Why are some gamers obsessed with gore in games?

Versus

Dedicated Member
Mar 6, 2007
Texas
I mean what's the deal? I hear soo much that if a certain game doesn't have enough gore then they'll claim they won't even buy it. How is blood/gore supposed to make the game soo much better?

Like in Ninja Gaiden 3 people on here acting like it's the end of world if it's not a bloodfest. But this complaint goes to many other games too so what gives?

I personally don't like overdone gore, it takes me out of the game and just looks ridiculous. I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat.

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
Actually fatalities do mean nothing. Real fans of Mortal Kombat play the game for the fighting not the blood, which is in tournament games, they almost always skip fatalities and commentators often criticize the game for being too bloody.

MGSfan

Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2005
Mental illness? :p nah just kidding but I guess it makes games more satisfying for example God of war wouldn't be the same without all the gore :D

May 5, 2011
USA
Some games gore makes it all the better and other games don't need gore at all. Take God of War and Ninja Gaiden, they don't have to have a lot of blood and guts, but they do. Having it in a greek mythology game and a ninja game just make the games more realistic.

Fon

Master Guru
Oct 5, 2009
@Home
It has to do with the theme of the game in question. Like others have said, God of War and Ninja Gaiden are examples of games that require gore to be relevant.

daLa

Veteran
May 22, 2006
www.myspace.com
For me it's not exactly about a game being gory, but I know FPS shooters like COD & BF don't have enough gore, thing is that gore makes it much more realistic. Like in crappy war movies when a bomb goes off and a dude just gets fired away to the sky; but on a proper war movie a bomb goes off and dude gets torn apart.

Last edited:

wesmore24

Forum Elder
Sep 9, 2010
@the bball court
For me, it makes the game more intense. Also, games that have a lot of blood and gore seem more adult, versus fighting games that barely have it. In Mortal Kombat, blood and gore makes the game both satisfying and interesting because we like to see our opponents dead and covered and blood when we win, it's like a sense of accomplishment.

TOM2x

Dedicated Member
Apr 27, 2007
Historically speaking, Mortal Kombat has always been a gore fest. The level of gore is warranted in that game in my opinion as it reflects in the characters as well. Let's face it, it's the core of a violent fantasy fighting game. Games like shooters and games where you're slicing and dicing with swords and edged weapons should have the appropriate level of blood in my opinion. That being said, they should also be appropriately Rated by the ESRB as well. Games with blood just for the heck of it, not so much. Especially in horror games like Resident evil, or God of War and COD and Battlefield 3. The gore level in those games to most people are what makes the violence depicted seem more realistic. I personally don't think it has to be in every game. I consider war games especially more of a simulation anyway. so the blood spray when I empty a clip into someone should be there. It serves to solidify the experience. I think it does actually serve a purpose so that maybe if a younger person sees the blood in a shooter they kind of get an impression that shooting and killing someone isn't a nice experience. Maybe it serves to make someone think twice about wanting to draw blood in the real world? There have been many studies about it. It's the same as seeing a war movie from the 1940s and then seeing a very real depiction such as Saving private Ryan. It made me think, "Wow, how horrific war really is" and not glorifying it. Interstingly, the Three Stooges films were actually one of the early examples of this phenomenon. and how it can have an effect on the kids that were watching it even back then. For example, Moe drops a brick onto Curlys head. BONK! or some comical sound effect would ensue. In real life kids would try to emulate this and would quickly see that in reality it results in a someone getting a bloody head injury and stitches in the emergency room. If the three stooges films accurately depicted what would happen to someone getting hit in the head and having their nose twisted with a pair of pliers, it would have been far less funny and far more disturbing just for the sake of being disturbing. Just some thoughts.

Zswordsman

Dedicated Member
May 1, 2007
Tacoma
It depends but gore should be added since it is realistic. I mean when a grenade pops right in front of you or your teammates you dont just fall to the floor and die. All that shrapnel tears through the flesh. FPS should have more gore. But realistic gore. Not i just shot a shotgun round and this dude turned into a pool of blood type of gore.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
[QUOTE="rbrtchng, post: 5727392]Actually fatalities do mean nothing. Real fans of Mortal Kombat play the game for the fighting not the blood, which is in tournament games, they almost always skip fatalities and commentators often criticize the game for being too bloody.[/QUOTE]

not at all true until later games were made. The first Mortal Kombat was well known and favored because of the blood and gore in the game from the Fatalities, it's always been like that. The hardcore tourny players are so few to make such a comment, without the actual core gamers that enjoy the fatalities, this game wouldn't have gotten this far at all. The 2nd mortal kombat was pretty much in the same position. The fighting got a bit more technical with the third installment of the game, then the tournament players start coming into the picture a lot more. The basis of mortal kombat will always be the bloodly moves and gory fatalities.

blood and gore in games, give a sense that you are doing a lot more damage, if gives the feeling and visuals that you are kicking some serious butt.

Last edited:
May 5, 2011
USA
[QUOTE="reasonable_doubt, post: 5727759]I use to be obsessed with blood and gores, until I took an arrow to the knee.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this joke. I see it all the time in site comments.

Sorry, off topic.

Acid Snake

Super Elite
Sep 7, 2008
[QUOTE="The Black Wolf, post: 5727792]I don't understand this joke. I see it all the time in site comments.

Sorry, off topic.[/QUOTE] You're better off not knowing.

Anyway, I like gore in my games. There's no good reason why games with intense violence shouldn't have gore.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
It's satisfying and realistic. Why is gore a problem? I don't care for unrealistic gore...it's about getting it right. Extreme gore doesn't bother me...but I've noticed it bothers some people.

I don't have a problem with people that are bothered by gore.

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[QUOTE=".RAID3N., post: 5727812]I remember when Zipper changed blood to 'grayish dust' in Combined Assault. There was a huge uproar from the 'vets' in the game. They did it to obtain a Teen rating.

But yeah, I don't much care about gore.[/QUOTE]
Something like that I wouldn't care about much.

But a game like Oblivion where you're supposedly slashing someone in half with your big ass sword and all you see is a person flying 10 feet away dead without any bruises...it starts to annoy you a little.

Noxia

Forum Sage
Dec 21, 2008
England
[QUOTE="The Black Wolf, post: 5727792]I don't understand this joke. I see it all the time in site comments.

Sorry, off topic.[/QUOTE]

Just another overused meme

MedicDog

Forum Sage
Jul 17, 2008
[QUOTE="unicron7, post: 5728459]Now if a game doesn't full on homoerotic gang rape every other couple of minutes...it's a non purchase from me. Can't get enough of that gang rape.[/QUOTE]

I like you.

DarkVincent07

Trying not to break stuff...
Mar 4, 2008
Sydney
I have removed four posts in this thread. If you have a problem with one another, report it or PM a staff member and we can see what we can do from there.

Jokes are fine, but don't be harassing each other

Last edited:

Wrath

Master Guru
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
None of you guys get the deeper meaning behind our fascination of gore and violence.

As you may have noticed it is mostly men that are drawn to such themes while women shy away pretty easily. This is because of our past, our ancestors. It's the concept of hunting and gathering. We as a species were used to hunt down our prey with spears and primitive swords just to stay alive. We were MUCH tougher back then as our main strength was brute force.

Now, tens of thousands of years later, evolution has guided us into a completely different direction and we no longer go out and sneak up on saber-toothed tigers to ensure our survival. Instead we work, buy food and relax. However, we are still the same species as before as we all descend from our primeval ancestors. We still have that hunting and gathering theme inside of us, some people more so than others. And since we do not participate in these kinds of actions anymore (at least officially) we shifted our attraction toward them to virtual realities, such as games.

Games with strong, realistic and violent subject matters are basically our substitute for our hunting past of our ancestors. We endorse it because we still have it in us, albeit in a much more streamlined way than before.