yeah flop per flop, very very similar, but these guys are raving about what the oban chip is bringing to the party.

Its going to be 1 SOC raw grunt vs 3 SOC with an xtra chip to help the 3 SOC's.[/QUOTE]

I read it, but is this mouth frothing insanity even true? Some of the shit they're talking about for the next Xbox is pretty insane and hard to believe. How the hell could they sell this at a competitive price?

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="radgamer420, post: 5988507]I'm referring to the conflicting conclusions about which is more powerful.[/QUOTE]

Its because people aren't really understanding how these systems are put together, which as I have always stated will be the difference. Id love to know what exactly Oban does.
I aint drawing any conclusions yet, but i do know reading what we have, that both systems on paper are about even in terms of total teraflops.

Mar 11, 2006
It's a real hoot that the *NOW INFAMOUS* rumor-gasm in ->2011<-, giving a configuration and reveal date of the 720 during CES2012 has now been exchanged for that being the PS4, and what was once rumored for the PS4, a consolized Power7 and AMD Sea Island GPU, is now being described as the 720. This gets more and more ridiculous. AMD is rapidly approaching a dollar stock, the long time lead left, several of the senior engineers left for Nvidia and AMD is filing action, claiming they went over to Nvidia with 100,000 pages of documents. If you actually believe AMD is going to be the GPU for the PS4, then go ahead and drink the kool aid. The PS4 is going to be the one with the consolized Power7 and a Nvidia Maxwell GPU.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 5988518]It's a real hoot that the *NOW INFAMOUS* rumor-gasm in ->2011<-, giving a configuration and reveal date of the 720 during CES2012 has now been exchanged for that being the PS4, and what was once rumored for the PS4, a consolized Power7 and AMD Southern Island GPU, is now being described as the 720. This gets more and more ridiculous. AMD is rapidly approaching a dollar stock, the long time lead left, several of the senior engineers left for Nvidia and AMD is filing action, claiming they went over to Nvidia with 100,000 pages of documents. If you actually believe AMD is going to be the GPU for the PS4, then go ahead and drink the kool aid. The PS4 is going to be the one with the consolized Power7 and a Nvidia Maxwell GPU.[/QUOTE]

I actually hear that the PS4 will be running with dual Voodoo2 boards in SLI mode!

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="Bligmerk, post: 5988518]It's a real hoot that the *NOW INFAMOUS* rumor-gasm in ->2011<-, giving a configuration and reveal date of the 720 during CES2012 has now been exchanged for that being the PS4, and what was once rumored for the PS4, a consolized Power7 and AMD Southern Island GPU, is now being described as the 720. This gets more and more ridiculous. AMD is rapidly approaching a dollar stock, the long time lead left, several of the senior engineers left for Nvidia and AMD is filing action, claiming they went over to Nvidia with 100,000 pages of documents. If you actually believe AMD is going to be the GPU for the PS4, then go ahead and drink the kool aid. The PS4 is going to be the one with the consolized Power7 and a Nvidia Maxwell GPU.[/QUOTE]
You really believe Sony are going IBM?
Ive never heard that rumor.

Oct 18, 2006
[QUOTE="daLa, post: 5988538]I don't understand if PS4 has 1.7 teraflops + 4 GB RAM and Xbox 720 has 1.2 teraflops + 8 GB RAM, which one is supposed to be better?[/QUOTE]

Only time will tell...either that or ask Mr. Owl

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="daLa, post: 5988538]I don't understand if PS4 has 1.7 teraflops + 4 GB RAM and Xbox 720 has 1.2 teraflops + 8 GB RAM, which one is supposed to be better?[/QUOTE]

These are GPU ratings only and the rumoured figures are actually..

1.7 tf +4 gb ram
2x 1.2tf +8gb ram as the rumour is the Xbox has dual GPU's

No one knows, its going to be how they are put together, terflops dont really mean jack.
On paper, GPU wise, if these rumors are true then is will 1.7 vs 2.4, but in an efficiency manner, who knows. Id tend to take 1x1.7 vs 2x 1.2.
but again, really depends how they drive those dual GPU's.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory

Its going to be 1 SOC raw grunt vs 3 SOC with an xtra chip to help the 3 SOC's.[/QUOTE]

I read that article you posted in that thread on Gaf, its a load of BS, basically
Though PS4 is rumoured to have a 2 GPU's and Sony's patent kinda confirms it too

Sent via Codec

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5988561]I read that article you posted in that thread on Gaf, its a load of BS, basically
Though PS4 is rumoured to have a 2 GPU's and Sony's patent kinda confirms it too

Sent via Codec[/QUOTE]

LOL, why is it a load of BS? Its the most legitimate in depth one Ive seen and and ties in nicely with what we have previously heard.
It even ties in with this thread.

Gaf is a bunch of wanna be's who think they no better than everyone else.

X2

Elite Guru
Oct 13, 2004
Here's what an insider on Gaf had to say about both articles:
Originally Posted by lherre:
In my opinion both machines will be very close, with some details in favor for each one, but I think we will have a ps360 situation again with 2 machines very close.

And some details in the articles are simply wrong.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5988561]I read that article you posted in that thread on Gaf, its a load of BS, basically

Sent via Codec[/QUOTE]

its mainly all plagurised from mistacream's posts on B3D. the guy is intelligent, but the forum would be better without his poorly worded speculation. and that's certainly all it is.

if that was the xbox720 it would blow the ps4 out of the water - and thats not that likely. from either side.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5988564]LOL, why is it a load of BS? Its the most legitimate in depth one Ive seen and and ties in nicely with what we have previously heard.

Gaf is a bunch of wanna be's who think they no better than everyone else.[/QUOTE]

go and have a look at the source. its all nicked from mistacream's posts. they are tedious and i really wouldn't put much faith in them.

*edit, think he got banned, and is now posting as misterXmedia.

he might end up being right, but it appears to all be disjointed speculation based on scouring patent applications and upcoming tech like stacking.

Last edited:

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5988564]LOL, why is it a load of BS? Its the most legitimate in depth one Ive seen and and ties in nicely with what we have previously heard.

Gaf is a bunch of wanna be's who think they no better than everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Like J3ff3 said, that article was based on a blog post which even Nowgamer reported on and then updated with the article I posted here
They're just rumours for us to discuss about, nothing concrete untill we get official release
But VG247 was the ones that leaked the Vita info before so thats enough to raise a brow, no?

Btw heres the Nowgamer report

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1769813/nextgen_xbox_720_will_be_more_powerful_than_ps4_report.html

Sent via Codec

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
[QUOTE="TGO, post: 5988627]Like J3ff3 said, that article was based on a blog post which even Nowgamer reported on and then updated with the article I posted here
They're just rumours for us to discuss about, nothing concrete untill we get official release
But VG247 was the ones that leaked the Vita info before so thats enough to raise a brow, no?

Btw heres the Nowgamer report

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1769813/nextgen_xbox_720_will_be_more_powerful_than_ps4_report.html

Sent via Codec[/QUOTE]

Oh I aint taking anything as legit, or illegit, but to dismiss it as BS, seems a lot like these people know better, when they dont.

daLa

Veteran
May 22, 2006
www.myspace.com
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5988544]These are GPU ratings only and the rumoured figures are actually..

1.7 tf +4 gb ram
2x 1.2tf +8gb ram as the rumour is the Xbox has dual GPU's

No one knows, its going to be how they are put together, terflops dont really mean jack.
On paper, GPU wise, if these rumors are true then is will 1.7 vs 2.4, but in an efficiency manner, who knows. Id tend to take 1x1.7 vs 2x 1.2.
but again, really depends how they drive those dual GPU's.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, and yeah I guess we'll just have to wait. I'm really hoping PS4 is better than Xbox 720 cause I'll be buying the best console instead of just going with the PS4.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="mynd, post: 5988650]Oh I aint taking anything as legit, or illegit, but to dismiss it as BS, seems a lot like these people know better, when they dont.[/QUOTE]

but when you've got vg247 posting information from an 'insider', when that information originated from a forum member - who by his own admission was just guessing that a blitter and raytracing unit could be included - you've got to question their accuracy.

honestly, i read all this crap 4 or 5 days ago posted on b3d or semi-accurate (can't remember which) from mistercream. he wasn't taken seriously then, and isn't now - and i certainly never saw him, or anyone else claim he had insider knowledge. he was just exploring patents and potential hardware.

for this architecture to then 'popup' as a source in a mainstream article seems incredibly suspicious/unlikely to be accurate.

as i said, i'd love it to be true. but i doubt it.

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
[QUOTE="J3ff3, post: 5988671]but when you've got vg247 posting information from an 'insider', when that information originated from a forum member - who by his own admission was just guessing that a blitter and raytracing unit could be included - you've got to question their accuracy.

honestly, i read all this crap 4 or 5 days ago posted on b3d or semi-accurate (can't remember which) from mistercream. he wasn't taken seriously then, and isn't now - and i certainly never saw him, or anyone else claim he had insider knowledge. he was just exploring patents and potential hardware.

for this architecture to then 'popup' as a source in a mainstream article seems incredibly suspicious/unlikely to be accurate.

as i said, i'd love it to be true. but i doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Word of advice for B3D: observe, don't participate. A good lot of them, including the mod staff like Shifty_Geezer, are nothing but a bunch of assholes with aspergers syndrome.

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Vulgotha, post: 5988674]Word of advice for B3D: observe, don't participate. A good lot of them, including the mod staff like Shifty_Geezer, are nothing but a bunch of assholes with aspergers syndrome.[/QUOTE]

agreed. i don't get involved. but like i said, i read this all days ago.

[HR][/HR] It is kinda funny that Nowgamers rumor indicates Next Xbox would have "blitter". That idea didnt float around until we had started talking about it.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=31379&page=758

kind of puts paid to their 'insider' imo.

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="Vulgotha, post: 5988674]Word of advice for B3D: observe, don't participate. A good lot of them, including the mod staff like Shifty_Geezer, are nothing but a bunch of assholes with aspergers syndrome.[/QUOTE]
Lmao

Sent via Codec

J3ff3

Elite Guru
Dec 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 5988701]Are those b3d guys really taking this shit http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/113960.html as the source of their proof? That has to be one of the biggest fanboy sites I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

no, you have it the wrong way around. they have dismissed it out of hand because it includes information that they made up.

either they are endowed with future seeing powers or have guess incredibly accurately (as they've admitted to not having any insider info and where only guessing what the rumour 'custom blocks' were - added to the fact that blitters were last used in atari's/pre gpus as far as i'm aware) or the 'source' of this new rumour (reposted by a few major sites) is either nonexistant, or taking them for a ride.

the blitter comment was a joke by a poster as far as i'm aware. i don't really remember :)