What makes a person start smoking?

Versus

Dedicated Member
Mar 6, 2007
Texas
I've always wondered this since I was a child. I mean we all know it's horrible for you, but what makes a person start to do it in the first place? I sorta think that people start it to be cool when there young and that get addicted to the habbit so they just continue to do it as they get older and then get sooooo addicted that they can't stop... But that's just one of my theories.

Somebody help me figure this out. :confused:

LfCpS3

Master Poster
May 22, 2009
Peer pressure

Something to relief depression or pain( maybe)

To act cool

Feel like a outcast, so they smoke

All i can think of.

spyrde

Master Guru
Feb 18, 2009
Finland
Yeah, peer pressure is pretty high up in the list. It also relieves stress so it gives you a couple minute break from it. I'm just repeating what the two guys before me just posted.

bash

Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Ontario Canada
[QUOTE="DreDayDetox, post: 5731854]Mostly stress. All those reasons are for teens in high school.[/QUOTE]

Weed + vaporizer (or just normal weed) > cigarettes for stress.

May 5, 2011
USA
My brother started smoking back in high school and he did it because of peer pressure. He came out of the marines and went right back to smoking. I will never understand it.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
All of the above. I tried and it was ok. I know that sounds weird but I didn't love it or hate it. I don't smoke though it's terrible stuff to get addicted to.

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
Ultimately, it all boils down to one simple cause. People who smoke and continue to do so are weak willed. Everything else is a symptom of a weak willed individual. If you smoke, you're weak willed.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Morganator, post: 5732016]Ultimately, it all boils down to one simple cause. People who smoke and continue to do so are weak willed. Everything else is a symptom of a weak willed individual. If you smoke, you're weak willed.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but then again, people make mistakes when they're young. And companies take advantage of that to fill their pockets with as much money as they can.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
I never started smoking cigarets even tho all my friends did.

Seeing how im from Iran i instead picked up on the Shisha/hokaah/Argila/waterpipe and smoked it causually with friend then and then :p

but now sadly after a few years of smoking hoookah i do it atleast twice a week :p not so good

bariton1

Superior Member
Oct 20, 2006
Berlin
I started in the army to smoke for some easy reason: All smokers got an extra rest. Even if it was just for 5min. you could use the time to chill and smoke. Bad behavior cause now i smoke over 10 years and i hate it but can´t quit cause it´s to late. Try it many times but always failed :(

Versus

Dedicated Member
Mar 6, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="bariton1, post: 5732092]I started in the army to smoke for some easy reason: All smokers got an extra rest. Even if it was just for 5min. you could use the time to chill and smoke. Bad behavior cause now i smoke over 10 years and i hate it but can´t quit cause it´s to late. Try it many times but always failed :([/QUOTE]

But, but you gotta quit man! :O

Tven

Superior Member
Nov 21, 2007
I personally think smoking is a disgusting habit, but i have many friends that smoke and i dont think any less of them.

Back in my high school days i could see others start smoking due to peer pressure

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Blacksite, post: 5732074]Yeah, but then again, people make mistakes when they're young. And companies take advantage of that to fill their pockets with as much money as they can.[/QUOTE]

Fair point though I think it's one of those things that's easily avoidable. Just my opinion on the whole matter.

Aldebaran

Could it be...I am sleeping?
Mar 24, 2009
NYC
Most of the time people start smoking after they undergone depression or a shocking experience of some kind. Like breakups, deaths, failure school/business..etc.

I personally stopped smoking cigarettes, but enjoying the occasional Hookah (which is a daily thing to me.)
At least Hookah wouldn't get me bad breath/black gum, lips or teeth.

[QUOTE="IranDennis, post: 5732083]I never started smoking cigarets even tho all my friends did.

Seeing how im from Iran i instead picked up on the Shisha/hokaah/Argila/waterpipe and smoked it causually with friend then and then :p

but now sadly after a few years of smoking hoookah i do it atleast twice a week :p not so good[/QUOTE]

I do it almost every F***** day! So don't feel bad for twice a week. lol

-Shafty-

overstepping the mark
Sep 7, 2007
[QUOTE="Eltimas, post: 5732607]

At least Hookah wouldn't get me bad breath/black gum, lips or teeth. [/QUOTE]
No, but smoking cock will do :snicker

XMW

Super Elite
Jun 22, 2008
Alot of people in my class smoke, I'm one of very few who doesn't smoke. Most just do it to "fit in" or be cool. Personally I find smoking digusting, sitting next to someone who smokes regularly is something I hate too, regular smokers have this nicotine smell around them.

Aldebaran

Mar 24, 2009
NYC
[QUOTE="T0PGUN, post: 5732610]No, but smoking cock will do :snicker[/QUOTE]

You clearly are the professional there. For me, whenever I want to eat fish, I'd lick a vajaina.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
Usually as everyone said peer pressure and just being around it a lot can do it to, no pressure at all. I'm actually smoking as I type this. I really need to quit. For health and financial reasons.

Versus

Dedicated Member
Mar 6, 2007
Texas
[QUOTE="T0PGUN, post: 5732610]No, but smoking cock will do :snicker[/QUOTE]

Your 37 years old and you still make those immature jokes? Grow up man, get that crap outta my topic.

btbam

Super Elite
Jan 28, 2011
The Moor
Well lets see here. I only smoke cigars and i only smoke cigars a couple times a month. Uusally when i'm drinking beer, a nice microbrew either brown ale or a stout. The taste of the cigar can completly change the palette of the beer. Its really quite relaxing to just kick off my shoes, sit on my back deck with the roomates shooting the breeze and smoke a nice monte cristo or romeo y julietta with a locally brewed beer. I know its not for everone, but there is nothing better after a brutal day at work sometimes. Its recreational in my case because we sit there and dick around getting drunk and what not. P.S. if you've never lit a bottle rocket with a cigar on 4th of july...i recomend it.

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
Because I get drunk and it seems like a good idea at the time.I have never felt the need to go back though, like addiction. I can smoke whenever I want but I have never wanted more

Minnzy

Super Elite
Sep 8, 2006
I never understood any excuse, peer pressure had no meaning to me "Hey man you should try this" would usually get a response from me similiar to "Hey man, you should try this" *Sticks finger up* <<< I swear that was a really good response as a teenager, some of my mates were persistent though but I'd happily throw their arguments away. I did what I wanted to do and I didn't want to smoke any substance so I simply did not. I have never so much as tried to smoke any substance, inject or snort either and I have not even the slightest desire to do so... drinking however I wanted to do so I happily do it! :D

[QUOTE="Versus, post: 5732814]Your 37 years old and you still make those immature jokes? Grow up man, get that crap outta my topic.[/QUOTE]

Maturity isn't never making silly jokes, it's about knowing when to be serious whenever it's required, I don't think it's really required in this thread. Preferred maybe but not required, being silly in no way shows someones maturity level when it's not required.

Last edited:

Aldebaran

Mar 24, 2009
NYC
[QUOTE="Versus, post: 5732814]Your 37 years old and you still make those immature jokes? Grow up man, get that crap outta my topic.[/QUOTE]
No need to make big deal out of a small joke that was toward someone who clearly was fine with it. Not starting an argument here. Only asking for a little leniency.