W/o Japan in the M$ multiplat deal with SE, can 360 FF13 outsell PS3 FF13?

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
As much as people ignore the specifics of this Coup, I think theres one bylaw in this deal between 360 and Square Enix that hurts M$. No selling the game in Japan on 360.

W/o possibly it's biggest buyer of the franchise, can the 360 version outsell it's install base ratio with PS3 or even outsell the ps3 version at all?

Aug 3, 2007
No they cannot. The ps3 sales will outsell the 360 just from the japan release. There are fans on the 360, but there are more ff fans that own a ps3. Some newcomers will come, but with europe, US, and japan all getting the ps3 version, there is no way that the 360 will outsell.

Jap Attack

Dedicated Member
Jul 10, 2005
Yes. The 360 has a larger install base in the U.S. and Sony only has a narrow lead in Europe. Everyone thought that the PS3 version of GTA IV was going to outsell the 360 version by miles since GTA is heavily related to the Playstation brand, but obviously that doesn't matter anymore. The 360 version outsold the PS3 version by a million or more i'm guessing, and the PS3 version in Europe just barely outsold the 360 version. I can see the same thing happening with Final Fantasy XIII, but it will not help the 360 install base grow, but the PS3 install base will. With Japan, yes the PS3 version will sell more. MGS4 gave the PS3 a boost and seeing that Final Fantasy being an even bigger brand then MGS back here in Japan I see it selling a ton more software along with moving lots of hardware. Maybe Final Fantasy XIII will help the PS3 push past the 5 million mark in Japan. There should be just about 2.5 million PS3's sold in japan correct?

Feli

Veteran
Mar 5, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I'm gonna go ahead and say I don't believe so.

in Western Territories, FFXIII 360 might outsell the PS3 version or equal it, but Japan will eat it up and make up for a lot of sales alone

TGO's stats, posted in this thread, push me towards these predictions. I know its based off two games, but they're my predictions anyway.

and even though you bring up a very interesting question, I don't know if this thread will stay open. unfortunate, really.

Organic_Shadow

Pots n' Pans Robot
May 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I think a lot of Japanese gamers are waiting for there to be more than 1 title to push them toward a PS3 purchase.

So many people say "this is the game to buy a PS3 for", and my thoughts are "$400 PS3 for a $60 game? Why not for 3 games that you HAVE to get? Would make it more worth the initial purchase."

I believe a lot of Japanese gamers may have this angle on it too as far as cost is concerned. They know Nintendo will keep a game flow coming in- albeit with the same old franchises, but they need to know PS3 will be the same. MGS4 + FF13 + (several Japanese-developed exclusives) = PS3 sales.

Serinous

Elite Sage
Feb 18, 2008
Not sure really. What if the PS3 install base grow to equal or even exceed before Final Fantasy XIII comes out. That's possible right? So in that case, the PS3 version will outsold the 360 version. Plus, for the last decade or so, when you see a Final Fantasy, you see a PlayStation. You might argue with the GTA4 scenario. But I think this is different.

May 4, 2008
[QUOTE="loko08, post: 3094280]hell yes, most 360 owners will just buy the game because it used to be a ps3 exclusive[/quote]
I dont think anyone would buy a videogame out of spite.

seebs

Elite Sage
Dec 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 0]360 fans dont even like FF, last I checked. Almost any PS fan is a FF fan. >_>[/quote]

These are both ludicrous claims.

Let's just look at the numbers, shall we?

PS2 sales: ~120M, maybe a bit higher.
FF12 sales: 5M.

So, let's say that "almost any" PS fan is a fan of FF as well. So, say we have 90M PS fans (and 25% aren't really fans, they just bought one 'cuz it was cheap or something). And of those 90M, 5M buy FF12. So that's... One in eighteen?

Now, let's look at the other side of the story. Why do you think 360 fans wouldn't like FF? It's not as though they're all devoted haters of anything Sony's ever done; a few million of them have PS3s, by now.

msdstc

Super Elite
Jun 10, 2006
Of course it'll outsell the ps3 version. I hate people calling these game "sony franchises", because they simply aren't. Minus japan DMC4 sold better on 360 and people called that a "sony franchise"

B

Bakudannar

Well with secondary markets like the GameStop used games, it's really hard to figure out how much of the market you're penetrating.

Sure FFXII sold 5M, but that doesn't mean 5M played the game. Japan has a massive 2nd hand market. Go to Akihabara and there are used game stores next to each other lining a whole block.

That being said, documented sales for the 360 might not be that high, because typically, at least in my area, they account for the most trade ins. Everytime I go into a GameStop, there's always some kid trading a backpack of 360 games. For RPGs, you can expect an average gamer to make one quick playthrough and then trade the game in. So a savvy gamer would just wait to buy it used, or rent.

I think PS3 gamers have a higher attach rate for their games. I only see essentially sports games, and a couple copies or LAIR, Genji, HS, Folklore, and some others being traded in.

For people who own a 360, they obviously wont go and buy a PS3 for one RPG. If you're a PS3 owner, you're likely to buy this game, considering all the hype surrounding it. If you own both, the choice is clear, and you'll pick the PS3 version up, simply because it's the lead platform for the title.

Oct 25, 2007
in Japan ps3 will destroy the charts
in Europa will be 70% ps3 - 30% xbox
in America 50 % 50 %

NOTE: if 360 version is not realease it the same day that the ps3 one...MS will lose in all fronts.

klee123

Superior Member
Sep 25, 2006
No chance, considering that the Japanese sales of an FF game accounts to around 40% to the overall sales of an FF game. Adding say another 20-30% of the western sales of the PS3, you've got a potential 60-70% of the total FF sales just for the PS3.

Despte FF being a big franchise, it never sold as as much as the big western franchises in the west. The only exceptions were during the early PSone era and even then the Japanese sales still account for at least around 40% of the overall sales.

valleyshrew

Superior Member
May 22, 2008
When you discount Japan where GTAIV isn't released, GTAIV sold to 8% more of the ps3's install base than to the 360's install base. The ps3 has been outselling the 360 all year and if it continues in the exact same ratio for the next 12 months, the 360's lead which is now 5.5m, will be reduced to 2m and maybe less depending on christmas sales (little big planet may be a big hardware shifter). If then final fantasy sells to 8% more of the ps3's install base it will significant outsell the 360 version. That is based on non-japan sales, when you add japan it will easily outsell. It can easily do 70:30.

I'd like to see a final fantasy fan site poll it's userbase on which console they own, despite the 360's 5.5m lead I would expect most either own a ps3 or will move to ps3.

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
[QUOTE="msdstc, post: 0]Of course it'll outsell the ps3 version. I hate people calling these game "sony franchises", because they simply aren't. Minus japan DMC4 sold better on 360 and people called that a "sony franchise"[/quote]
Well its not to call it a sony franchise. But the demographic that buys 360 and PS3 are usually separated on this issue mainly because there is some expectation of games like FF13 in Sony's fan base. Thus the crazy outcry over the title going Multiplat. I'm curious myself that if Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey both came nowhere near Halo and Gears of War in sales(both technically Square enix games in that they were built by former Square developers), How is there such high expectations for FF13 to crack through the heavily shooter addicted install base that 360 has built? I think there's a legit issue there to be discussed. And is the idea of defection to 360 legit? For an already announced as PS3 port to 360? I just personally think the move was good talk by M$, but that Square Enix has some hills to climb in making the game accessible to 360's main crowd.

[QUOTE="Bakudannar, post: 0] If you own both, the choice is clear, and you'll pick the PS3 version up, simply because it's the lead platform for the title.[/quote]
Another interesting point. This is the first announced time that a big title is made on PS3 first before even starting on the 360 version, and in the interview the developer seemed unsure about what compromises he would have to make in the process.

Toorok

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2005
It will probably boost more sales than the ps3 in America. the 360 is cheaper plus the install base is way higher than the ps3 so it will definitely sell more.

Lazerblade22

Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2006
It really depends to be honest. Final fantasy has been on the playstation for over 10 years, and I think it all comes down to marketing. If sony doesn't market the game as their product, then there will be more sales for the 360 version. In japan 99 percent of the time the playstation 3 version of the game outsells the 360 version, and with differing tastes in gaming across the cultures, FFXIII could actually do better on the ps3 because japanese games don't tend to do THAT well in europe and america. One also has to take into consideration the fact that the PS3 userbase keeps growing in afaster and faster amount of time, and with the momentum they'll have from big O8 and 09 releases, you should expect it to skyrocket. You also have to take into consideration that an EXCLUSIVE JRPG is coming in march 09, as well as some other multiplatform releases which really should solidify the position of the playstation 3 as THE system for final fantasy.

Along the year more footage of FF versus will be shown too, and KH3 will be announced. Things like that will propel the square crowd to choose the playstation 3.

Xelis

Elite Sage
Jan 1, 2008
[QUOTE="Jap Attack, post: 0]Yes. The 360 has a larger install base in the U.S. and Sony only has a narrow lead in Europe. Everyone thought that the PS3 version of GTA IV was going to outsell the 360 version by miles since GTA is heavily related to the Playstation brand, but obviously that doesn't matter anymore. The 360 version outsold the PS3 version by a million or more i'm guessing, and the PS3 version in Europe just barely outsold the 360 version. I can see the same thing happening with Final Fantasy XIII, but it will not help the 360 install base grow, but the PS3 install base will. With Japan, yes the PS3 version will sell more. MGS4 gave the PS3 a boost and seeing that Final Fantasy being an even bigger brand then MGS back here in Japan I see it selling a ton more software along with moving lots of hardware. Maybe Final Fantasy XIII will help the PS3 push past the 5 million mark in Japan. There should be just about 2.5 million PS3's sold in japan correct?[/quote]
GTA is a western game so a 360 win there was kind of enevitable with the install base in America being larger, but FFXIII is an eastern game and with Japan and the European install base being larger and the fact the general American wouldn't be interested in JRPGs, means the PS3 should outsell the 360 version by a fair margin, even without the Japanese sales.

This is also backed up by the sales of Lost Oddessy and Blue Dragon.

I'll vote for the option thats not there. 'No, PS3 version will outsell in all 3 regions.'

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
I would say that no, the Xbox 360 version has NO CHANCE of outselling the PS3 version. Over a half of the overall sales are from Japan. The first week sales of FFXII in Japan was almost 1,8 million and the overall sales were 2,4 million. It has only sold something like 1,3 million in the US and maybe one million in Europe. So the sales are roughly about half from the overall sales.

If the XO version isn't released in Japan, you can see why there's just no chance of it ever exceeding the worldwide overall sales of the PS3 version.

rycexboi

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2005
cgi.ebay.com
I think the 360 will not outsell the ps3. FF13 was meant to be for ps3 in the beginning, people who were planning to get the ff13 would of probably plan to get it for the ps3. As for the 360, i guess they would sell a couple to newcomers to the series.

Nov 19, 2007
My bet it will easily outsell 360 1) because of Japan. 2) By the time it releases likely 2010, the PS3 install base will be closer if not passed the 360. 3) Amount of importers getting from Japan on PS3 before a western release.

Sivakis

Apprentice
Oct 2, 2007
Excluding Japan from the mix, I'm actually predicting the 360 to have an edge over the PS3 for FFXIII numbers. Why? Pretty simple really.

The 360 is still a relatively fresh market for the FF franchise. Yes yes, they had FFXI back in 2006, but that's about it. The Playstation family have enjoyed a pretty long stretch of Final Fantasy. In the beginning, lots of PS owners would buy it cos it was fresh, then the numbers declined slowly as more PS owners didn't find it their cup of tea, so skipped subsequent instalments.

Same for the 360. There will be more who will buy FFXIII just out of curiousity as compared to the PS owners, what with a larger install-base in N.A. and a slightly lesser one in Europe. But as more and more of the FF series go multiplat (if they do), you'll see 360 owners' response also following what PS owners have gone through. Finding out that maybe the FF games aren't really their cup of tea and skipping future instalments.

Just my 2 cents.

consoleboi

Dedicated Member
Jul 18, 2006
I doubt the xbox360 FFXIII will sell well in NA. Just took a look at the demographics of the xbox360. It's mostly FPS fans..that's all they care about. The percentage of xbox360 owners who are into RPG is relatively small compared to PS fans.

Cloudie

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2005
[QUOTE="msdstc, post: 0]Of course it'll outsell the ps3 version. I hate people calling these game "sony franchises", because they simply aren't. Minus japan DMC4 sold better on 360 and people called that a "sony franchise"[/quote]

That's because some of us decided they would stick it to Capcom by not buying the game for the PS3..like they're saing they plan on doing with FF13 now.

I think it's going to be close outside of Japan. If Sony makes some bundles, some price cuts and has a alot more loyal fans who aren't crying over spilled milk and threatening to boycot the game or sell their PS3s and get the 360 version..then..ONLY THEN, will it outsell the 360 version.

SonyJunkie

Gaming Guru
May 14, 2006
it will sell more on the 360. theres 11 million units sold in America, and lots of people love FF. Even on the Xbox, and theres probably lots of people who played the PS2, that now own a 360. So it will sell more on the 360. It will still sell well on the PS3, but will sell better on the 360. No questions asked.

jab8917

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2007
well it depends.. think of it... xbox is the easiest system for pirated games... so easy that i just have to download it from torrent... will there be more players playing FFXIII... yes... which system SE will get more profit from? i think its sony