Why do things go wrong when I try to lose weight?

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
So I decided to go on a diet and lose all these pounds I have on. I went on a diet and 2 weeks later went to join the gym which is about a 15 minute walk away from me. When I got their it turns out that the gym closed down because they didn't pay their lease or some other gym bought it. My sister than tells me about another gym in the area which is only one short bus ride away. When I get their the women behind the counter tells me they have a 3 day trial card and she also told me that I DON'T have to pay every month for a year for the membership. Three days later when im about to buy the damn membership the lady says "you have to pay for every month for a year" when I told her that she said that I didn't have to she denied it.

So I don't know what to do now. If anyone is interested I was using the eleptical to lose weight. Atleast I lost 5 pounds. If anyone is wondering in the 2 weeks between my diet and going to the gym I was just jogging but I find doing eleptical much easier because I can actually go longer, know how many calories im losing and not get tired as fast.

Ps. I live in toronto and the gym that closed down was RHINOS GYM and the gym that I went to afterwards was SYSTEM FITNESS (on bloor).

UPDATE:
Hey I didn't join a gym yet but I try to go for jogs atleast 5 times a week but this week was a mess so i could only go 3 times.

I am now 7 pounds less, 2 pounds per week is good I guess =P.

My sister is thinking about buying a treadmill or something. So yeah I guess things are working out nice.

Can someone give some good excercises that i could do at home?

Ps. Im also gonna start to take pictures every month untill im thin. Than once im thin ill paste them up:DD

FdMstng99

Forum Sage
Feb 19, 2008
Maryland
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]So I decided to go on a diet and lose all these pounds I have on. I went on a diet and 2 weeks later went to join the gym which is about a 15 minute walk away from me. When I got their it turns out that the gym closed down because they didn't pay their lease or some other gym bought it. My sister than tells me about another gym in the area which is only one short bus ride away. When I get their the women behind the counter tells me they have a 3 day trial card and she also told me that I DON'T have to pay every month for a year for the membership. Three days later when im about to buy the damn membership the lady says "you have to pay for every month for a year" when I told her that she said that I didn't have to she denied it.

So I don't know what to do now. If anyone is interested I was using the eleptical to lose weight. Atleast I lost 5 pounds. If anyone is wondering in the 2 weeks between my diet and going to the gym I was just jogging but I find doing eleptical much easier because I can actually go longer, know how many calories im losing and not get tired as fast.

Ps. I live in toronto and the gym that closed down was RHINOS GYM and the gym that I went to afterwards was SYSTEM FITNESS (on bloor).[/quote]

Not to sure why you don't have to pay every month for the membership. Not sure why she would even tell you that, maybe just to get you to join. All the gyms I have belong too I had to pay for 2 years at a locked in rate. Bally's offers lifetime memberships, when you pay it off you just have to pay about $5 to $10 bucks a year to keep the memebership. Right now I'm a member of Gold's Gym and I have to pay every month.

gster

Paddy McCourt
Mar 13, 2009
Bristol
well from my past experiences i dont trust these big gyms in the city centre now. I was a member at Fitness First, and they really **** you around. They con you out of your money, it got to the point where i had letters from debt collectors at the age of 16 :confused:

of course, the matter was sorted, but that took up to a year. They charged £30 per month even though i was a student, but thankfully my uni gym is 10 times better and £35 one-off payment for the whole year.

MR_T

Forum Elder
Oct 20, 2007
the answers simple,dont rely on the gym.if ur joggin and gettin tired to quickly then slow it down. Buy urself a heart rate monitor watch if u really need to know ur heart rate but a general rule of thumb is you should be able to just comfortably have a conversation without gasping for air,which means youll be around the 130-140bpm mark.

2 simple things 2 remember when loosing weight, reduce calorific intake and increase exercise. No magic just clear and simple

Mar 1, 2009
[QUOTE="MR_T, post: 0]the answers simple,dont rely on the gym.if ur joggin and gettin tired to quickly then slow it down. Buy urself a heart rate monitor watch if u really need to know ur heart rate but a general rule of thumb is you should be able to just comfortably have a conversation without gasping for air,which means youll be around the 130-140bpm mark.

2 simple things 2 remember when loosing weight, reduce calorific intake and increase exercise. No magic just clear and simple[/quote]

totally agree MR T.
i used to go to a gym where the ownership of the gym kept changing, i had a 5yr membership which the new owners would not honour, so i left & now i keep fit walking the dog & jogging , does not cost me a penny. Im actually fitter now than when i was going to the gym, used to put off going to the gym coz i couldnt be bothered to drive into town.
So if i was you i would keep your money & train yourself. good luck

Nov 19, 2007
I've been to Toronto during the winter and I don't think exercising outdoors is the answer. I wouldn't like to spend more than 10 minutes outdoors in those temperatures.

FdMstng99

Forum Sage
Feb 19, 2008
Maryland
For me if I had to workout at home or around home I don't think I would do it as much, for me I would have to many distractions. That's why I like going to a gym.

Feb 2, 2009
Australia
Depends how much you want to lose the weight, if going to the gym is more convenient/enjoyable for you I'd look for reviews or customer opinions of several nearby gyms and go from there. Shelling out some cash for an opportunity to get in shape (or whatever your aspiration might be) is worth it imo.

Personally, I'd look up some bodyweight exercises and go for walks to start out, then invest in some equipment like dumbbells or even buy an elliptical. If walks/jogs are boring for ya listen to some music - helped me out loads.

Pestilence

Dedicated Member
Mar 1, 2009
Oshawa, Ontario
I say start at home. All you really need to do is create a calorie deficit and watch your fat intake (junk food) with moderate exercise. Just don't consider it a diet because that almost always means a temporary thing. Once the "diet" is done you put all that **** back on.

Paying for a yearly subscription to a gym (especially a fly-by-night) is a bad move for most people. I would find somewhere that allows you to pay month by month. Then if you've stuck to it for a few months regularly, maybe then get a year, if there's some sort of discount on it.

zodg1lla

Apprentice
Dec 30, 2008
1. count calories/proteins/carbs/fats. you'd be surprised how many calories you THINK you're ingesting only to realize its way too much/too little.

2. daily exercise. running a mile or two every few days without strict dieting wont show much results physique wise, bar the beginner gains. Rest is good though, overworking can slow results and make you feel like crap. I usually go about 5 days a week.

If you're within 15 lbs of your target weight i'd say go with p90x. It has a variety of different workouts to keep your muscles from getting accommodated to the same workout every day, which is why I like big gyms.

Richie209

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2009
Trying saving your money and getting a weight/workout set, excersise every day and be careful what you eat. It'll pay of in a few months(I've seen it work)

Serinous

Elite Sage
Feb 18, 2008
or just buy two dumbells, and exercise at home. that, along with pushups and situps. go running around every other day. eat healthier.

thats how i did it. lost almost 15 pounds in like 3 months.

zeon9881

Forum Elder
Jul 7, 2007
Hey I didn't join a gym yet but I try to go for jogs atleast 5 times a week but this week was a mess so i could only go 3 times.

I am now 7 pounds less, 2 pounds per week is good I guess =P.

My sister is thinking about buying a treadmill or something. So yeah I guess things are working out nice.

Can someone give some good excercises that i could do at home?

BigYoSpeck

Superior Member
Dec 29, 2008
Get yourself a weight set and possibly bench. A full body 45 minute workout will burn a lot of calories plus gaining muscle is advantageous for weight loss as the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn in any given activity.

Bigdoggy

Master Guru
Jan 24, 2008
The money you spend on weights and stuff is most likely cheaper then actually joining a gym. go to the gym if it's really cold outside, other then that, just walk or jog outside, it's not as boring. I don't know how many times I joined a gym to loose the fat, but then after bounced right back to eating bad food. The problem was the gym, you see it every other day and it's the same thing. There is no scenery at all, all you see is walls and crap.

walk outside, go to a big park and go for a walk, it's more healthy.

The diet I am doing right now is this.

2 eggs and 2 slices of bread in the morning (6:00am)

-(9:00am) some kind of fruit, usually cantalope or an apple

-(12:00pm) 4oz of chicken or a 4oz chicken breast, if no chicken then a simple salad.

-(3:00pm) apple, orange, a piece of watermelon, or a plum. Any one of those will do.

-(6:00pm, dinner) either of these work, Dinner Salad, 8oz Lean meats with veggies on the side, 8oz Chicken with veggies on the side, 8oz Salmon with Veggies on the side.

Switch up on what you eat, too. If you don't, you will hit a plato and get stuck barely loosing any weight at all. You can also have steak and Eggs in the morning if you want, but at dinner time you will have to eat a dinner salad.

Don't eat fastfood while doing this diet no matter how much you are craving it. 2 slices of bread a day or a half a bagel is all you need. Remember, bread is one of the causes of weight gain, so just 2 slices or a half a bagel. however, you can have SOME crutons on your salad if your eating a dinner salad.

If you get hungry between certain times, drink water until your content. You should never eat until your actually stuffed, eat till your satisfied.

go for walks too, it's very important, you don't have to go on walks every day, but do it a least a few times a week, a nice good long walk even after work will help loose the weight.

Also, don't be afraid to use salt, you need a little bit of salt in your diet, otherwise if your body lacks salt you could have problems down the road. If your a cereal person, then 1 in a half cup of cereal should do it, in the morning.

I'm doing this diet and it works..You can do it man.

Jun 29, 2008
[QUOTE="BigYoSpeck, post: 0]Get yourself a weight set and possibly bench. A full body 45 minute workout will burn a lot of calories plus gaining muscle is advantageous for weight loss as the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn in any given activity.[/quote]

Just got back from one :)

I've been losing pounds every week ever since I started at the beginning of summer. I've lost about 10-15 pounds so far of just some extra weight have.. Here's all I recommend:

Diet: Eat SAMMICHES, but don't over pack them. Just put the essentials, and you can get a good meal that consists of most of the needed food groups.

Exercise: I just run at my own pace for about a total of 30 minutes on a tread mill, and in between I do about a total of 20-30 arm lifts on ANYTHING that works the shoulders. Same goes for legs. After that, I just get back on the mill and run it all out :) When at home, try a couple of sit ups and push ups EVERY DAY. You'd be surprised at some results over time, and sit ups really help burn calories. You should be able to work this out at a low price :D (hopefully you'll find any public gym soon).

Of course, I'm no professional, but I'm pretty content with this workout/diet. But if you don't like sammiches, then tough luck.... :snicker

NoUseMercenary

Gamer & Crypto Investor
Staff member
Sep 17, 2005
One of the best ways to drop weight and that is easy is swimming. You are using your whole body and you burn calories like you wouldn't believe.

BigYoSpeck

Superior Member
Dec 29, 2008
Also the best time to exercise for weight loss is first thing in the morning before you eat. At this time your glycogen supplies are depleted and 20 minutes exercise will be as effective for burning fat as 40 minutes later in the day once you've eaten.

Paper Shredder

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
I just eat around 2,000 calories a day and run every other day

For me, that diet is really all i do and I have lost 25 pounds and plan to lose a few more

iLake

Super Elite
Sep 16, 2008
Louisiana
gamingcompanyhq.com
You don't have to go to a gym in order to lose weight. If you live in a safe neighborhood :)snicker) you could walk around your block as many times as you need, and you could do push-ups, sit-ups, etc. just from your living room.

BigYoSpeck

Superior Member
Dec 29, 2008
[QUOTE="zeon9881, post: 0]Can someone tell me what a full body 45 minute work out is?

I mean exactly what type of excercises should I do?[/quote]

Two part guide:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/paul4.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/paul5.htm

Don't let it being a body building site put you off, exercise is exercise.

Basically you want a compound lift for every muscle group, which you will do 2-3 sets of. A compound lift is one that calls upon several muscles for an action rather than isolating one. For example a squat uses all you leg muslces and you ab and back muscles which makes it a compound lift where as a bicep curl only really uses the bicep so is an isolation exercise.

The trick is to do it with high intensity, I usually only take a 30-60 second break between lifts which keeps your heart rate up for the entire 45 minutes.

Marcus269

Apprentice
Aug 5, 2009
This one works. tough at first but after a while its nothing at all

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fU_8kJeXeE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fU_8kJeXeE[/ame]

BigYoSpeck

Superior Member
Dec 29, 2008
[QUOTE="Marcus269, post: 0]This one works. tough at first but after a while its nothing at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fU_8kJeXeE[/quote]

Doing that much work in one go on a muscle is pointless, you're just building up lactic acid. Stick to doing one 10-20 rep exercise at a time and when they get too easy make it harder. For instance I do the second exercise he does, the leg raises, without supporting my hands under anything for leverage. And incline crunches will make those harder. Some of the best stomach exercises are ones that don't specifically target the stomach. Deadlifts and squats are good as are bent over barbell rows.

Most people probably don't realise that we all have a 6 pack, it's just a matter of body fat percentage. No stomach exercise will burn enough fat to bring your ab definition into show and you cannot burn fat in an isolated area by exercising it. Your fat is stored all round your body and is used simply by having a calorie defecit.