What are you looking for in a review...really?

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
What is a review? An abstract. An evaluation. A simple synopsis. How about a score? Well, that's a bit more tricky to define, and that's exactly where many of us have been fooled and quite frankly...manipulated.

Fooled because they've taken our attention away from the information that reviews provide while giving us a subconscious idea that since numbers are scientific, then opinionated scores must be too.

Manipulated because we let these scores dictate our purchases. We won't buy less than an 8, whatever the hell that means. This score business also sways our emotions. People getting p*ssed off for no other reason than the so-called expert or professional didn't give a score that warrants their personal seal of approval.

But let's get back to what a score is...and isn't. A score is a number. Simple as that. A numerical representation of the evaluator's opinion. Here's what a score isn't:
  • Scientific - We use numbers for polls, math, and every kind of scientific discipline under the sun. We use them for statistics, and also grow up with numbers representing our academic performance, like in exams. Therefore, I believe that as people, we've got a certain psychological and symbolic notion when it comes to numbers. The thing is, there's a method to the madness behind scoring all of these things I listed. If you get 5/100 questions wrong on a test, you've got 95%. There's a method there. If you make a basket playing hoops, you got two or three points. There's a method there. You rate a game 8/10... There is no standardized method here. No matter how many subcategories you fill up, such as graphics, gameplay, controls, story, sound, presentation, replay value, options, modes, customization, etc...you can hit all the bullet points, but regardless, behind all of those things lie an opinionated conclusion. Absolutely nothing pertaining to subjective scoring is concrete...not a bloody thing. Therefore, we need to stop entertaining these scores as if they are the byproduct of years of painstakingly thorough research...once again, they're just a representation of some human being's opinion. That's right folks, God, Allah, Zeus, Clark Gable, Selassie, or whatever you believe in, is not laying down the law on these things, so relax.
  • Factual - I once saw a poster say "Game Y, what did that get, like a 6?" I was awe-stricken. This person said this in a manner as if that 6 that they saw from some media outlet was bona fide truth. I've seen this mentality run rampant throughout the internet, and I can never figure out why. Folks...I hate to spoil your fun, but this scores and ratings business is once again...just the opinion of another man or woman. How many of us have bought a recommended or not recommended game and felt differently from the way the pundits do? I dare someone to tell me that they've always been in accord with what the "experts" say. Which brings me to...
  • Official - Everyone loves to talk up scores from IGN, Gamespot, 1up, Eurogamer, or whatever so-called credible outlets are there, as if they are some official verdict handed down from the government. You know what I equate the word credible to when speaking of these? Exposure. That's all it means. Every and any credible reviewer is only considered credible because they have more exposure, and therefore, more clout than the next outlet, That truly is all it boils down to, and I'll tell you why. Explain why an opinion from a journalist at IGN may or may not mean more than the opinion of your random internet blogger. Notice how I called for OPINION, not information, not coverage, not exclusive preview write-ups, videos, screenshots, or anything of the sort. As far as that stuff goes, toot your horn about official all day long if you so desire, that's fine, because it's true in this case. When we're talking about opinions though, one isn't worth more than the other, especially in the case of entertainment. Maybe if we're talking dental equipment from a dentist. Maybe if we're talking tools from a mechanic. But not when it comes to the joy one gets from a piece of entertainment. There is no human being on this planet who can tell me what I like better than me, period.
  • Specific - Ask thirty people what a 7 means to them, and you'll get 30 different answers. I rest my case. People pay way too much attention to these arbitrary numbers that have been assigned, if you will, to games. These conspiracy theorists and folks who are just generally insecure in their own skin are constantly telling themselves and others why reviewer X is crazy for not giving game Y a 9 instead of an 8. All the while, these folks don't even bother to read these reviews to really decide for themselves if the information itself is on point, if the synopsis matches up with the verdict given, or anything of the sort. Nope, we'd rather look at a score, disagree with it, and tell ourselves why we're right and they're wrong. Forget about things like specifics and information, we'll just jump straight to the conclusion. Anything for that almighty climax.
That's enough about all of that, let's talk about ourselves now. Why do we get so irritated about scores? Worse yet, why are we hypocrites about scores and let ourselves get distracted from the synopsis itself?

I'd bet a dime to a dollar that a review that literally said "I like Gran Turismo because it has cookies and oysters" yet gave the game a 10 wouldn't get a shred of controversy. No stigma attached there, it satisfied our egos. It helped us stroke ourselves, so we can be a little bit more secure in our own skin. Why do we need an "official" outlet to tell us what to think? Someone tell me why they can't discuss scores without coming out with all of these ridiculous excuses.

The saddest part about it is, this always comes from folks who assure us and themselves that they already love this game. Well, let me ask you this...if you've already made up your mind about something subjective, why on earth are you so upset about what someone else thinks? Why are you so busy trying to tell everyone that they're either crazy, biased, foolish, not a true gamer, etc? That's not genuine...that's not being comfortable in your own skin...those are the actions of an insecure hypocrite.

I honestly wonder how many people would proudly proclaim their love of a franchise like Gran Turismo or God of War if these games had gotten 3's and 4's from several media outlets.

Another thing is that every time we get PO'ed about this sort of thing, it just dignifies what the media is trying to perpetuate. Notice how the outlets rarely declare their scores and aggregates as "just my opinion". We always get a headline like "First official review!" or, "Our experts weigh in!" or "The verdict is finally here!"...just perpetuating the silly myth that the opinions of these pundits are somehow more credible and enlightened than yours and mine.

Personally I think journalism sucks right now, because it's become contrived. Scores have turned into a faux-scientific benchmark to almost literally control the minds of consumers. Reviewers can't even give their honest opinions anymore, because there are so many close and sensitive ties to the industry and community that it's such a touchy subject these days. I'm all for these cats giving their opinions and all, but they are willfully peddling this stuff like it's some sort of law, and since publishers have been buttering them up with exclusive beta code, gifts, and luxury getaways to be the first people to play the game(I'm staring hard at all of you douche-bag executives at KONAMI!), it just furthers the dishonest, pretentious crap to continuously be flushed down our throats.

I'll be d*mned if MGS4 gets anything less than a 9 from the cretins that were invited to that little paradise getaway to play the game before everyone else. One of them genuienly may not have liked the game, but they've all been buttered up so much that at this point, I doubt a lousy genuine opinion matters anymore, but I digress.

My point is that whether or not the journalism is genuine, by complaining about it, we're making it seem as if we can't handle the truth, like these verdicts and scores that are coming out everywhere are some fact that we're in denial about. Why argue about a score that's just an opinion? Why get furious when someone doesn't like a game as much as you do?

It's as simple as "I enjoy this game, IGN didn't...oh well".

Does it take a million conspiracy theories, venomous epithets and accusations to justify that? Of course not, we're simply dealing with the way an individual feels about a piece of entertainment. What's the big deal?

B

Bust Nak

The big sites are the worse, they have the traffic so they think they can pretty much do what they want. They review hype and expectation rather than the actual quality. There is very little consistency either, one game will get a low mark while another game with the same flaw will get higher score simply because it was reviewed by a fan of the genre.

The editor is not only there to check for mistakes, part of their job is to make sure reviews are inline with one another when reviewed by different people (within reason, game of the same genre etc,) so you can say with confidence game A score higher than game B so game A is better. I found this is very much lacking in game reviews from the big sites.

The only review I really trust are the fan reviews, they love the game enough to spend their free time writing about it or recommenting it on a forum. Ignoring the ones filled with 1337 speak written by 13 years old, the others tent to be pretty balanced about the pros and cons of their game which they took their time to enjoy, unlike the professional who is doing a job with a deadline.

FdMstng99

Forum Sage
Feb 19, 2008
Maryland
Just give me some information and let me decide whether or not I want to buy the game. I tend to not trust some of the big review sites and mags, I'd rather hear reviews and opinions from people like us who play these games for fun and not as a job.

Ball3r

Forum Elder
Jan 14, 2008
Just give me information on the game to help me make a decision really. That's usually the only reason I look at reviews in the first place.

Riskz

Superior Member
Dec 30, 2007
Information to help my decision. Once I've set my mind on getting a game it's pretty hard for reviews etc. to put me off getting it. For example Im going to get Killzone 2, theres going to be alot of stuff said about it (though most of it will be from PS3 haters), but I liked the last one, so I can't see them doing worse, as they have more money etc. to help them this time. The only thing that would stop me getting it is if it happened to get an average review score of something like 6/10, but I doubt that.

kokoriet

Dedicated Member
Sep 7, 2007
Honesty.

Edit: Oh, and the graphic score be based on how well it runs, not how good it looks. Glitches, tearing, FPS problems and the like. If you're going to give a great looking game with the just mentioned problems a 9.5/10, that decision is going to look like pure crap a few years down the road. How good a game looks is entirely subjective to how each person views it anyway, so it's even more dumb for a review to try and rate it.

kryton101

Dedicated Member
Sep 12, 2006
First off great post man +rep. (certainly to my mind 9/10)

In terms of the numbers it is something that permeates every part of society whether we are reading a review on a car, a CD, film, some music player or any other piece of technology. I guess that to an extent we have become so entrenched in the media's own 1 to 10 numbering system that it's become a case of can't see the wood for the trees.

I have long been a fan of the EDGE magazine method of reviewing because of it's refusal to use scores (althought hey do now appear as very small numbers at the end of reviews.) As I've eerr 'matured' (read get old.) the numbers have become more of a side issue and what I really try to get out of a review is the feeling of enthusiasm that the reviewer has in what they are playing an talking about and belief in that enthusiasm.

There is obviously a huge opportunity for well written reviews that dont have any such score system attached to them but I can see why in our own desire to give the uncertain some level of tangible context we have, and continue to use a structured and established number system to provide some measured level of good versus bad.

Oct 19, 2006
Well written Lord Arklon and thanks for bringing this topic up for discussion in a mature and well presented manner.

Unfortunately, I think that this thread will be missed by the people who really need to understand the ideas that you have presented. The kids making threads about how the latest PS3 game is terribly underrated will miss the point here and probably continue to make those threads while ignoring the fact that reviews are the opinion of one journalist.

When I say journalist I use this word in the loosest sense I possibly can, I really don't think that, in the realm of games reviews, unbiased and pure fact will ever be popular as reviews require the feelings and viewpoints of a person. Plus the fact that it may not be entertaining to simply read a list of facts like the way a credible news paper should present a breaking story.

MA77_G0D

Apprentice
Jun 11, 2007
When I see reviews I always take them with an earth sized rock of salt. Sure, I do look at the score, and when a game gets 85 + it normally means it is good. But I dont base my purchases on this score. I always read through what they have to say. And I NEVER base a purchase on a single review. I always look at multiple reviews. What I tend to look for are the cons and pros, and if the cons are silly things I will get a game. For example, upon first seeing Army of Two, it looked like a game that I would enjoy. And so I bought it, and so did my brother. We then played through the whole game on Co-op and found it very fun. I also trie single player and the AI is no way as bad as made out to be. Sure, it can be better, but when I read reviews they made it out to be AWFUL, whe in truth, it is not. Also more lately, I bought Dark Sector. Why? Because I read reviews made by You, the playstation community. And YOU gave me a very different view on the game compared to these BIG review companies (Such as IGN.com, Gamespot.com, Gametrailers.com etc). Reviews are helpful, but never decide for me. I am old enough to make my own decisions... lol

Btw, i voted for the third option, which is kinda a given considering it got 100%, at 15:30 GMT anway.

- Matt -

EVILPS3

Master Poster
Jul 3, 2007
I'm a bit of a score whore to be honest but I'm normally very cautious about what games I buy(I have had my ps3 since launch and only have 8 games). I tend to skip straight to the score in reviews but i do read other sources and then gather my own opinions on whether or not the games a purchase.

Laser

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2006
Looks like the result of this poll is an overwhelming "duhh"! Sorry I didn't read the OP, this issue is too freaking simple to warrant writing an essay.

Reviews give me information about the game so I can gauge whether or not I would enjoy it. The ball is in my court, and in most cases I'm quite capable of figuring out whether or not I'll like a game - without reading reviews. We're on the internet right now, we can easily get about 500 other opinions on a game to accompany the one reviewer's opinion. Even reading 500 opinions is not enough to ultimately decide whether a person will like a game, each person in unique in their tastes and must judge for themselves - reviews do help people understand a game though.

Serinous

Elite Sage
Feb 18, 2008
i usually look for general information about the game... especially estimate total play hour... then i'll know if i wanna rent or just buy. i dont buy games when i can beat it in a weekend.... lol

B

borninshadow

Ok, Arklon? You need to stop saying things I've been telling people for years >.<

Especially since you do it quite a bit better than me :)

I agree with you though, there's way too much weight put on reviews.

I still remember someone came over and saw me playing Lair. After finding out I bought it, they dropped some mention of how it was such a terrible game. All I asked was "Played it yourself?" When I got a sheepish "no" in response, I told him to kindly piss off.

I understand some reviews can be seen as a good indicator of how bad a game is (usually a solid trend of 1-2s for a game is a pretty good idea that it's horrendous) but it annoys me that anything below an 8 or so is considered a bad game. I'm sure if I went looking through my collection of games, I'd find tons of games that scored rather poorly, but are some of my favorite games.

Anyway, I seem to have rambled a bit...hum.

With regards to the outrage people get about some reviews, I think they may just feel the reviewer isn't giving the game a fair shake (or being all too lenient). I could cite quite a few games that get hammered on ever minor problem (Lair, I saw a few Warhawk ones like that too) and others that could have half the game missing and still get passing marks. I won't name anything from the second category, since I'm sure everyone can put something in there =P

I'm just glad I don't take reviews as the gospel truth, otherwise I'd have a 360 instead of my PS3, use a mac and be playing Halo or Bioshock right now :pale

No offense intended to anyone who has a 360, mac, likes Halo or Bioshock, but for me, no thanks.

-Aaron, needs to skip this album

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Laser, post: 0]Looks like the result of this poll is an overwhelming "duhh"! Sorry I didn't read the OP, this issue is too freaking simple to warrant writing an essay.

Reviews give me information about the game so I can gauge whether or not I would enjoy it. The ball is in my court, and in most cases I'm quite capable of figuring out whether or not I'll like a game - without reading reviews. We're on the internet right now, we can easily get about 500 other opinions on a game to accompany the one reviewer's opinion. Even reading 500 opinions is not enough to ultimately decide whether a person will like a game, each person in unique in their tastes and must judge for themselves - reviews do help people understand a game though.[/quote]

You know, that was exactly my point, and one would think so, you really would, but a glance a few pages deep into the archives of this forum and countless others suggests otherwise.

I wouldn't have written this up were it not an issue, but time and time again I see folks complaining about scores not matching up to what they think it should be, whining about the reviewers being crazy, biased, and absurd, etc. That's is all well and good per se, but the problem is these people don't care about them being that way...not in the abstract they don't.It's just an excuse because that particular reviewer didn't see it their way, so they have to rationalize in their own head about it. Sorry for the crazy run-on sentence, but like I said, if a reviewer said they liked the PS3 because it could bake cookies and make pancakes and then gave it a 10...you wouldn't hear a peep about bad journalism. Write up a review that doesn't agree with them though...and all Hell breaks loose.

I think journalism for the most part does suck, and is indeed contrived, but it's not because of scores, it's because of motives, coverage, and corruption. Most other folks, you won't hear a peep about that sort of stuff until their favorite game gets a *gasp* 7!

You're absolutely right though...when you think about it, it is a resounding "DUH!!"...but based on the view to comments ratio in this very thread alone(don't even mention the small amount willing to take the poll...), I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people wear those horse-blinders with pride and keep on truckin'.

Tetsu

Forum Guru
May 6, 2006
Well, I skipped the poll thingie. What I look for in a review is a review-ER who isn't in love with a certain console or company, or in bed with them - $$, and likes a wide variety of games. And this includes someone with a Sony bias, because someone who gives every PS3 game an 8 or better is worthless to me.

I will have to say I am pretty distrustful of every lackluster PS3 review because there was quite an anti-PS3 bandwagon last year. I really doubt that Lair is as bad as many say it is, and at some point intend to pick it up.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Tetsu, post: 0]Well, I skipped the poll thingie. What I look for in a review is a review-ER who isn't in love with a certain console or company, or in bed with them - $$, and likes a wide variety of games. And this includes someone with a Sony bias, because someone who gives every PS3 game an 8 or better is worthless to me.

I will have to say I am pretty distrustful of every lackluster PS3 review because there was quite an anti-PS3 bandwagon last year. I really doubt that Lair is as bad as many say it is, and at some point intend to pick it up.[/quote]

It's getting harder and harder, if not nigh impossible, to find such a person these days. As far as I'm concerned, most people affiliated with a major media outlet has their hands tied, no matter how good their intentions and code of ethics may be. Reason is because of the close ties that the outlets have with the industry these days.

What happens if a company gets too many bad reviews, or feels it's being treated unfairly? They pull advertising. They don't give out exclusive interviews, no more exclusive first previews, merchandise, goodie bags, complementary play tests, and things of that nature. Therefore, the editor that sees the reviews and scores has to consider all of this stuff before it's published, even if the reviewer has other interests at heart.

Like I said earlier, I'll be d*mned if any of the folks who had this luxury getaway with Kojima Productions give Metal Gear Solid 4 anything less than a 9. This sort of thing is completely unnecessary, that's what we have playtesters for. A gaming journalist's opinion shouldn't be rated any higher than your average joe simply because he has more clout, that's just ridiculous.

I think things would be much better if the ties to the gaming publishers weren't so strongly associated with media outlets. If that were the case, neither one could hang anything over the head of the other, but journalists are so competitive now that it will never, EVER get any better.

GunTeng

Elite Guru
May 1, 2006
It needs to be seen to be consistent between games and genres.

I mean, take COD4 and GT5P for example.

The identified the same issues that I can easily identify in COD4, yet they deduct points for GT5P and not COD4.

My rating of GT5P would come pretty close tho theirs (8.5)
I just don't understand how a game with so many flaws as COD4 can get 9.4 etc.
To me that is utter nonsense and is totally inconsistent.

Its good that they were smart enough to rate GT5P for what it was ( a prologue etc) but come on.
COD4 is essentially an online game with no account for online options (comms issues, reporting, friend invites) and offline, its AI is as bad as they claim GT5P AI to be.
They had a moan that GT5P had no environmental destruction ( crash barriers etc), yet did they have a moan about that with COD4 that is a war game with high-explosives? Sure they didn't.

So what gives.
They are misleading people with reviews and ratings.
They make it sound as if a racing game requires environmental destruction, yet they wash past it with another game.

Consistency and fairness with all games regardless of genre or platform.....thats the only answer.
Im glad I don;
I don't usually read reviews, but I did this time after hearing the GT5P rating. Although whether I read or didn't read COD4 ratings and reviews, I still would have ended up bitterly disappointed with it.

Revenger92

Superior Member
Dec 3, 2007
+Rep nice thread as always Lord Arklon. I went with this one Reviews give me information, so they help me make a decision, instead of deciding for me. I think Reviews are sometimes biased and might differ from your own view of a game someone who is a racing games fan might think GT:p is the best game on PS3 while someone else might think that MGS4 is way better than any racing game. Its just a matter of tastes and preferences you the information in teh review can give you an idea about the game but to really know how good a game is you haveto play it.

Mar 18, 2008
A review to me is more of a guideline. It's hard to buy games based on reviews because the only games I usually buy are the ones I don't need a review for (MGS4, GTAIV). Often, I play through a game and assess my own score and match it up with IGN... Sometimes it's on, sometimes it's not.

As for what I am looking for: I am not looking for the nitpicky "Well upon further inspection at 200x zoom, the bullet holes in the wall could be more detailed". A brief synopsis of how the graphics are as a whole, and a comparison to other big name games. The experience is what I am looking for, I like to read reviews from people in my demographic (young adults). Although every player is unique it offers some insight because we have grown up on the same games and systems.

In short, life was much easier before forums and reviews. I bought what game looked cool and played through enjoying it.

immunoman

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2007
www.myspace.com
I like an honest and unbiased assessment of the major quality points being: graphics, sound, game play, and overall immersion into the game's environment both within the single player and multiplayer modes.

Gunner

Apprentice
Nov 19, 2007
punctuation 9.5/10

substance 9/10

spaceing 9.5/10

humour 6.5/10

relevance 10/10

overall score 8.9 /10

p.s damn so close to a AAA post , if you had posted it on x-box forums it would probably get a 9.5 .

Mar 19, 2008
I think now more than ever I have to review a game, just because I'm getting into different kinds of games. They don't decide it for me, but it makes me keen to rent it first then just ignoring the game all together. What helps me out the most is what people say good and bad about it. I think the real experts are the ones that are on this board and either say this game is the greatest or this game is the worst, and see the arguement unfold.

Revenger92

Superior Member
Dec 3, 2007
[QUOTE="Gunner, post: 0]punctuation 9.5/10

substance 9/10

spaceing 9.5/10

humour 6.5/10

relevance 10/10

overall score 8.9 /10

p.s damn so close to a AAA post , if you had posted it on x-box forums it would probably get a 9.5 .[/quote]
I dont really get what u mean there do u mean Gamespot and how they reviewed Ratchet and Clank gave an AAA game 7.5 reason: too much u can do in a game basically.

j1994

Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2006
I go with the magazines, especially OPM. A game they like, I usually like as well, and some of their reviews have made me buy games that I would have missed out on ( was undecided about cod4) and their low scores help me avoid the crap (turning point, dodge like a bullet)

Dec 19, 2006
I very rarely read any reviews for games at all these days. Like EVILPS3, I am really quite picky when it comes to buying games and I do tend to only go for high profile titles that I know I am going to enjoy without having to read anything. But, I'm gonna rant about this issue anyway.

I would love to have reviews with no scores - they would be just as subjective and opinionated as the reviews we have now but, without the number at the end, it would make it a bit harder for "fanboys" to get upset over them or throw s**t at the "other side". It would completely put an end to people complaining "but they said the game was great all the way through the review and then only gave it a 7.8". The trouble is, people like to have that number there because it does make them feel secure to see a 9 at the end, regardless of what was said in the text. People like to have exact quantities as it makes it easy for them to say whether one game is better than another, even though it is always a completely subjective matter.

On a slight tangent, I particularly despise decimal and % scores these days. When I was younger I used to hate any magazine that didn't review in percentages - I really can't say why because I don't know - but now I've "matured" (loosest sense of the term, of course) the flaw of this system is very obvious to me. I'd just like to know exactly what makes an 87% game better than an 86% game - any takers? It's when you take the matter to this extreme that the idea of numerical "scoring" really breaks down. What if the reviewer is having a particularly bad day? He or she may well subconsciously knock a few percentage points off that one and vise-versa if they happen to be feeling great. If they really must put scores at the end of reviews I don't want it to be influenced by what side of the bed the journalist fell out of - it's bad enough that they are being payed off by MS, getting sacked by Gamespot or whisked off to the land of the rising sun to play MGS4. ;)

Sticking to "marks out of 10" (whole numbers only) does go some way to eliminate that particular issue and I do feel that, on the whole, it is a much "fairer" or realistic way to score games, even if it is still just one persons opinion at the end of the day.

Dec 25, 2005
I never trust anyone else with an opinion on a game. I just look for lolz in reviews, and zero punctuation provides plenty(along with great review of the game).

MA77_G0D

Apprentice
Jun 11, 2007
In contrast to the post made by 'GunTeng' (I think...lol), I have read countless reviews of GT5:p where I have seen, 'This game has very little content so we'll give it a 7'. I mean, its a Prologue. Review it as @half' a game, because essentially that is what it is. I mean, its the best demo I have played by far, anyone agree?

- Matt -

se7enthsign

Super Elite
Mar 31, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
www.myantstew.com
Well, I go straight to the PS3/Xbox 360 comparison part since that is the only thing that matters. My reaction to the game is based entirely on this and the number/letter score of the PS3 version as compared to the 360 version. Here are my reactions based on reviews.

-Both have minor framerate issues, but the PS3 version seems to have a little bit more than the 360.
This means the devs are teh LAYZIE!!! I gotta find a forum quick so I can bash EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Sega, or somebody. No one is safe from my wrath as I will call for a boycott of all of their games and put them out of business all by myself! I will never buy a video game not made by Sony again!

-The PS3 version has slightly better lighting in some areas of the game.
This PROVES that the PS3 is the mostest powerful uber console of the millenium and the Xbox 360 is garbage!! The 360 can't do it! This is the greatest video game ever made and it's beter on PS3 HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh, and this is a great review from an unbiased website!

-While the two versions are identical in every way, people who like rumble and acheivement points will probably go with the 360 version.
This review is biased!!! Microsoft has them in their back pocket! There is no way a 360 game can possibly be better than a PS3 game. YOU JUST SAID THEY WERE EXACTLY THE SAME!!! They just hate the PS3, that's what it is!

-Overall, this was a horrible game on both systems. However, if you insist on torturing yourself and buying it, go with the PS3 version because of the better D-pad design.
This is the BEST GAME EVER!!! Obviously, the true power of the PS3 was unlocked and unleashed all over Microsoft!! HAHAHA, eat that! Cell and Blu Ray FTW!! All other consoles are for losers!!!

Sadly, I feel that some people are really like that. Not just PS3 fanboys either, but all fanboys look for every little thing they can for "video game bragging rights"

Honestly, when I look at reviews, I'm just checking to see if anything is totally broken in the game. Other than major technical issues, I ignore reviews completely.

I look at game reviews the same way I look at movie reviews. Being a fan of horror movies, I've learned to steer clear of mainstream movie critics who will give a movie a bad score because "there's too much blood". Um, it's a SLASHER MOVIE! It's supposed to have blood!