Which motherboard to get?

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
There are so many of them and I'm getting lost! I came across these two motherboards one support Intel Lan and second doesn't. I was reading online it says Intel Lan is better but I don't have much information and for me, it will be playing games and simple Internet browsing nothing crazy. Here is the name of the two motherboards. Thanks for any help.

ASUS Prime X570-Pro Ryzen 3 AM4 with PCIe Gen4, Dual M.2, HDMI, SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 Gen 2 ATX Motherboard
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS AMD AM4 X570 ATX gaming motherboard

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I'd tell you to get the the TUF gaming. You appear to be doing casual things with the PC, so the Prime isn't needed. While the Inter Lan is cool, with the TUF gaming you'll be getting Wifi too! And its cheaper! I'm currently using a Asus B450 mobo and was thinking of upgrading to an X570, but I'm waiting to see what the Ryzen 4000 series has to offer. Have you decided what Ryzen CPU you were going with? @Syphon_Filter

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
I'm using that same Tuf Gaming MB and only complaint is that it lacks a USB-C header for the front control panel so I've got a useless USB-C port, but that's really minor.

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Why don't you use port 17 header on your mobo? It doesn't work? If you scroll down on "Overview", it says its USB 3.2 Gen2. Pins don't line up?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608574/asus-x570-tuf-gaming-plus-(wi-fi)-amd-am4-atx-motherboard
Yeah, the Type C has a different port header on motherboards, apparently. Looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Header-Type-C-Extension-Cable-15inch/dp/B07DV86Y4Z

I knew it didn't have it when I bought it so wasn't a surprise. The MB works fine though. Have a 3700X CPU with a RTX 2080 Super and 16 GB 3600 MHz RAM. Have no complaints. Even horribly optimized games like AC run pretty well.

Last edited:

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'd tell you to get the the TUF gaming. You appear to be doing casual things with the PC, so the Prime isn't needed. While the Inter Lan is cool, with the TUF gaming you'll be getting Wifi too! And its cheaper! I'm currently using a Asus B450 mobo and was thinking of upgrading to an X570, but I'm waiting to see what the Ryzen 4000 series has to offer. Have you decided what Ryzen CPU you were going with? @Syphon_Filter
Even WIFI isn't needed for me, and the CPU I will be getting is AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM4 105W. I just wanted a solid MB so no troubles.

I'm using that same Tuf Gaming MB and only complaint is that it lacks a USB-C header for the front control panel so I've got a useless USB-C port, but that's really minor.
I have an old PC and I have no idea what is USB-C? looooooooooooooool

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Yeah, the Type C has a different port header on motherboards, apparently. Looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Header-Type-C-Extension-Cable-15inch/dp/B07DV86Y4Z

I knew it didn't have it when I bought it so wasn't a surprise. The MB works fine though. Have a 3700X CPU with a RTX 2080 Super and 16 GB 3600 MHz RAM. Have no complaints. Even horribly optimized games like AC run pretty well.
The more you know! And when you done with that 2080 Super, we'll take it over here, lmao!

Even WIFI isn't needed for me, and the CPU I will be getting is AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM4 105W. I just wanted a solid MB so no troubles.

I have an old PC and I have no idea what is USB-C? looooooooooooooool
Just a newer standard for USB. Most phones use 'em now. At least my Note 8 does. And yeah, you'll be fine with the TUF gaming Motherboard. You might wanna look into a Ryzen 3700x if you're just gaming. A 3950 cost more and will be overkill for what you're using it for. But if you're trying to like "future-proof" then go for it! Good luck with your journey!

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
The more you know! And when you done with that 2080 Super, we'll take it over here, lmao!

Just a newer standard for USB. Most phones use 'em now. At least my Note 8 does. And yeah, you'll be fine with the TUF gaming Motherboard. You might wanna look into a Ryzen 3700x if you're just gaming. A 3950 cost more and will be overkill for what you're using it for. But if you're trying to like "future-proof" then go for it! Good luck with your journey!
I want a PC to survive for 6 or 7 years. And I think this is a good CPU not only for gaming maybe for video editing and I do little work that's why. Thanks for the advice.

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
This motherboard is driving me crazy. I want to buy ram and newegge have them on sale G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZR.
I went to asus website and read the manual ram support of TUF GAMING X570-PLUS and the list doesn't show this ram on their list nor CORSAIR 32GB. what can I use?

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
This motherboard is driving me crazy. I want to buy ram and newegge have them on sale G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZR.
I went to asus website and read the manual ram support of TUF GAMING X570-PLUS and the list doesn't show this ram on their list nor CORSAIR 32GB. what can I use?
To be honest, you should still be fine. Ram usually does fine even when it isn't on the QVL. For instance, I'm using the 450 motherboard and my set of G.Skill Aegis RAM isn't listed on the list for the motherboard, but I was able to overclock the RAM using the XMP (D.O.C.P for Asus) in the bios and everything is running fine. At worst if you ran into trouble (Which I'm 99% positive you won't) you can always switch out the RAM then. Grab that sale set of sticks!

The only thing I'd tell you to look for is a set of 3600mhz RAM since you're getting a really highend CPU in the 3950. Ryzen performance works a lot better with higher speed rated RAM. BUT if that isn't in your budget, the 3200 will still be fine.

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
To be honest, you should still be fine. Ram usually does fine even when it isn't on the QVL. For instance, I'm using the 450 motherboard and my set of G.Skill Aegis RAM isn't listed on the list for the motherboard, but I was able to overclock the RAM using the XMP (D.O.C.P for Asus) in the bios and everything is running fine. At worst if you ran into trouble (Which I'm 99% positive you won't) you can always switch out the RAM then. Grab that sale set of sticks!

The only thing I'd tell you to look for is a set of 3600mhz RAM since you're getting a really highend CPU in the 3950. Ryzen performance works a lot better with higher speed rated RAM. BUT if that isn't in your budget, the 3200 will still be fine.
I will thanks. It just confused me with this ram issue. I was reading Asus manual of TUF motherboard and I couldn't see it in the 3d Gen CPU Ram support and it got me crazy.

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com

You are going to be my helper lool. The Front Panel Connectors on the motherboard looks confusing. Any advice? I haven't got my new case yet as I'm lost with them as well.

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
You are going to be my helper lool. The Front Panel Connectors on the motherboard looks confusing. Any advice? I haven't got my new case yet as I'm lost with them as well.
I'm still very much a novice, but I've been looking and paying attention to Linus Tech Tips board so I can continue to grow my knowledge, lol. What do you find confusing about them? Might look up a tutorial on YT depending the problem you're facing or if I can understand your inquiry better.What kind of case did you buy?

Syphon_Filter

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'm still very much a novice, but I've been looking and paying attention to Linus Tech Tips board so I can continue to grow my knowledge, lol. What do you find confusing about them? Might look up a tutorial on YT depending the problem you're facing or if I can understand your inquiry better.What kind of case did you buy?
The case I will buy on Tuesday and its CORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB Mid-Tower ATX Smart Case, Black. The Front Panel Connectors they are not colored but I looked closer to the Panel Connectors and words are written in very small text and pins 2 up and 2 down lool. I just want to make sure were to plug the HDD, POWER + and etc. I will upload a picture and yeah, I keep watching videos on how to connect Panel Connectors loooooooooooooool. This is the hardest part of the building PC!

Last edited:

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
The case I will buy on Tuesday and its CORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB Mid-Tower ATX Smart Case, Black. The Front Panel Connectors they are not colored but I looked closer to the Panel Connectors and words are written in very small text and pins 2 up and 2 down lool. I just want to make sure were to plug the HDD, POWER + and etc. I will upload a picture and yeah, I keep watching videos on how to connect Panel Connectors loooooooooooooool. This is the hardest part of the building PC!
lol, You'll be fine. And you connect the HDD with the sata ports and power. Just don't overthink it and follow the guides or manuals step by step.

Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
lol, You'll be fine. And you connect the HDD with the sata ports and power. Just don't overthink it and follow the guides or manuals step by step.
Thanks I'm almost done my gaming PC. I just have a question as the guy at Canada Computers confused me. I wanted to buy Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core 3.5 but he says don't get that and get instead RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8 GHz. Which CPU do you recommend for gaming? As I said I just play games and brows online and sometimes I do convert a small video to different format thanks.

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Thanks I'm almost done my gaming PC. I just have a question as the guy at Canada Computers confused me. I wanted to buy Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core 3.5 but he says don't get that and get instead RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8 GHz. Which CPU do you recommend for gaming? As I said I just play games and brows online and sometimes I do convert a small video to different format thanks.
Ryzen 7 3700x or the Ryzen 9 3900x. As I said a little above, the 3700x is more than enough for gaming and web browsing. But if you plan to keep the PC for more than 5 years, the 3900x should be fine since you have more cores with that one. You'd get 12 instead of the 8 the 3700 has. But most games today use single core performance.

Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
Ryzen 7 3700x or the Ryzen 9 3900x. As I said a little above, the 3700x is more than enough for gaming and web browsing. But if you plan to keep the PC for more than 5 years, the 3900x should be fine since you have more cores with that one. You'd get 12 instead of the 8 the 3700 has. But most games today use single core performance.
Thanks I will be getting the 3900X it should be ok for 7 years as mine i7 3820 is running until now. If I had the money I would have bought the 3950X but no money loool.

$Greatness$

Master Poster
Sep 4, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Thanks I will be getting the 3900X it should be ok for 7 years as mine i7 3820 is running until now. If I had the money I would have bought the 3950X but no money loool.
I'm glad you're getting the 3900. The 3950 would've been you just burning money for no reason, lol. And the 3900x should last you at least a decade if I'm being honest. I'm jealous, lol!

With this Corona nonsense going on, I'm thinking I should upgrade my GPU now instead of waiting for Amphere(nVidia) and Big Navi (AMD). It's really messing up a lot of stugg this crazy virus. Don't understand why people out here eating bats!

Jan 17, 2007
Canada, Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'm glad you're getting the 3900. The 3950 would've been you just burning money for no reason, lol. And the 3900x should last you at least a decade if I'm being honest. I'm jealous, lol!

With this Corona nonsense going on, I'm thinking I should upgrade my GPU now instead of waiting for Amphere(nVidia) and Big Navi (AMD). It's really messing up a lot of stugg this crazy virus. Don't understand why people out here eating bats!
Thank you and today I finished building my gaming PC. Yea I got the 3900 and it's flying lool. For me, no build for another 7 years maybe and I don't know what Nvidia will be coming up. My final upgrade will be the monitor it cost 1799 Asus 4k. I will save some money for that and get it before the end of this year. Here is a picture of my pc I wish I had house and got bigger case and install on it all th RGB fans!