Where's the horror (in RE5)?

cruzader

Dedicated Member
Dec 28, 2006
After watching most of the gameplay videos of Resident Evil 5, I've been asking myself this question: Where's the horror?

It seems as the series is getting more action oriented and drifting further away from the survival horror genre. Many people voiced their concerns with RE4. Now that RE5 is upon us, it seems like there's very little "scare" compared to previous titles. With the addition of basically 2 player gameplay, it seems like this point is made even more true.

This may be a premature concern considering that it's still too early to tell. But if the footage we are being shown is any indication of the final output, Resident Evil 5 should not be considered an action-shooter (with zombies), not a survival horror.

Of course this won't differ me from getting the game- I just miss the classic horror aspect that this series created.

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
That´s right. There is no more horror, same as for RE4, it has become mainly an action game with monsters.

I still love it because i follow RE story since its debut, but i think it is going down the drain.

Staticneuron

Sublimely Static
Feb 3, 2007
Vekta
[QUOTE="cruzader, post: 0]After watching most of the gameplay videos of Resident Evil 5, I've been asking myself this question: Where's the horror?

It seems as the series is getting more action oriented and drifting further away from the survival horror genre. Many people voiced their concerns with RE4. Now that RE5 is upon us, it seems like there's very little "scare" compared to previous titles. With the addition of basically 2 player gameplay, it seems like this point is made even more true.

This may be a premature concern considering that it's still too early to tell. But if the footage we are being shown is any indication of the final output, Resident Evil 5 should not be considered an action-shooter (with zombies), not a survival horror.

Of course this won't differ me from getting the game- I just miss the classic horror aspect that this series created.[/quote]

It's supposed to be situational horror. Kind of like american horror (which I do not find scary at all) in which the scares come from things jumping out at you and having the odds stacked against you most of the time.

I never found the older RE's to be scary wither so I am glad the decided to pick up the Pace.

Jul 14, 2008
Yeah Its Has Gone From Survival Horror To Just Action And More Action Since Resident Evil 1-2-3, Not A Bad Thing Just That We All Miss Horror In Our Resident Evil Its Like Having A Peanut Butter Sandwich With Out Peanut Butter... I Remember When I Played Resident Evil 1 For The First Time And Saw The First Zombie When He Turned His Face I Was Tripping For The First 2 Week's That's What I Want Even Though I Like Action I need Horror..

WretchedSoul21

Superior Member
Nov 24, 2005
Siren and Silent hill should still continue to the horror genre nicely tho. Resident evil lost all its horror aspects after around Code Veronica-ish time.

May 21, 2008
Silent Hill is where the horror is at. RE has definitely turned more into an action game. Just look at the difference between RE3 and RE4, in RE3 you have the Nemesis smashing through walls every 15 minutes which i can remember scaring the crap out of me. Then in RE4 you just run around like it's Call of Duty with Zombies. I've always loved Resident Evil since i got RE1 on the Ps1 but once i played Silent Hill i was instantly hooked to the horror. SH5 is going to be the bomb

Jul 7, 2008
I, personally, found RE4 to have plenty of scary parts. Not to mention the entire game itself was a lot better than previous ones, in my opinion.

vegan_mekey

Dedicated Member
Jun 16, 2008
Graduate School, NH
I concur, though i must mention about RE4
Sitting alone, in the dark at 2am in my apartment baked outta my mind and having those hooded+cloaked guys walking up to while they mumbled was incredibly frightining

Mar 11, 2006
I am wondering if you are asking this question after just seeing some of the short clips going around previously or after watching this new trailer from E3 that is on the PSN store? That just went up today and it is about 5 times longer than any clip I have seen so far. There is some freaking creepy stuff going on there, it is not just shooting some humans that have become zombies. Of course, the chainsaw guy with the burlap bag on his head freaked me out in Resident Evil 4 and he looks worse in RE5 but there are several scenes in this new trailer that make him look tame. The trailers so far have been impressive but this new trailer is over the top.