Whats your favorite band????

surtur

Super Elite
Oct 5, 2005
About the lack of talent in todays guitarist i disagree 100% but i will say that it is not as easy to spot true talent like it was back in the day back then they were few and far between for the inovative sounds of Hendrix , Page, Eddie Van Halen (the reason i picked up the guitar), Clapton, etc etc. in this day and age the most talented musicians are from Europe they have more passion in learning music and the history of music just look at Yngwie Malmsteen he might not be your fav musician but he is by far the most Technicaly Perfect and superior guitar player in the world but many would say that being technicaly better doesnt make you the best i agrea but he can write great music also. (ok for newer guitarists) listen to Children Of Bodom they are a great show of talent not the best but darn good, how about Iced Earth, Rhapsody is probably the most technically tight band around. to find talented guitarists you will have to open your mind to heavy metal as that is were you will find the best guitarists in our day and age. but lots of people are turn off from heavy metal as they think it is just noise but just listen to a band like Rhapsody, Jag Panzer, Finntroll, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian etc.
As for todays music it is more then just a great guitar player these days there are some many bands with amazing guitars, Bass, keyboard/piano, and many of these great musicans are over shaddowed by the Drummers and that is were i see the biggest change is in the drumming look at some of the best death metal bands in the world they are most known for the drumming ie. Hate Eternal, cryptopsy etc.
even in todays punk bands thAt i hate the drummer is the most technical and talented in the Band.

all i can say is the music you hear on the radio sucks and is a talentless pool of crap you have to digg for the talent and there is an endless supply of great Metal bands with great talent. my 2.5Cents

PS Gamer

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2005
www.ps3land.com
surtur said:
About the lack of talent in todays guitarist i disagree 100% but i will say that it is not as easy to spot true talent like it was back in the day back then they were few and far between for the inovative sounds of Hendrix , Page, Eddie Van Halen (the reason i picked up the guitar), Clapton, etc etc. in this day and age the most talented musicians are from Europe they have more passion in learning music and the history of music just look at Yngwie Malmsteen he might not be your fav musician but he is by far the most Technicaly Perfect and superior guitar player in the world but many would say that being technicaly better doesnt make you the best i agrea but he can write great music also. (ok for newer guitarists) listen to Children Of Bodom they are a great show of talent not the best but darn good, how about Iced Earth, Rhapsody is probably the most technically tight band around. to find talented guitarists you will have to open your mind to heavy metal as that is were you will find the best guitarists in our day and age. but lots of people are turn off from heavy metal as they think it is just noise but just listen to a band like Rhapsody, Jag Panzer, Finntroll, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian etc.
As for todays music it is more then just a great guitar player these days there are some many bands with amazing guitars, Bass, keyboard/piano, and many of these great musicans are over shaddowed by the Drummers and that is were i see the biggest change is in the drumming look at some of the best death metal bands in the world they are most known for the drumming ie. Hate Eternal, cryptopsy etc.
even in todays punk bands thAt i hate the drummer is the most technical and talented in the Band.

all i can say is the music you hear on the radio sucks and is a talentless pool of crap you have to digg for the talent and there is an endless supply of great Metal bands with great talent. my 2.5Cents
Very true, Europe is very well known for producing many fine guitarist I don't doubt that at all. Mainly mainstream music is garbage, although there are some alright bands, but after awhile of listen'n to the same song from the same band 4 times in one day, it gets very old. You have to admit though that we havn't seen anyone in a few years that can play like Slash, Eddie Van Halen, Clapton, and so on. I do admit though that there are some that come close.

I also have to admit, Children of Bodom are a pretty damn good band. I have listened to them before, and I do infact like there music.

DeputyDon

Elite Guru
Jun 7, 2005
www.youtube.com
PS Gamer said:
I never said any of my opinions were facts, I was just stating on how I like those bands a lot more then today's newer music.

I do listen to todays newer music:

System of a down
Rise Against
Cradle of Filth
ect.

but then again, I will still take my favorite band of all time guns n roses over any of them (Once again, my opinion.)

I personally, really can't understand the "screamo" bands. Thats mainly because they are sort of new and upcoming, even though there are some that are good. It really depends on what your personal preference is.

Oh and the whole Axl wanting to change GNR to techno and axl owning the name is actully all true. If you want to you can read some of these here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_N'_Roses
Yeah I know what you mean, the older bands do have great musicians in them. There are some newer bands with really good musicians also.

Bright Eyes, or Connor Oberst is really good, I personally don't like his style of music but he is still amazing at guitar considering he plays every instrument.

Do me a favor though,

www.purevolume.com/centralavenuebreakdown

tell me if you like them. It's a bad recording, but it's my friends' band and I just want to know what you think.

Trinity

Elite Guru
Dec 3, 2005
Agree lord Van Halen, Clapton, and many others comes once in a life time, people that change and revolutionize the music forever. I also agrre in the radio songs, radio plays just crap now days. The last time, i was in a 3 hour trip, and the play Boulevard of Broken Dreams like 20 times in those 3 hours.

Come back Metal, come back..... :evil: :evil:

surtur

Super Elite
Oct 5, 2005
The thing with Children Of Bodom is they take alot of inspiration from clasical music like Mozart and you can tell in there early cd's and also mix in some american style thrash ala slayer pantera.
There arent alot of musicans in this time period that stand out with the inovative playing that the older guys had but you have to remember they were learning from the players before them and now we are learning from all the artists before us so to have talent that realy stands out is hard. it is just like any art form and science or math genius they dont stand out like they did back in the day.

All i will say is i love all music that has talent i listen to clasical music i listen to metal and alot of other stuff in between. But i am favourable to todays Metal then any other form of music as it is pure and Honest they dont make it to have a one hit wonder or to make everyone happy they play music because they love it how many metal bands reach god status and have millions of sales only a select few but it is not that they arent talented it is just not comercialized enough for the main stream.. I JUST LOVE MUSIC thats all i can realy say and i would like to think that the possibility of anougther great musician comeing out is a likely scenario I have played guitar for most of my life i am 23 now and started when i was 9 it is what i love to do and will never stop i will be the best i can possibly be and to me it doesnt matter if people dont think i am as good as those guys i shred in my own right and can hold my own but i dont want to be compared to the greats i play for me and thats all if someone likes what i do so be it but i do it only for me..

ok this is getting long ill stop lol

DeputyDon

Elite Guru
Jun 7, 2005
www.youtube.com
War Hawk said:
I agree, i hate those bands that scream the whole song, and then you look at the lyrics and they are crap. Its all about the real metal rock. Nobody will ever forget going to Kmart and buying Live after Death, putting the cassette on a walkman, and listening to it over and over again.
A lot of the bands with crappy lyrics, such as Throwdown, just play to please the crowd. If your into the "Hardcore" scene then it's good to hardcore dance too. I mean really good.

Then there are the bands that try too hard and still end up sucking
*Coughs* Hawthorne Heights *Coughs*

I mean, they released a cd, like a year later re-release it, a month later re-released it again. Then like 2 months later released a new cd, and one month later released another new cd. They sorta have 5 cds out, 3 of which are the same with slightly different things, 2 that were released practically right on top of each and they have to have the worst breakdowns I've ever heard in my life.

Nov 27, 2005
The best thing in the world, is when you find a soundtrack for a moment in your life.

It's quarter to 2 in the morning. You're driving, alone. Your brain has only 2 tracks, each with a bullet train screaming across your mind. One train is holding that song, that minute...each word, each note.

The other train is holding the past 12 hours. What you've done. What you haven't. What you regret. The fact that you fvcked your day up and want to start over. Or about how perfect it was and how bad you want to relive it. Girlfriend. Parents. Job. Friends. Money. Pain. Happiness. Sorrow.

That song... that moment.

That's why I listen.

surtur

Super Elite
Oct 5, 2005
So December Spade basically your say you Listen for the Passion, and Emotion the Music bring out. That is the Power of Music it can make people feel the emotions of the writer or thye can make there own emotions from the music it is all in what you hear and how you hear it some people dont even realy hear the music they listen to it but dont feel it.

Metal Warrior

Master Poster
Nov 18, 2005
Antwerp
Surtur, you say "look at Death Metal acts" for great drumming, but I find Death Metal drumming a little uninspired. Sure, lightning fast and technically insane, but it gets a bit boring. Mostly, Jazz drummers are known to be the best in the world. Now, if you're really into the Death Metalish drumming, I should urge you to listen to some Dissection song, if you don't know them already (chances are you do). They're a bit Göteborg like At the Gates, mixed with the dark sounds of Black Metal from Norway in the early 90's, and there's even some Heavy Metal influence.

Mr. Solanky

Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2005
www.freewebs.com
Jazz drummers are really good. They aren't fast, or amazing sounding, but they can have like, 7 things going on at once.

And System Of A Down was started 10 years ago, that's when I heard them. I was like, 3 and I've been hooked ever since. Still remember the song. Sugooah! :lol:

surtur

Super Elite
Oct 5, 2005
Surtur, you say "look at Death Metal acts" for great drumming, but I find Death Metal drumming a little uninspired. Sure, lightning fast and technically insane, but it gets a bit boring. Mostly, Jazz drummers are known to be the best in the world. Now, if you're really into the Death Metalish drumming, I should urge you to listen to some Dissection song, if you don't know them already (chances are you do). They're a bit Göteborg like At the Gates, mixed with the dark sounds of Black Metal from Norway in the early 90's, and there's even some Heavy Metal influence.
Metal Warrior I was talking in the technical sense i know there are lots of great drummers that dont play insanely fast but it is like Yngwie Malmsteen he is one of the Fastest most Technical guitar players in the world in my eyes he is the best there has ever been but not everyone thinks so but thats what i meant
but i will say that my all time favourite and in my eyes the best Bass Guitar Player is Victor Wooten he is just amazing. guitar is Malmsteen, and drumming is probably a toss up of about 10 great drummers from blues and jazz to metal and classic rock it is hard to say who is the best but everyone has there opinion.

I will say one of my fav singers is the guy from Manowar he has such a octave change from low to high and i am amazed at some of the stuff he does i love it pure old school Prog Metal ..
"If you Are not into Metal then you are not my friend" Manowar -Metal warriors :)

B

behemoth12

Delrirous? is my favorite band ... a christian rock band with the same style of U2.. U2 rocks to
other christian rock bands to consider are: barren cross, stryper, narnia, heavenly.

Metal Warrior

Master Poster
Nov 18, 2005
Antwerp
surtur said:
I will say one of my fav singers is the guy from Manowar he has such a octave change from low to high and i am amazed at some of the stuff he does i love it pure old school Prog Metal ..
"If you Are not into Metal then you are not my friend" Manowar -Metal warriors :)
That's only natural, he IS the greatest Heavy Metal singer out there. 8)
I think he's one of the only Metal singers to pull off an opera like Nessum Dorma and then do some insanely high scream in the next song. If you compare it to some of the "new acts" like Linkin Park or whatever...

Cody

Elite Member
Jun 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Emo? personally I don't mind some of it, I prefere a mix though. I don't like it when the whole song is people screaming*cough* underoath but if it's like a mix for example Linkin park(if you want soft) Dimmu borgir or Disturbed has some good screams at certain points especially the song "Down with the sickness" alot of people love that song, I personally think its there best.

I don't think music now isnt as good as music in the 80's I just think there are alot more good bands out there so it is harder to spot the real talented ones.

By the way the bands I like:
Disturbed
Dimmu borgir
Hatebreed
Godsmack(some)
Metallica
System of a down
Eternal decision
There are probably more I am just forgetting to mention by the way this is like the 10th Who's your favourite band thread. every few months a new one is made.

Demiant

Super Elite
Apr 8, 2007
The most honest answer to this question is I don't know... ask me tomorrow and I'll have a different answer than today's.

I like a LOT of music, so I don't really have a favourite band or artist... there are some that I listen to a bit more though...

If I had to choose a band/artist RIGHT NOW, it'd probably be Oasis but, like I said, ask me tomorrow and it'll change.

P.S. Epic bump, btw. :D

Feb 2, 2009
Australia
Right now my favourite bands are Bloc Party and Jamiroquai...but of all time:

Rage Against the Machine
Tool
Pantera
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Muse
System of a Down

in that order.

jocomat9

Dedicated Member
Jan 12, 2008
My favorite band is Nirvana. The rest in no order,

Rage against the machines,
Nickel back
Rise against
Parachute band
coheed and Cambria
Gunz in roses

More but can't remember atm.

PsychoMantis

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
Nov 20, 2005
Pantera
Slipknot
Van Halen
Linkin Park
AC/DC

I mainly like solo artist (rap) but rock has took a nose dive over the past decade, old school FTW! There are too many talentless bands out now, the industry is on life support.

Zoibie

Supreme Veteran
Jun 18, 2006
4 and a half year bump, nice :lol:

Mine are (in this order)
Switchfoot
Jon Foreman
Led Zeppelin
The Daylights
Seabird
Arcade Fire

C

Comatosed

depends on my mood, loving the chili peppers a lot at the minute. but if I had to pick one it would be blink-182.