Which franchise put the Playstation brand on the map?

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Where do i start? There has been so many great franchises over the Playstation brand's illustrious 16+ year run of dominance. Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, God of War, Silent Hill just to name the ones that come to me right away. Now we have franchises the likes of Uncharted, Infamous, Killzone, and LittleBigPlanet that continue to further the brand.

I can still to this day remember getting my PS1 and it being the best day of my gaming life. I was about 13 years old and it was a random Summer day. I got the original Resident Evil with it and i was blown away. I stayed up until 3 am for probably the first time playing a game on the weekend. My friend and i were having a blast and kept jumping whenever a dog would jump through a window. Going from Super Mario to Resident Evil was new ground, it was amazing. I got Resident Evil 2 not long after and again was blown away at the greatness of the game. Resident Evil 3 was great too with the Nemesis smashing through walls. So for me i have to say that Resident Evil put the PS brand on the map.

As a whole though it might be Final Fantasy. I mean, FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX stand up against the RPGs of today. Timeless classics with endless hours of gameplay. I beat each of these games more times than i can count.

Metal Gear Solid, what an experience each of these games have been. From the first on the PS1 all the way up to Metal Gear Solid 4 on the PS3 which is my favorite game this generation. You can't say enough about what the MGS series has done for the PS brand.

Do we even need to talk about Grand Theft Auto? GTA III changed gaming on the PS2, end of story. While the PS1 made gaming cool, the PS2 with GTA III made gaming absolutely awesome.

The Gran Turismo franchise is the measuring stick by which all racing games are measured. Both sim and arcade racers. Each iteration has raised the bar and sold Playstation consoles. The latest entry Gran Turismo 5 is the pinnacle of racing perfection. If there is a flag ship exclusive series for the PS brand it has to be GT.

I have to mention Silent Hill because it's one of my favorite series, right up there with everything else. Silent Hill changed gaming for me and many others. Along with Resident Evil, Silent Hill has been a pillar for the survival horror genre. Games like Alan Wake exist today because of games like Silent Hill 1 and 2.

It's unfortunate that so many of these franchises have gone multiplat over the years. I believe every gamer should experience the games but consoles need their exclusives and we've been going in a very different direction from where we started. I'm not so sure it's a good direction. As the saying goes though, money talks and bullshit walks.

The PS brand has always been about teamwork though. Always has and always will be. No mascot, no putting all the eggs into one basket. Just great games, and they keep on coming with the PS3.

So i want to know. Which franchise do you think deserves the most credit for putting the PS brand on the map?

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
Inb4 the great debate over what's actually exclusive.
I'll have to say Metal gear has been the best because i've seen improvement in every game. I didn't like RE5 or ff13 but they are still great series.
edit: MGS4 was the game that got the ps3 going imo.

Jun 4, 2007
Unlike MS with halo and Nintendo with Mario, Sony doesn't have a title to make or break its brand. Sure GT is their best selling franchise but I never hear it associated with the Playstation as to what halo and mario is to their systems.

Edit: And that's no knock on the other consoles. It's just is what it is(to keep it short).

Last edited:

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 5641584]Unlike MS with halo and Nintendo with Mario, Sony doesn't have a title to make or break its brand.[/QUOTE]

And that's the beauty of the PS brand. :D

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 5641584]Unlike MS with halo and Nintendo with Mario,

[/QUOTE]

That could be a good and a bad thing.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 5641584]Unlike MS with halo and Nintendo with Mario, Sony doesn't have a title to make or break its brand. Sure GT is their best selling franchise but I never hear it associated with the Playstation as to what halo and mario is to their systems.

Edit: And that's no knock on the other consoles. It's just is what it is(to keep it short).[/QUOTE]

I second that. When I think of my playstation I don't think of one franchise. I think about the many many stellar titles. PS doesn't really have an icon like Mario but that's whats great, there is a large variety of games.

Jun 4, 2007
[QUOTE="TDbank24, post: 5641589]And that's the beauty of the PS brand. :D
[QUOTE="podsaurus, post: 5641597]I second that. When I think of my playstation I don't think of one franchise. I think about the many many stellar titles. PS doesn't really have an icon like Mario but that's whats great, there is a large variety of games.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]That's what I love about the psbrand.

[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 5641593]That could be a good and a bad thing.[/QUOTE]Explain please. I don't see the negative to it.

EHY893

Elite Guru
Jun 4, 2008
Well for me it would have to be Metal Gear Solid. If it wasn't for MGS4 I probably would never have bought a PS3.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
Ape Escape for being the first to FORCE YOU to use the analog sticks.
and thus setting the standard which all games have followed.

/thread :D

ddPLaNeT

Forum Elder
Apr 7, 2008
Montreal
Nice thread TD ! +rep

I personally loved Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken and Ridge Racer. I played these games soo much it's crazy. But if i had to chose one, it would be Ridge Racer. The first time i boot up my Playstation with Ridge Racer in it... wow, i was blown away !!! i used to spend many quarters at the arcade on this game...so having it at home was like a dream come true.

Anyway, since then, Ridge Racer was like the launch title for all Playstation platforms and it was kinda like a celebration of some sorts...

But, there was also many many sick ass games back then, Twisted Metal, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Chrono Cross, Alundra... are some of those.

Fenix

Elite Sage
Aug 19, 2007
Ontario, Canada
For me, each PlayStation gen had a few franchises that made it "stand out" (least for me)

PS1:
Crash bandicoot (You know, the original kick ass trilogy ;))
Spyro the Dragon (You know, the original kick ass trilogy ;))

Ps2:
Jak and Daxter Trilogy
Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Sly trilogy

PS3:
Uncharted series
Ratchet & Clank series
Infamous series

For the PS1&2 I use to play some of those games with my mother. :snicker

PS4freak

Counting Mod
Staff member
May 15, 2006
Louisiana
With Two4DaMoney on this one. There really isn't a true face of the brand. PS1 had it's own, PS2, and even PS3. It doesn't linger on the same character as it's backbone, which is great. Not saying MS and Nintendo are wrong for this, just Sony never really latched on to the nostalgia aspect that those went for. But each gen had it's own PS1 Crash, Cloud, Logan, Sweet Tooth, Spyro, and Snake for the most part. PS2 Snake, Jak & Dax, Ratchet and Clank, Kratos, and Sly are most that come to mind. PS3 Drake, Snake, Sackboy, Kratos, Cole and franchises like Killzone, GT5, Modnation, etc. Snake is the most common trend but as you can see there isn't really a set for them. Which I believe is what makes the brand so strong!

Last edited:

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="Fenix, post: 5641657]For me, each PlayStation gen had a few franchises that made it "stand out" (least for me)

PS1:
Crash bandicoot (You know, the original kick ass trilogy ;))
Spyro the Dragon (You know, the original kick ass trilogy ;))

Ps2:
Jak and Daxter Trilogy
Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Sly trilogy

PS3:
Uncharted series
Ratchet & Clank series
Infamous series

For the PS1&2 I use to play some of those games with my mother. :snicker[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes! I think each PS consoles have there big franchises but they don't remain at the forefront. Spryo was awesome and that's the game I would likely think of first when I think PS1. Ditto for R&C. R&C is still popular but the likes of Uncharted, Infamous and Resistence have taken the lead on PS3.

Good spryo games are long gone but the first 3 were big on PS2, but lost it's presence and didn't make the leap to PS2. Will these games still be around on PS4? Maybe but I think we'll see new franchises, some new faces to lead the way. They're all great games mentioned but I don't think they will front and center always. But that's good, keep everything fresh.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Some of these games being brought up i didn't even think of and i've played them all over the years. It just goes to show how diverse the PS brand has been over the years. So many exclusives, or once exclusive experiences. It's hard to keep track.

Crash Bandicoot was lots of fun. I can remember playing it at a friend's house for the first time. First PS1 game i played before i got my own PS1. Good times. Spyro was another one as well. It's crazy to think Naughty Dog has had their prints on the PS brand since the start with Crash Bandicoot and now with Uncharted.

May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Two4DaMoney, post: 5641602]T

Explain please. I don't see the negative to it.[/QUOTE]

First what do you mean by break a brand?

Having a IP that's associated with a brand doesn't necessarily mean it's essential to success. Its just one of their success criteria. If Nintendo and MS didn't have Halo and Mario it wouldn't break their brand name. Their brand may not be as strong but completely breaking it is a little far fetched. The IPs are more about setting yourself apart from your competitors.

The way I see it, there are pros and cons. A IP(and other things) could possibly strengthen and weaken a brand. A successful well known IP could result in something much more valuable.... like brand loyalty. On the down side, without one it could weaken it too. For example, on the hardware and services side, MS RROD fiasco possibly weakened its brand loyalty and Sony's PSN fiasco probably did the same. The same thing goes for stuff like XGC and other things. Not having XGC isn't gonna break the sony brand. It may weaken it a bit because of those who were waiting out for it may be a little disappointed. There is much more to MS and nintendo than Halo and Mario.

Last edited:

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="Kingpin326, post: 5641739]Gran Turismo.[/QUOTE]That's true.

However, I think people think about abundance of games when they think about PlayStation.

Just like they think about Live and Halo when they think about Xbox.

And of course 40 million Mario appearances when about Nintendo.

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
Honestly? Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, and Gran Turismo were the top 4 back in the day. I feel that these put PS on the map for the first time ever. There wasn't really a #1, though, as these franchises cover a range off genres.

Everything else became popular later on. Spyro sort of carried the platformer craze through, MGS came out much later in the PS1 lifecycle, etc.

So yeah. PlayStation never had a single flagship franchise that represented the brand. The closest that came to that was Crash Bandicoot (but that franchise went under fast) or Final Fantasy, but both of these don't apply anymore.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
[QUOTE="Sufi, post: 5641742]That's true.

However, I think people think about abundance of games when they think about PlayStation.

Just like they think about Live and Halo when they think about Xbox.

And of course 40 million Mario appearances when about Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

I know several people who own both xbox and PS3 consoles and don't own any exclusives games for each. So the truth is some gamers think about a abundance of games for both. Casual gamers are the majority now. The numbers speak for themselves.

Last edited:

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
As others have stated, it wasn't any one franchise, but rather Sonys strategy (that has only grown bigger to this day) of supporting their console with a myriad of iconic games. For me it was Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Wipeout 2097, FF7, MGS. Sony has developed so many amazing games, it's incredible. Their empire of IP and titles is totally, and without challenger, the most alluring and interesting out there. It's been 15 years that Sony has masterfully catered to my gaming needs, and right now they are on fire!

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE="Sub-stance1, post: 5641758]I know several people who own both xbox and PS3 consoles and don't own any exclusives games for each. So the truth is some gamers think about a abundance of games for both. Casual gamers are the majority now. The numbers speak for themselves.[/QUOTE]I wouldn't doubt that at all.

Silvy

Master Guru
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
This game was the game that turned the gaming world on it's head and changed the rpgs future forever. Many games strive to be what this game is and falls short.
FF7
"....Quite possibly the greatest game ever made"
"Towers over the competition in terms of graphics, sounds, story, and playability"

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Dave-The-Rave, post: 5641969]You can take all PS2 games out of the list.

The first games that made Playstation known to the world were games like Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider (remember it used to be exclusive?).[/QUOTE]

Crash Bandicoot was my first ever PS1 game (along with Demo 1 :cool:) so i'll agree with you that is what defined it for me.

Just gonna put this out there - Tomb Raider was never exclusive. I had the first one on my PC.

Edit - Can't forget Spyro either. I loved that game. Oh, and Street Racer.

And Jurassic Park:lol: