Whether developers utilize support for keyboard and mouse

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
The usual deterrent for playing FPS games on consoles has always been the controller factor; anyone who's played an FPS on PC will understand where I come from. The FPS was born on the PC and thus gamers of this genre have become accustomed to this concept of keyboard and mouse. As a predominant PC gamer, I would love to see that most, if not all games for the ps3 are able to be played with keyboad and mouse support via usb. That would just make the ps3 the love of my life, period.

By the way, who else here would love to see keyboard/mouse support for all FPS games?

miickEe./

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
I think giving people the option is fine, as long as those playing on-line can be separated into two different camps. As a pad-player, I wouldn't want to be up against people playing via KB/M.

The thing is though, if you want to play FPS games via KB/M, use a PC. If you want to play a game that you can only get on PS3, learn to use the pad, because the chances are, the game mechanics will be tailored for the pad anyway. Things like crawling, walking, and running are easy via the analogue stick, but require multiple key-presses on the KB/M.

As a console gamer, I'd only ever use the pad. I didn't buy a reclining leather chair for nothing you know!

TwoHeadedFreak

Superior Member
Nov 29, 2005
Graham said:
I think giving people the option is fine, as long as those playing on-line can be separated into two different camps. As a pad-player, I wouldn't want to be up against people playing via KB/M.

The thing is though, if you want to play FPS games via KB/M, use a PC. If you want to play a game that you can only get on PS3, learn to use the pad, because the chances are, the game mechanics will be tailored for the pad anyway. Things like crawling, walking, and running are easy via the analogue stick, but require multiple key-presses on the KB/M.

As a console gamer, I'd only ever use the pad. I didn't buy a reclining leather chair for nothing you know!
I'm with you Graham, couldn't have said it any better myself. 8)

A

Anonymous

Bring it on !

True to say console games have been well written to work really great with game pads but ultimately limited by them as well. Keyboard & mouse are suited to different breed of gaming.. . & due to the lack of support by consoles for these devices we have seen a hole in the console market - Serious FPS shooters ! .. Interactive online RPG.. MMRPG

I'm hoping this is going to be bridged with PS3 & this is one of my key reasons to want this console - ties in with wanting Linux on PS3 :D. Im tired of upgrading my PC GFX card at the cost close to nextgen consoles..

SO BRING ON THE KB/MOUSE & UNITE THE PC GAMERS WITH CONSOLERS !

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OKlondon

Master Poster
Jan 6, 2006
It would be great to use keyboard and mouse, its so much easier to play FPS. I m also a pc gamer mainly it will be some much to play FPS on a console with K/M.

Firewarrior

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2005
Graham said:

Absolouty Right

Console FPS are Tailored to the Console

But its much Easier to Play with the Mouse its soo easy to shoot and Aim with it Dont you Think

Kinda hate the Keyboard for FPS too many Buttons To Remember :lol:

Piotr

Superior Member
Jan 11, 2006
miickEe said:
The usual deterrent for playing FPS games on consoles has always been the controller factor; anyone who's played an FPS on PC will understand where I come from. The FPS was born on the PC and thus gamers of this genre have become accustomed to this concept of keyboard and mouse. As a predominant PC gamer, I would love to see that most, if not all games for the ps3 are able to be played with keyboad and mouse support via usb. That would just make the ps3 the love of my life, period.

By the way, who else here would love to see keyboard/mouse support for all FPS games?

miickEe./
While i agree, Socom and all that noise would be easier to play with a mouse and keyboard, but... this is a console.

Think of the praticalities. You have a computer at your desk, and lo, there is space for a mouse and keyboard. But if one's Ps3 is hooked up to a T.V. in his den, such as mine will be, then well there is a problem isn't there.

There is no place to hold DOWN a mouse and keyboard, while a joy stique is held in hand and requires nothing to be flush and firm against. I'm going to be seated in my Lazyboy, the ground, or maybe a davinport. Requardless of what, they are all more or less chairs. I'm not going to be at a desk with my ps3.

In my eyes that explain the controllers for FPS

You dig?

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
I don't know about any of you lot, but when I play console games, I want to do so in a relaxed, comfy environment. My gaming den might be small, but it's perfectly formed. When I'm at the PC, I'm sat at a desk using the KB/M. I don't want to be in the same slouching position when playing games. That's why I bought the leather reclining arm chair! Gaming has never been so comfy, and because it's right next to the desk, it has a very convenient peer and pizza storage area!

mrnagy88

Forum Guru
Dec 10, 2005
Yes, but there are advantages to using a mouse, especially if you need to look around, say you are searching for a hidden item, clue or key. Also, if you are concerned that someone might be following you, and need to keep looking back... It's easier to look up/around + you have better precision for shooting distant enemies, (no need to strafe in order to aim, that's such a pain when playing console games)
I also hate how because of the innacuracy of the game-pad, they have to compensate by making the enemies aim terribly in so many games... come on, sometimes you are standing about 10 feet away, and they still can't shoot you, what's that all about?

I wouldn't use it all the time, sometimes I would just want to relax, but a mouse can help you to relax where the lack of accuracy is frustrating you. The keyboard can be used occasionally, I would just use it to talk to friends online perhaps (if Sony's online is free).

I really like the idea of some games needing the keyboard to talk to NPC's etc... Something like the old Space Quest series, where you type in commands to get the characters to do everything... it makes you think, and some people could use the practice with spelling anyway (maybe kids games?)
still, about 80% of the time, I think I would be playing games that require only the game-pad...

Graham is right though, if they include support for both, they also need to make an online place where only game-pad players go, and perhaps one with keyboard and mouse that connects with PC users :)

nick²

Superior Member
Jan 4, 2006
I don't think this will happen..

The KB and mouse is a pretty big advantage over a controller.. The mouse has the abilitiy to move almost instantly to a target, while a controller moves at a constant maximum pace... There is also a great deal more "touch" with a mouse. Its far easier to do things like snipe, or match your oppenents evasive movements..

I think the mismatch would counter the fun...

WhatRuOn

Super Bias Moderator
Dec 1, 2005
I played FPSs...period. Console or PC. I have to say I really like PC better. But I do play competively on Xbox Live in halo and other FPSs. But I also used to play counter-strike(very briefly, a good mod, not a good game, Americas Army is a much better game and free). I play Quake and Unreal on PC.

My point is nothing beats playing FPSs with the keyboard. I can do everything I could do on a console pad and more. And personally I would love to play agaisn't someone on a console that is a die-hard gamepad player. Believe in other computer forums there is big debate on which is better.

Organic_Shadow

Pots n' Pans Robot
May 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
If they can provide ways of having separate servers for kb/maus and controller, then im fine with it. I much prefer using a maus over a controller any day. I think a lot of people try too hard to act like the dont mind using a controller when they really want to use a maus/kb. They should just have a symbol next to the server name, that has a controller symbol, a maus symbol, or a maus/controller symbol for a server that allows the mixing of both.

I think allowing maus players into the mix with the controller people would be interesting, because there are a LOT of people out there that use controllers, and without you watching them you would think they had a maus/kb, because of their accuracy and speed of movement. I play Killzone online and get my butt whipped all over the place by people that I could sware are using mice and keyboards. I think it would be good to mix them so people could say "waa waa boohoo. youre using a maus and im using a controller, it's not fair" and then they say "umm...no, check the scores list. it will show you that im using a controller LOL"

WhatRuOn

Super Bias Moderator
Dec 1, 2005
Maus? Lol, I'll try not to comment on the World War II novel reference. But I think the symbol thing is alright but it might be going to far. People could be discriminated from games. Hosts and players that love playing with a controller could kick/taunt a player for using a KB just because they are losing to them.

Jan 17, 2006
Newmarket, Toronto, Ontario
I have an idea :idea:
Since aiming with the Analog thing is not as smooth as with mouse, maybe a touch pad or track ball could be usd to replace the right Analog thing

Here is ugly Drawing of the controller for those who don't know what I mean.

~~~~~/------------------------------------------\
~~~~/........................................................\
~~~/.........[]......................................^........\
~~/...........\/.......................__........................\
~~|.....[]>....<[]......[]>......[__]......[]......O.......|
~/............./\.....................................................\
~|.............[].......................................X.............|
~|......................................................................|
/....................__...................______...................\
|.................../AA\.................|TTTTT|.....................|
|..................|AAA|................|TTTTT|.....................|
|...................\AA/.................|TTTTT|.....................|
|..........................................---------......................|
|..........._________________________..............|
|........../~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\.............|
|........./~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\............|

A - Analog
T - Touchpad or Trackball

Graham

like.no.other
Dec 3, 2005
Hehe, not quite as nice as some of the renders people have been positng, but it's a great idea!

However, I actually think Nintendo have already come up with the ultimate FPS controller.

- Analogue thumbstick attachment in one hand controlling forward, back, and straff.
- "motion controller" in the other hand for the analogue "look", shoot, and other stuff like weapon select, jump etc.

esper256

Superior Member
Dec 12, 2005
After playing Counter-Strike I find that I don't want to play any kind of aiming game on the PS2 with the controller. It's just frustrating. I know what I want to do, but the technology limits me.

I think the mouse and the keyboard should see some innovation for the PS3, maybe not just get a computer mouse and keyboard, although having them work as well would be good. I'm just thinking about a keyboard and a mouse that is somehow more gamelike. Imagine something like the Revolution controller. Where in the left hand, you have an analog stick for movement, and a few buttons to sidestep and crouch or something. Then in your right hand you have a mouse. But because a mouse is a pain because it needs a pad, you make it an optical mouse that can image on a distant plane. I've seen mice that are supposed to work when held in midair. Now because holding a mouse in midair is uncomfortable, you make the mouse a glove instead. Where your index and middle fingers activate buttons when you flex them.

Even with said console FPS controller as I would design it. A keyboard mouse still has a place in games in my opinion. A lot of it has to do with online games where co-operation and chatting is important. They are just useful input devices in my opinion.

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
It's cool to see some thoughts form both camps. I acknowledge that around 75% of the time I'd be using the controller, not only in all the other games but also in FPS just for fun. If Sony does integrate a KB/M for ps3 it will facilitate for a whole other breed of gamers to crawl out from under their rocks and buy the console. Even if it isn't a conventional KB/M, somehow they could inegrate an 'FPS' pad.. :)

It could have the 'W-A-S-D' keys, maybe 'E-F-Z-A-X' for other game support, and maybe integrate alongside that a touchpad that'll act as a mouse, or maybe just provide a slick surface from which to run a mouse on. Just a thought!

I think it'd be a bold move for Sony, and if so they wouldn't be the only one.. I still have my Sega Dreamcast KB/M. :) It goes great for MMORPG games as well as FPS, and as someone else already said it could be used for Sony Online, when and if it is free.

miickEe./

Aug 26, 2005
At least you have choice. If you don't want the keyboard/mouse combo then don't buy it...simple as that.

However if your a huge fan of RTS games, and prefer FPS on the PC, then get the combo.

Also, who knows what you'll be able to do with Linux (if Sony still incorporates it). You might be like Lefein who needs a keyboard to program.

Or if there's a web browser, it would be a lot more efficient to have a keyboard in mouse.

There are some uses here, but like I said before. If you don't want the keyboard and mouse...then don't get it.

Jan 4, 2006
www.recdir.com
Graham said:

Exactly, a person with a controller going against a person with a KB/M is a very unfair advantage, because the KB/M person has his whole hand dedicated to aiming, while the controller has 1 finger, you have more control with the Keyboard/Mouse, Honestly i buy different systmems for different games and playing styles. I want to play games like MGS4 the way they were meant to be played, with a controller, not a KB/M, i mean whats the point of the ps3 if they are basically turning it into a PC by allowing you to play with KB/M, i already have a PC and a KB/M, why should people buy a ps3 to play the same way? i dont see the point.

Also, my philosophy is, if you want to play with a KB/M, then go play on a computer and dont buy a console, dont bitch that you cant play with a KB/M on a console, because thats not how they are meant to be played.

Jan 25, 2006
I think the point we need to consider is, that it truly shouldn't be all that much harder for the developers to simply include keyboard and mouse support for all FPS games on the PS3.

Sure, the games are tailored to the console, but not necessarily towards the control... or at least they don't have to be, not now.
How are we all expecting to play RTS games on our PS3s?
And yes, RTS games have been confirmed.

My whole point is, there is no excuse not to include the keyboard and mouse as an option on every FPS. And i think you'll find that it isnt too difficult to move a small table (perhaps a fold-up one?) into your room to put these accessories on.
Basically... if you want to stick to the PS3 controller, go ahead.
If you want the precision ability of a mouse and familiarity of a keyboard, you go ahead too.
All i care about is that we should have the option to choose, no matter what.
No excuses, game developers.
I mean it... :evil:

biron_w

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2006
I agree that it's much easier playing a FPS with a keyboard and mouse but I can see it being a pain with your PS3.With a PC you sit at a desk with your keyboard and mouse in front of you.With a PS3 you'll be sitting in front of a TV.Most likely on a comfy chair.It'd be quite awkward trying to use a keyboard and mouse like that!And I cant see many people wanting to set a desk for their PS3 :lol:

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
biron_w said:
I agree that it's much easier playing a FPS with a keyboard and mouse but I can see it being a pain with your PS3.With a PC you sit at a desk with your keyboard and mouse in front of you.With a PS3 you'll be sitting in front of a TV.Most likely on a comfy chair.It'd be quite awkward trying to use a keyboard and mouse like that!And I cant see many people wanting to set a desk for their PS3 :lol:
On the topic of that though, I plug my consoles through my PC, so I'll be KVMing between the PC and my LinuxPS3 so I'll be sorted on that front. :p

Dec 30, 2005
Most people's rationale seems to be for a full scale M/K combination which is not necessarily the case. For example, you wouldn't really need a full size keyboard, something like a modular number pad could do the job quite as easily without being obtrusive:

With a small analog stick/touchpad etc. for aiming hooked on; this way it's like small enough to still be on your lap.

But what is the argument here? Keyboard and Mouse will give a huge advantage over controllers....but why - if someone if used to using a controller then they will obviously be good at using it. Most times on pubs you are shot because you're out of ammo or someone shoots you in the back anyway.

And if alternative inputs are a grievance what about people who use driving wheels against people whio use controllers. To each his own; and use what's more comfortable - the only reason I game on ym PC is for MMORPG and FPS and this is simply because consoles do not cater for the control mechanisms I prefer.

Maybe there should be another one of these photoshop/design comps. where people design the ultimate controller for FPS games on the PS3?

miickEe

Superior Member
Jan 31, 2006
www.miickee.net
In response to those statements about the lack of comfort in using the KB/M while reclined in a comfortable chair in front of the tv, please be aware that this is how some of us actually sit and play games during LAN parties! :) To be profficient in using KB/M you have to be able to use it in every kind of condition, albeit in front of the tv on the sofa.

As the sticky post about HDTV suggested, there may be support for DVI, so I can use my TFT currently used in my pc, or maybe play via pc connection. Hell, that'd freaking rule. It already whoops the specs on my pc anyways, and unlike PC games, console games will ALWAYS play games to how it is expected. That's the only thing that shits me about PC.. you spend thousands of dollars on upgrades that are outdated the second they're purchased, there aint no such thing as the 'best' in computing.

Although there can't be the 'best' in computing regarding conventional PC's, Sony's PS3 'supercomputer' pisses on most specs people have in their cases and pisses on any other console out there on the market. Keep waiting fella's, have pity for those of us in Australia.. we're always the last to get everything. xD

miickEe./

biron_w

Apprentice
Jan 8, 2006
MajesticEdge said:
Again I'll ask this question and hopefully someone can answer it. IS Mouse and Keyboard announced for the PS3?
There hasn't really been much info announced about the PS3!Hopefully we will know pretty soon.