Which PlayStation exclusives reinforce the notion that single-player matters?

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I have to say the Persona series of games come to mind when thinking about worthwhile single-player experiences. Not to mention when I first got into the series with Persona 3 FES, that even back then, it struck me as a perfect fit for the PlayStation brand.

Anyways, I guess this is just another way of asking about your favorite single-player games, though specifically when it comes to those you've played on a PlayStation console. Games you might use as ammunition when arguing about the importance of single-player. Maybe it's a game that everyone seems to enjoy (God of War, Uncharted etc) or one that, for whatever reason, is less appreciated (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls).

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
My top games are pretty much single player affairs.

The Last of Us
Uncharted 2
MGS4
Valkyria Chronicles
Mirrors Edge (not technically a PS affair, but it is the last game on my list, and rounds off this list nicely :))

I mean, the only reinforcement for why single player games matter is Mass Effect 2. It doesn't matter what someones personal list looks like, Mass Effect 2 is the exemplary case of why single player games matter.

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
Naughty Dog's games are the capstone, in my mind, for mainstream single player excellence. Uncharted and TLOU took story telling and gameplay to incredible heights.

I've been playing a lot of Ubisoft games of late and I have to give them props for creating some top notch single player games. Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, and Watch Dogs series may not be at the top of anyone's list of all time great games, but they are still pretty damn good in single player modes.

But I think ultimately may be depend more and more on indies for single player games outside of Sony's first party and publisher's like Ubi. I'm kind of cool with that. I finished Divinity Original Sin 2 and was amazed that it was created by a small studio and a kickstarter fund.

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
My top games are pretty much single player affairs.

The Last of Us
Uncharted 2
MGS4
Valkyria Chronicles
Mirrors Edge (not technically a PS affair, but it is the last game on my list, and rounds off this list nicely :))

I mean, the only reinforcement for why single player games matter is Mass Effect 2. It doesn't matter what someones personal list looks like, Mass Effect 2 is the exemplary case of why single player games matter.
You forgot to mention Grandia! Commit sudoku!

Actually, all of the games you mentioned are PS3 releases.

Nov 20, 2017
Barcelona
Most of them. Playstation exclusives are usually aligned with the single-player side of gaming. Like Shawn Layden said "that's the thing we do well". Shadow of the Colossus or The Last of Us will forever be remembered but does anyone still remember Starhawk or MAG? So yes, most Playstation exclusives reinforce the notion that single-player matters.

And, if you just wanted a video game title as an answer... Shadow of the Colossus. Rush3d out!

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
You forgot to mention Grandia! Commit sudoku!

Actually, all of the games you mentioned are PS3 releases.
I KNOW! This is why i dislike lists!

Oblivion, Mass Effect, and Grandia all exist inside the same "Fiji's Top games" bubble

Problem is also... it's kinda hard to use it to reinforce your idea when so few people have actually heard of it :p

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
I KNOW! This is why i dislike lists!

Oblivion, Mass Effect, and Grandia all exist inside the same "Fiji's Top games" bubble
Problem is also... it's kinda hard to use it to reinforce your idea when so few people have actually heard of it :p
Haha, I like that.

"Sir, the latest data shows our game has sold millions!"
"Yes, but only people who post on forums really know about it."

Vyse

Extreme Poster
Mar 27, 2006
Most of them. Playstation exclusives are usually aligned with the single-player side of gaming. Like Shawn Layden said "that's the thing we do well". Shadow of the Colossus or The Last of Us will forever be remembered but does anyone still remember Starhawk or MAG? So yes, most Playstation exclusives reinforce the notion that single-player matters.

And, if you just wanted a video game title as an answer... Shadow of the Colossus. Rush3d out!
That's a good answer. Games like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII are some of the most revered titles when PlayStation first hit the scene and will outlast any brand-new online multiplayer phenomenon.