Windows 10; free for everyone, even pirates, out this summer

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/18/8241023/windows-10-free-for-software-pirates

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users this summer, but Microsoft is also extending its offer to software pirates. "We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," says Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s Windows chief, in an interview with Reuters. The move means that thousands, perhaps millions, of machines will get a free copy of Windows 10 even if a license has not been properly acquired. "Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows," says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. "We believe customers over time will realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies."
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...is-summer-in-190-countries-and-111-languages/

Big news, looks like Microsoft wants to make sure everyone is on board for the new Windows. They have also been testing a method to let Android users upgrade to Windows. They appear to be desperate to eat into Android marketshare, and possibly worried that SteamOS may take off and move gamers away from Windows.

Personally I'm still sticking to my Linux distro (Elementary OS, I can't go back to Windows after using it) and just use Windows as my dual-boot for games (so I'm really hoping SteamOS/Linux game development takes off).

Of course, some people have wild theories about Microsoft charging for updates past the first year, or even locking users out. It really does seem too good to be true, an entire OS for free, even to people who are stealing it.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
Good move MS!

Can't wait for it. Hopefully it's more optimized for games - got an 8gb laptop and 3.7gb or so is always used even just booting up.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6431655]Good move MS!

Can't wait for it. Hopefully it's more optimized for games - got an 8gb laptop and 3.7gb or so is always used even just booting up.[/QUOTE]

Do a clean install.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
done with games on Linux[/URL].

The Valve Linux Team breaks it down on their shiny new blog: With an Nvidia GTX 680, Intel i7-3930k, and 32GB of RAM, Windows 7 and DirectX, Left 4 Dead 2 maxes out at 270.6 fps. With the same hardware, but different software — Ubuntu 12.04 and OpenGL — L4D2 scores 315 fps, almost 20% faster than Windows.

These figures are remarkable, considering Valve has been refining the Source engine’s performance under Windows for almost 10 years, while the Valve Linux team has only been working on the Linux port of Source for a few months. Valve attributes the speed-up to the “underlying efficiency of the [Linux] kernel and OpenGL.”
To me, that sounds pretty good, and I can understand why Valve wanted SteamOS. If every new game had a Windows and SteamOS version, I would easily dual-boot eOS and SteamOS.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="Admartian, post: 6431655]Good move MS!

Can't wait for it. Hopefully it's more optimized for games - got an 8gb laptop and 3.7gb or so is always used even just booting up.[/QUOTE]

You need to clean your PC then, or have a lot less programs start on boot up. I have 16Gb of RAM, Photoshop open to a 32megapixel image, multiple folders, Steam, Notepad, OpenOffice, Litecoin wallet, Windows Media Player, and Rimworld, and Avast running in the background. I'm using 4.3GB of RAM.

[QUOTE="ttech10, post: 6431666]This whole thing has me waiting to see whatever is behind the curtain. There has to be something they aren't telling us.[/QUOTE]

They're losing the OS market and they know it. It's time to suck it up and offer the platform for free the recoup the losses elsewhere. For example Microsoft is really trying to push their app store. But also support for older operating systems is very expensive for them. They want everyone to move up to Windows 10 where it's easier and much cheaper to offer support.

If they do suffer a loss it won't be a heavy one. Ultimately they can't afford to lose the OS market and it's worth going free with Windows 10.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6431653]I worry about ulterior motives.[/QUOTE]

This has NSA written all over it.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Bitbydeath

Power Member
Sep 10, 2005
[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6431672]This has NSA written all over it.

Sent from my GT-I9000[/QUOTE]

Yea, I have a legit copy of 8.1 and not sure if I should upgrade now.
Might have to give it a month or two for others to discover any... undocumented features.

Ghost

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 12, 2009
detailed how NSA malware tech is far far ahead of any tech we have today[/URL] and has the capacity to survive hard drive wipes and can hijack the OS from the foundation. Seeing as MS has already been revealed to have been working with NSA, the distribution of a new OS to all, including pirates, sounds extremely suspicious to me. However, in all honesty, unless you're using tor and are really savvy about digital anonymity and data protection, your data has already been mined and is sitting on one of the many xkeyscore data centers.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
I have a copy of both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 so I'll be using my copy of Windows 7 to upgrade to Windows 10 to see if it's worthwhile to use it as my main machine's OS. Unfortunately I can't move to Linux due to my work environment.

Shingo

Forum Guru
Dec 21, 2011
I have a win 7 disc somewhere I don't know, but to lazy to install it for getting 10... I will wait for it.

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
I still find Linux a bit too rough around the edges. And driver support is a bit non existent, shame though as the footprint is much lower.

[QUOTE="Shingo, post: 6431719]I have a win 7 disc somewhere I don't know, but to lazy to install it for getting 10... I will wait for it.[/QUOTE]
If you've got the serial you can just download the ISO to burn to a new disc.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Last edited:

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
detailed how NSA malware tech is far far ahead of any tech we have today[/URL] and has the capacity to survive hard drive wipes and can hijack the OS from the foundation. Seeing as MS has already been revealed to have been working with NSA, the distribution of a new OS to all, including pirates, sounds extremely suspicious to me. However, in all honesty, unless you're using tor and are really savvy about digital anonymity and data protection, your data has already been mined and is sitting on one of the many xkeyscore data centers.
It's interesting that China is the place this was announced, because it's China that banned Windows 8 due to security concerns and the NSA stuff. That's certainly something Apple can throw out there. Microsoft gave everything to the NSA, whereas the NSA had to dedicate teams of hackers to figure out Apple's stuff.

The popular Reddit comment on the posts about this is something like if the product is free, the product is you. That may very well end up being true here, Microsoft making money with your data or maybe this time getting paid to help out the NSA. [puts on tinfoil hat, looks around nervously]

I'm honestly somewhere around 100% more interested in seeing what nefarious plans Microsoft has than seeing what the final OS will look like. I'm almost expecting stuff like Solitaire, Minesweeper and Hearts to cost money to download. Maybe I'll be surprised and they don't have anything up their sleeve, but for now I'm highly skeptical.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6431669]You need to clean your PC then, or have a lot less programs start on boot up. I have 16Gb of RAM, Photoshop open to a 32megapixel image, multiple folders, Steam, Notepad, OpenOffice, Litecoin wallet, Windows Media Player, and Rimworld, and Avast running in the background. I'm using 4.3GB of RAM.

They're losing the OS market and they know it. It's time to suck it up and offer the platform for free the recoup the losses elsewhere. For example Microsoft is really trying to push their app store. But also support for older operating systems is very expensive for them. They want everyone to move up to Windows 10 where it's easier and much cheaper to offer support.

If they do suffer a loss it won't be a heavy one. Ultimately they can't afford to lose the OS market and it's worth going free with Windows 10.[/QUOTE]

LOL, please do tell how is MS losing the OS market? And to whom?

[QUOTE="Ghost, post: 6431672]This has NSA written all over it.

Sent from my GT-I9000[/QUOTE]

Seriously stop it. You are approaching a level of conspiracy theory even beyond where Tut went.

Last edited:

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6431766]LOL, please do dell how is MS losing the OS market? And to whom?

Seriously stop it. You are approaching a level of conspiracy theory even beyond where Tut went.[/QUOTE]
I'm wouldn't be in such a rush to denounce that sort of thing in this day and age.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
even Vista is more used than Linux[/URL]. Over half of all computer users are still on Windows 7.

I think their main worry is the mobile/tablet market, where Android has 47% and Apple has 43%, with Windows all the way at 3%. Give people the option to have their desktop, laptop, and phone all use the same OS, for free, and I would think they would take it. Windows 10 for free is likely what they hope convinces people to also use Windows for their phones and tablets. I don't know what 10 on phones looks like, but the tablet Windows 10 is basically the same as the desktop version.

Varsh

Editor /Tech Adviser
Staff member
Jan 5, 2006
UK
If anyone is wondering, the current marketshare is this:
Code:
Windows 7			55.99%
Windows XP			19.15%
Windows 8.1			10.49%
Windows 8			3.55%
Mac OS X 10.10			3.55%
Windows Vista			2.11%
Mac OS X 10.9			1.65%
Linux				1.53%
Mac OS X 10.6			0.61%
Mac OS X 10.7			0.47%
Mac OS X 10.8			0.46%
Mac OS X 10.5			0.12%
Windows NT			0.11%
Windows 10			0.08%
Windows 2000			0.04%
Mac OS X 10.4			0.03%
Win64				0.02%
Windows 3.1			0.01%
Windows 98			0.01%
Mac OS X (no version reported)	0.00%
Windows ME			0.00%
Windows 95			0.00%
People are still using Windows 3.11? :eek:

Anyway Windows approximately has about 92% market share right now which hasn't really dropped or gone up in the last couple of years.

Admartian

Wibbly Wobbly
Nov 28, 2006
New Zealand
done with games on Linux[/URL].
That's good.

God knows if my laptop is DX12-compatible though.

[QUOTE="Varsh, post: 6431777]If anyone is wondering, the current marketshare is this:
Code:
Windows 7            55.99%
Windows XP            19.15%
Windows 8.1            10.49%
Windows 8            3.55%
Mac OS X 10.10            3.55%
Windows Vista            2.11%
Mac OS X 10.9            1.65%
Linux                1.53%
Mac OS X 10.6            0.61%
Mac OS X 10.7            0.47%
Mac OS X 10.8            0.46%
Mac OS X 10.5            0.12%
Windows NT            0.11%
Windows 10            0.08%
Windows 2000            0.04%
Mac OS X 10.4            0.03%
Win64                0.02%
Windows 3.1            0.01%
Windows 98            0.01%
Mac OS X (no version reported)    0.00%
Windows ME            0.00%
Windows 95            0.00%
People are still using Windows 3.11? :eek:

Anyway Windows approximately has about 92% market share right now which hasn't really dropped or gone up in the last couple of years.[/QUOTE]

TIL: 6.89% of all OS/computer users are hipsters...
:snicker

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I'm not sure about laptop GPUs, but DX12 for desktop cards works all the way to the GTX 400 series cards, so some pretty decent backwards compatibility there.

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
even Vista is more used than Linux[/URL]. Over half of all computer users are still on Windows 7.

I think their main worry is the mobile/tablet market, where Android has 47% and Apple has 43%, with Windows all the way at 3%. Give people the option to have their desktop, laptop, and phone all use the same OS, for free, and I would think they would take it. Windows 10 for free is likely what they hope convinces people to also use Windows for their phones and tablets. I don't know what 10 on phones looks like, but the tablet Windows 10 is basically the same as the desktop version.
Windows 8 wasn't intended to be the business replacement for XP, that is what windows 7 was for. So I wouldn't expect its market share to be comparable to 7.

With 10, Microsoft is trying to get everyone to migrate to the same windows version.

As for tablets thee has been trouble with getting windows to be as functional on them compared to traditional computers. That should begin to change with windows 10 and new hardware. I wouldn't be too worried about their marketshare since ios/android tablets have seem to plateaued and are rather limited in their uses.

Feb 8, 2015
Sorry. I'll take my version of Seven over 10. There's no reason to upgrade, even for free.
Things too good to be true, like a company sanctioned free version, usually aren't as outstanding as they're making it out to be.
What's next? When you're working on a document in word, you want to save. Dialogue box pops up, "Please pay, 99c to continue your save." Other features have micro-transactions too? Be connected to the Internet 100% of the time, or the OS doesn't work.

Seven hasn't let me down, why update?

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="MATRIX 2, post: 6431766]LOL, please do dell how is MS losing the OS market? And to whom?[/QUOTE]

That was a weird reaction.

[QUOTE="Dr.Ruiner, post: 6431934]Seven hasn't let me down, why update?[/QUOTE]

Maybe DX12, but we'll have to see how it performs in real-world applications.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="ttech10, post: 6431765]The popular Reddit comment on the posts about this is something like if the product is free, the product is you. That may very well end up being true here, Microsoft making money with your data or maybe this time getting paid to help out the NSA. [puts on tinfoil hat, looks around nervously]

I'm honestly somewhere around 100% more interested in seeing what nefarious plans Microsoft has than seeing what the final OS will look like. I'm almost expecting stuff like Solitaire, Minesweeper and Hearts to cost money to download. Maybe I'll be surprised and they don't have anything up their sleeve, but for now I'm highly skeptical.[/QUOTE]
Yup, this.

Several MS products already have a personal marketing ID for the user. I know because i remember turning mine off....might have been my Surface? o_O

I don't think it's as bad as NSA type dealings, but bringing everyone onto the same platform has many benefits for many reasons. Least of which MS's audience are now consolidated with one product.

On a base level, i'll give it a couple months for people to find out anything that is seriously wrong with the OS. There's bound to be something rubbing people the wrong way. And im sure there'll be workarounds like the shell addon for Windows 8.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I'm sure people will be trying to find anything negative about the OS once it hits retail. Just the past few years we had the news that Microsoft was selling user data to politicians and then the whole thing about handing over Skype/Outlook/SkyDrive stuff to the NSA and even made sure it was easier for them to get access to things.

I didn't switch to Linux because of that stuff (it just runs better and has a much better looking UI), but that's the kind of stuff that's worrying when a Microsoft account (Outlook) and OneDrive (previously SkyDrive) are key aspects to Windows 8/8.1/10. Granted it's hard to use a service today that doesn't do something with your data, but it's another thing when it's your entire OS you have to worry about. Hopefully though Microsoft isn't planning anything shady.