Well, just pulled the plug on PSVR. Sony get your sh*t together.

Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
Start rant...

As fantastic as PSVR is, since getting my Pro I have been getting increasingly annoyed with having to swap hdmi cables every time I want to play the games I own in HDR.

So much so that if Sony don't fix this mess in the next few weeks I shall just sell the headset because I'm damned if I'm going to wear out my tv HDMI sockets for this system.

Rant over...

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Doesn't bother me atm - I'm always traveling with my PSVR. Takes 2 minutes pack.

If I were bothered though, I'd just use a hdmi switch it two. One for branching and a second one for coupling.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
[QUOTE="K2D, post: 6523851]Doesn't bother me atm - I'm always traveling with my PSVR. Takes 2 minutes pack.

If I were bothered though, I'd just use a hdmi switch it two. One for branching and a second one for coupling.[/QUOTE]

I'm open to suggestion if you know of a switcher that allows HDR pass through as I'm sick of looking.

Also, having spent £700 on Pro and VR... The last thing I'd imagine I'd need was an add on to make it work and the use of 2 HDMI sockets on my TV. So yes..... I'm bothered.
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6523857]So the VR box isn't capable of HDR ass through or something?[/QUOTE]

Nope, no HDR pass through.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Facinating... I couldn't find a single listing of 2.0a switches on ebay.

And I bought two 1.4a switches not that long ago..

Guess I won't be riding the HDR train anytime soon. Actually, I doubt any of my HiFi stuff is 2.0a compliable.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6523859]I'm open to suggestion if you know of a switcher that allows HDR pass through as I'm sick of looking.

Also, having spent £700 on Pro and VR... The last thing I'd imagine I'd need was an add on to make it work and the use of 2 HDMI sockets on my TV. So yes..... I'm bothered.

Nope, no HDR pass through.[/QUOTE]

This may work. The V2 versions atleast.

http://www.blustream.co.uk/hdmi-switcher/

https://www.ortonsaudiovisual.com/index.php/blustream-sw21abv2-2-way-hdmi-switch-4k.html

You should check if this has hdmi 2.0a ports or just 2.0. 2.0a is necessary for hdr support.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
That would be annoying, but I can't afford an HDR enabled TV, anyhow, particularly in Japan where the government puts a hefty premium on all displays capable of carrying TV signals, because reasons.

PSVR probably would have been more expensive if the government realized you can watch TV through it if you set it up right.

If I was gonna choose between having the option for VR and having HDR, I'd choose VR any day, even at 1080p and whatnot. PSVR is the coolest thing I've bought in a long time.

Last edited:

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6523869]That would be annoying, but I can't afford an HDR enabled TV, anyhow, particularly in Japan where the government puts a hefty premium on all displays capable of carrying TV signals, because reasons.

PSVR probably would have been more expensive if the government realized you can watch TV through it if you set it up right.

If I was gonna choose between having the option for VR and having HDR, I'd choose VR any day, even at 1080p and whatnot. PSVR is the coolest thing I've bought in a long time.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you haven't seen a properly demonstrated HDR setup.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6523878]The PSVR doesn't have a tuner though.[/QUOTE] But you could connect it to a cable box if you had one.

You can technically use it with any HDMI input, though I'm not sure if a built in tuner is required to get the premium, but I think computer monitors are usually cheaper... I just don't know if HDMI changes things. I was actually being a bit tongue in cheek and more bitching about how expensive TVs are in Japan.

[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6523880]Seems like you haven't seen a properly demonstrated HDR setup.[/QUOTE]

No, seems like VR is what I've been waiting for my whole life, and I really don't care much if the image on a box that sits several feet away from me happens to look better. VR is a way better experience than "that tv looks gud" Besides, we'll see HDR in VR in about 5-10 years, so I'll just wait for that.

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="bobtheduck, post: 6523881]But you could connect it to a cable box if you had one.

You can technically use it with any HDMI input, though I'm not sure if a built in tuner is required to get the premium, but I think computer monitors are usually cheaper... I just don't know if HDMI changes things. I was actually being a bit tongue in cheek and more bitching about how expensive TVs are in Japan.

No, seems like VR is what I've been waiting for my whole life, and I really don't care much if the image on a box that sits several feet away from me happens to look better. VR is a way better experience than "that tv looks gud" Besides, we'll see HDR in VR in about 5-10 years, so I'll just wait for that.[/QUOTE]
Was merely pointing out it doesn't have a tuner so may be exempt. We in the UK have to pay for TV licence so when buying a new TV from a store we have to give our name and address (they have our card info too) but a PSVR is exempt because it cannot receive the transmissions itself, it is just a display.

ArnoldRimmer

Superior Member
May 23, 2015
On Red Dwarf....
I agree with the OP that swapping hdmi cables is quite annoying and bit of a bad oversight for Sony to not give it 4K/HDR (or does it allow 4k?) pass through; especially given the short window between releases. Having said that, I'm having way too much fun with VR to think of trading it in because of that

ps3guy`

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2006
You're crazy dude, Sony has never been known as user friendly.

This is the cost you pay to enjoy the latest Sony boondogle.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
[QUOTE="ps3guy`, post: 6525241]You're crazy dude, Sony has never been known as user friendly.

This is the cost you pay to enjoy the latest Sony boondogle.[/QUOTE]

This isn't a boondoggle. It's amazing, and the only reason I don't use it more than I do is because the flood of new content at the launch has slowed down, and it takes a minute or so to set it up each time. I won't say VR (especially mid-high level like PSVR) is "the future" but rather that it SHOULD be. Really, though, we should get camera based VR/AR hybrid, like some of the mods on DK2, and something self contained (system + headset be on your body, no wires getting in the way) Also, Moves are decent with PSVR (when the tracking isn't too far off due to lighting conditions or turning around too far) but they could really use an upgrade.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
This is the future of VR.
Unortunately it is done afterwards so he can't see his own hands and wheel etc when playing.

From the description.
How Simracing Gameplay should look in the Future
FAQ
- No, i can´t see my hands or the steering wheel while playing, it´s done in video editing
- I´m using the Oculus Rift DK2 with runtime 0.6
- The block dot comes from unwarping the Rift video, I´m sorry for that, but i couldn´t get rid of it
- Greenscreen is to make my room invisible so i can edit real and virtual view together
- The poor resolution is because i record with 1080p but then have to crop the picture down the the view of one eye in 16:9 so i get less than 720p. This will get better as soon as i get the final verion of the Rift or the Vive
- PC: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 16GB Ram, GTX 980Ti
- Fanatec Clubsport Wheel Base V2 and Clubsport Pedals V2
[video=youtube;LlFKjWGxZqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFKjWGxZqk[/video]

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2008
tyneside
Well.....
Nearly a year later and I reconnected my PSVR to see if it still works before selling it to a work mate.
It still works and I gave Eagle Flight a try (brilliant by the way) and decided to keep it.

Obviously all my PSpro HDR games are now not enabled, but..... Playing Horizon and Uncharted, I can't notice any loss.

Oh my, all that time wasted for nothing.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Yungstar 2006, post: 6532936]Well.....
Nearly a year later and I reconnected my PSVR to see if it still works before selling it to a work mate.
It still works and I gave Eagle Flight a try (brilliant by the way) and decided to keep it.

Obviously all my PSpro HDR games are now not enabled, but..... Playing Horizon and Uncharted, I can't notice any loss.

Oh my, all that time wasted for nothing.[/QUOTE]

I unplug my PSVR when I play regular games. I was pretty impressed by Farpoint as that gun it comes with works incredibly well. Crazy how real it all feels. I have also been playing around Resident Evil 7 and it scares the living shit out of me when I play it. I hope one day we get a full blown 4K headset with HDR.

Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
I only have two options ATM to play PS4: Remote play or Cinematic mode on PSVR. I don't currently have a TV.

I know this situation is rare and doesn't apply to most people here, but just thought I'd say.

RE7 is amazing.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Damn.. I haven't touched my PSVR since before RE7. The digital copy is sitting right there as well..! I'm such a puss about playing it. Not that I'm in a rut - I'm still getting my regular gaming on..

I should give it another go, now that I have Pro.