Windows 10; free for everyone, even pirates, out this summer

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="WaxWeazle, post: 6464569]Download Winrar from the web (don't worry, it has a free trial that you can use limitless and it is legitimate) and you can 'unrar' (read: unpack) the ISO file.
From there on out, it's just alike opening a CD on your PC; run the software via the executable and you're on a roll :)[/QUOTE]

ive already got winrar, but the thing i was using to DL win10 was the media creation tool 64....it goes as far as doing the whole set up then when its done, i get that modern setup host has stopped working thingy

WaxWeazle

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Jan 12, 2014
Belgium
Got a screenshot so I can follow? :lol:

I just used the same tool really, chose the ISO thing.. It downloaded, had to choose where to and afterwards I just used winrar to unrar that ISO to a win10 folder, where I ran the setup.exe from after unpacking.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
Is the honeymoon period over for anyone? The most recent Windows Update broke my computer (constant reboots) and I'm too frustrated at it to figure out what it was that broke it, back on elementaryOS for the next few days.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I should be clear, the hard reboots are happening while in-game (Civilization V). On Windows 8.1, I could lose entire weekends on that game without issue, but if something did happen it was only a crash (not a system shutdown). This didn't happen before the most recent "cumulative update" and the event logs only say "the computer shutdown unexpectedly".

I had even tested the game on Linux, over 250 turns before I figured it was enough testing. Back on Windows 10, can't go more than 20 turns without a system crash.

Going to give it a reinstall or whatever just in case that fixes whatever issue the update created. I was thinking there might be an issue with overheating, but the exhaust air from the computer is barely warm so I doubt that (it gets hotter while doing stuff with SketchUp/Indigo Renderer, and hits closer to 100% usage on stuff). Still, once I get it reinstalled I'm going to run RealTemp and set it to log the temp every little while just for the heck of it to really rule out overheating.

Update: Reinstalled/verified the game install, ran RealTemp with temp logs every 10 seconds, booted up the game and crashed around 10 minutes in. Temperature wasn't even close to being too high. Booted into Memtest, ran that for about 30 minutes and found no issues. Been wanting to go through Mafia II again, I guess I'll do that and see if I get crashes. If so, going back to Windows 8.1 for a while.

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6466340]Why would you say that?[/QUOTE]
Because of bugs across several computers ... graphical glitches ... etc.

I'm sure they'll be addressed in time, but it's not as solid as previous Windows OS's yet.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6466450]Because of bugs across several computers ... graphical glitches ... etc.

I'm sure they'll be addressed in time, but it's not as solid as previous Windows OS's yet.[/QUOTE]

Your computers? Details.... are they old? etc. I have an 8 year old laptop on Windows 10 and haven't had a single problem yet. Two other laptops, several years old, and a desktop, a couple years old; all running just fine.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Why do you need details? Is it not believable that an OS that just came out might have issues? Most of them are new. They're not huge issues, just minor annoyances.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6466454]Why do you need details? Is it not believable that an OS that just came out might have issues? Most of them are new. They're not huge issues, just minor annoyances.[/QUOTE]

Well, I can't help solve problems without knowing what those problems might be.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
I didn't ask you to help solve any problems. That's Microsoft's responsibility. I know that at least some of these are driver issues, which is not Microsoft's fault. It's also not helpful to pretend Windows 10 is free of issues because you haven't had any yet.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6466461]I didn't ask you to help solve any problems. That's Microsoft's responsibility. I know that at least some of these are driver issues, which is not Microsoft's fault. It's also not helpful to pretend Windows 10 is free of issues because you haven't had any yet.[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying Windows 10 doesn't have problems. I'm saying I haven't had any because I know what I'm doing. If you don't want help, fine. No problem.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6466463]I'm not saying Windows 10 doesn't have problems. I'm saying I haven't had any because I know what I'm doing. If you don't want help, fine. No problem.[/QUOTE]
It's because you're fortunate, not because you know what you're doing. Not only is that unhelpful, it's condescending and implies that I'm having issues because I don't know what I'm doing, which is entirely incorrect. I've worked (and still do) in IT for more than a decade. I'm well aware of how to address computer issues. These are all clean installs on systems that functioned perfectly fine on both Windows 7 and 8.1. Even on my current system, which has the proper driver support ... there are still hiccups here and there. I really don't appreciate your need to push your condescending "help" on me, but it really is unnecessary. Thanks.

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6466464]It's because you're fortunate, not because you know what you're doing. Not only is that unhelpful, it's condescending and implies that I'm having issues because I don't know what I'm doing, which is entirely incorrect. I've worked (and still do) in IT for more than a decade. I'm well aware of how to address computer issues. These are all clean installs on systems that functioned perfectly fine on both Windows 7 and 8.1. Even on my current system, which has the proper driver support ... there are still hiccups here and there. I really don't appreciate your need to push your condescending "help" on me, but it really is unnecessary. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I had a lot more to say, but since you said "thanks", I'll just say, you're welcome. Hope your issues get sorted.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
It seems like whatever the update broke, it only broke Civ V (or at least not Mafia II, been on it for a few hours with zero issues). I'm still tempted to go back to Windows 8.1, no telling what other games are affected and it would at least tell me if it's Windows 10 and Civ V or something hardware related. I might even partition it so I can have Windows 8.1, Windows 10, then eOS. I activated Windows 10 from a Windows 7 key so I should still be able to have 8.1 alongside 10.

Worst case scenario I'll have a Windows 8.1 partition I can always go back to and test if a game is working on a previous Windows version.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6466465]I had a lot more to say, but since you said "thanks", I'll just say, you're welcome. Hope your issues get sorted.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure they'll be sorted with future updates to address current bugs which are experienced by more people than just myself.

[QUOTE="Scheller, post: 6466466]It seems like whatever the update broke, it only broke Civ V (or at least not Mafia II, been on it for a few hours with zero issues). I'm still tempted to go back to Windows 8.1, no telling what other games are affected and it would at least tell me if it's Windows 10 and Civ V or something hardware related. I might even partition it so I can have Windows 8.1, Windows 10, then eOS. I activated Windows 10 from a Windows 7 key so I should still be able to have 8.1 alongside 10.

Worst case scenario I'll have a Windows 8.1 partition I can always go back to and test if a game is working on a previous Windows version.[/QUOTE]
That can happen to games with new OS's. Having a second partition is not a bad idea ... or even a second drive just for your older games that are having compatibility issues.

Last edited:

MATRIX 2

Forum Sage
Jul 29, 2005
D.C.
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6466148]Windows 10 seems like it's very much a beta still.[/QUOTE]

For Microsoft, this has meant a major change in how Windows is developed and distributed. This change started during the preview period. Instead of a couple of builds spaced many months apart, which is how past versions of Windows have been beta tested, we've had a steady flow of builds, sometimes with just a couple of days between them.

In the olden days of Windows, there would be a significant period of stabilization and bug fixing in the run up to each public beta. That didn't happen for Windows 10; the builds were much more raw, with (for example) one build unable to launch Win32 programs from the Start menu. The flip side is that we've seen much greater progress over these builds; bugs have been fixed almost before our eyes, and features adjusted in response to user feedback.

While the last few builds improved the operating system greatly, it still feels quite raw. Microsoft tells us that there will be a day one patch to fix a bunch of bugs, and we doubt that will be the last. As the operating system gets into more people's hands, more issues will get shaken out.

And this gets back to my uncertainty about the release.

Windows 8 felt unfinished, but it was an unfinished thought. The actual released operating system was stable and reliable and didn't have any glaring errors in it, but the thoughts behind it, the thoughts about how its various facets should work together, were incomplete.

Windows 10 feels unfinished, but in a different way. The concept of the operating system is a great deal better than its predecessor. It's better in fact than all of its predecessors. It can ably span a range of form factors and designs, and it can be comfortable and effective on all of them. For all my gripes, it's the right idea, and it's implemented in more or less the right way. But I think it's also buggier than Windows 8.1, 8, 7, or Vista were on their respective launch days. Some issues are just downright weird: set your screen to 125 percent scaling, for example, and Notepad windows have a mis-sized menu bar. It all feels a bit glitchy.

This is the double-edged sword of the new development process. On the one hand, I think it's going to put Microsoft in a much better position to quickly diagnose and fix these bugs, but on the other, the initial quality of the software doesn't seem quite as good. The shake-up to Microsoft's software engineering practices has been substantial, and it's going to take time for everything to be as smooth and reliable as it was before.
However:

Windows 10 is the best Windows yet. I think almost everyone upgrading from both Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be upgrading to a better operating system that is less annoying and more effective. I think that everyone who is eligible to upgrade should do so; I can see little reason to stick with those older operating systems unless one has very specific compatibility or regulatory concerns. Windows 10 is without a doubt better, and with each passing month it's going to stretch that lead and become better still.

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6466467]That can happen to games with new OS's. Having a second partition is not a bad idea ... or even a second drive just for your older games that are having compatibility issues.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll at least get 8.1 back and have a partition reserved for 10, one less install to worry about. Especially since I want take the opportunity to move my Linux install to the beginning of the drive and I'll need to backup/copy some stuff for that. At least all the required ISOs I already have downloaded.

[QUOTE="Lethal, post: 6466470]So what is this bug? Now i am curious.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

My issue is playing Civ V causes hard system reboots. The only thing crash logs are telling me is that the system shut down unexpectedly, doesn't help it started after the latest update and Windows doesn't want to tell us what they changed...

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
I just want to say, I mounted a 500GB volume onto my Boot SSD from my HDD when i was running Win8.1(makes it easy for the other half - it's named "Program files - Jupiter"), and windows actually preserved the link to the mounted volume during the upgrade flawlessly. The programs that were saved on there (including some of mine) run equally flawless.

It was the one thing i assumed was gunna break, and it didn't. Considering it managed to effectively upgrade the important stuff, driver issues are kinda trivial to me :p
[QUOTE="Scheller, post: 6466483]My issue is playing Civ V causes hard system reboots. The only thing crash logs are telling me is that the system shut down unexpectedly, doesn't help it started after the latest update and Windows doesn't want to tell us what they changed...[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's GPU driver issue? Who's the GPU manufacturer? AMD's drivers can sometimes have wondrous effects on PC's i've been told >_>

Try running this, and log you system files while you play the game:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx
(note, a log of the system can be GB's in size. It literally logs every single call, and request Windows makes.)

Run it until it crashes. Hopefully it saves the log when it dies. If it does, read out the last few lines in notepad++ it could give you an idea of what exactly the file, and or process is that is breaking your system.

EDIT:
You need to specify the writing to file instead of memory.
File > Backing Files... > Use File Named
This should give you a read out. Hopefully, the crash isn't instantaneous and windows can close the app so it doesn't break the file.

Last edited:

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
I doubt it's the graphics driver, it's Nvidia, and I've already made sure it was the latest one (and also, that Windows didn't force it to use some generic display driver). It's something from the recent Windows Update that seems to be causing the crash.

I'll try that program out, though I'm not holding out much hope. The system crashes/reboots pretty instantly, in all the crashes it's been sudden, no sign of lag or anything in the game to indicate some background task was happening. It's why I figured there may have been an overheating problem, but temp logs proved otherwise, and Mafia II ran for hours (where Civ V won't last 30 minutes).

F34R

Legend
Feb 11, 2008
South Carolina
[QUOTE="Scheller, post: 6466486]I doubt it's the graphics driver, it's Nvidia, and I've already made sure it was the latest one (and also, that Windows didn't force it to use some generic display driver). It's something from the recent Windows Update that seems to be causing the crash.

I'll try that program out, though I'm not holding out much hope. The system crashes/reboots pretty instantly, in all the crashes it's been sudden, no sign of lag or anything in the game to indicate some background task was happening. It's why I figured there may have been an overheating problem, but temp logs proved otherwise, and Mafia II ran for hours (where Civ V won't last 30 minutes).[/QUOTE]

I'll load Civ V on mine and see where it goes.

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Scheller, post: 6466486]I doubt it's the graphics driver, it's Nvidia, and I've already made sure it was the latest one (and also, that Windows didn't force it to use some generic display driver). It's something from the recent Windows Update that seems to be causing the crash.

I'll try that program out, though I'm not holding out much hope. The system crashes/reboots pretty instantly, in all the crashes it's been sudden, no sign of lag or anything in the game to indicate some background task was happening. It's why I figured there may have been an overheating problem, but temp logs proved otherwise, and Mafia II ran for hours (where Civ V won't last 30 minutes).[/QUOTE]
I assumed the program put out a CSV log file, it puts out it's own file type however, so if it's crashing instantaneously it might not be readable. Still worth a shot.

At a push you could run Civ in windowed mode, and force the 'auto-scroll' option in Procmon, and then the 'keep on-top' option and just goof around with Civ in the background keeping an eye on what is happening with your system calls, paying attention to the last few lines...it may give some clue if windows starts throwing up errors before a restart (which event manager isn't logging).

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Scheller, post: 6466466]It seems like whatever the update broke, it only broke Civ V (or at least not Mafia II, been on it for a few hours with zero issues). I'm still tempted to go back to Windows 8.1, no telling what other games are affected and it would at least tell me if it's Windows 10 and Civ V or something hardware related. I might even partition it so I can have Windows 8.1, Windows 10, then eOS. I activated Windows 10 from a Windows 7 key so I should still be able to have 8.1 alongside 10.

Worst case scenario I'll have a Windows 8.1 partition I can always go back to and test if a game is working on a previous Windows version.[/QUOTE]

If you revert within the first 30 days, you are guaranteed to be allowed to keep your old Windows 7/8/8.1 product keys. After that, you will lose them henceforth. Civ V is too good a game to allow to be broken by a Windows 10 update.