which headset to go with?

D3seeker

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2008
Severn, Maryland
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6245153]PX4 doesnt seem to exist.[/QUOTE]
I saw in in BestBuy the other day :p Picked it up, perusd the packaging and went, I'm gonna need a headset so I'm not waking up the loved ones around to way in my late night gaming sessions.

sanfordmay

Superior Member
Jan 14, 2013
Texas
[QUOTE="D3seeker, post: 6245176]I saw in in BestBuy the other day :p Picked it up, perusd the packaging and went, I'm gonna need a headset so I'm not waking up the loved ones around to way in my late night gaming sessions.[/QUOTE]

You know it does game audio via the DS controller with any headphones with a 3.5mm male connector, right? Anyway, if you absolutely want to drop a lot of money on a gaming headset, Astro is what the cool kids get, and overall quality and design experience is better than Turtle Beach, as is the audio for the most part. Turtle Beach sets tend to favor the bass, Astros between the MixAmp decoder and their over-the-ear cans, more balanced -- though not lacking bass response. Do bear in mind though $350 for a premium gaming headset/decoder kit is not going to get you anywhere near the audio quality of a $150 set of premium over-the-ear headphones. My Skullcandy Navigators sound as good or better than my Astro A40s, and they're $99, a price inflated by Skullcandy's popularity as a brand.

Of course the audio off the controller is two-channel stereo, not surround sound. Bear in mind, though, the audio out of the A50s is not 7.1 surround. It's simulated 7.1 surround piped through two channels. Astro gear does a pretty good job with processing the 5.1 and 7.1 sound fields for two channels, but it's nothing like matrixed or LPCM multichannel audio through loudspeakers. And of course the Astro A50s are wireless and you're degrading the source audio sending it by radio, just like the DS4 controller game audio.

All my gaming headsets came free when I was writing for a games website. I like them fine, but I wouldn't have paid the kind of money they were asking, not for a dedicated gaming headset. But if you are bound and determined, the Astros, if for nothing more than the build quality and durability.

sanfordmay

Superior Member
Jan 14, 2013
Texas
[QUOTE="atrin1, post: 6245313]so my beats headphones should work? havent had a chance to try it yet[/QUOTE]

yes, for game audio they will work just fine. game + chat, i don't know if that works with headphones with inline mics meant for smartphones -- and, if so, which mics work and which don't. it may be that you can send either game audio or chat audio to the controller headphones jack but not both. in which case it wouldn't matter much if the mic works as you'd still have to output game audio to your TV or audio system. i could test it but presently my PS4 still belongs to UPS.

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
I think I'll stick w/ my old cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S3's) headphone + voice for a while. They are pretty decent stereo audio (soft plug in-ear style) very comfortable, good voice quality.

I stuck the Sony Mono bud in my ear just to check it out. Nope, 1sec later it was tossed back in the box.

I'm really hoping they do a 5.1/7.1 direct to the EXT port of the DS4. If they do that, then I'll be tempted to go that route at some point. May consider the PX4 if it gets a price drop to < $100 (or deal special.)

The reality is I'll mainly be using this at night when family members are asleep, but I do want surround sound but I'm going to limit myself to $100.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6245332]I think I'll stick w/ my old cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S3's) headphone + voice for a while. They are pretty decent stereo audio (soft plug in-ear style) very comfortable, good voice quality.

I stuck the Sony Mono bud in my ear just to check it out. Nope, 1sec later it was tossed back in the box.

I'm really hoping they do a 5.1/7.1 direct to the EXT port of the DS4. If they do that, then I'll be tempted to go that route at some point. May consider the PX4 if it gets a price drop to < $100 (or deal special.)

The reality is I'll mainly be using this at night when family members are asleep, but I do want surround sound but I'm going to limit myself to $100.[/QUOTE]

Can blutooth do that? Transmit all those channels in high quality?

atrin1

Apprentice
Mar 6, 2013
[QUOTE="sanfordmay, post: 6245318]yes, for game audio they will work just fine. game + chat, i don't know if that works with headphones with inline mics meant for smartphones -- and, if so, which mics work and which don't. it may be that you can send either game audio or chat audio to the controller headphones jack but not both. in which case it wouldn't matter much if the mic works as you'd still have to output game audio to your TV or audio system. i could test it but presently my PS4 still belongs to UPS.[/QUOTE]

cool thanks. if i have the camera, that couldn't be used for chat could it?? then i could just use my beats for audio

Shau - Kenshin

Dedicated Member
Nov 23, 2005
OK PEEPS HEADS UP!!

I purchased the PX4 two days ago and am trying to connect it via bluetooth to the PS4. NO BUENO. It says that it cannot support the device connecting to it.

Yeah ..... $#!+snacks!! 6.1 surround with the connector was going to be ABSOLUTELY thrilling .... until it DID NOT WORK. Now to be fair, I am still re-re-reading the instructions to see if there is something that i have missed. If not, we may have a problem, that gamestop is gonna give me my $160 back on as we still have the receipt... I will play around with this and try to give updates if I get this thing workin ...

Updates to follow Team "Four" Star ^_^ (heh ...... couldn't resist)

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 6245356]Can blutooth do that? Transmit all those channels in high quality?[/QUOTE]

Bluetooth 2.1 should be able to do it. It can support 3Mb/s data throughput. That's more than sufficient (and more than what's encoded on BluRay movies HD lossless audio tracs today.)

sanfordmay

Superior Member
Jan 14, 2013
Texas
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6245332]...but I'm going to limit myself to $100.[/QUOTE] Yeah, very reasonable. I mean you know what kind of near-audiophile quality stereo cans you can get on sale or at online discount for $350? They're about like getting whole new ears. $350 for a gaming headset, well that's maybe $250 for the GAMING part and a hundred bucks for the HEADSET part. And they're not even $100 headphones, anyway.

I'd qualify the thing about Bluetooth 2.1 as it's 3Mb/s maximum data throughput, though still it should be technically possible even at real-world throughput. It depends on how much of the real-world bandwidth has to be allocated, or just is allocated, for other controller functions.

And as far as the PX4s not working via Bluetooth, I thought no Bluetooth headsets will work until the headset compatibility update is released. I could have that wrong though.

Last edited:

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="sanfordmay, post: 6245370]Yeah, very reasonable. I mean you know what kind of near-audiophile quality stereo cans you can get on sale or at online discount for $350? They're about like getting whole new ears. $350 for a gaming headset, well that's maybe $250 for the GAMING part and a hundred bucks for the HEADSET part. And they're not even $100 headphones, anyway.

I'd qualify the thing about Bluetooth 2.1 as it's 3Mb/s maximum data throughput, though still it should be technically possible even at real-world throughput. It depends on how much of the real-world bandwidth has to be allocated, or just is allocated, for other controller functions.

And as far as the PX4s not working via Bluetooth, I thought no Bluetooth headsets will work until the headset compatibility update is released. I could have that wrong though.[/QUOTE]

I definitely don't expect Audiophile quality out of these, LOL.

The BW for the gaming input is not likely to exceed 200Kbps - That can give you 2Kb of data every 1ms. More than sufficient for what controller needs.

As far as PX4's are concerned. Turtle Beach had announced that their PS4 Headphones (this includes PX4) would work day one, even though Sony's Pulse / Pulse Elite would not.

Not sure what the issue is.

sanfordmay

Superior Member
Jan 14, 2013
Texas
[QUOTE="TAZ427, post: 6245385]I definitely don't expect Audiophile quality out of these, LOL.

The BW for the gaming input is not likely to exceed 200Kbps - That can give you 2Kb of data every 1ms. More than sufficient for what controller needs.

As far as PX4's are concerned. Turtle Beach had announced that their PS4 Headphones (this includes PX4) would work day one, even though Sony's Pulse / Pulse Elite would not.

Not sure what the issue is.[/QUOTE]

There are a fair number of people posting to Turtle Beach's Facebook page saying they can't get it to work, either. I checked the link to Turtle Beach's PS4 setup instructions for PX4 and there's all about selecting optical out for main audio and headphones for chat audio and that the chat cable is required to connect to the controller but nary a word about Bluetooth pairing the PX4 with the PS4. It looks to me it's optical out to the transmitter box and chat cable from the transmitter box to the DS4 headphone jack, but nothing about any sort of Bluetooth support for PS4 right now. And there's this on the product page "*PS4 compatibility subject to testing with final retail version of console."

TAZ427

Elite Guru
Nov 29, 2007
[QUOTE="sanfordmay, post: 6245395]There are a fair number of people posting to Turtle Beach's Facebook page saying they can't get it to work, either. I checked the link to Turtle Beach's PS4 setup instructions for PX4 and there's all about selecting optical out for main audio and headphones for chat audio and that the chat cable is required to connect to the controller but nary a word about Bluetooth pairing the PX4 with the PS4. It looks to me it's optical out to the transmitter box and chat cable from the transmitter box to the DS4 headphone jack, but nothing about any sort of Bluetooth support for PS4 right now. And there's this on the product page "*PS4 compatibility subject to testing with final retail version of console."[/QUOTE]

Well that sounds pretty damn shitty to me. I hope they get this straightened out for all those who bought these.

D3seeker

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2008
Severn, Maryland
I've heard enough negativity towards TurtleBeach to stay away. Besides the obvious bits shared (and maybe I'm jumping the gun) how does one connect a normal set of headphones to these consoles? I know about the output on the DS4 but besides requiring a converter plug As stated i wouldn't expect the quality to be up to par. I could theoretically use my 668B's till I get something closed-back.

And justt because audio is being sent wirelessly doesn't mean it's automatically degraded. That would depend on the transmiter/reciever and DAC among other environmental variables.

Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Shau - Kenshin, post: 6245359]OK PEEPS HEADS UP!!

I purchased the PX4 two days ago and am trying to connect it via bluetooth to the PS4. NO BUENO. It says that it cannot support the device connecting to it.

Yeah ..... $#!+snacks!! 6.1 surround with the connector was going to be ABSOLUTELY thrilling .... until it DID NOT WORK. Now to be fair, I am still re-re-reading the instructions to see if there is something that i have missed. If not, we may have a problem, that gamestop is gonna give me my $160 back on as we still have the receipt... I will play around with this and try to give updates if I get this thing workin ...

Updates to follow Team "Four" Star ^_^ (heh ...... couldn't resist)[/QUOTE]

Page 17 of the user manual for the PS4 config:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/assets/products/414/px4_user_guide_111113.pdf

Bluetooth is on pg. 22

Here is something on their product page for the PX4:
*PS4 compatibility subject to testing with final retail version of console. - See more at: http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ps4-headsets/ear-force-px4/414#sthash.ZUD5gnEc.dpuf