What Can Sony Learn From 3DS Launch?

A

Always_Laughing

http://psp.ign.com/articles/115/1157943p1.html

An IGN article talking about how Sony can improve on the launch the 3DS had.

Most of the statements are pretty much common sense, or what you would want in the first place.

Basically it said:
1)Needs a must have "killer ap" game.
2)Make an event out of it
3)Battery life
4)Show off the features at launch with
5)World wide release

What do you guys think of the 3ds launch, the article, and what you would like Sony to do for a great launch day?

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
1) A killer app or must have game

that is probably the most important thing. The reason I'm not getting a 3DS at launch is because most of the games look like rubbish, or arn't enough to justify a purchase.

ddPLaNeT

Forum Elder
Apr 7, 2008
Montreal
Price is the most important and a very good launch game to go with it.

I can't wait for NGP !!! After seeing the 3DS in action, i want an NGP even more. I personally wasn't impressed with 3DS at all.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Heh, good luck with better battery life. It's not as if some magical new battery innovation has been made or will be made before NGP's launch that would suddenly increas the battery life considerably (at least one that could be put to use in a consumer product and not have the price be astronomical). The only way to improve it would be to have a bigger batter, which is a big no-no, seeing as people are complainging about the size of NGP even as it is now. Or they could have several batteries (don't iPads have, like, three or four of them?), but that would again raise the problem of size limitations.

Face it, NGP might have an even worse battery life than 3DS (2-4 hours vs. 3-5), or even in the best case scenario it will probably be about the same, with maybe an extra 1-hour of juice in the optimal situations.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
Six - the price has to be good as well; as already mentioned. If they bring out a new Uncharted, Killzone, and Wipeout... wowzers. If they are just ports from already released PS3/PSN games... boooooo

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
Man, I must be in an entirely different boat because the only way I'd want a handheld is if none of the games, on it, were out on a home console. Get my drift?

Uncharted NGP does not excite me. I guess others, who do a lot of traveling, might like that.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
A good game worth playing is a good game worth playing, no matter the platform. While yes, there are certain things that should be taken into account when developing a handheld iteration, I don't see why having a portable Uncharted (especially now that there are two analog sticks) is a bad thing.

Also the 3Ds is far too much like the DS to have a significant launch.
The hell it is. :lol:

WipEout will be a port of the PS3 game which was a remake of the PSP games
Has this been confirmed somewhere or do you just base it on the fact that they showed Wipeoud HD running on NGP as a kind of tech demo of what it's capable of?

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Uncharted must be a launch game for the PSP2 to really sell well at launch. And full PS Network support at launch with trophy support. The 3DS does not even have all the features available yet.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="AaronSOLDIER, post: 5486994]So what big significant differences between WipEout games is there?[/QUOTE]
Other than the handling being vastly different between the games, new gameplay features being added, tweaks to existing ones, new tracks, new weapons, new game modes... Yeah, nothing at all has changed. :roll: Even Wipeout HD, which is the only Wipeout that could ever be even considered to be classified as "more of the same" (since it offers HDfied Pure & Pulse tracks), offers enough all kinds of new **** & refinements that it feels like a whole new game and not just a simple HD upgrade.

And stop starting off sentencing with yeah, no and ****.
Yeah, no. I'll stop beginning my sentences like this once you and people like you stop making claims that have absolutely no basis in reality.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
If you want to be an ignorant fool, be my guest. But you obviously know nothing of the series or most other racing games when you sprout such nonsense-BS.

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
Games of course but Must haves.
I will but at launch if it has either of these.
1.Uncharted.
2.Killzone.
3.FF7.
4.Crash bandicoot.
5.Little Big Planet.
6.Metal gear solid.
Either of these and you have my my money, Sony.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
Crash Bandicoot, MGS & FFVII will be there @ launch but only as PS1 Classics, since they are already available at the PS Store. And I doubt any of them will ever get any remakes on NGP.

I guess Uncharted might be a launch title, since the build they showed seemed like it could be quite far along in development. Very much doubt Killzone NGP will be. It'll probably be released within a year from NGP's launch, but not too close to release.