When are you too old? When will you stop?

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
Do any of you think there's an age limit for playing video games?

I've seen people comment that video games are only for kids, teenagers, and people in their early 20s. I disagree because I'm of the mindset that you should do whatever makes you happy in life. I've seen people on Youtube and live streams in their 40s, 50s, and even 60s still playing video games. I'm only in my early 30s and I feel like I'll realistically continue gaming at least well into my 40s, if not longer.

Do you ever see yourself coming to a point where you stop buying games and consoles or stop gaming all together?

I can see a point where I stop buying brand new systems and just enjoy my existing collection. I already know people who only play everything up to N64/PS era or perhaps PS2/GC/DC/XB era.

At the moment I plan on not buying anymore consoles after this generation is over (2018 or 2019?). Will I get a PS5 when the time comes? Perhaps...but if I do, it certainly won't be a launch model. I really just want to take a few years off from it all to just play the massive backlog of games I have for every system. Plus there's a lot of great games that I feel deserve to be re-played so in that sense I have my fill of games.

I'm just curious what the PSU community thinks about being an "old" gamer and if you'll ever stop. Feel free to share your thoughts.

Last edited:

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I don't think there is an age limit to playing video games, it's not "geeky" anymore thanks to the massive amount of titles and genres that are now on offer.

The only time I think I shall ever stop gaming is when my hands can't physically hold a controller anymore! I enjoy gaming a hell of a lot and I can't see that ever stopping even if I only play once a week.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I am 31, I am playing very less then 5 years ago. But none bit related go the age. I got married and gaming time half ed. Then after my son comes to the stage it is almost 0 if you compare my previous life.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I'm gaming more than ever now that my kids are teenagers. Makes for great father-son time and something we can connect with.

I don't see this hobby as one that has an age limit. I think a large part of society thinks video gaming is primarily an activity for the young. Think that is because video gaming as a form of entertainment is still relatively new. As time passes and more and more young gamers get older, I think that attitude will change.

Andy

Apprentice
May 25, 2014
I'm in my 50's. I only got into gaming when I was 40. It's definitely not a hobby reserved for young people.

What happens to a lot of people as they age, though, is that their career starts to claim a lot of time, they get married and start a family, and so they just don't have the time anymore. They'll say they are "too old," but what they really are is too busy.

I know a lot of older gamers. Admittedly, I'm still reluctant to mention it to people in my age group, because of the stereotypes.

It's a form of entertainment. As a form of entertainment, it's healthier than what most people spend hours a day doing, watching TV. Gaming requires thought and participation, not just passive absorption. There are studies suggesting that it actually helps you to stay sharp, at least in some ways, as you get older.

What people outside the field don't understand is the diversity of games available. They think it's all just adolescent male fantasy stuff, shooters, driving games, sports games, and that's it. They have no idea about the diversity of gaming experiences that exist. They also find it hard to understand the immersive quality of some games.

Anyway, to answer your question, you're never too old. As you long as you enjoy it, keep doing it.

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
I don't think there will ever be a day where I don't think I will not like video games. It's a passion of mine. That passion has been tested over the years but it's still there.

Chewbacca

Superior Member
Dec 26, 2015
Pennsylvania
[QUOTE="Andy, post: 6520731]I'm in my 50's. I only got into gaming when I was 40. It's definitely not a hobby reserved for young people.

What happens to a lot of people as they age, though, is that their career starts to claim a lot of time, they get married and start a family, and so they just don't have the time anymore. They'll say they are "too old," but what they really are is too busy.

I know a lot of older gamers. Admittedly, I'm still reluctant to mention it to people in my age group, because of the stereotypes.

It's a form of entertainment. As a form of entertainment, it's healthier than what most people spend hours a day doing, watching TV. Gaming requires thought and participation, not just passive absorption. There are studies suggesting that it actually helps you to stay sharp, at least in some ways, as you get older.

What people outside the field don't understand is the diversity of games available. They think it's all just adolescent male fantasy stuff, shooters, driving games, sports games, and that's it. They have no idea about the diversity of gaming experiences that exist. They also find it hard to understand the immersive quality of some games.

Anyway, to answer your question, you're never too old. As you long as you enjoy it, keep doing it.[/QUOTE]

I think you nailed it overall but especially with what I put in bold. It's not that we necessarily get too old, it's that we get too busy with other things in life.

The other point for me is that there's always new games coming out that I'm interested in. The problem is I haven't finished the last few titles I just bought a few months ago so it's this never-ending feeling of playing catch up. I don't want to rush through every game or only play a few hours before moving on to the next thing. I like to dedicate the time and concentration to thoroughly enjoy myself. With less time to play as we get older, the harder it is to play everything.

I know new games aren't going anywhere and I could still buy them 6 months or a year down the road after they come out. That's usually not an issue with single player focused games but something that has a multiplayer element, I feel pressured to get in on the action early while everyone else is enjoying it.

Sometimes I just get the anxiety bug and buy a handful of games, knowing full well that most of them will stay in shrink-wrap for a while. Does anyone else feel like this?

I know some might say "well just buy the games you absolutely know you will like" but for me that's many different games across many genres. The long and short of what I'm trying to say is that I feel overwhelmed sometimes by the amount of games versus time to play them.

Last edited:

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Been a gamer since I saw my first Spacies machine, and wrote my first game.
Its in my blood as a programmer so, I doubt I will ever be too old.

Andy

Apprentice
May 25, 2014
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6520734]The other point for me is that there's always new games coming out that I'm interested in. The problem is I haven't finished the last few titles I just bought a few months ago so it's this never-ending feeling of playing catch up. ....

Sometimes I just get the anxiety bug and buy a handful of games, knowing full well that most of them will stay in shrink-wrap for a while. Does anyone else feel like this?[/QUOTE]

That's not me, no. I don't have a backlog. As I've gotten older, I've gotten a lot pickier about what I'll spend my time on. For instance, I used to spend 200+ hours on long, open-world RPGs, but I just can't muster the patience for that anymore. I have developed a taste for shorter, more linear games -- games that keep the pace up and get to the point, without a lot of filler. I have also grown tired of a lot of the same-old, same-old stuff we see in AAA gaming. I often feel like "I've played this game before." I want something new, something that sparks my imagination. That's why I like Japanese games lately -- they are weird and unusual. I also like unique indies.

Anyhow, the combination of my increasing pickyness and a taste for shorter games leaves me without much of a backlog, usually.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
I am an adult right now and I love video games. No reason why that would ever change the older I get. I am an adult for the rest of my life. Nothing says there is an age where you can't play video games anymore.

In fact, I have 8 kids and I play more games now than I did when I was 21. I am sure my kids have a lot to do with that.

Our home has 3 XBOX One consoles. 3 PS4's, Wii U, 2xPS3's, 2 PSP's, PS Vita, 7 iPads, Xbox 360, and an original Nintendo :)

And a badass arcade machine with 65,000 games on it. Gaming will never end for me.

Last edited:

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
[QUOTE="Andy, post: 6520731]I'm in my 50's. I only got into gaming when I was 40. It's definitely not a hobby reserved for young people.

Anyway, to answer your question, you're never too old. As you long as you enjoy it, keep doing it.[/QUOTE]
This may very well be my favourite reply I've seen in a while on this forum! :D

Absolutely agree, word for word. I'm not afraid to mention it to people (whether they're older or younger than me) even though 90% of them whine about the fact that "you're throwing away your life" and whatnot, because as you said, they don't understand it whatsoever, yet they probably go home and sit in front of the TV for hours not really thinking or doing anything, so I just don't listen to any of those belittling words because they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I'm 30, married, have one child and we are trying for another, spend most of my day at work and then spend time with my wife and son until they go to bed and that's when I shut myself in my games room and play video games till the early hours of the morning and even as I get older I can never seen that changing!

MjW

Forum Sage
Oct 30, 2006
My father used to play video games when I was young. He and his friend would take over my console, and I would get irritated. He was around 40-45 and never has been an enthusiast into the tech like I am. So taking that in mind, I could as well stop playing when I simply can't due to age issues.

What makes things easier is that gaming gets more exclusive the older you get. You only have time for triple A, awesome games, and you can drop 5k into a good TV/AVR setup to improve the experience.

Sir_Scud

Super Elite
Dec 30, 2007
Age is just a number. I think parts of society still see it as nerdy things that only kids or teenagers do, but that group keeps diminishing. More and more people play games, even if it is just some mobile game on a cellphone. My dad used to play games with me when I was a kid, but he stopped. I could see my time dropping significantly as time goes on, but I could see myself as some retired grandpa gaming all the time.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think anyone can stop playing games, not necessarily because of the games themselves but because real life suddenly takes priority or they want to pursue another hobby, which is totally fine, as long as they're happy. A lot of us play video games as a way to relax but I think it's also important to moderate how much time you spend playing so you don't miss out on other things (which sounds like such a parent thing to say to a child but it's true, in my opinion). In general, I think if you've been playing games for a long time, it's more likely that you'll simply take a break as opposed to quit altogether.

Interestingly, some people think there are "too many buttons on a controller" which you might think is a crazy excuse but remember that when we started playing games, we used basic controls so it was easy for us to get used to playing video games. This is probably why some games, to veteran gamers, feel as thought they're holding your hand but that's just what I would make of it.

Last edited:

FinalxxSin

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2015
[QUOTE="Chewbacca, post: 6520702]
Do you ever see yourself coming to a point where you stop buying games and consoles or stop gaming all together?[/QUOTE]
I don't believe there is an age limit to playing games. There may very well be a point where I stop buying new games and consoles. I'm pretty picky about what I will play, so I typically don't end up with a lot of games in comparison to a lot of other people for a generation. For example, I think Lethal has as many, or more, PS4 games as I do PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 titles put together. So if it gets to the point where new games aren't interesting to me enough, I won't buy the respective console. I'll only stop playing my older games when my old systems die on me, and I'm not able to replace/fix them.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
There is no age limit on things you enjoy. People that tell you you're told old for something can honestly f off. As long as what you are doing is within reason and doesn't harm others, enjoy yourself. Most people seem to forget what it means to be themselves and are just fitting into the cliche stereotypes of every day life of how they're supposed to be. Forget that crap. You only have one life ... fill it with stuff that makes you happy. Your happiness is all that matters.

Kuro

Elite Sage
Jan 30, 2012
Ore no Sekai
No age limit to video games.
For my case I haven't had much time as I had mainly when I was a teenager I had all the time to just game. Now it's just been about life,work,school trying to settle in, It hits you hard man lol. I'm slowly sort of losing interest in playing video games but I do still play a bit here and there.

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
turned 40 in august..no intention of quitting gaming. love it as much now as when i started..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andy

Apprentice
May 25, 2014
When will I stop? When they pry the controller from my cold, dead hands.

p.s. Not really. I may stop before that. There are times when it's hard for me to find a game I really want to play, and I wonder if I've just gotten tired of it. After a while, a lot of the games do start to feel repetitive, like "I've played this game before..." Fortunately, there's still enough good, fun stuff to keep me coming back.

Last edited:

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="EGK, post: 0]Also if you have some problems with work, family and etc, you can go away from these problems to video game.[/QUOTE]
Video games shouldn't be an excuse to run away from your problems. In fact, some people simply won't be in the mood to play them.

Naxi

The Dawkness!
Sep 3, 2006
UK
www.last.fm
[QUOTE="Vyse, post: 6521684]Video games shouldn't be an excuse to run away from your problems. In fact, some people simply won't be in the mood to play them.[/QUOTE]
It's not an excuse, it's escapism.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
[QUOTE="Naxi, post: 6521687]It's not an excuse, it's escapism.[/QUOTE]
It's just another way to describe getting lost in a game, which is fine, so long as you don't become addicted to the point where you begin avoiding real-life priorities. Video games are a double-edged sword in that they're unique in how interactive they are in player input and visual and auditory feedback, the ability to create whole other worlds, characters, cultures etc. But the truth is, not everyone can handle it responsibly without some oversight, hence the importance of moderating children playing when they start early.

Last edited:

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
I think video games make more sense the older you get because eventually all you can do is lay in bed and move your arms and hands a bit. Take my Gran, she is bed ridden and rings my mum Aunt and uncle and every other persoon she can think of on an almost daily basis because she is bored (she doesnt admit it) but imgine if she was a gamer!

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Unsure when I will stop not into gaming as much as I was when I was a kid but still do a lot of it and enjoy it.
If companies try to make you pay tons for a game as well as too much DLC I don't buy it until the price drops which takes like 3-6 months anyway since game prices lower faster than what they used to.

Age doesn't matter for games in my opinion as long as you enjoy it. Its a another form of entertainment which gives a different form of perspective compared to movies ,tv shows and feels like your doing something.

Nov 27, 2007
When gaming took off in the 80s and 90s it was seen as a geeky thing, something anti social and kept you indoors.
In the late 90s and 2000s it started to get criticism for violence and general bad behavior.
Through all this time I was always the "adults" who told us these things. Always the parents, teachers and politicians who said it was bad bad bad.
Now, 30 years on from the 80s the gamers of then are now the adults. We are now the parents, teaching our kids about gaming.

The adult generation today has grown up on gaming and so in turn the bad stereotype is watering down. Combined with modern technology and the way we live in society - everyone on a smart phone now has access to some sort of game.

Gaming used to an taboo. It really isn't any more and I think with that the mind set that if you were older you shouldn't game is gone. As we are the older generation and why shouldn't I game?

Now I'm only 30, but I recently just bought a ps4 and a swanky new telly. Had a 2 year spell where my gaming habits slipped (big relocation), but I'm back with a vengeance and I'm every game developers wet dream. Specially ea.
I can't wait to play battlefield 1, can't wait to see what the next full gt game is like or if gta6 will get bloody announced yet...even though I'm loving gtav for the umpteenth play through. Long may it continue for the next 30 years.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Survival Horror

Superior Member
Jan 25, 2015
In my country some people and especially may girls believe that if you are around 30 years old and still playing video games, you are mature and u must "grown up". And for example if u go to clubs and bars daily and spend a lot of money, you are "in"...Stupid prejudices.

The new generations hopefully are better on their beliefs on this section. They are closer to video games and they believe that you can play without age-limit.

In my head things are simple. If you love something, u cant let it till you close your eyes. I was lucky my uncle to have arcades coin-ops when i was really young boy so i loved games and will love them forever, is not a "hobby", is a love that making me feel "full", so the answer to this question for me is "NEVER", for everyone is different and depends of a lot of things but as i said there is not age that u must stop if u truly love them.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I think video games for me have changed recently. I used to need to play them but now I'm at a point in my life where other things are a priority for feeling happy and fulfilled.

Last edited: