Vita's PSOne support is a Classic blunder

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
This isn't shocking news, as it's from Sony and all. It was kinda expected.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/vitas-psone-support-is-a-classic-blunder/

The PlayStation Vita officially supports PSOne Classics games now. But not all of them, at least not officially. As of today, you'll be able to get .... thirteen of them from the PlayStation Store directly through the Vita. You can get many that aren't on the store, if you have previously bought them on PS3 or PSP, by checking your account's download history and downloading from there.

But that doesn't work for every game – many PSOne games are not available for download onto Vita through your history. Many of those can be copied to Vita from PS3 ... if you happen to have them sitting on your PS3 without installing them. And that doesn't cover all games either.

This is absurdly complicated, and doesn't make a damn bit of sense. And it's completely familiar to any Vita owner who has tried to copy their digital PSP collection over.

XSpike

Superior Member
Dec 2, 2005
Poor US Vita owners...

I hope SE/Sony releases Vagrant Story in the NZ Store, but I highly doubt it since its been missing for such a long time.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
It's strange that SCEE isn't the one sucking ass for once. Don't know what SCEA are doing. I know new titles will be rolled out every week, but 13 titles is a bit..ummm...

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
I don't see why they don't make it like, almost fully backwards compatible with previous purchases like you can in the EU... That list is massive. What a fuck up

Via Tapatalk :)

Jul 21, 2010
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5898387]I believe they are being checked and rolled out in the coming weeks.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I'm sure they don't want some hack to be going through the games

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
It's kinda like saying "ps3 will give you 1080p gaming" and only releasing a few games over the decade that fits that description lol.

"1.80 will give you PSOne support" (ahem, just no games being released)

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
It's related in a small sense, but still related. Surely they will be up and running with these games being put on the store, etc. Hopefully, they'll be updated fairly quick too. We'll see.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Optimistically, I'll go with that. Realistically, *trying to remember when they said PSOne support would be included during the launch?..... It was on a Q&A on their support site. It was said that the Vita will be able to play PSP, Minis, and PS One games. It won't be able to play PS3 or PS2 games. That was back in November of last year. How long did it take them to enable the PSOne support in an emulator that was already running under the guise of a PSP?

That's the main issue...

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5898200]This isn't shocking news, as it's from Sony and all. It was kinda expected.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/vitas-psone-support-is-a-classic-blunder/[/QUOTE]
Yeah a real shame. Reminds of the 360 dropping Xbox compatibiltiy apart from MS games too. Plus it didn't even have a list (that I was aware of at the time) so held off buying old XBox games I missed out on.

They should either support things like this entirely or not at all instead of being staggered.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5898464]The 360 had a decent list, but definitely a screw up on their part for sure. It was a great feature to have.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, BC is a good feature for anyone who likes 'all-in-one'.

In this case, isn't it saying that you CAN get more, just not 'officially'?

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5898480]Um, can't go into that lol. Back on topic for the vita :snicker[/QUOTE]
Huh?

lol my last question was regarding the vita:

any of those can be copied to Vita from PS3 ... if you happen to have them sitting on your PS3 without installing them. And that doesn't cover all games either.
? Doesn't that mean that they can be obtained just not through the "official" channels? *shrug*

AaronSOLDIER

Ultimate Veteran
Apr 5, 2007
forums.final7fantasy.com
This is what European PS customers have to put up with with almost everything, nice to see them outdo SCEA for a change. Unless they rushed QA and most of the games end up freezing the Vita and whatnot, wouldn't be surprised.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="admartian, post: 5898485]Huh?

lol my last question was regarding the vita:

? Doesn't that mean that they can be obtained just not through the "official" channels? *shrug*[/QUOTE]

Well, that is official channels. What is "supported" right now, is from the PSN being used on the Vita. Unless I'm wrong.

GazzaGSi

Elite Guru
May 9, 2007
Scea announced 9 games that worked as of the live 1.8 update.

If people want to try their own from download history or buying something off the 9 game list to see if works is there problem.

They announced 9 games to work which there is, don't see where the blunder is... Or am I missing something?

TGO

Ancient
Feb 26, 2006
purgatory
[QUOTE="Dave-The-Rave, post: 5898636]I just don't get the problem, PS1 emulation isn't exactly hard and all these game ran easily on the PSP !![/QUOTE]

Well technically the American Vitas can run all the EU ones, so it isnt just nine games supported
Its just 9 American versions supported
Probably why they locked the cards
Sent via Codec

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="SupraGaz, post: 5898626]Scea announced 9 games that worked as of the live 1.8 update.

If people want to try their own from download history or buying something off the 9 game list to see if works is there problem.

They announced 9 games to work which there is, don't see where the blunder is... Or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
Them only announcing 9 games... that's pretty messed up. Considering what does work that others have already had, isn't listed. That's to say the least.
[QUOTE="Dave-The-Rave, post: 5898636]I just don't get the problem, PS1 emulation isn't exactly hard and all these game ran easily on the PSP !![/QUOTE]
It's Sony... hard to figure out what the hell is wrong with them sometimes.