Watch and rate the Full PS5 reveal event

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005

Edit: After a second watch in higher quality, I will rate this 7.5/10

I believe they fell short on big first party games. Horizon 2 was a given and looks great (though runs @30fps?). Spider-Man 2 looked good.
Others that caught my attention are all multi platform...RE VIII, the astronaut game from Capcom and Project Athia from Square Enix... which strangely says "designed for Ps5", and then in small text "console exclusive for a limited time (aka also on Series X) and available on PC"

Edit: This is the "exclusivity" status of PS5 games announced on the event:

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Horizon just looks ridiculous as I thought it would. Super pumped for that. But most of the games were quite underwhelming.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
A black version of the console would be sweet. White version is probably gunna be Vegemite. But otherwise, looks ok. Rocking some massive vents, hopefully its got a fan to actually make use of it. Otherwise, those vents are just gunna act as one giant echo chamber...

The ratchet and clank one seems like the most technically impressive display from the titles they showed. Actually got the no loading times they talked about - even if they kinda did the same thing they do now with a transition to mask the load. Still impressive to load all that data (looks like a whole other level) in such a short time tho. Kinda wonder how they do that transition. They map orientation from one to the other well (if you have portal, they discuss this issue in the dev diaries you can turn on in-game).

Most titles also seemed to show off some sort of raytraced reflections - that's gunna get old real quick (imho) with devs applying the tech to literally everything with even a modicum of reflectivity. Got a coin? Yep, raytrace reflections on that shiz - even when it's old and grimy and no coin in the history of coins that has passed through the system at least once ever had the capacity to reflect anything other than disgust...

We seem to be sitting in the middle of the uncanny valley territory tho. The artistic titles looked great. The ones that went for realism seemed to suffer. Hopefully that means more imaginative titles - Got some strong 'Mark of Kri' vibes with some of these.

As for the presentation itself, i see what they are kinda going for. But they did a little bit of the "TV. TV. TV" MS got hung up on. Realistically, only gamers were gunna tune in for this. The kiddy stuff is maybe better suited for televised/youtube-ised marketing campaigns. Not too fussed tho, don't have kids yet, but for those that do, it might add value so probs not for me to say.

Lastly, Deathloop is just Dishonoured with guns.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Watched every trailer again, and these are my top 4 of the show:

1. Kena: Bridge of Spirits - Loved the art and visuals also looked great. I have watched this trailer about 8 times now just because it feels so refreshing. Reminds me of when Kameo was first announced for the 360 (and became my most anticipated title) Gaming needs more magical worlds like these and less violence IMO.

2. Horizon 2 - The first Horizon was a very, very promising title, but also a bit too ambitous for its own good. I'm sture Guerrilla will iron out the low points of the first one and finally deliver a top notch game. They've been after it for years now and I believe the will finally nail it.

3. Action/RPG game by Square Enix with gorgeus art? I'm in.

Honorable Mention

Pragmata: This teaser was gorgeous and could easily climb on the list, but no gameplay was shown. However, the art and concept feels brilliant and inspired. Really hoping Capcom delivers with this one.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
It has just come to my attention that Spider Man won't be a new game... It will be the same Spider-Man from PS4... enhanced for PS5 and with the "Miles Morales" content included.

So basically, you will have to buy the game again, to play this additional content. I thought we were going to be over this. Wow!

Last edited:

Libra-75

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2013
I rate it 8/10.

There were a few games they could've kept out of the presentation, like GTA V and the game from the creators of Octodad, imo. And I hoped to see a few games (God of War, something from Naughty Dog, Project Awakening) that wasn't showed. Other than that I really liked the presentation. I hoped they would show the console, but didn't expect it, so that was a big plus. I think the console looks quite cool actually. It matches the design of the controller which I hoped for.

Horizon 2 is definitely my most anticipated game out of the ones they showed. The first one is probably my favourite exclusive of the generation so far (TLoU2 and Ghost of Tsushima might be good contender to that title). Ratchet & Clank impressed with the portal jumping with almost instant loading of new environments, reflections and particles during the fights. Project Athia and RE VIII looked really promising. Spider-Man looked good. And there were a few other games that looked interesting, imo.

Was it just me or was the so called 3D audio a bit underwhelming? I was wearing my headset with virtual surround on and I didn't think it was anything special. It felt on par with regular surround sound in the best parts (GT7). (I watched through Gamespot's stream)

Now I just want to know more about the console. Like if the only difference between the regular and the digital is the disc drive or if the digital version might have a bigger SSD in it. What kinds of ports and how many will it have. I'm hoping for more than 2 USB's and that it has an optical audio port for example.

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I'll give it a 7/10. Nothing really jumped out at me personally, but I was happy to see GT7. Sony and Rockstar are smoking dope if they think I'm buying a FOURTH version of GTA V. You got me on PS3, PS4 and PC. Y'all can kick a ton of rocks and suck my disk! As I've stated on multiple forums, PS5 is a year 2 or 3 purchase at the moment. I'll also be waiting for the black version of the console. Especially if the black controller on the PS Blog is any indication that we'll get it down the line. Looks a lot cleaner to me.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Honestly it wasn't bad but it's wasn't amazing either. Ratchet and Clank as well as Kena :Bridge of Spirits were really impressive.

Some of those game such as Horizon and Square's Project Athia will take a bit of time to make. Demon Souls was expected but Bluepoint will do a good job.

The console and controller I prefer the black and I don't like the idea of a all digital console it needs enough space. Some Bethesda timed exclusive games too. Im sticking to what I said a while ago I won't get it at launch I'll wait for a bit. 7.5/10

TidalPhoenix

The Last of Us
Staff member
Dec 16, 2006
7/10 for me too. Too many 'timed exclusives'. I did however love the look of Horizons, Demon Souls, and Ratchet & Clank. GT7 looked too glossy, and the driving looked horrid and slidey - either be an arcade, or a sim, but don't try and straddle both.

Sep 10, 2005
It has just come to my attention that Spider Man won't be a new game... It will be the same Spider-Man from PS4... enhanced for PS5 and with the "Miles Morales" content included.

So basically, you will have to buy the game again, to play this additional content. I thought we were going to be over this. Wow!
Where did you got that from?Its a stand alone game!!

Sep 10, 2005
What i learned from this event is to keep my expectation down to earth.The power the new systems have,is not enough for 4k with next gen visuals at 60 (for some games maybe but not for the ones that strive for realism)......I hope they wiil give us the option for 1080p 60 with everything on.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Where did you got that from?Its a stand alone game!!
From Sony themselves :/

https://global.techradar.com/en-za/...d-as-a-standalone-title-not-a-remaster-or-dlc

Insomniac noticed that this Sony's Exec screwed it up and then clarified it was an "Stand Alone" game. Ambiguity has became a regular practice for Sony and this time it caused a lot of confusion.

Either way, it looks like it will be a "short game", like "Uncharted and the Lost Legacy"... There's nothing wrong with it, but I find annoying the way Sony confuses people. Also, this "short game"... or standalone expansion is the only launch title for PS5, Am I right? ... at least, they haven't confirmed any big titles for what I know.

Same happened with those "Timed" exclusives. Fans and media were confused between those games being "Timed Exclusive" because they were releasing on PC later, or being your typical "Console timed exclusive" that will come on other consoles later. Now the general consensus is the later.

So, after all the ambiguity, this is the "exclusivity" status of the games presented by Sony, which I will add to the OP.

Last edited: