Wipeout delayed due to technical problem

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
WipEout HD has yet to be released because of a "specific technical problem", but Sony hopes it will be out "before the end of the year".
"There is a specific technical problem with WipEout that we have to solve. I can't go into details but it is a really, really tricky technical problem that no region has been able to solve at the moment," Sony Europe boss David Reeves told us when we hassled him about the game's progress this week at LA.
"I think it will come out before the end of the year but it is something that was just very difficult to get to grips with."
Which is a shame, because WipEout HD looks great and we were pretty happy with it when we got to play around with an unfinished build a few months ago.
WipEout HD features eight tracks borrowed and spruced up from the excellent PSP games along with online multiplayer and the promise of downloadable content. It also aims to run at 60 frames-per-second in 1080p.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=191929

There you have it...pretty much explains why we havent seen it yet. I am sick of waiting for this one, and now not even a remotely possible release date.

I wonder what the problem could be? Something to do with trophies? Online play?

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
[QUOTE="Mr Dodger, post: 0]That may be the problem. Achieving that consistently with online as wel could be tricky.[/quote]

No, that´s not the problem because the old builds already run great at 1080p/60fps. Maybe online there is an issue though.

DontKnowMe

Forum Elder
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Nunalho, post: 0]http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=191929

There you have it...pretty much explains why we havent seen it yet. I an sick of waiting for this one, and now not even a remotely possible release date.

I wonder what the problem could be?[/quote]

Too many noob programmers working on the game. Isn't this game basically a port of PSP game? I didn't think it would be that hard to getting running on the PS3. I usually try not to rant, whine and complain but all of these delays are getting ****ing ridiculous. :pissed::pissed::pissed:

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
It´s my most anticipated game and its also the most delayed one: End of 2007-> April-> May-> June-> July-> DONT KNOW...this year.

aceofspades21

Superior Member
Mar 23, 2008
Burlington, VT
This game is just a port of the two PSP games right? Just spruced up and online? I don't see how it can be a huge problem that causes this many delays. I guess the online could be the culprit, but I dunno.

DontKnowMe

Forum Elder
Oct 19, 2006
They are starting to look as bad as the Fatal Inertia team because that was suppose to be a launch title and it just came out last month :suspect:.

DontKnowMe

Forum Elder
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="Natalz, post: 0]That's strange, this game really seemed almost ready.[/quote]

According to the last trailer it was suppose to be this summer, and then was an article saying the end of this month.

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
Well the game was practicaly ready a few months ago, those old builds look rad.

It cant be that long now, i am still hoping the game is out during July-September: AKA Summer.

aceofspades21

Superior Member
Mar 23, 2008
Burlington, VT
[QUOTE="DontKnowMe, post: 0]They are starting to look as bad as the Fatal Inertia team because that was suppose to be a launch title and it just came out last month :suspect:.[/quote]

Really? Did it end up being any good?

DontKnowMe

Forum Elder
Oct 19, 2006
[QUOTE="aceofspades21, post: 0]Really? Did it end up being any good?[/quote]

I played through the demo a few times and I didn't really like it.

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="DontKnowMe, post: 0] Isn't this game basically a port of PSP game?[/quote]
In one word? No. It has tracks from both Pulse & Pure, but otherwise it's a completely new game with tons of new features and, let's not forget it, much improved graphics running in [email protected] It began as a much smaller project but then it grew into the big one it is now.

Don't really understand what the problem could be. The way I've seen it, it was basically months ago. The earlier builds have suffered from some screen tearing, but other than that they've worked like a charm.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="aceofspades21, post: 0]Really? Did it end up being any good?[/quote]
It is a blatant wipeout ripoff done badly. Downlaod the demo and see for your self.

acekat

Superior Member
Apr 15, 2007
I've played this game already. It was on the Sony Truck at a games expo in Melbourne.
Only two tracks were available, but it played very smooth.

I can only imagine the problem is related to online, because I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
[QUOTE="acekat, post: 0]I've played this game already. It was on the Sony Truck at a games expo in Melbourne.
Only two tracks were available, but it played very smooth.

I can only imagine the problem is related to online, because I couldn't see anything wrong with it.[/quote]

I envy you mate...but hey, now we are both stuck waiting to get the game ourselves.

Oh well, at least i have Wipeout pulse to feed my wipeout hunger :eek:

S

Soldier 95B

I swear to god...if Sony delays my funeral, I will buy every game they release.

I am looking forward to at least renting this. Any chance of getting it on PSN?

Illumin

Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2006
Long Beach, CA
[QUOTE="DontKnowMe, post: 0]I played through the demo a few times and I didn't really like it.[/quote]

[QUOTE="keefy, post: 0]It is a blatant wipeout ripoff done badly. Downlaod the demo and see for your self.[/quote]

I've told everyone before and I'll tell everyone again. THE FULL VERSION OF FATAL INERTIA EX IS NOTHING LIKE THE DEMO!!! The demo was slow and boring. Once you get past the easy levels in the full game, get upgraded parts and start racing in more complex courses the game becomes very fast, intense and fun.

It's not anything close to a Wipeout rip off. If anything its a Star Wars racing rip off and Wipeout is an F-Zero rip off.

You guys should really give Fatal Inertia a try. It can be gameshared so if you find enough people you can split it for as little as $6. I personally think it's the best game available on the PSN. Trust me.

keefy

Supreme Veteran
Nov 18, 2007
The Sock Gap
[QUOTE="Illumin, post: 0]
You guys should really give Fatal Inertia a try. It can be gameshared so if you find enough people you can split it for as little as $6. I personally think it's the best game available on the PSN. Trust me.[/quote]
I did, I tried the demo, it sucked IMO. Demos are to show what the game is like so you can then decide if you want to purchase it or not. I did not like the free roam making it possible to cut the corners off the tracks.

deded

Elite Member
Dec 11, 2005
From QJnet:

"There is a specific technical problem with WipEout that we have to solve. I can't go into details but it is a really, really tricky technical problem that no region has been able to solve at the moment," Reeves told Eurogamer in a press event in LA."
If this is true and it's a technical reason that no-one else has been able to solve, it's at least a valid reason, but what could it be? 108p @ 60fps online could be a big issue, but hey, drop it to 30fps for online, what's the big deal? Sounds a little fishy to me. I've been waiting for this game for forever, get your fingers out guys...

Azu

Forum Sage
Mar 18, 2006
Oulu, Finland
[QUOTE="Switch, post: 0]
I am looking forward to at least renting this. Any chance of getting it on PSN?[/quote]
This is ONLY a PSN game. AFAIK, they won't be releasing it on Bluray, unless maybe if it doesn't do too good on PSN.

Illumin

Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2006
Long Beach, CA
[QUOTE="keefy, post: 0]I did, I tried the demo, it sucked IMO. Demos are to show what the game is like so you can then decide if you want to purchase it or not. I did not like the free roam making it possible to cut the corners off the tracks.[/quote]

The demo did suck, it sucked big time. The game is awesome though. However, if you're in love with closed courses, than maybe it's not for you. However if the speed and simplicity of the course is what's turning someone off they should check the game out because your speed doubles by the time you're in the elite league and you get into courses that are elaborate mazes of twist and turns through tunnels and caves and all kinds of crazy stuff. There are 8 times as many courses than in Wipeout and hundreds more craft customization options.