Who else is concerned?

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
Ok so i had my ps3 for about 8 months before the blu ray drive stopped working and it is currently getting refurbished (thankfully it was under warranty)...but the thing that gets me is i will get back my ps3 with NO warranty....shouldn't there be a standard for those who have ps3's that break within the warranty period, that ensures another warranty for a certain period after receiving the refurbished product

The reason i ask is i want to have my Ps3 for years and years and i plan to get heavy use out of it, and i dont want to have to fork out 300 dollars (Australian) everytime the bloody thing breaks down....and the point is i do believe it will break again...it seems to me there is just too much technology in the ps3 that eventually something has gotta give and a lot of these blu ray drive failure threads have been popping up lately, and who knows what will happen a few years down the line for all we know most launch models could be toast by then

That is just one thing that gets to me, and i would like to know what warranty does sony offer and at what price? any suggestions, cheers

May 17, 2006
Sony give out those little booklets in most of there games now, its like insurance or something, think its called continueus play, basicly it covers ure ps3 from damage, failure, and all that, for a certain price, check ure game cases

xx

Feb 23, 2007
Yeah i can see why you are worried but really you shouldn't be because the console does last a while and as long as you keep it in good condition you shouldn't be worried about losing the ps3 :p But yeah it does happen sometimes but i have 2 ps3's and they work just fine and they are on for most of the day.

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
Hi guys! I would def be interested in signing up for the insurance for the PS3 as mine is now out of warranty. But I will say this, I have an original 20gig launch system with an upgraded 60 gig HDD installed in it, and I have about 36 PS3 games now, at 60$ a pop the price of the software and add-ons has outweighed the price of the PS3 for me. If it breaks I would have no choice but to go buy another one straight away. Maybe then I would send the other in for repair. But I feel the chances of getting another 20gig system would be low. What do you guys think? I've heard they don't send you your "OLD" system back, but a new 40gig or something like that.

May 17, 2006
they will tell you if you are getting your "old" system back, or if they are going to replace it, however, repairing the old system takes longer, so its best just to get a replacement.

May 29, 2008
I believe that after Sony fixes a PS3, they themselves give a warranty to back up their work. But it is only for 3 months

Jul 24, 2008
If breakage worries people that much, just pick up more warranty coverage before the manufacturers' warranty expires. You can pick up 3yrs extended SonyCare warranty for WAY cheaper than the major big box retailers warranty programs. Just piece of mind for some people. I myself, have the extended manufacturers warranty (4yrs total warranty).

ps3isthebestobe

Superior Member
Jan 23, 2008
lol yea i know my mindset isnt the best i am still very pro-ps3, i just want my gaming years ahead of me to be solidified, and i think i will definately look into that warranty by sony....the manufacterers warranty is 3 years isnt it??

Mar 24, 2007
Your House.
[QUOTE="VintageElise, post: 0]My PS is in pretty bad condition.

1. Tipped rice pudding over it.
2. Water over it
3. Scratches.
4. Freezes

Also, out of warrenty :lol:[/quote]

lol silly guy,pudding isnt for ps3 :p just cause its got holes in doesnt mean you have to feed and water it.

XD

Dedicated Member
Jul 26, 2006
[QUOTE="ps3isthebestobe, post: 0]Ok so i had my ps3 for about 8 months before the blu ray drive stopped working and it is currently getting refurbished (thankfully it was under warranty)...but the thing that gets me is i will get back my ps3 with NO warranty....shouldn't there be a standard for those who have ps3's that break within the warranty period, that ensures another warranty for a certain period after receiving the refurbished product

The reason i ask is i want to have my Ps3 for years and years and i plan to get heavy use out of it, and i dont want to have to fork out 300 dollars (Australian) everytime the bloody thing breaks down....and the point is i do believe it will break again...it seems to me there is just too much technology in the ps3 that eventually something has gotta give and a lot of these blu ray drive failure threads have been popping up lately, and who knows what will happen a few years down the line for all we know most launch models could be toast by then

That is just one thing that gets to me, and i would like to know what warranty does sony offer and at what price? any suggestions, cheers[/quote]

May i ask what model? My 60GB did the same

Mar 24, 2007
Your House.
[QUOTE="VintageElise, post: 0]B....But, I want it to grow big and strong!![/quote]
fine fine just make sure it gets it 5 a day, and itl grow up big and strong, just watch out when it gets into mating season oh boy you dont want to be near it then.

MacP

Veteran
Jun 27, 2008
I know in the uk sony have something called continous play where you pay £4.99 a month after the warranty has finished, your are protected for damage and even accidental damage. You can try asking sony in the USA or whereever your from if they do this sort of protection. Here is the link http://continuousplay.co.uk/