WARNING! MAJOR TLOU2 Spoilers has surfaced over in Internet

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
What looks to be a playable build of The Last of Us 2 has been published in Youtube and taken down since then. However, damage has already been made and mirrors have been uploaded already.

This isn't your typical pre-release spoiler... this is a developer build , which suggest this has been leaked from INSIDE the Company. Cinematics and the full ending of the game has been published.

Currently the game doesn't have a release date and it's a title that relies heavily on it's narrative. In fact, one the of major reasons of the delay (according to Sony) was to avoid users spoiling the game as physical copies wouldn't be as broadly available as expected due to coronavirus. (which now sounds as an excuse)

Something's really, really wrong inside Sony's Flagship Studio. Lots of people has abandoned ship since Uncharted 4 and many of them joined Microsoft's The Initiative (strategically based in Santa Monica as well), there's been leaks before and now an inside massive leak surfaces. This adds up to the silence around everything regarding Sony and its future titles makes up for a very dark scenario.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...oiler_videos_as_major_plot_points_leak_online

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
What looks to be a playable build of The Last of Us 2 has been published in Youtube and taken down since then. However, damage has already been made and mirrors have been uploaded already.
Kinda shooting yourself in the foot to go looking for spoilers truth be told.

Hopefully the internet, influencers, and content creators keep some sense of integrity... /s

Good thing lock down is ending here, can actually go on a media blackout.

This isn't your typical pre-release spoiler... this is a developer build , which suggest this has been leaked from INSIDE the Company. Cinematics and the full ending of the game has been published.
More likely a RC they ship around for play/feedback testing that got *cough*lost*cough* in the mail.

Something's really, really wrong inside Sony's Flagship Studio. Lots of people has abandoned ship since Uncharted 4 and many of them joined Microsoft's The Initiative (strategically based in Santa Monica as well), there's been leaks before and now an inside massive leak surfaces. This adds up to the silence around everything regarding Sony and its future titles makes up for a very dark scenario.
To make a note of this, usually these are 'artists'. These guys can be scaled as needed. A 3D models a 3D model. If you look at job listings these are usually for 3-6 months, compared to programmers (for example) who can lock down year long contracts; or even remain 'permanently'.

A lot of this recently has been the typical media coverage for clickbait. I think Jason Schreier actually did a proper journalistic piece (and aside from the one obvs. disgruntled employee), pretty much reads like any other dev story under crunch - See R*, CDPR etc.

On that note with rockstar, and to make note to the specific quote "Sony and its future titles makes up for a very dark scenario", it turned out very well for R*. GTA 5 has literally eclipsed all other entertainment mediums in terms of revenue. Obvs. Sony probably aren't looking for immense financial return from this, but more so to increase their brand image by an equivalent standing.
Additionally, this time Naughty Dog specifically set out to not crunch as they had done with U4, obviously they have not met that, but hardly a place where the whip is out (so to speak).

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008

Currently the game doesn't have a release date and it's a title that relies heavily on it's narrative. In fact, one the of major reasons of the delay (according to Sony) was to avoid users spoiling the game as physical copies wouldn't be as broadly available as expected due to coronavirus. (which now sounds as an excuse)

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...oiler_videos_as_major_plot_points_leak_online
Well people will still be curious playing it despite some may or may not be put of the game. Well gameplay and environment looks very different from the 1st game from what I seen in the trailers but personally to be honest I prefer if they just did a new IP and left the original as a classic.

Well Rockstar has similar problems but it doesn't stop people buying their games. What makes them much different than the likes of other AAA US Companies nothing is ever black or white we only see things from the outside. Naughty Dog continues to make good games they'll keep selling.

Lot of people who work in the gaming industry are overworked.

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
Whoever leaked it is an absolute asshat. Even if you're disgruntled that's a deeply shit thing to do. Lots of people have worked lates and weekends and poured their hearts and souls into it. To undermine all of that just because you're a bit miffed is pathetic.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Kinda shooting yourself in the foot to go looking for spoilers truth be told.
No, I didn't watch them (hate spoilers), but watched videos of people who did and spoiled themselves.

More likely a RC they ship around for play/feedback testing that got *cough*lost*cough* in the mail.
Consensus is that it's a dev build given that the images shown feature developer oriented stats on screen.

To make a note of this, usually these are 'artists'. These guys can be scaled as needed. A 3D models a 3D model. If you look at job listings these are usually for 3-6 months, compared to programmers (for example) who can lock down year long contracts; or even remain 'permanently'.
Well, a Top notch team is a mix of those. Artists, producers and devs.

There are some big names in the Initiative: Christian Cantamessa (Red Dead Redemption writer), Brian Westergaard (God of War lead producer), Dan Neuburger (previously at Crystal Dynamics for 12 years), Blake Fischer (in publishing at Microsoft for 16 years) Lindsey McQueeney (in recruiting at Google, Crystal Dynamics and 38 Studios). Also, not all these people has joined Microsoft's studios obviously. There's definitely an exodus and there must be a reason for it.

On that note with rockstar, and to make note to the specific quote "Sony and its future titles makes up for a very dark scenario", it turned out very well for R*. GTA 5 has literally eclipsed all other entertainment mediums in terms of revenue. Obvs. Sony probably aren't looking for immense financial return from this, but more so to increase their brand image by an equivalent standing.
Additionally, this time Naughty Dog specifically set out to not crunch as they had done with U4, obviously they have not met that, but hardly a place where the whip is out (so to speak).
Yeah that was probably too dramatic from me. Sony will definitely keep delivering great games, but they do need to learn from this experience and prepare for what's coming from the other side of the street. The green house has never invested so much resources (both human and financial) and effort in a generation of consoles. I've been off forums and news for like 10 years... hype brought me back lol.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
No, I didn't watch them (hate spoilers), but watched videos of people who did and spoiled themselves.
Was a figurative use of 'yourself'. More of a 'you people', as in, the idiots who spoil it for themselves (and then probs bitch and moan about it).

Oddly, internet doesn't seem to have blown up yet. Though i hear Sony is on the DMCA rampage. No sympathy from me personally if people get hit with them.

May 20, 2008
It's apparent that sh*t isn't going well at Naughty Dog. They lost some of most talented artist and someone on the inside has leaked TLOU2. First they say the game was delayed indefinitely and now it's been leaked and releasing in June. Clearly some disgruntled devs in there.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Sony's identified the person or persons responsible for the leak and it doesn't seem to be an employee of ND.

Source
https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/1/21244288/the-last-of-us-2-leak-source-sony-ending-ellie-joel
Allow me to doubt so until a name is provided.

Also, Sony itself hasn't talked about it, it was Gamesindustry.biz saying they were contacted by them, and then ND quoting Gamesindustry... what the...

Who else has access to this kind of developer builds? Needs to be someone from inside, contractor or not... Beware the careful wording there from Sony.

If it's true that it was someone not affiliated (now or in the past) with Sony or ND, then we need an official statement from Sony themselves not a "Sony told me" statement. I believe this case is serious enough to deserve official clarification.

Until then, it's clearly someone trying to protect Sony's and ND's reputation.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Allow me to doubt so until a name is provided.
Doubt we'll get their name until they're in the court room. Or at least, as good as dead in the courtroom.
Who else has access to this kind of developer builds? Needs to be someone from inside, contractor or not... Beware the careful wording there from Sony.
For any large competent programming company, you usually only have a single master that you update very infrequently, or even, only with a 1.0 build.

Dev builds tend to be more up to date, buggy, and have debugging enabled - that path would be disabled for master.

As i said above, it's likely something that was a RC on the main devbuild. These get shipped about - and in some cases are secretly watermarked; like how Hollywood secretly water mark the pictures in a film when sent to cinema.

These things usually get sent anywhere. Need demo for board? You send one of these builds. etc. One of these disks must have passed by somebody who secretly swiped it, hoping no one would notice one lost disc. You'd hope there were no trophies otherwise, kinda red flag if dudebro was earning trophies for a game months out from release. Might as well have included his name in the leak lol.

If it's true that it was someone not affiliated (now or in the past) with Sony or ND, then we need an official statement from Sony themselves not a "Sony told me" statement. I believe this case is serious enough to deserve official clarification.
Risking the Streisand effect here. I think they'd kinda prefer to pretend nothing happened at all, and go hailmary with the lawyers.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Last edited:

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
So probs hear their names when their being dragged to the courts to, basically, surrender their life. IP theft is a big no-no in corporate world. These dude/dudes gunna need some lube.
Assuming they catch them. They might know it's been hacked but that doesn't mean they know who did it.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
I was hoping they wouldn't come up with the hacker story... saw that coming. No identities... some anonymous villain blamed. Can't say I buy it.

BTW... why is it the press always standing up for Sony?... They need to go ahead and make an official statement, it's honestly quite annoying they protect them so much.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Assuming they catch them. They might know it's been hacked but that doesn't mean they know who did it.
The guy who shared how it happened was busted himself for 'something' at some point in time. Shared a tweet from ND dev which basically reads "they know how to find you" [reference to cyber crimes divisions]. Though they did say "eventually", so probs wont find out for a while.

Also, TLoU2 just went gold, woop. We'll all get to enjoy soon-ish!
I was hoping they wouldn't come up with the hacker story... saw that coming. No identities... some anonymous villain blamed. Can't say I buy it.

BTW... why is it the press always standing up for Sony?... They need to go ahead and make an official statement, it's honestly quite annoying they protect them so much.
Finishing up my CS degree. Fun fact, they can get your passwords through the vibrations from your GPU fans. The attack vector used in this case tho is a pretty common one (exploiting server).

As for why no press, as i said above they're likely trying to avoid the Streisand effect. This wasn't passwords, or accounts. It's just their own IP, technically, they can do what they want; even pretend it never happened.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Pretending it never happened, while people know it did (and it wasn't a hacker) is probably what's getting this guy the dislike bar:

Don't get me wrong... I love TLOU... I will play TLOU2 day one and it will probably GOTY... (Think it's gonna be between this and Cyberpunk)... I just hate companies taking customers for fools.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Pretending it never happened, while people know it did (and it wasn't a hacker) is probably what's getting this guy the dislike bar
For reals?

lol, gamers are idiots.

EDIT:
Looked into that, it seems people just don't like the guy... for whatever reason.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com
The main reason some people have grown a dislike for Neil Druckman has to do with the 'SJW' factor and being accused of being 'woke' — people who have seen the leaks are saying he's trying to push an agenda. There is an entire thread on neogaf around this. Apparently, according to what I have read, he follows Anita Sarkesian, or she has a big influence on him.

You can watch this video for more info on it:

Last edited:

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Yeah... that's aimed at the guy, not the game.
The main reason some people have grown a dislike for Neil Druckman has to do with the 'SJW' factor and being accused of being 'woke' — people who have seen the leaks are saying he's trying to push an agenda. There is an entire thread on neogaf around this. Apparently, according to what I have read, he follows Anita Sarkesian, or she has a big influence on him.

Indeed, he's given public high praise to Anita, who is a feminist who doesn't know sh*t about gaming, but has an agenda about influencing it with her ideals. Looks like people (apart from other things) hate what her influence has done to the game's plot and characters. I don't know anything about the plot itself but we should figure out soon.

Edit: I hope Sony explains what's going to happen to the game in PS5. I really really want to play the best version of it even if I have to wait for it, the same way i'm skipping FFVII to play it on Series X when released (played DQXI on PS4 Pro - awesome game - and hated it when I figured out it was on PC @60fps)

Same with Xbox, only that I can wait for, say... Cyberpunk holidays deals, buy it for One X, and then wait until it's released on Series X. Some games just deserve the best possible experience IMO.

sainraja

Forum Sage
Jun 16, 2006
www.hussainraja.com

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
I don't think it matters what direction the game goes. This game is gonna be 🔥. ND is one of the best teams out there.
I'm not sentimentally attached to the characters as many people appear to be, so I guess I will enjoying the game whatever the plot goes to. If it lives up technically and gameplay-wise, that's more than enough for me.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah with the rumors of the plot which they seem likely to be true. Yeah and I for one like many don't like SJW culture in the video games and the industry it takes away creative freedom. Yeah I feel like the reason they censor thing is just because of money and trying to appeal to a greater democratic which comes with it's consequences. I feel like the game will be good but nevertheless I stated my opinion above of Last Of Us 2. I might change my mind when I play it.

Regardless I am way more excited for Ghost of Tsushima! Since Ubisoft refused to do a Assasin's game set in Japan. So im fascinated on Sucker Punch's take on it.