When will you lay down the controller for good?

magma12

Dedicated Member
Mar 20, 2008
When do you think you'll stop playing games for good?

I would like to say never but I have a feeling I'm going to stop gaming when I get married, but not sure. How about you, anybody loosing intrest in videogames:(.

aceofspades21

Superior Member
Mar 23, 2008
Burlington, VT
Not even when i'm dead. I'm making sure my will states to bury me with a controller of whatever console I have at the time of my death. Or maybe the PSP5 or w/e.

Never giving up video games. Ever.

seebs

Elite Sage
Dec 29, 2006
Why would I stop playing games?

I've been married 13 years. We both still play video games. So do our roommates.

Say Low

Superior Member
Apr 11, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i hope i will probably never stop playing. i heard the average age of gamers is like 29 or something and im only half that age right now so.... yeah i still have a long long time.
wonder if they'll have virtual reality in like 50 years?

Ball3r

Forum Elder
Jan 14, 2008
[QUOTE="magma12, post: 0]When do you think you'll stop playing games for good?

I would like to say never but I have a feeling I'm going to stop gaming when I get married, but not sure. How about you, anybody loosing intrest in videogames:(.[/quote]

Like you said, I hope never. However I feel this is inevitable, so I guess, just enjoy it while it lasts:).

sonickev

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2007
I think each stage of your life either has time for playing games or not. I just turned 40 and my desire to play games has not dwindled, but I have many more things that are either more important or demand more of my time (I just bought a Traxxas T-MAXX for example)

Despite the reviews, I'm loving Haze right now, but we also spend hours and cash on Singstar at the monent and Buzz has renewed interest.

So my game playing right now is a little bit different to my stay-up-all-night-and-complete-Halo days.

Also, my parents in their 60s have just bought a Wii, so if they are that late in life and being introduced to the world of gaming, then I find it extremely unlikely that I would stop.

Jaeger

Master Sage
Mar 2, 2008
I'll keep gaming for as long as possible.

I know my girlfriend won't stop me from playing games, as she plays them too, so I have no worries about the relationship stopping me from enjoying Call of Duty sessions. I don't know what it will be like if/when we get married or whatever, but she'll have to kill me before she gets the controller out of my hands.

hchaudh1

Superior Member
Jun 23, 2006
I responded to the previous threads about this saying, "Never". Now, I am not too sure.

The reason is I am 30. I think my tastes in gaming have changed a lot and I feel most game companies are catering to people with different tastes. It could be that I am no longer part of the core gaming demographic. Lately I don't even feel the need to buy a game, even some that sold well.

For example, I rented GeOW recently when I bought a 360. Now, I have played the game when I had a 360 last year, but this time around, the gameplay and the graphics felt very stale. The cover mechanic was new and exciting when GeOW first came out, but now, everyone has that. And let's face it, the story or the characters are nothing special either. I didn't even finish the game. Yesterday I got Lost Odyssey. Same thing. Underwhelming is an understatement. However, I will keep looking. Excited about Fable 2 at the moment.

But, its not just about 360 games. Even on the PS3 front, I didn't like GTA at all.Yea, its multiplatform and all, but still. Got Civ also. Great game, put in 2 games of about 3 hours each. But everytime I would build up enough tech to steam roll the competition, the no. of turns would be over. That alone was the biggest reason why I did not buy the game. Warhawk is the only game I play with any consistency.

So, in response to the OP, I don't know. Could happen this year, could happen the next. But if I don't see MGS4 type games more often, my consoles might be relegated to being media centers only to be taken out of retirement maybe once a year when a blockbuster hits.

Pez_555

Master Guru
Feb 3, 2006
we havent reached a generation where the elderly play video games simply because the first console was only brought out 30-40 years ago. id like to think i will be playing until i get in my death bed.

seebs

Elite Sage
Dec 29, 2006
[QUOTE="hchaudh1, post: 0]I responded to the previous threads about this saying, "Never". Now, I am not too sure.

The reason is I am 30. I think my tastes in gaming have changed a lot and I feel most game companies are catering to people with different tastes. It could be that I am no longer part of the core gaming demographic. Lately I don't even feel the need to buy a game, even some that sold well.[/quote]

It happens!

For example, I rented GeOW recently when I bought a 360. Now, I have played the game when I had a 360 last year, but this time around, the gameplay and the graphics felt very stale. The cover mechanic was new and exciting when GeOW first came out, but now, everyone has that. And let's face it, the story or the characters are nothing special either. I didn't even finish the game. Yesterday I got Lost Odyssey. Same thing. Underwhelming is an understatement. However, I will keep looking. Excited about Fable 2 at the moment.

But, its not just about 360 games. Even on the PS3 front, I didn't like GTA at all.Yea, its multiplatform and all, but still. Got Civ also. Great game, put in 2 games of about 3 hours each. But everytime I would build up enough tech to steam roll the competition, the no. of turns would be over. That alone was the biggest reason why I did not buy the game. Warhawk is the only game I play with any consistency.

So, in response to the OP, I don't know. Could happen this year, could happen the next. But if I don't see MGS4 type games more often, my consoles might be relegated to being media centers only to be taken out of retirement maybe once a year when a blockbuster hits.
I've been in that place for a long time. I've started playing a lot broader range of games, though, because it turns out a lot of the games I used to hate are now awesome. Ten years ago, I would have hated Paper Mario. Five years ago, it rocked my world. Now, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't love it.

The Wii and the DS have been making me pretty happy, despite being very different from a lot of what I used to play.

magma12

Dedicated Member
Mar 20, 2008
[QUOTE="grcswoosh, post: 0]:lol:
[/quote]

LOL!!! Yeah go granny go!!! It looks like most of us want to play videogames forever, but aren't you guys afraid to lose intrest on games sooner or later? I fear this.

daevv

The Mega Man
May 28, 2007
Newfoundland!
After thinking about it I find go through stages with each console generation except the last 2.

Little NES, alot SNES/Genesis, Little N64/PS1, alot PS2 for the first 2-3 years it was out, then nothing till 2007 and the purchase of the PS3. Lets see what the next "next gen" brings...

Mar 12, 2008
My plans are to never stop playing, everyone I know plays video games. It's an addiction that cannot be broken. For me, at least.

IntrepidEsquire

Superior Member
May 17, 2008
my kids or my grandkids will pry it from me on my death bed. i plan on dying while playing gta or behind the wheel of a car because an old person was going so slow i have a stroke. eather way never.

magma12

Dedicated Member
Mar 20, 2008
[QUOTE="daevv, post: 0]After thinking about it I find go through stages with each console generation except the last 2.

Little NES, alot SNES/Genesis, Little N64/PS1, alot PS2 for the first 2-3 years it was out, then nothing till 2007 and the purchase of the PS3. Lets see what the next "next gen" brings...[/quote]

Yeah, lets. This gen will only get better and better.