Was Motorstorm:PR the quickest made game of this generation?

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
I swear it must of been back in febuarary when it was first announced, and even at that time they had no screenies whatsoever to show us, only pre rendered target models, I swear they have gone from almost nothing to a full game in 8 months...at least this shows they are on top of their techology however i cant help but feel it might of been a bit rushed

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="ps3isthebestobe, post: 0]I swear it must of been back in febuarary when it was first announced, and even at that time they had no screenies whatsoever to show us, only pre rendered target models, I swear they have gone from almost nothing to a full game in 8 months...at least this shows they are on top of their techology however i cant help but feel it might of been a bit rushed[/quote]

bah.. take diablo 3 for the pc for example. Out of nowhere, it's announced, and look how much content is available about the game. That game has been in development for over three years.. never heard a single word about it.

Some things are kept under wraps fairly well.

Dec 9, 2006
its probably pretty easy when the game doesn't require much innovation. I was psyched for MS2:pR, but then I got my hands on the demo. Nothing but a few new tracks and some new vehicle skins. Then they went and changed a bunch of things that didn't need changing just to make it feel different. Bah, nothing but a glorified "track pack"

rockousaf

Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2007
nah I remember seeing a video interview where they said as soon as the first game shipped they all took a month vacation (in Hawaii which actually inspired the new setting) then began pacific rift so with that in mind they would have started in may/june of 07

May 22, 2008
Doesn't the game use the Unreal Engine? I could only image how long games take to make while using it especially if the dev's are already used to using it.

valleyshrew

Superior Member
May 22, 2008
No, I think PES09 took 6 months to make. Sports games are all done pretty quickly. 8 months isn't that quick for a racing game sequel, they've just got to update the graphics, make new tracks, etcetera, they've got most of the hard work done already.

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
Motorstorm 2 is only Evo's second game, Insomniac are up to their 4th and they both had launch titles (speaking in PAL land)

SpyroViper

The Derailer
May 9, 2008
[QUOTE="DreamsofAnarchy, post: 0]Doesn't the game use the Unreal Engine? I could only image how long games take to make while using it especially if the dev's are already used to using it.[/quote]

It uses Evolutions own proprietary engine. All games that use UE3 have the Unreal Engine logo when you start it up.

The demo was awful IMO. The framerate was kinda chuggy, the AI was pathetic and don't get me started on the handling.. when I was steering, it felt like the camera was moving more than my supposed uber buggy of doom. Why did they change it!

A

ATurnbull

It has been in development for a while, thats for sure... but I also heard that Motorstorm 3 was being made, right now. Or at least the planning is defo underway.

They showed some of us at Uni motorstorm 2, about a year ago and told us some interesting info.

Alpha

Dedicated Member
Jul 17, 2006
Motorstorm came out December 2006 in Japan, and March 2007 in North America, and they have worked on expansions, and patches for the online. So by my guess they have been working on Motorstorm 2 for roughly 18 months. They developed their own engine for MS1 which they upgraded for MS2. Planning for MS2 was probably begun before MS1 ended.

From MS1 till now:
- upgraded engine
- all new tracks
- new vehicles

Seems reasonable to me, and we talking of one of the best developers around.

Motorstorm 2 is only Evo's second game, Insomniac are up to their 4th and they both had launch titles (speaking in PAL land)
Insomniac also has way more employees. They are much bigger company. I fail to see what Insomniac's output has to do with Evolution Studios?

its probably pretty easy when the game doesn't require much innovation.
The first Motorstorm sold millions, and we are talking about a racing game here. A sequel to the most popular racing game on the PS3. What innovation do you want in a racing game? Your comment sounds like a complaint, but I think "innovation" has way to high expectations, as if innovation equals automatic fun, when it does not. You can innovate yourself out of great sales.