What names do you find unpleasing to the ear?

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/ohXn8WKpYaA[/embed]

Ah...My inspiration. :p

Nah, but seriously, what names sound unpleasant to you and why?

Here's what this thread is not attempting to be:
  • Criticism of parents who give their kids "unique" names. Dislike the unique names themselves all you want, but this can degenerate into a whole 'nother debate. Let's strictly stick to names, not name givers.
  • Those of us who have names that get listed spazzing out...this is just about names themselves, not the people behind the names8) I'd be willing to bet that whoever picks your name doesn't know you and didn't list it just to spite you.
  • Let's stick to not chastising one another for our reasons. This is purely, 100% subjective here, there are no rules or principles governing how we personally perceive the way something sounds. Discuss reasons, sure, but let's not get heated about this.
Anyway, for me, I've never been too fond of Gertrude, Mabel, and a few "H" names...Howard, Harold, and Herman. Stanley never really did it for me either.

Gertrude to me sounds like a type of nauseating condiment, as if it were some sort of mayonnaise off-shoot. Mabel...sounds like a stuffed animal of some sort.

The "H" names and Stanley simply don't roll off the tongue for me. Simple, I know, but hey...

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Tyrien, post: 0]I've never really been bothered by names like that.[/QUOTE]
Sure, not saying they bother me, just don't like the way they sound is all I meant.

It's similar to some people with certain words, in this case used euphemistically.

Some people have an aversion to words like "die", "dead", "death", etc. and instead will say "pass(ed) away", "lost", "expired" and so forth because they don't like the way the former words sound.

Just preferentially is what I mean, not related to disturbance per se, but I suppose that applies.

Lord Arklon

Forum Elder
Sep 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Behemoko, post: 0]There are many names like that for me.

Weak names if you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean, I just don't know what you mean, know what I mean?

List 'em.

Dec 3, 2006
Two that come mind are Alan and David. Seems all of the people I know named Alan and David (IRL) are douchebags.

And can this be all encompassing? If so, pretty much all "black" names. It's hard to say this without sounding racist but names like LaShonda bother me. I know you're trying to make your kid's name unique but think of all of the stress they have to endure telling people how to spell and pronounce their name every single GD time. That being said, Tyrone is a badass name.

Oh, and I can't forget the parents who give their kids stripper names. Candy and Cinnamon are foods, not names! You've practically set up your kid for failure if you give them those names.

Idenowhereiam

Bandw!dth Savior
Oct 26, 2006
In Miami, man <3
0o0o0o yeah i agree with you on not liking the ignorant names..

No offense to anyone but you gotta realize what your setting your kid up for with some of these names.. whats worse is the people who spell any way they want.. my old bosses name was sophia.. but spell safiyyah.. come on now...

Claimed "the A was silent so it was still pronounced like sophia"

:lol:

daevv

The Mega Man
May 28, 2007
Newfoundland!
[QUOTE="Carl, post: 0]Dave.

There are simply too many of them :lol:[/quote]

Hey! :)

I want to name my kid Shinobi.....No one would mess with a kid named Shinobi!

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
Hey, whats wrong with Todd?

I can't think of one, but people suck at choosing names for online games. I mean xXD4rkSl4yerc00kies1337Xx?

Shadowfyre

Super Elite
Jun 26, 2007
Names like "lafonda" and "tanisha" bother me, sounds too trashy for my tastes personally. Also names like "bob, george, and gertrude" just seem like they belong to 65 year old people.

I want to name my kid Shadow. :D

kflashin

Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2007
Alaska
Alize-This is a liquor,not a name,the parents were probably on some when giving it

America-I knew a girl in school with this name,plus the (ugly betty)chick has it,and I always wonder.........WHY?

Mael Duin

Elite Sage
Sep 12, 2005
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 0]Hey, whats wrong with Todd?
[/quote]

I can't think of one, but people suck at choosing names for online games. I mean xXD4rkSl4yerc00kies1337Xx?
Or Sephiroth1057, GokuVegetaSaiyan1847. Or even worse, _-~^VeGeTa79845SePhIrOtH^~-_ I have seen this one.

Dec 3, 2006
[QUOTE="Shadowfyre, post: 2582326]Names like "lafonda" and "tanisha" bother me, sounds too trashy for my tastes personally. Also names like "bob, george, and gertrude" just seem like they belong to 65 year old people.

I want to name my kid Shadow. :D[/quote]
Your kid is going to be the weird emo kid everyone makes fun of in that case. :snicker

Serjndestroy

Superior Member
Jun 30, 2007
Coming from SA, I've known some people with crazy names.. Matric Exemption (given to a girl because her mother wanted her to do well in school), Girly (a boy's name), Jordemaakletvandiestreepieoordiee (translates to Jorde pay attention to the stripe above the e, less of an actual name and more of an administrative error that was never corrected). That along with frightfully common names such as Frikkie, Worsie, Blackie, and a load of other conventional names pronounced in Afrikaans gives one hours and hours of entertainment..

kokoriet

Dedicated Member
Sep 7, 2007
Hagetha/Hagitha and many other German female names(apologies if wrong about origins). I mean Brunhilda, Brunhilde, Olga, Helga... they're just blegh. Most unpleasant on my ears I find though is Bartholomew.

Outside that, I don't really like Rupert, Albert or Fernando/Fernandez :p The first two just sound so dopey, not sure why with the last one.

Redman_DK

Master Poster
Nov 11, 2005
Kim.

Is it a boy or a girls name? No one really knows. When someone says Kim is coming over, then you're like. Well... What is Kim? You sit there hoping it's a pretty blonde, and then comes in this fat 10 year old boy with snot hangin out his nose saying "heeh my name backwards is Mik". :|

Sep 5, 2006
Cole sounds like another name for a suger cane or something along those lines.

Boris just sounds, well...boring! And Mitch...it's as if someone was playing with matches and decided to replace a letter and BAM! Epiphany! Vernon, Clifford, Chester, Gilbert, and Claude kinda bore me too.

Where did Conrad come from? Sounds like an airline.

B

Boostleak

[QUOTE="Mael Duin, post: 0]Or Sephiroth1057, GokuVegetaSaiyan1847. Or even worse, _-~^VeGeTa79845SePhIrOtH^~-_ I have seen this one.[/quote]

You left out Legolas, Legolass, Legolasss, xLegolasssx, and Legomyassfindabetternamedamnityoulotrfanatic. :lol: