Windows 10; free for everyone, even pirates, out this summer

Scheller

Forum Sage
May 9, 2006
Texas
It crashes pretty much randomly while in-game. I can have it just sitting there doing nothing and it will crash/reboot. I've even reloaded a quicksave from the turn before (or even from the same turn) and continued with zero issue.

I forced myself to get back on Civ after starting Mafia, have that resource thing running, and of course there hasn't been a crash. Quit at turn 75 as I'm more in the mood for Mafia, but I'll start a new game of Civ later and see if the issue is triggered. Not sure what would have changed. Other than the Mafia II install and running that resource monitor the only thing I did was install DS4Windows and plug the DS4 in. I highly doubt that did anything.

Though I also unplugged an external USB drive to plug in the DS4, maybe something weird was going on with that? It has been wonky since I went to the retail version of 10, disconnecting randomly. Could explain why Mafia had no issues, why I haven't had any issues yet on Civ without the HDD plugged in, and why there wasn't an issue earlier with Civ on Linux.

[QUOTE="F34R, post: 6466587]Are you choosing to run it under dx10/11? Or choosing dx9?[/QUOTE]

I've tried both. Before the update and in Windows 8.1 I always used DX10/11 and no issues. Whichever one I choose, it was crashing. Like I said above though, in the one test I've ran after installing Mafia II it hasn't crashed after 75 turns.

[QUOTE="Ezekiel, post: 6466568]If you revert within the first 30 days, you are guaranteed to be allowed to keep your old Windows 7/8/8.1 product keys. After that, you will lose them henceforth. Civ V is too good a game to allow to be broken by a Windows 10 update.[/QUOTE]

I have a separate Windows 8 and Windows 7 key to use. I don't ever plan on going back to Windows 7 so I'm keeping that key as a Windows 10 key. I actually think between Civ V and Windows 10, 10 would win out due to Civ V working on Linux. Windows 10 has it's random annoyances, but I really do enjoy it and I know it's only a matter of time until the kinks are worked out.

Update: So I think it's entirely possible the external HDD was causing the issue, assuming something in the update did something with USB drivers. Back on Linux now for non-gaming stuff, but I played up to round 150 on Civilization and then a couple hours on Mafia. I'm tempted to hook the HDD back up tomorrow and boot up Civ to see if anything happens.

Last edited:

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Recent Windows 10-specific driver updates have made 99% of the issues I've been having go away ... so that's nice.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
I tried installing it on my new Lenovo G50 laptop at the weekend and although it downloaded (PAINFULLY slowly because of my poor internet) it froze while trying to actually install, anyone else had this? Any suggestions?

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6468467]You can try installing it again ... or try installing it via CD/DVD or a USB thumb drive.[/QUOTE]

Think I shall try reinstalling it again first then, the connection at my work is much faster so shall give it a try there first. If not then I guess it shall have to be the latter......

Fijiandoce

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2007
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6468492]Thanks, I shall do that before trying it again then, it's a brand new laptop so hopefully it should be okay![/QUOTE]
My update failed the first time also.

Solution for me was to remove the old windows updates, and re-download the Win10 update again.

If you want to give this a try just go:
[for Win8.1]
- Bring up what used to be called 'My Computer', now called This PC.
- Right click 'C' drive.
- Click 'Properties'.
- In the 'General' Tab you should see "Disk Clean-up" beside the pie chart of disk usage.
- It will do a quick scan before opening a window.
- In the Disk Clean-up window select "Clean up system files".
- It should do another scan.
- Once done 'check' the "Previous Windows Installation(s)".
- Now click 'OK'.
- Windows will delete old and not useful updates and should not have any junk and leftover update files remaining after this.

Note: This will also delete the old Windows 10 Update that you would have downloaded. Meaning you can re-download from scratch.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="Fijiandoce, post: 6468565]My update failed the first time also.

Solution for me was to remove the old windows updates, and re-download the Win10 update again.

If you want to give this a try just go:
[for Win8.1]
- Bring up what used to be called 'My Computer', now called This PC.
- Right click 'C' drive.
- Click 'Properties'.
- In the 'General' Tab you should see "Disk Clean-up" beside the pie chart of disk usage.
- It will do a quick scan before opening a window.
- In the Disk Clean-up window select "Clean up system files".
- It should do another scan.
- Once done 'check' the "Previous Windows Installation(s)".
- Now click 'OK'.
- Windows will delete old and not useful updates and should not have any junk and leftover update files remaining after this.

Note: This will also delete the old Windows 10 Update that you would have downloaded. Meaning you can re-download from scratch.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Fiji, will do that when I get home then try and download it again at work tomorrow :icon_thumright:

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6468536]Still no notification to d/l
how is everyone getting this again?
Media tool dont work for me[/QUOTE]

Go to the official Microsoft site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I'd go ahead and download it, make an iso image on a thumb drive or external drive, install it and then do a fresh install after that to get rid of the old file system. Make sure you backup all your save files for everything beforehand.

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="Ezekiel, post: 6468615]Go to the official Microsoft site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I'd go ahead and download it, make an iso image on a thumb drive or external drive, install it and then do a fresh install after that to get rid of the old file system. Make sure you backup all your save files for everything beforehand.[/QUOTE]
What if I don't want to do that bro? Surely there is an eaiser way then this iso shit?

How did you get it duff?

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6468637]How did you get it duff?[/QUOTE]

Mine popped up automatically once I had finished setting up the laptop, downloaded the files then proceeded to stop doing anything, could still use the computer but the status bar stayed in 1 place for ages so gave up!

Have you tried just going into your control panel and checking for updates?

33x

Super Carlton
Staff member
Dec 26, 2007
SW London
[QUOTE="Duffman, post: 6468638]Mine popped up automatically once I had finished setting up the laptop, downloaded the files then proceeded to stop doing anything, could still use the computer but the status bar stayed in 1 place for ages so gave up!

Have you tried just going into your control panel and checking for updates?[/QUOTE]
U got a brand new laptop I'm guessing?

Omar

Forum Overseer
May 29, 2005
Addison, TX.
[video=youtube;fOQK68tfU-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQK68tfU-Q[/video]

who can guess why this commercial is fucking creepy as fuck.

hint: kinect 2 data collection technology.

Duffman

Selected Members Council
Staff member
Oct 14, 2013
Chillin by the poo!!
[QUOTE="33x, post: 6468640]U got a brand new laptop I'm guessing?[/QUOTE]

I have indeed mate yes, thought it was about time I had an upgrade so got delivered Saturday!

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
[QUOTE="Omar, post: 6468641]who can guess why this commercial is fucking creepy as fuck.

hint: kinect 2 data collection technology.[/QUOTE]
My first guess would've been that incredibly ugly baby.

AsterPhoenix

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2008
Knew there was a catch they recently updated their End User License Agreement regarding pirating and a coincidence that the TPPA is not far off from the sounds of things. We find out more as time goes on.

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
[QUOTE="Brandon, post: 6466148]Windows 10 seems like it's very much a beta still.[/QUOTE]

Think it's a case of 'YMWV'.

Windows 10 on my desktop has been solid. Windows 10 on my laptop blue screens every 2 minutes. Literally.

TapaTalking from my Mind.

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Have you tried booting your laptop into Safe Mode? If it works in Safe Mode, it's probably a driver issue. Did you upgrade or do a clean install?

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Yeah booted into safe mode and figured it would be video card drivers causing the issue. Still got the BSOD even in safe mode.

Was an upgrade.

Going to boot into safe mode again and remove the Nvidia drivers and use the stock windows ones and reinstall drivers. To be honest, I've inky tried to fix it for about 5 minutes

BBK..

Master Sage
Oct 19, 2008
In the 36 Chambers
Yeah something to do with a driver. Haven't look at it in a few days. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to get around.

I kinda want to do a fresh install but need to find out my W7 key before I try.

Though I have an w7 ultimate key in my room somewhere. Should probably try and find that

Brandon

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
I would definitely try a fresh install if you can. I always have issues with upgrades. I only upgraded to get the key, then did a fresh install.

darky89

Forum Sage
Dec 3, 2007
In the bushes.
[QUOTE="BBK.., post: 6469874]Yeah something to do with a driver. Haven't look at it in a few days. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to get around.

I kinda want to do a fresh install but need to find out my W7 key before I try.

Though I have an w7 ultimate key in my room somewhere. Should probably try and find that

TapaTalking from my Mind.[/QUOTE]

The whole key thing is bit of a tricky issue. It seems to be a bit hit and miss whether it works after a clean install.

Give this and the comments a read - http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/29/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

I want to do a clean install too, but frankly can't be bothered with key issues if they arise. You're good with computers though, so maybe a lot of people with problems are just doing something wrong.