Well, shit just got real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
Last night, I created a Facebook page out of boredom.

Within minutes, it had 100 likes. Within an hour, it had 1000. By the end of the night, it had 5600. People all over Facebook were talking about my page - but not all of it was good. It was a twist on the recent 'Spotted' trend on Facebook - pages for each town where people send messages to the page and the admin puts them up on anon for the people so others can discuss. Mine was different. People send me messages naming people who they know are doing the dirty/cheating/sleeping around/etc. I then publically name and shame those in the message and chaos ensues.

Anyway, by the end of the night, I had 560 messages in my inbox. Some were people congratulating me on an amazing page. Some were sending me messages for the page. The majority were people threatening me and telling me how 'sick' I am, and how I could be ruining lives. Anyway, people were threatening to call the police, etc for slander. However, this is just banter in the long run. I shrug it off. This morning, I wake up and my page - and my actual profile - have been suspended for 'bullying' which is complete bullshit. It gets better, though. I have a message and a voicemail from the BBC - they want to interview me on what possessed me to create the page, how I feel about it and how I feel about being the most hated person in my town - despite nobody knowing the actual admin (me) is.

It's just crazy.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="admartian, post: 6096650]The internet - it's serious business.

Seriously, that's kinda scary.[/QUOTE]
You're telling me, man, I've had all sorts of threats come through to my inbox today, calling me 'sick' and wishing death upon me. I don't care for the threats and I'll continue to do the page once the suspension is lifted later tonight. It's just crazy how big it became over night. People at work were discussing it today, not knowing the founder is sitting two feet away.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
My personal opinion; maybe it's your business, maybe it;s not. But the way I see it, you're not the one doing the cheating.

So I'd take the lesser of two evils here.

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
You musta expected a reaction? People are fuckin crazy nowadays...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
This sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully it becomes a trend here in the US. I've been seeing so much crap these days.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="Cyn, post: 6097384]Do you not feel bad for facilitating and encouraging bad people?[/QUOTE]

I think people who are stupid enough to post such private things in a very public place should be the ones feeling bad.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6097396]I'd love to see the page!!

Can you give us an idea of the "theme"/subject of the page?[/QUOTE]

He said this is what the page is about:

People send me messages naming people who they know are doing the dirty/cheating/sleeping around/etc. I then publically name and shame those in the message and chaos ensues.
Unless you mean something different?

Jan 31, 2007
Northern Ireland
[QUOTE="DaveNI1979, post: 6097445]Is that one of these "rate your shag" type of accounts where people go into detail of people theyve shagged and give them marks out of 10, Its not right doing that, I can see why people are pissed at you.[/QUOTE]

These pages are springing up all over there are about 3 for my uni atm. Spotted Library, Spotted Bus and Tell him/her. Basically an anonymous way to leave messages for people.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="TEJ2025, post: 6097480]You know people could just send you lies and that could actually ruin someones life.[/QUOTE]
I think this is part of why its become so big. Still, its all for fun.

As it stands, the page is still down. I'll link you all once its back up. Anyway, BBC rung me today to arrange an interview. I think the fact I'm 'slut shaming' and 'ruining lives' is quite controversial, aha.

DaveNI1979

Dedicated Member
Feb 8, 2007
Cookstown, Northern Ireland
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 6097528]I think this is part of why its become so big. Still, its all for fun.

As it stands, the page is still down. I'll link you all once its back up. Anyway, BBC rung me today to arrange an interview. I think the fact I'm 'slut shaming' and 'ruining lives' is quite controversial, aha.[/QUOTE]

What if it was your daughter or niece up there being talked about, being given marks out of 10. Its disgusting and you should be ashamed. Some people might not be able to get over thing like that and commit suicide over it. Well would that take you out of your boredom? People like you make me sick.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="DaveNI1979, post: 6097532]What if it was your daughter or niece up there being talked about, being given marks out of 10. Its disgusting and you should be ashamed. Some people might not be able to get over thing like that and commit suicide over it. Well would that take you out of your boredom? People like you make me sick.[/QUOTE]

Some people don't think about that until it's actually their life or a family member being involved.

DaveNI1979

Dedicated Member
Feb 8, 2007
Cookstown, Northern Ireland
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6097535]Some people don't think about that until it's actually their life or a family member being involved.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, its called being more mature and actually having a bit of a Conscience.

Im 34 now and have about 13 nieces & nephews I care a great deal about. If anyone ever did this to one of them I would hunt that person down.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="DaveNI1979, post: 6097532]People like you make me sick.[/QUOTE]
Boom.

Get over yourself. Its a fucking Facebook page. The option for whoever is named to contact me and request deletion is there.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Jaeger, post: 6097545]Boom.

Get over yourself. Its a fucking Facebook page. The option for whoever is named to contact me and request deletion is there.[/QUOTE]

Once someone is listed, then they've been seen by others... it's shameful. How about have it where you got consent from someone before mentioning them? Right now, how does someone even know that they are being "rated", etc., on a facebook page? Are they literally tagged, and notified?

Lebowski

Master Sage
Nov 29, 2007
Bowling
You shouldn't be surprised at the negative reactions you're getting. You basically have anonymous power thanks to the Internet. I didn't expect this from you though, given your comment in my thread about the movie theatre and how society is messed up and all. Then again, you are in 20's like me and our generation is pathetic, you and me included. But keep having fun, someone with enough passion and skills will eventually find out where you live (I'm not threatening you myself, I'm telling you what you might expect, given this page continues).

Edit: found a page, I don't it's his though

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedBoro?fref=ts

Last edited:

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="DreDayDetox, post: 6097563]But keep having fun, someone with enough passion and skills will eventually find out where you live (I'm not threatening you myself, I'm telling you what you might expect, given this page continues).[/QUOTE]

It's not hard. We just need to contact Carl. He'd know!

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6097564]It's not hard. We just need to contact Carl. He'd know![/QUOTE]
You say that as if it would bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.