Which Game Do You Think Has The Worst Ending?

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
Which game has the most disappointing/bad ending in your opinion?

Please use spoiler tags if you go into details.

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
I have a decent number of them from this gen. Notice how all of them end with "3"

Killzone 3
A hand full of space marines not only took out an entire space fleet of the Helghast army but somehow manage to nearly wipe out the entire Helghan population with a single nuke.. I know that the radiated Petrucite had something to do with it but come on!.

Gears of War 3
The same as above. A shockwave of energy not only wipes out the Lambet but the Locust as well?. What about the humans who were also exposed to the parasite infested fuel used for years?(It was used for many things, especially during wars). The fact that humans also became Lambet is an indication that humans have already been too exposed to the parasite

Mass Effect 3
So my decisions till this point didn't matter, Okay, whatever. So Shepard dies, I was expecting it(That and it was underwhelming). But the ending overall was just as bad as The Supranos. It just ends with no real closure on a lot of things. What happens to your comrades afterward?. What will all the races stuck on Earth do from now on?. Then the secret ending you got indicates that the battle is not over.. Now Bioware is going to release DLC to explain the ending better when they could have done just that in the final product. But I don't blame them for that. I blame EA for rushing them to push the game out.

Resistance 3
They failed to answer a lot of mysteries left from the first two games. It was nice to see humanity finally taking arms again to counter the Chimera but ending the game like that was a slap in the face

Itachi

Forum Sage
Nov 13, 2010
Winterfell
Although I have even yet finished Mass Effect 2 so I can't speak for myself, but if the ending og ME3 was so bad...than how come ME3 got a ridiculous amount of critical praise and got 93 metacritic?

Last edited:

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5815539]Although I have even yet finished Mass Effect 2 so I can't speak for myself, but if the ending og ME# was so bad...than how come ME3 got a ridiculous amount of critical praise and got 93 metacritic?[/QUOTE]

I thought the ending was great, but I'm quite alone in that regard i believe.

Mike_Harradence

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
Jun 24, 2007
Reading, UK
www.psu.com
Silent Hill: Homecoming's ending wasn't particularly memorable and failed to offer much closures, especially if you rescued Wheeler, and I was somewhat disappointed with Mass Effect 3's ending, though not to the extent that some people have been.

Other than that, the endings to Tekken 6 were horrible, definitely not as good as the past games; way too short and lacking much direction. Yeah, Tekken is about the fights, and isn't a narrative-driven game, but they always did a pretty cool job of them in past games by comparison.

If I can think of more i'll add them.

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5815539]Although I have even yet finished Mass Effect 2 so I can't speak for myself, but if the ending og ME# was so bad...than how come ME3 got a ridiculous amount of critical praise and got 93 metacritic?[/QUOTE]The overall experience in Mass Effect 3 is amazing. The only thing people disliked was the ending. Also, reviewers don't really finish a game when they review it.

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
[QUOTE="itachi73378, post: 5815539]Although I have even yet finished Mass Effect 2 so I can't speak for myself, but if the ending og ME# was so bad...than how come ME3 got a ridiculous amount of critical praise and got 93 metacritic?[/QUOTE]

I thought the ending was great, but I'm quite alone in that regard i believe.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Nuvian, post: 5815576]I thought the ending was great, but I'm quite alone in that regard i believe.[/QUOTE]

Nope, i thought the ending was a very fitting end to one of the greatest franchises ever created.

From this generation it would have to be the ending of Rainbow 6 Vegas.

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
[QUOTE="Nuvian, post: 5815576]I thought the ending was great, but I'm quite alone in that regard i believe.[/QUOTE]You said the same thing 55 minutes ago.. Or are you having issues with your computer?.

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006

Because most major media outlets are personal friends of the ME3 development team. Not to mention they were the same people who helped hype the game up. These outlets are just as invested in ME3's success as ME3's team.

Mar 9, 2007
Blighttown
The Cursed Crusade takes the biscuit

Dark Souls "Kindle the Flame" ending is up there too...
I mean, you kinda expect bad endings / stories from shooters but from an RPG? A 10 second ending after 80 hours of playtime?
It made me crazy...

God of War 3's ending could have been better imo.

Last edited:

PottSie2

Apprentice
Aug 27, 2006
Rage.

So the resistance asks you to make a trip to the Citadel, to insert some codes to awaken the rest of the ARC fleet. So you get their, get the BFG .... kill a few enhanced Mutants ... insert the codes and then ......... short cut-scene and THE END. No explanation of what happens after .. why .. reeks of being rushed, it all just ends.

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
the ending to Catherine was pretty shit, the story just stops making sense and it feels like they just wanted to wing it and hope no one noticed.

well I noticed bitches!

Silo

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2007
RAGE - First Thing That Came To Mind
Doesn't even have a true End Boss. WTF
" Time to Ship this. Insert Cutscene Here. We're Done."

DOOM 4 better be THA TRUTH

Mass Effect 3 Ending is not " The Worst " But I still don't Love it in any way. Even for
what they chose for story direction, it's not even a complete ending.

ME 1 Ending - Rockin. Bring on ME 2
ME 2 Ending - BAWSE Lets DO THIS ISH
ME 3 Ending - hmmph ....

To be honest - ME3 needs a MGS 4 Style Ending - For REAL.
The Universe and characters are just too complex.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
Hannah Montana had a pretty shitty ending. :)

Rage really pissed me off. It sort of ended without me really knowing it was the end. I remember just sitting there wondering what the hell just happened.

Versus

Dedicated Member
Mar 6, 2007
Texas
I guess ima have to be the first one to mention recent FF game(s)?

FFXIII-2's ending is trash as well. No closure to anything whats so ever. They just blatantly say "to be continued" to continue the story somehow. It's particularly offensive as a longtime FF fan because FFs don't usually go into sequels to tell the whole story.

Then again the whole XIII-2 story is 110% trash anyway.

Joe Zombie

Superior Member
May 16, 2008
As much as I love the game, and I would recommend it any day, Dark Souls' endings were pretty awful. Not that the game was particularly narrative/cinematic to begin with, its just that the game would be over literally within a few minutes of killing the boss.

Feb 3, 2012
RAGE: Final mission felt like a simple side quest. (Even on nightmare) And the ending movie compared to the intro movie was really dissapointing.
Red Dead Redemption: A real WTF moment and what sucks the most you get to control John Marston's his lame son.

Sep 11, 2007
Philly
Metal Gear Solid 4

I fucking love the series, but I think it would have been better to let him kill himself, rather than come up with some stupid excuses to why he didn't have to. They tried way too hard for a happy ending, and people expected it because they didn't think they would actually follow through with the suicide that was shown in a pretty early teaser.

Same goes for Raiden. They have a dramatic "death scene" where he sacrifices himself for Snake, then in the next scene "he'll survive" I was like WHAT?

Last edited:

Sylar

Elite Sage
Aug 30, 2008
UK
[QUOTE="DreDayDetox, post: 5816457]Mass Effect 3
LA Noire, but that was because some fuckfuck on gametrailers.com forums spoiled it for everyone.[/QUOTE]

yeh L.A Noire was a bit of a let down

clean515

Elite Guru
Oct 11, 2007
[QUOTE="Shibby, post: 5816714]Metal Gear Solid 4

I fucking love the series, but I think it would have been better to let him kill himself, rather than come up with some stupid excuses to why he didn't have to. They tried way too hard for a happy ending, and people expected it because they didn't think they would actually follow through with the suicide that was shown in a pretty early teaser.

Same goes for Raiden. They have a dramatic "death scene" where he sacrifices himself for Snake, then in the next scene "he'll survive" I was like WHAT?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah they really had a chance for the perfect ending there, but didn't take it. Wouldn't call it the worst ending but... Probably the most disappointing for me. At least I knew Bioware were going to fuck it up badly with ME3.