When are you too old? When will you stop?

No age limit! As with any sport or activity, the only limitations are your health and mental ability. At 65, I'm just as much into gaming as I was at 23, when I discovered Pong in a motel lobby. The type of game that I play these days has changed from the early shoot-'em-ups and fighters to fun platformers (Ratchet & Clank) and involved RPG's (Skyrim). I've been known to spend 10-12 hours on some difficult portions of longer games. I see no reason to stop; my limitation these days is lack of income in retirement... although I'm an avid console gamer, I can't afford a PS4 and so stick with my PS3.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2017
You can be any age ya want to play videogames. Just like music, you can get into any type of music, artist or band you like no matter what kind of music or band it is and no matter what age you are, 5, 15, 25, 50, 80 ,100. The day that youre supposed to be a certain age to play a game or listen to music is so 1960s.

Last edited:

bobtheduck

Elite Guru
Feb 16, 2007
Okayama
Whether you can play games has little to do with age. Gaming is a hobby, and unless you are required (by a spouse, for instance, or workplace advancement) to take up conflicting hobbies or give them up (because of time), there is no reason for Gaming to end. Of course, gaming is not as passive as TV and movie watching, so it takes more energy and if you lack energy of that sort, then gaming may be too much, too.

Feb 6, 2017
I don't see myself ever stopping really. I have been working in the games industry for over 10 years because it's what I genuinely love to do and as for future me, I hope to sit and show my kids one day the games I grew up with, to see them grow with games the way I did and to embrace it.

jj03

Elite Guru
Apr 7, 2007
i don't envision stopping anytime soon. i am at the age now that when i hear certain songs, such as fortunate son, it always, without fail, takes me back to battlefield bc 2 multiplayer, getting in a chopper with a few others and that song blasting out whilst raining down some steel death...as alex ferguson may possibly say...gaming eh. bloody hell...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Devil

Master Poster
May 16, 2009
England
I am 22 so still really young but I don't think I will ever stop gaming. As I get older I may not play games as much, but I will always have a console there for me whenever I want to chill after a hard days work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KungMartin90

Dedicated Member
Sep 6, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I don't think a true gamer will ever feel "too old" to play games. Once a gamer, always a gamer ;D One thing that does get in the way of gaming though, inevitably, is life. Like once I get married, have kids, etc, I'm realistically not gonna have much time for games (besides my hopefully future wife HATES when I play games, so that'll make it even harder for me to squeeze in time for games). So until that day comes, and I have time, I don't care how old I am, I'll keep playing games ;DD

berries8

Jan 2, 2018
I don't think there should be an age limit, I feel like when I retire I will have more time and play more than I do now. (y)

Feb 6, 2016
Cleveland, Ohio USA
On March 18th, I will turn 50 years old. I'm still gaming. I may not be as hardcore as I used to be and play on easy more than I used to, but I still play. I don't really see that changing any time soon. I've been a gamer since I got my first Pong system when I was 6 in 1974, I don't think I could just quit something I've been enjoying for most of my life.

Xraein

Dedicated Member
May 6, 2008
Venus
On March 18th, I will turn 50 years old. I'm still gaming. I may not be as hardcore as I used to be and play on easy more than I used to, but I still play. I don't really see that changing any time soon. I've been a gamer since I got my first Pong system when I was 6 in 1974, I don't think I could just quit something I've been enjoying for most of my life.
Wow since 1974 :cool: it's so nice to see old gamers like you still play video games. Keep doing whatever makes you happy.. age doesn't matter.. it's just a number =^.^=

As for me.. I don't video games as much as I used to do, between my job and the university there is a lot of work and little time.. >.<" but normally I play 1 - 2 hours a day and sometimes I go weeks without playing anything.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
Family and other responsibilities can take you away from gaming or convert you into a casual gamer. I've been quite a hardcore gamer since I was a kid and it lasted about 20 years... I kinda lost interest in gaming by the horrible years of the end of the last generation of consoles. Turned into a PC Gamer for RTS and things that wouldn't take that much time away from me.

Now I'm back with all 3 platforms but it's indeed pretty hard to keep up with news games so I became more picky. Also, I've played so many games that it's much more difficult for me to be impressed by new titles. Said this, there's been titles that nailed it, like The Witcher 3, Ori, TLOU, God of War so name a few.

If, for some reason, you're not willing to have kids/get married... then you can be a hardcore gamer virtually forever, and best thing is, you most likely will have to money to cover the costs for all the bells and whistles tech can offer. Have many friends in their late 30s and one in his 50s who are.

BTW. If you have kids, you will also need to be careful with what you play and for how long. Gaming can become an addiction, and I've also seen the ugly face of it. Guys in their 30s with low end jobs, living with their parents and spending their money on games.

l0is

Apr 6, 2018
I don't think there's a word such as old gamer. We are all gamer in heart. No matter what our gender and age. I know I will still play games even if i'm 60 or 80. I want to play with my grandsons and beat them on tekken or any other multiplayer games. I want them to say to their friends that my grandfather is so cool he beat me many times. xD music to my ears haha

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
Do any of you think there's an age limit for playing video games?

I've seen people comment that video games are only for kids, teenagers, and people in their early 20s. I disagree because I'm of the mindset that you should do whatever makes you happy in life. I've seen people on Youtube and live streams in their 40s, 50s, and even 60s still playing video games. I'm only in my early 30s and I feel like I'll realistically continue gaming at least well into my 40s, if not longer.

Do you ever see yourself coming to a point where you stop buying games and consoles or stop gaming all together?

I can see a point where I stop buying brand new systems and just enjoy my existing collection. I already know people who only play everything up to N64/PS era or perhaps PS2/GC/DC/XB era.

At the moment I plan on not buying anymore consoles after this generation is over (2018 or 2019?). Will I get a PS5 when the time comes? Perhaps...but if I do, it certainly won't be a launch model. I really just want to take a few years off from it all to just play the massive backlog of games I have for every system. Plus there's a lot of great games that I feel deserve to be re-played so in that sense I have my fill of games.

I'm just curious what the PSU community thinks about being an "old" gamer and if you'll ever stop. Feel free to share your thoughts.
As a 45yr old who has had just about every system since the first ones, I don't feel like i'll ever stop completely. I hope not anyway! LOL. But what most likely will happen in the next 5-10yrs (IMO anyway) games will be streamed directly to our smart enabled TVs. and All you'll do is subscribe and buy a compatible controller. SO it could end up like netflix or a cable channel service.

Dec 16, 2006
In your urinary tract
49 here - been gaming since the very first console you plug into the TV (Atari Pong). I bloody loved it. Been gaming ever since even though I run a worldwide organisation within one of the world's largest tech companies - I'll never consider gaming to be too immature for my age, position, whatever

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
I will stop when the arthritis in my hands prevents me from doing so ... but by then we'll probably have some crazy VR.

Aquanox

Forum Sage
May 26, 2005
As a 45yr old who has had just about every system since the first ones, I don't feel like i'll ever stop completely. I hope not anyway! LOL. But what most likely will happen in the next 5-10yrs (IMO anyway) games will be streamed directly to our smart enabled TVs. and All you'll do is subscribe and buy a compatible controller. SO it could end up like netflix or a cable channel service.
They've been trying to do so for many years now. I don't think it will ever cut it for hardcore gamers who are still fighting with TV input lag, let alone Internet-Transfered visuals lag.

11Nick11

Jun 7, 2019
Despite on the fact that I'm 29, I play the video games. I guess that games are not only for children or teenages. Adult people also can play the games. This is just a hobby. When I play the games I feel relaxed and happy:)

Jun 25, 2019
  1. Start your job search right away. Don't wait until your unemployment runs out to start looking for a new position.
  2. Work your network.
  3. Reassure a younger manager.
  4. Don't mention your age or the interviewer's age.
  5. Explain why you're not overqualified.
  6. Demonstrate your fluency with technology.

Jun 25, 2019
  1. Start your job search right away. Don't wait until your unemployment runs out to start looking for a new position. ...
  2. Work your network. ...
  3. Reassure a younger manager. ...
  4. Don't mention your age or the interviewer's age. ...
  5. Shorten your resume. ...
  6. Explain why you're not overqualified. ...
  7. Demonstrate your fluency with technology.