What happened to Tennis??

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
What happened to Tennis games? They where pretty big on PS3 & mostly released yearly, Top Spin, Virtua Tennis, Grandslam Tennis! I mean last gen had it all with sports games! Now this gen has no match.

No tennis, no snooker, ect

XperienZ

Apprentice
Aug 1, 2007
Wales, UK
I imagine they're too niche to be a priority right now... The small indies all want to do something fresh and the big guys only care about the bottom line. Maybe they just all think you want to play tennis with Mario these days with motion controls.

Having said that I only ever bought one snooker game and HATED how I was so crap at it I spent more time watching the game playing itself so I took it back.

Beefi

Apprentice
Feb 25, 2015
[QUOTE="XperienZ, post: 6500320]I imagine they're too niche to be a priority right now... The small indies all want to do something fresh and the big guys only care about the bottom line. Maybe they just all think you want to play tennis with Mario these days with motion controls.
[/QUOTE]

So it is. I liked the Virtua Tennis Parts on PS3.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Would actually quite enjoy a new tennis game, would have to have a proper career mode for me though! Starting off as a amature and working your way up the ranks in all the major competitions etc

Guess we shall just have to wait

Oct 20, 2015
Tri-State Area
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6500401]Was watching the Djokovic/Simon match on the weekend I was thinking aren't we due a new tennis game. I used to love Virtua tennis.[/QUOTE]

Virtua Tennis was a really fun game, although I only played the early Dreamcast versions, not any of the others. The big problem is that there just aren't as many games out there any more. And so many developers concentrate on these big, "blockbuster" games. There is some evidence out there that this is all starting to change, but it's still a bummer for gamers...

nextgen3

Super Elite
May 15, 2006
Wales, UK
Loved top spin, but Virtua Tennis was also good! Never bought EA version of GST, I feel some sports are well missing this gen!! Tennis, snooker, boxing, skateboarding (new THPS was crap & broken) are we getting winter Olympics games!? Probably not!! But also PDC darts has gone off the cliff after 3 games the developers shut down!

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I know at one point I had Pete Sampras tennis game on PS1 back then the surfaces didn't handle any different, it was just a different colour at least that's what I remember thinking.