What kind of music did you grow up with as a child?

Jul 15, 2015
Los Angeles
As inquired above what type of music did you grow up with as a child? Someone could have influenced your taste in music if not what kind of music did you discover and how?

As a child my mother influenced my taste in music ranging from Classic Rock, Psychedelic and some romantic Spanish songs, not fond of Mexican music though. It all started when she put on a CD of The Doors, I was intrigued by Jim Morrison's shrieking vocals and the bands bluesy, psychedelic vibe from that moment I was instantly hooked, I'll never forget the day I first heard 'Break on Through' I was in a trance from such masterpiece, from there I was introduced to The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Queen, Chicago etc... As I started to come of age I slowly progressed into Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Thrash Metal etc... At some point I was strictly into Metal, but I started to get bored of it and expanded my taste in music a bit more ranging from Alternative Rock, Indie Rock, Shoegaze, New wave, Synthpop, Rockabilly, Doo Wop etc...

I don't label myself, I know many people would say 'why must you be so specific with your taste of music' that's just who I am, to each his own.

Would be cool to know other peoples taste in music perhaps I could be inspired.

Please let me know if this thread has been made before, would be nice to reminisce the music we listened to back in our salad days.

Sent from Umbrella Headquarters

Last edited:

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Prince, Madonna, Beatles, Eurythmics, Cat Stevens, Jimmy Henderix...a lot of 80s music. Still k appreciate most of those artists.

Sent from my GT-I9000

HellsJester

Master Sage
Aug 22, 2006
Alone in the Cold
Wasnt too much into music before high school but i always did love intro songs to tv shows and my earliest memory of music is getting in trouble in preschool for randomly singing the Ducktales theme song out loud and horribly.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
Started with Queen as my mother was a massive fan, but as I got older I started listening to the Prodigy, Offspring and music along those lines! But my favorite artist as I was growing up was always Micheal Jackson, had all his albums and used to love singing along to all his records, if I'm honest I still do today!

Sekhmet

Superior Member
Apr 12, 2015
Gotham.
I grew up with Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Aerosmith, Queen and Sash mostly. Now I love anything apart from heavy metal (Iron maiden etc)

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6466521]Started with Queen as my mother was a massive fan, but as I got older I started listening to the Prodigy, Offspring and music along those lines! But my favorite artist as I was growing up was always Micheal Jackson, had all his albums and used to love singing along to all his records, if I'm honest I still do today![/QUOTE]

You and me both, I love him. I went to my girlfriends cousin wedding back in April and I absolutely killed the dance floor :lol: I can't ever look her dad in the eye since though as he always plays Michael Jackson whenever I go down and see them now :snicker

Other than MJ I was brought up on quite a diverse range of music though the most that had the most influence on me as a person would be Jungle/Drum and Bass. I've always loved it from a young age and my Dad used to play Jungle on a pirate radio station in Bristol back when I was a kid. That stuck with me and I've been a Junglist ever since

Other than that I'm a bit of a hip-hop head.

Doesn't stop me liking most forms of music though. Anything from Slipkont to Andre Bocelli and everything in the middle.

Jul 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Great music you guys! Ahh yea can't go wrong with Michael Jackson, good to know we have some similarities, as a kid my brother would chastise me along with my mother, but I knew it was for my own good, I would always listen to music to vent out afterwards, I reside in the outskirts of Compton where it's quite placid under the reputation that city has, many bad influences, but I've had the luxury to decline being engaged in nefarious actions, and I'm not a delinquent. Music was always there for me as Jim would say 'Music is your special friend dance of fire as it intends' was never really fond of watching Television.

Sent from Umbrella Headquarters

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Grew up with the 90's music we all know today, so nothing special. I don't have favorite artists or such, for me if I enjoy a song/if I think a song's good, it's good.

Though, around the age of 8 I quickly became aware of other genres (Hardcore, specifically) and I got stuck to it for quite a while. Eventually I came across Jumpstyle which luckily didn't last long because that's something I'm ashamed of and after that Hardstyle came up, which was good for a few years! Started to turn to shite the last few years though, so since 2008 I've also listened to Drum&Bass/Dubstep, which definitely has caught my love. Eventually I also started listening more and more to House music and its many subgenres.. Which is where I'm currently sort of stuck at! ;)

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
I used to have this old cassette tape I would play over and over again. Think it was called "88 the winners". Otherwise when I was in school it was a lot of Nirvana and Blink182

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
I mainly listened to stuff that would play on the radio, MTV, and BET back when those channels were more music focused. I took a liking to Sum 41, old Linkin' Park, 2Pac, DMX, Ludacris, Chamillionaire, Ying Yang Twins, T.I., Eminem, Destiny's Child, Aaliyah, Missy Elliot, Eve, and more.