What are the latest developments in computer graphics?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Apart from 4K and HDR, what are the latest developments in computer graphics? Specifically, what do we have yet to see in home consoles that is being worked on and/or showcased in the PC gaming space?

I know subsurface scattering (photon rendering) is more commonplace as well as hardware tessellation but I'm ignorant of any recent developments in computer graphics apart from higher resolutions.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Is that all though? I was thinking more about stuff like physically based rendering or image stabilization.

Last edited:

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6534867]Is that all though? I was thinking more about stuff like physically based rendering or image stabilization.[/QUOTE]

PBR is already available in tens of dozens of games for the last few years, it's nothing new.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
PC is kind of playing catch up with the consoles to some degree. Most devs just (figuratively) came out with their brand new fancy engines which were written with DX11 in mind. Granted, it would have been "DX11 and beyond" but the "beyond" part is only really realised when something is there to facilitate it.

Since Vulkan and DX12 released there's only really been 2 games that actually properly leverage the newer API's beyond what most titles do - The two being DOOM, and Wolfenstien. Most tiles which state "DX12" are mostly using DX11 with select DX12 features.

IMHO, consoles are typically the place where you get cool advancement in tech since the limits of the system are abundantly clear.

"Checkerboarding" for example was born out of the work done studying MSAA, a technique which almost no one uses nowadays and most shy'd away from for its steep performance cost.

Guerrilla Games do GPU based procedural placement. Where some meshes (like rocks, trees, vegetation etc) have their in-game location done all on the GPU, a task that is typically done on the CPU.

Then you have the work Naughty Dog do with Uncharted (and presumably TLoU) where thy have moved to use some of the tech Pixar developed - and use it in real time no less!

Some of the stuff PC's could do which consoles could not was afforded to it due to the API; DX11 allowed hardware tesselation, and Screen space reflections (to name a few). DX12/Vulkan doesn't really afford that same bump, the API's are all pretty similar now, with PC actually being the one lagging a bit.

Having said that, the sheer power differential that PC have in favour easily makes up for the difference and then goes further. Anything a console can do, a PC can do too (to an extent) and more. Whereas a console may compromise, a PC may not and run higher quality assets, higher resolutions, and higher frame-rates.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6534901]HDMI 2.1 was also just announced ... supporting up to 10K.[/QUOTE]
Wow.

Just read about it though and they also talk about variable refresh rate or G-sync. If I'm reading it correctly, it pretty much means you won't see screen-tearing at the highest resolutions?

[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6534906]Then you have the work Naughty Dog do with Uncharted (and presumably TLoU) where they have moved to use some of the tech Pixar developed - and use it in real time no less![/QUOTE]
I think that's what I wanted to get at, stuff you don't normally see rendered in real-time. A preview of what's to come or what we think we'll see in future consoles.

DX12/Vulkan doesn't really afford that same bump, the API's are all pretty similar now, with PC actually being the one lagging a bit.
It seems unusual that that would be the case since console hardware is more or less born out of PCs, right? But I know what you're saying about console games being able to show off new advancements because they run on the same fixed configurations being better optimized over time.

Last edited:

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6534914]It seems unusual that that would be the case since console hardware is more or less born out of PCs, right?[/QUOTE]
The older the API, the less favourably the PC stacks up against the consoles in terms of efficiency. PS4 for example has two different API's. A low level API, that presumably only first party devs use, and a high level API that is more in line with DX11.

So it depends, one of the reasons people like Macs is because they have a more homogeneous design. It's therefore easier to make things for it. The colloquial "PC" allows greater flexibility in the way you design a unit, but this comes with a trade off in that something needs to marshal every possible hardware permutation - this is where the drivers come in.

Consoles are like a mac in that they have homogeneous designs. So if i make something for PS4 (for example) i can make use of that low level API 100% of the time, which means i am afforded the chance to do things i might not be able to do if i also had to keep in mind that the higher API needed to be supported. It's in this regard where PC's lag behind, and compensate with sheer power.