"What if" Ads (*56k WARNING)

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
We've all seen 'em. Those PS3 "white room" ads. Whether it be the crazy floating baby, or the banged up Motorstorm truck, we all that the "white room" has become Sony's PS3 ad campaign.

Now what about we Photoshop our own ads. It could be for a game that will never come out for the PS3, or a new feature that'll be added much later in the PS3's lifetime. The goal is to make it as convincing as possible.

I've included a template "white room" picture to begin the fun."

--UPDATE 6.13.07--
I added another template for even more ideas. There are two version- one blank, and one with full text and logos. I've also included the .psd file for this one for those who want to mess around with the logos and such.

PSD
File:
http://rapidshare.com/files/37062580/PS3AD.rar

And here's an example of one I did.

Remember, the goal is to make it look as convincing as possible.

(Note: The above image does not reflect my opinions about Halo 3 or if Halo 3 should /will be on the PS3- I just thought it would look cool.)

(Note2: The official Playstation 3 font is called Mata-Bold for those who are wondering.)
There is also this font (thanks to Mystikal)
http://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=...=playstation+3&nb_ppp=10&psize=m&classt=alpha

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="Mystikal, post: 0]That's some wicked Photoshopping man. The only problem you got is the lighting on the bricks is wrong but apart from that it's awesome!

Btw, here is the Playstation 3/Spiderman font for you all if you wish to use it :

http://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=spiderman+font&nb_ppp_old=10&page=1&text=MYSTIKAL[/quote]

Thanks for posting the link to the font.

And I had no idea what to do with the bricks because I don't know if I should use more of the fluorescent lighting or use more of the outside sunlight. It also really bothered me that the source reference for the bricks was an extremely dark picture.

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="XxBigP123xX, post: 0]wow that's really good! you should post it everywhere and say "halo 3 ps3 coming 2008"[/quote]
Lol. I'm sure it'll fool tons of people, and probably posted all over websites claiming it to be true...

[QUOTE="PXG 360, post: 0]I might make one later. Looks really cool.[/quote]
Cool. Looking foward to what other people come up with.

OMG!!!11!
Super Smash Brothers on the PS3!?

Heh, only in our dreams...

Z

Zetsumei

Very nice job Cruzader, kinda makes me want to try it out... Maybe tomorrow... I'm too tired now.

Edit: Nice shadows on Smash brothers, mind giving me a hint on what you did? I'm fairly new to Photoshop, but either way I kind think I know what you did but not really sure... :0

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="Zetsumei, post: 0]Very nice job Cruzader, kinda makes me want to try it out... Maybe tomorrow... I'm too tired now.

Edit: Nice shadows on Smash brothers, mind giving me a hint on what you did? I'm fairly new to Photoshop, but either way I kind think I know what you did but not really sure... :0[/quote]

The making of the shadows are fairly easy(see below).
To make them look realistic, in terms of how they are shaped in the surroundings, is the hard part. You need some knowledge about perspective, and lighting in perspective. Even I neglected some of the true "shadow rules" in drawing since it would just take me forever to do...

Here's a step by step to make shadows. I'll make a picture tutorial when I get the time.

1) Duplicate the layer of the image that needs the shadow. Example: If Mario needs a shadow, duplicate that layer.

2) Send that duplicate layer underneath the original.

3) Free transform(ctrl+t) the layer to the appropriate shape. (This is where some knowledge about lighting in perspective comes in unfortunately...)

4) Apply a color overlay by right clicking the layer and going to "blending options" (or layer>layer style). In the "color overlay" tab, add a dark gray over lay to the distorted image layer. By now, it should look like a very basic shadow.

5) Adjust the layer opacity. There is no set number for this step, since it must be decided on how strong or weak the lighting is.

6)Apply a gaussian blur. It is located in filters>blur>gaussian blur. Use a setting of .5 to 1. Don't worry if the shadow still looks to have sharp edges.

7) Apply the same gaussian blur until you are satisfied. (ctrl+f) is the default shortcut to apply the last executed filter. I find it to look more realistic to
use a small gaussian blur added over and over instead of a large blur right away. I do this because it blurs my previous blur, adding to the faded effect.

8 ) Depending on the lighting, you may need to fade your shadow. Simply use a round eraser with a soft edge
with the opacity at 20%-40% (or if you know how to use layer masks, use that instead since it is non-destructive)

You should now have a very convincing shadow..

Mallanaga

Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2006
what am i, chopped liver? anyway... very nice tutorial. i know a bit about perspective... your technique is pretty easy too... glad you thought of it :)

i'll have some up soon. gotta get the creative juices pumping.

XxBigP123xX said:
and it's....Jak 4!!!
dude... a roman numeral 4 is IV. unless you were going the 1111, cross, method. /shrug. anyway...

Mar 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Mallanaga, post: 0]what am i, chopped liver? anyway... very nice tutorial. i know a bit about perspective... your technique is pretty easy too... glad you thought of it :)

i'll have some up soon. gotta get the creative juices pumping.

dude... a roman numeral 4 is IV. unless you were going the 1111, cross, method. /shrug. anyway...[/quote]
i know but i didnt feel like going into much detail for it

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="MiNiMaL_sAnItY, post: 0]
i know homer looks a bit too big, but meh.[/quote]

I like it.

You have to think about the height of the back wall. Usually, a room is about 10-12ft high, with this room a little smaller (judging on how big the PS3 is compared to the adjacent wall). So, if anything, Homer should be bigger.

And, I'll try to make a picture tutorial for shadows tomorrow.

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0]My attempt:

The Console King.

It's a bit of a rush job, mostly because i couldn't find high enough quality images of the lion king.[/quote]

"It's the circleeeeeee offffffff liiiiiiiffffffe!"

My attempt at an interesting MGS4 picture. Tried to pull of the octocamo, but there ain't much texture to camouflage against in a blank white room...

(Sorry guys n' gals, I'll re-size my pictures from now on. I just realized that mine are a lil' big.)

Mar 14, 2007
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 0]My attempt:

The Console King.

It's a bit of a rush job, mostly because i couldn't find high enough quality images of the lion king.[/quote]
lmao i think it came out good

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="XxBigP123xX, post: 0]oh...it's not a wii exclusive anymore
[/quote]

Heh. But your shadow doesn't make sense. The light is coming from above and there's no light source in front of Samus.

Apr 1, 2007
This is my quick attempt. I would have stuck the evil fellow a bit further back but his feet were chopped off so I cheated and stuck him at the front.

Goodfella

Super Elite
Jan 4, 2007
The Halo one was pretty damn good. But some other ones are just....meh.

The game used needs to have some elements in the white room i.e. (broken wall, tire marks, cracked floor, rubble with a Chimera skull on top.)

I'm no expert either just criticizing.

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
[QUOTE="Goodfella, post: 0]The Halo one was pretty damn good. But some other ones are just....meh.

The game used needs to have some elements in the white room i.e. (broken wall, tire marks, cracked floor, rubble with a Chimera skull on top.)

I'm no expert either just criticizing.[/quote]

Easier said than done. But, I know what you mean. Without extra content in the room, it just looks, well....like a plain white room.

Dec 25, 2005
[QUOTE="Goodfella, post: 0]The Halo one was pretty damn good. But some other ones are just....meh.

I'm no expert either just criticizing.[/QUOTE]

Im working on something complex like that, but Mr. cruzader has experiewnce in manipulations it seems, but most of us poor folk dont. So, please bear with us for the inconvenience. :)