Vision Game Engine for NGP Real-time Tech Demo

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Chille, post: 5503053]Pretty damn impressive expect for the background in the distance looked kind of meh.[/QUOTE]

[video=youtube;Z8a_2dx7n_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8a_2dx7n_E[/video]

I don't think any top game companies will be using this engine

Mar 24, 2007
Your House.
[QUOTE="ONQ, post: 5503054][video=youtube;Z8a_2dx7n_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8a_2dx7n_E[/video]

I don't think any top game companies will be using this engine[/QUOTE]
Well no they will all be using either there own or unreal, but this may help with the start of the gen by giving basic building blocks towards building there own engine.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
This is good looking but I still think the Unreal tech demo is the most impressive.
[video=youtube;WyNSJHafxrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNSJHafxrA[/video]

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
[QUOTE="Chille, post: 5503055]Well no they will all be using either there own or unreal, but this may help with the start of the gen by giving basic building blocks towards building there own engine.[/QUOTE]

yeah I can see a lot of the people that make small PC & smart phone games using this, & I also think NGP might end up with the upper hand when it come to support because of all the small companies that will be able to make games for NGP & the bigger ones that can make big games that share assets with PS3/XBOX 360 / PC / iOS & so on

Mar 24, 2007
Your House.
[QUOTE="ONQ, post: 5503064]yeah I can see a lot of the people that make small PC & smart phone games using this, & I also think NGP might end up with the upper hand when it come to support because of all the small companies that will be able to make games for NGP & the bigger ones that can make big games that share assets with PS3/XBOX 360 / PC / iOS & so on[/QUOTE]
Yeah I think alot of people are underestimating its potential as an all rounds game machine for both casual and hardcore alike.

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 5503061]This is good looking but I still think the Unreal tech demo is the most impressive.
[video=youtube;WyNSJHafxrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNSJHafxrA[/video][/QUOTE]

I agree, this one looks tons better, cant believe its UE.

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
More information about the Vision Game Engine

Unlike other
mobile devices, which have very limited shader performance and therefore require
fairly simple pixel shaders, NGP allows us to use most of the heavyweight shader
set included in the Vision Game Engine for PC and home consoles. For example,
our Fantasy game scene (images enclosed), with parallax mapping, normal maps,
detailed characters with 10k+ triangles, and many other advanced graphical
features, runs fine on NGP, even with 4xMSAA.

Since a lot of the
functionality in the Vision Game Engine is fully multi-threaded, our game engine
tech benefits nicely from the symmetrical multi-core architecture of NGP.
Animations, mesh deformation, visibility determination, physics, streaming, and
other subsystems are parallelized with the rendering and the game code. Together
with a variety of GPU- and CPU-related optimizations we implemented for NGP,
this allows us to run many scenes built for PS3 directly on NGP with few or no
modifications – and at nice frame rates.

It's just a tech demo
but these are the first direct-feed screens we get from NGP

And from the comments
section:

How about adding
shadows (because there are none at all in either scene)? I know very well the
hardware can handle it. I would prioritize shadowing over 4xMSAA (which is a
huge performance hog, especially on a handheld, and not necessarily needed as
much on a small screen). Why not look into less-expensive MLAA used by many Sony
devs? There has got to be a less performance intensive anti-aliasing model that
will look just as nice on a smaller screen.

Also...I'm hoping
you can tone down the shinier mapping effects and maybe try to be more subtle
and realistic.

Hi John: Sorry for
the delayed response and thanks for the comments.

There will be
shadows in the release version of the Vision Game Engine for NGP (set for the
end of April).

Interestingly,
4xMSAA proved to be pretty cheap in the scenes we tested it
on.

As far as the
“shiny effects” are concerned: That’s completely up to the artists. The people
designing our demo scenes liked that look, I guess, but developers can create
games with a completely different visual style if they'd
like.

Last edited:

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5503162]Tech demo, bah. Just like always, show me something I can play![/QUOTE]

That's what i say instead of creating a game for looks, you could've been making one that we could've played, fools.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Silver_Knight, post: 5503490]That's what i say instead of creating a game for looks, you could've been making one that we could've played, fools.[/QUOTE]

A tech demo isn't a game. A tech demo is normally used to advertise features of an engine or individual tech that a company plans to license to other devs.
Complaining about tech demo's not being games is far off the mark.

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 5503503]A tech demo isn't a game. A tech demo is normally used to advertise features of an engine or individual tech that a company plans to license to other devs.
Complaining about tech demo's not being games is far off the mark.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i know that's what i said instead of creating something for no purpose create a game that shows the features and that is playable.
Edit i see i messed up on my wordplay my bad.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
Well its most likely because the same people who make the engine are most likely different then the people who actually make games. The point of a tech demo is not to pigeon hole creativity it is simply to show features. What happens if they create a "bad game"? Why would they risk that association and try something they may not be good at. A game that hits it big normally becomes a showcase afterwards.

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 5503562]Well its most likely because the same people who make the engine are most likely different then the people who actually make games. The point of a tech demo is not to pigeon hole creativity it is simply to show features. What happens if they create a "bad game"? Why would they risk that association and try something they may not be good at. A game that hits it big normally becomes a showcase afterwards.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this but that's why you don't make a bad game you put everything you have in it and try to innovate the masses.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="Silver_Knight, post: 5503567]I agree with this but that's why you don't make a bad game you put everything you have in it and try to innovate the masses.[/QUOTE]
And who would fund them?

Not all companies that make engines have the talent necessary to make a game. This company is no epic. There are alot more roles involved in making a game than there are for making the software that the game is based off of. Have you ever seen Autodesk make a feature film or a game? No. But without them, the games you enjoy and films like Kung fu panda and Toy STory 3 could not be made. The point is to do what you are good at, make a product without incurring unnecessary costs. If they could make good games they would be a game developer.

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
[QUOTE="Staticneuron, post: 5503619]And who would fund them?

Not all companies that make engines have the talent necessary to make a game. This company is no epic. There are alot more roles involved in making a game than there are for making the software that the game is based off of. Have you ever seen Autodesk make a feature film or a game? No. But without them, the games you enjoy and films like Kung fu panda and Toy STory 3 could not be made. The point is to do what you are good at, make a product without incurring unnecessary costs. If they could make good games they would be a game developer.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you mean i was speaking hypothetically

Mar 24, 2007
Your House.
[QUOTE="Bio, post: 5503746]Wow, based on those direct feed images, I could almost call NGP a portable PS3.[/QUOTE]
It basically is, the cpu and gpu may not be as good but the screen is smaller therfor needs less to fill thus giving the illusion of near ps3 graphics.

ONQ

Master Guru
Jun 30, 2006
[QUOTE="deded, post: 5504081]I doubt it will be long before we see Cryengine on the NGP as well.[/QUOTE]

it's listed as one of the Game Engines I can't wait to see it running on NGP also.

Game Engines:
Blitz Games ( BlitzTech )
Crytek ( CryEngine )
Epic Games ( Unreal Engine )
Terminal Reality ( Infernal Engine )
Trinigy ( Vision Engine )
Vicious Cycle
Middleware for sound, AI, physics, GUI, etc.:
Havok
NaturalMotion ( Morpheme )
Audiokinetic
CRI Middleware
Firelight Technologies ( FMOD )
RAD Game Tools
AiLive
Scaleform
http://3dg.me/story/ngp-psp2-supported-by-game-engines-and-middleware-developers