What Am I Doing Wrong? YLOD.

irish-sid

I'm a hater, a traito.
Aug 26, 2007
I got some Arctic Silver thermal paste and a heat gun today to try and fix my ylod.

Twice now it's failed. I followed a Youtube vid exactly. I don't know what is going wrong.

I cleaned the old stuff off, heated like shown, applied new paste as shown and put it back together.

I'd say I have enough paste to try it once more, but I feel I'd be wasting my time.

Has this happened to any of you? And did you try anything different your second/third time around that got it working? Or are some of them just not fixable?

John25

Elite Sage
Apr 8, 2008
take the HDD out and try it as that can cause YLOD if its not that then you might have a faulty PSU or Fan (both can be replaced fairly cheap on ebay)

skyballin

Superior Member
Dec 27, 2007
cashcrate.com
If it isn't turning on, maybe you forgot to re-connect the power supply. If it is turning on, but u still get Ylod, there could be a problem with the power supply.

Edit: also, how hot is your heat gun and how long did you use it ?

Skyesapaart

Superior Member
Oct 1, 2008
www.youtube.com
My brothers PS3 got the YLOD, with a disk inside, instead of sending it in, he took it apart, got the disk, and fixed it himself.

However when he first tried it, (without a heatgun) it didnt work.

I told him he had to use one as it was essential for heating the board.

And bingo it worked. Ive seen alot of people have the same problems,
The heat is the key in bringing it back from the dead, you cannot just slap some paste on and expect it to work. Perhaps your not heating it long enough, or hot enough or at right distance from board etc.

I know vids are best way to learn but theres a thread here aswell, maybe reading through it maybe show or perhaps something your not doing correctly.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/tech-centre/36515-aidans-ylod-repair-guide.html

Anyway hope you manage to get it fixed. Fingers crossed for ya.

EDIT

I took a bit from the thread, its all about the heat, and merging the connections back together, its the heat that fixes the YLOD, not the paste, the paste simply keeps it cool.

This is the part where you actually go and fix the YLOD. Take the motherboard to a safe clean place, and set it on a piece of wood. Ensure that the motherboard is as level as possible. Turn the Heat Gun on, and make sure you let it sit for a minute or so to get to temperature. If you use the gun I linked to earlier, set it to slow. You want it to be around 700 Fahrenheit, and blowing slowly.

Once it's up to temperature, hold the Heat Gun about an inch away from the board, and heat up the areas boxed in on the photo. Each of the four areas should get about 15-20 seconds of concentrated heating, done in a circular motion. Just start with one sector, heat it for 17 seconds, then go to the next. Do this for all 4.

Now this is VERY important. Do not touch the board, and walk away. You have to wait 15-20 minutes now for it to cool off, and you do not want to move the motherboard. Moving it in this current condition will damage your motherboard beyond repair. What happened is that you liquefied all the connectors and soldering, and allowed it to merge back together. It will now cool off, and solidify. This is similar to the old graphics card in the oven trick. (don't do that to the PS3. Please.)

After 15-20 minutes (I took 20), turn the motherboard around. It's time to do the same thing on the top of the motherboard now. Again, you can see 4 areas highlighted on the photo. Each area needs about 15-20 seconds of heat in a circular motion. Same drill as before. Again, get the **** out of dodge once you're done, and tell the dog to go outside. It needs to sit there and not move for 20 minutes again.

Congratulations. If you did everything right, you now fixed the YLOD! PRAISE BE YEVON.

Now for another crucial element; the Thermal Compound. On both chips on the front of the motherboard, spread a little worm-looking bead of thermal compound on one side, and then using a credit card, or any card like that, spread it evenly across the surface of the chip. We're obviously talking about the two largest chips on the board, but you should've known that going by what you cleaned off earlier.

irish-sid

I'm a hater, a traito.
Aug 26, 2007
I'll have a look at that thread now Skyes, but the snippet you posted seems to be exactly what I done.

Yeah everything turns on, but I get the YLOD pretty soon after powering it up.

EDIT: I hired the heat gun for the day, it goes up to 500. I heated each area for a good while at about an inch away.

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
In most cases its a 50/50 chance it won't work. There is a video of a guy who has "fixed" his system 3 times and in the end he still got YOLD. He explained that after he fixed the system and it started working again a few weeks to a month down the road it got YOLD again. Those youtube videos aren't a permanent fix, the results vary on how long the system will last so it isn't a good solution at all. The problem now is that you broke the seal you will have to buy a new system if you can't get it to work so it ended up costing you more money than just sending into Sony...

John25

Elite Sage
Apr 8, 2008
[QUOTE="PsychoMantis, post: 0]In most cases its a 50/50 chance it won't work. There is a video of a guy who has "fixed" his system 3 times and in the end he still got YOLD. He explained that after he fixed the system and it started working again a few weeks to a month down the road it got YOLD again. Those youtube videos aren't a permanent fix, the results vary on how long the system will last so it isn't a good solution at all. The problem now is that you broke the seal you will have to buy a new system if you can't get it to work so it ended up costing you more money than just sending into Sony...[/quote]

nope Sony will still replace it witrh a refurb for $150 as long as all the parts are there

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
[QUOTE="John25, post: 0]nope Sony will still replace it witrh a refurb for $150 as long as all the parts are there[/quote]

He fiddle with the system using a heat gun and things trying to fix it so its more than likely they won't touch it...

John25

Elite Sage
Apr 8, 2008
[QUOTE="PsychoMantis, post: 0]He fiddle with the system using a heat gun and things trying to fix it so its more than likely they won't touch it...[/quote]

yer they will still take it though.Numerous ppl have said it including Gilksy himself was told by a Sony rep that as long as all the parts are there they will still replace it. As basically the system was broken anyway before he opened it and tried to fix it

Hunter

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
GA
Like others have stated... its not a guaranteed thing...

Good Luck anyhow on your next attempt.

H

Hidden Star

The Motherboard is not the only issue that is making your PS3 go YLOD, there are a multitude of reasons - it is a general hardware failure. The motherboard is just the most common issue of them all. It could be your HDD or other things.

irish-sid

I'm a hater, a traito.
Aug 26, 2007
Ah, it's finished. Third time and it didn't work. Tried different HDDs too. Shame.
Thank you all though.

Steve

Forum Sage
Nov 19, 2008
Columbia, MO
It really is ridiculous how many Playstation 3's are getting the Yellow Light of Death...

I don't understand it... My Playstation 2 was abused, yet I never had any major issues with it, and here I have always taken good care of my console, and two of them had malfunctioned and died.

1solidsnake

Forum Elder
Aug 22, 2007
time to save you nickels and dimes AND QUARTERS!! to buy a new ps3. ps3s are hard to fix. people play there ps3s way to long. the longest i played was 6 hrs and that was MGS4. i update mine no matter what. but, no one else touches my ps3 except me.

Hunter

Dedicated Member
Oct 13, 2006
GA
[QUOTE="SchaffinOSX, post: 0]It really is ridiculous how many Playstation 3's are getting the Yellow Light of Death... [/quote]

Yea and the sad thing is, I fear that this will continue to be a problem with future consoles. As the hardware becomes more and more demanding, I feel that designers/manufacturers of the consoles will not hold up to the quality of say one specialized part. I know that its possible but it seems with the high cost of producing these things and the price point they have to sell at won't allow great quality to happen.

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
companies say that they go R&D for a long time but you can bet dollars to donuts they cut corners just like game devs. This is the first time since I got the PS1 that I had to send my console to Sony more than once to get it "fixed". I have a PS3 Slim now and its doing fine but the PS3 fat systems are the ones having the most trouble.

Lucas000

Apprentice
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="irish-sid, post: 0]I got some Arctic Silver thermal paste and a heat gun today to try and fix my ylod.

Twice now it's failed. I followed a Youtube vid exactly. I don't know what is going wrong.

I cleaned the old stuff off, heated like shown, applied new paste as shown and put it back together.

I'd say I have enough paste to try it once more, but I feel I'd be wasting my time.

Has this happened to any of you? And did you try anything different your second/third time around that got it working? Or are some of them just not fixable?[/quote]

you forgot the part where you jump on it

Sep 29, 2007
Mine got a YOLD a week ago. Did the exact same thing as the fixing guide/youtube video. Still got a YLOD, and its not the power as it turn on and the shuts off. It was the original 60GB model so warranty is out. I bought a Slim but was still hoping to sell the old 60Gb if I fixed it.

hillybilly

Elite Member
Apr 29, 2008
The 'fix' isnt necessarily a fix, ive heard numerous success and failure stories with reapplying the thermal paste - fortunatly ive never had to try myself as Sony sent me a free refurb when mine broke down despite me being out of warranty. If youstill cant fix it id recommend calling Sony and hopefully they might offer a free refurb if you still have your proof of purchase and are out of warranty

Lucas000

Apprentice
Mar 30, 2009
[QUOTE="R_Mac_1, post: 0]I hope you planned on disclosing the fact that it was repaired. Just sayin...[/quote]

lol disclosing that would be foolish :p at the end of the day it breaking isn't your fault - it's Sony's for making faulty equipment. Don't see why we as consumers should suffer accordingly and pay for a 2nd machine because the first was shoddy quality.