Why is the white PS4 so high?

May 5, 2011
USA
Quick question, is the white PS4 a limited edition in the U.S. or something? Because I cannot find one at the right price. Around Christmas I noticed some around $430 and now they are $480. I really want a white one but that means waiting a tad longer. :( It's a tough decision to make. So is it limited edition like I keep reading on some sites or not?

Christopher

Community and Technical Manager
Staff member
Jun 1, 2007
Newnan, GA
[QUOTE="The Black Wolf, post: 6415169]Quick question, is the white PS4 a limited edition in the U.S. or something? Because I cannot find one at the right price. Around Christmas I noticed some around $430 and now they are $480. I really want a white one but that means waiting a tad longer. :( It's a tough decision to make. So is it limited edition like I keep reading on some sites or not?[/QUOTE]

It wasn't "limited edition" like the 20th anniversary edition. The white PS4 was a part of the Destiny promotion. So I guess when the promotion stock ran out, Sony just stopped making them. Unless Sony starts making new ones, I imagine the price will stay high since these are units that some companies bought just to resell at higher prices later.

Lefein

Ultimate Veteran
Jun 9, 2005
It is far more likely that they would wait for a slim form PS4 to do a re-SKU after making the white PS4 commercially available with the Destiny bundle (which did quite well.)

The next re-SKU will come with the red Final Fantasy version as I am being told.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
My version of getting different console colours is buying different controllers :p Got a white ps4 controller as can't justify more than one at the moment.

If only they made a 20th anniversary controller for resale.

Lethal

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2007
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6415280]My version of getting different console colours is buying different controllers :p Got a white ps4 controller as can't justify more than one at the moment.

If only they made a 20th anniversary controller for resale.[/QUOTE]

I wish they would. I have my anniversary controller safely sitting in the box. But I would like to use one because I hate not using matching controllers with my system.

TDbank24

Master Guru
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6415280]My version of getting different console colours is buying different controllers :p Got a white ps4 controller as can't justify more than one at the moment.

If only they made a 20th anniversary controller for resale.[/QUOTE]

I used to do that back in the PS2/Xbox era but i just can't do it anymore. I have to have matching controllers. :lol: