What is 3G and is it worth $50 extra?

May 5, 2011
USA
What does the term "3G" mean and is it worth paying $50 extra bucks for a Wifi and 3G PS Vita?

I have a 3G phone, a blackberry. Is 3G what I use to access the internet when not using wifi? Or is that my data thingy?

I have a contract with AT&T, so it wouldn't be a problem to use the 3G on the PS Vita.

I am considering getting the $300 3G and wifi PS Vita, but first I need to understand the 3G concept better.

Can someone explain it to me better?

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
3G = "third generation" basically. It's basically mobile broadband.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/technology/3g-umts.jsp

As we don't even know the full feature set that will be able to access 3g on the Vita, right now I'd say it's not worth it. Rumor is that it will be only for social networking features of the Vita. No downloading games, and no online play via 3g. We don't even know the cost of the plan, or how much data allowance you're going to get with that plan. Knowing AT&T, it's going to be a high charge, for little data.

btbam

Super Elite
Jan 28, 2011
The Moor
3G is a buzz word. It doesn't describe anything in particular, just a fancy title to make a product sound sophisticated. It has an actually application when classifying generations, but "3G or 4G" speeds are all bullshit

Vulgotha

Power Member
Jan 6, 2007
From my understanding that isn't true, BTB. At least in theory anyway..

http://manofthehouse.com/gadgets/phones/3g-vs-4g-wireless-networks

Part of my education has to do with networks and various Internet technologies. 4G is quite fast, even compared to home speeds theoretically.

More here:
http://www.diffen.com/difference/3G_vs_4G

It really depends on your service provider though, and where you're at.

Excellent video on this topic I was trying to dig up:
[video=youtube;mv9z_L3RQp4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv9z_L3RQp4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

In general though, you're right in that labeling something "4G" is marketing hype. It's meant to excite the consumer, but honestly with some of this technology there is something to be excited about! Providing they really push it, anyway...

Last edited:

Rtc

Jun 14, 2011
Ga
[QUOTE="mickice, post: 5667853]Do we know if the wifi version has GPS? Or is it limited to the 3G model.[/QUOTE]

It does not have gps in wifi can't remember where I saw or heard it but it doesn't

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
According to the wiki, the GPS is only present in the 3g version.
The device also features a rear touch pad, a front camera, a rear camera, stereo speakers, microphone, Sixaxis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), three-axis electronic compass, built-in GPS (only for the 3G version)
However, Amazon lists it as such:
  • Network connectivity via improved Wi-Fi capabilities (Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity available in an additional Vita model)
  • Location based gaming allowing players to find and meet friends virtually for brand new experiences
So, we really don't know yet. Sony's website doesn't distinguish between the two models in regards to GPS capabilities.

Wi-Fi location service support

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/tech-specs/

Further blurring the lines lol:

http://www.vitahq.com/Sony-PS-Vita-WiFi-1.html

Technical Specifications
• CPU - ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)
• GPU - SGX543MP4+
• External Dimensions - Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
• Touch Screen - 5-inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
• Rear Touch Pad - Multi-touch pad (capacitive type)
• Cameras - Front camera, rear camera
• Game Media/Storage - New dedicated flash-based game medium; dual slots, one for the new game medium, the other is for storage media to be utilized for personal content and download content
• Sound
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Built-in microphone
• Sensors - Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), three-axis electronic compass
- Wi-Fi location service support
• Keys / Switches
- PS button
- Power button
- Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
- Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
- Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
- Right stick, Left stick
- START button, SELECT button
- Volume buttons (+/-)
• Wireless communications
- Mobile network connectivity (3G)
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
- Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)
• Battery - Internal/embedded (not removable)

Last edited:

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
Plus all smartphones today have some hotspot feature, which means you can have internet on the go anyway.

Jun 20, 2011
I will also just get the wifi version. at home I can use my router to connect the vita, for updates and stuff.
on the go, I can use a hotspot . I don't play online on portables and will not purchase a plan either, so wifi is plenty good for me.

hood

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2005
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5667882]As well as the cost of the monthly data plan...[/QUOTE]

are you sure about there being a data plan i saw something in home the other day in the TGS theater showing something which seemed to be prepaid cards that give you a certain amount of hrs to use 3g. The cards had varying speeds as well something like 50 75 100 hr cards I'm not 100% on that.

@ the OP
I guess 3g would depend on where you live I know based on my location that 3g would be a waste. If someone already owns a smart phone i wouldn't advise getting the 3g.

Rtc

Jun 14, 2011
Ga
[QUOTE="hood, post: 5668531]are you sure about there being a data plan i saw something in home the other day in the TGS theater showing something which seemed to be prepaid cards that give you a certain amount of hrs to use 3g. The cards had varying speeds as well something like 50 75 100 hr cards I'm not 100% on that.

@ the OP
I guess 3g would depend on where you live I know based on my location that 3g would be a waste. If someone already owns a smart phone i wouldn't advise getting the 3g.[/QUOTE]

In Japan it's going by hours in the US I'm sure it's gonna be 25$ for 2gb

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="hood, post: 5668531]are you sure about there being a data plan i saw something in home the other day in the TGS theater showing something which seemed to be prepaid cards that give you a certain amount of hrs to use 3g. The cards had varying speeds as well something like 50 75 100 hr cards I'm not 100% on that.

@ the OP
I guess 3g would depend on where you live I know based on my location that 3g would be a waste. If someone already owns a smart phone i wouldn't advise getting the 3g.[/QUOTE]
That's for Japan... The US will be using a data plan.
[QUOTE="Rtc, post: 5668595]In Japan it's going by hours in the US I'm sure it's gonna be 25$ for 2gb[/QUOTE]
More like $30 for 2GB.

I'd like a show of hands, who would actually pay a monthly fee for a data plan on Vita?

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5668600]That's for Japan... The US will be using a data plan.

More like $30 for 2GB.

I'd like a show of hands, who would actually pay a monthly fee for a data plan on Vita?[/QUOTE]

I'll raise my hand but it won't be to show agreement with the data plan but to convey a meaning without words :snicker
On topic just go with the 250$ and buy a game with the other 50$ :)

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5668765]cant you just like.. hook it up to your phone and use its 3G connection that way? cant be much more, can it?[/QUOTE]
Doubt you'll be able to tether with a stock PSV. However, you can use your wireless hotspot capabilities and use it like that.

May 5, 2011
USA
[QUOTE="Silver_Knight, post: 5668606]
On topic just go with the 250$ and buy a game with the other 50$ :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was already leaning toward the $250 wifi only version. I just wanted to know about all my options, that's all. :)

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
[QUOTE="The Black Wolf, post: 5669068]Yeah, I was already leaning toward the $250 wifi only version. I just wanted to know about all my options, that's all. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it would be the best and you can get a game of your choice.
I'm hoping they have atleast two colors at launch. :)

Rtc

Jun 14, 2011
Ga
[QUOTE="Beast of Bourbon, post: 5669144]Just out of curiosity, what do you need GPS for? Most smartphones got it anyway?!

@no i'd never pay for a dataplan just for the vita.[/QUOTE]

The gps is targeting the near app and more to come I'm sure

jlippone

Forum Guru
Dec 2, 2004
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5668765]cant you just like.. hook it up to your phone and use its 3G connection that way? cant be much more, can it?[/QUOTE]
If your phone can act as a wifi hotspot this should be possible.
Although Vita would see the connection as wifi connection and not as 3G.

Boboulus

Apprentice
Feb 15, 2006
Stockholm
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 5668600]That's for Japan... The US will be using a data plan.

More like $30 for 2GB.

I'd like a show of hands, who would actually pay a monthly fee for a data plan on Vita?[/QUOTE]

Don't you have prepaid sim-card in the US? We do in sweden so it will be very cheap.