What do YOU want to see from PS3 peripherals? (M, KB, BTHS, etc.)

Sep 5, 2006
I like the idea that we can use third party products with the PS3, but hardly any of them are "PS3-centric". Logitechs new mediaboard looks to be a step in the right direction, but there's much more than can be added to that idea I think. Here's what I'd like to see from certain peripherals:

Keyboard: I think a Keyboard should be thin and small like the Mediaboard, but along the top should have icons for every single XMB icon on the PS3, for quick access to any of it's functions. The keep it in line with the PS3, they should be touch sensitive surfaces like the power and disc drive. You could either touch any icon or swipe your finger across to cycle through them. I like that the new mediaboard has buttons that correspond to the face buttons on the PS3. Any PS3 Keyboard should have things like this as standard IMO. A power and eject function would be nice also, with maybe around 4 extra keys that can have whatever function the user desires. A touchpad doesn't hurt, but I could live without. Perferably bluetooth as well.

Mouse: The FragFX has the right idea if you ask me. A completely PS3 centric mouse, with the face buttons as thumb buttons and the right shoulder buttons above and below the scroll wheel(a PS3 mouse should still have a scroll wheel for XMB, menu, and webpage navigation though). I'd like to see a mouse with styling similar to that of Logitech's MX and G series mice though, as I think they're a very comfortable design. Of course, I think it should be a laser mouse for optimal precision, and complete with sensitivity tweaking as well.

I think the best way to implement things like this is if Sony were to make their own first party products as such and have a firmware update that would optimize the PS3(including games) to be completely compatible with things like this and any other possible gear they would produce.

What do you all think? There's many more things, like eyetoy, Headsets, USB devices, and more, so what other kinds of peripherals would you like to see added to the PS3?

Do you think Sony should produce optimized PS3 editions of said peripherals, while of course leaving room for any generic products?

Tyrien

I'm a real boy!
Jul 8, 2007
[QUOTE="steaky, post: 0]Having that sync with certain movies, would be sweet. :p[/quote]
To be honest I'd rather have it sync with something like Resistance, Devil May Cry or Zone of the Enders.

Y'know, those games you can almost dance while killing, and make lost of noise doing so. =)

voom99

Superior Member
Apr 22, 2007
Definitely a FragFX controller - but one that WORKS this time lol.....

.....and also a Wiimote to play the likes of Virtua Tennis. I want a high definition experience with decent motion sensing that involves physicality. Standing up and hitting back! Seems like the Sixaxis motion is still just designed to waggle from the couch. I like the idea of getting up and getting physical with my games - only without jaggy eyesores and with a proper resolution.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="voom99, post: 0]Definitely a FragFX controller - but one that WORKS this time lol.....

.....and also a Wiimote to play the likes of Virtua Tennis. I want a high definition experience with decent motion sensing that involves physicality. Standing up and hitting back! Seems like the Sixaxis motion is still just designed to waggle from the couch. I like the idea of getting up and getting physical with my games - only without jaggy eyesores and with a proper resolution.[/QUOTE]
I've never used it, but what's wrong with the FragFX by the way? Looks like they have the right idea to me. I think Sony should release a proprietary device like that, just update the firmware so it works completely as intended.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="eclipticrider, post: 0]i say yes, because I hate 3rd party peripherals... but for the HDMI cable, I'd much rather get a cheap one from www.monoprice.com HDMI is HDMI... and they have killer prices[/QUOTE]
True, but I think a good alternative to this HDMI business is to start packing an HDMI cable with their higher end SKU if they continue to have a pair of units out there.

Nov 28, 2006
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 1950981]True, but I think a good alternative to this HDMI business is to start packing an HDMI cable with their higher end SKU if they continue to have a pair of units out there.[/quote]

Should they, yea, they should!... but it sure didn't hurt me too much to order one from monoprice. yea, I didn't get to get the full use from my ps3 (1080p) for about a week... well my point being is that shouldn't stop people from buying a ps3...

voom99

Superior Member
Apr 22, 2007
[QUOTE="Lord Arklon, post: 0]I've never used it, but what's wrong with the FragFX by the way?[/QUOTE]

There's heaps of threads on the FragFX by users on here, just use the Search function to read what they have to say. The main problem apparently is to do with the aiming, it's all over the place. The sensitivity is all f***ed up. Nowhere near the same stability as a pc mouse.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="eclipticrider, post: 0]Should they, yea, they should!... but it sure didn't hurt me too much to order one from monoprice. yea, I didn't get to get the full use from my ps3 (1080p) for about a week... well my point being is that shouldn't stop people from buying a ps3...[/QUOTE]
True enough. I have to admit though, I played mine for about a month on my SDTV until I saw my buddy's 42"...then I had to have one :( = my wallet, but :D = me afterwards.

Jared

Apprentice
Nov 13, 2006
I'm perfectly fine with a keyboard and mouse. If there would be any way to play FPS on a PS3 with said set-up, I'd die a happy man.

Jul 9, 2007
My thoughts are Sony is doing this system slightly different. Quite a few of the accessories that can be used with the PS3 are already owned by users - so I don't have to buy anything new. Yeah, first party accessories are nice and usually the better selection in most cases (we all remember the horrors of 3rd party memory cards losing folks save games). Personally I am looking forward to the Logitech Bluetooth Mediaboard Pro.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="ttate90303, post: 0]My thoughts are Sony is doing this system slightly different. Quite a few of the accessories that can be used with the PS3 are already owned by users - so I don't have to buy anything new. Yeah, first party accessories are nice and usually the better selection in most cases (we all remember the horrors of 3rd party memory cards losing folks save games). Personally I am looking forward to the Logitech Bluetooth Mediaboard Pro.[/QUOTE]
A few maybe...but I think it's fair to say, especially after playing Resistance for the first few months, that not many people have headsets. This would be a good thing to start bundling with the console if you ask me, and a first party bluetooth model optimized for the PS3.

Organic_Shadow

Pots n' Pans Robot
May 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
The massive 360 accessories area at BB and Gamestop is enough reason. The branding, marketing, and selection of products to support the console make consumers feel comfortable and like their console they want to purchase will offer them a lot of accessibility and extend through strong first-party peripherals.

Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Organic_Shadow, post: 0]The massive 360 accessories area at BB and Gamestop is enough reason. The branding, marketing, and selection of products to support the console make consumers feel comfortable and like their console they want to purchase will offer them a lot of accessibility and extend through strong first-party peripherals.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. It's much easier to shop around when the items and devices you need are right there next to your game selection. Of course, specialty shoppers probably prefer the third party stuff, as they know where to get it, but if Sony included first party support that wouldn't negate what 3rd parties have done, then both sides could be just as happy.

If home takes off when I expect it to, I could see a surge in sales of such items, which would probably spark Sony's interest more than anything else.

Jurdix

Apprentice
Sep 16, 2007
zerocubed.net
[QUOTE="amejicano, post: 0]PLEASE a BT steering wheel.[/quote]

Ooo, yes please a BT steering wheel before or at the time that GT Prologue is released would be great! Can't wait to get out my custom built driving cockpit thing again.