WipEout HD Causing Seizures?

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
Last week we reported that as far as we could tell, Wipeout HD was still on track. Shortly after that, though, this appeared on Eurogamer, with David Reeves explaining that the reason we’ve not got a firm release date is that “there is a specific technical problem with WipEout that we have to solve” and that the problem is “a really, really tricky technical problem that no region has been able to solve at the moment.”
There has been much speculation over the last week about just what it is that’s causing the delay and lack of updates from Sony, from theories that the game isn’t making it’s 60fps target to problems with netcode. We’re not privy to the real reasons by any stretch, but every time we’ve seen the game it’s been as smooth as silk, so we’re fairly confident that the PS3 is more than up to the job and we have every faith in Sony Liverpool.
However, one possible explanation for the silence is that the game’s blisteringly fast 60 frames a second refresh rate coupled with the strobing background scenery and constant bobbing of the craft is causing electrical disturbances in people suffering from epilepsy. Certainly games of this ilk have been known to cause motion sickness, but the high-tec imagery used in WipEout HD and the flashing lights might well be adding up to more serious issues, and does go some way to back up what Reeves said last week.
Sony have been in touch with us on this, although we didn’t quite get the answer we were wanting. “WipEout HD is still in development for PSN and we are currently perfecting many aspects of the game, including the online multiplayer experience,” said a spokesperson. “We look forward to unveiling all 8 tracks in the single player game, plus the online multiplayer experience, which allows for up to 8 players on each track, along with all the other game modes.”
We’ve spoken to one expert on the subject of seizures who assures us flashing lights are fairly low down the list of triggers for epilepsy patients, but naturally if this is indeed a contributing factor to the game’s delay, we’re sure the developers are doing everything they can to reduce the problem. We’re hoping for more on WipEout HD soon, so stay tuned to TheSixthAxis.

Causing seizures...lol, the game is soo fast and beautifull that hurts people's eyes :mrgreen:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2008/07/22/wipeout-hd-causing-seizures/

Bio

Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Battlefield
I can understand this, and the seizure concern might even reaffirm the idea that Liverpool has the 60 FPS thing already accomplished, because at 60 frames per second that makes for a whole lot more things moving around at one instance.

jwb

Mar 5, 2008
I guess it's possible. I'm no expert, but if any game was going to bring on epileptic fits, WipEout would be a pretty good bet, thanks to all it's flashing lights, especially at this blisteringly high speed. Doesn't bode well for the future though, does it? It's not going to be the only game to suffer from this problem, and it's seeming to take some time to fix. I hope it doesn't have too significant an impact on the overall experience.

Jun 22, 2007
“there is a specific technical problem with WipEout that we have to solve” and that the problem is “a really, really tricky technical problem that no region has been able to solve at the moment.”

Oh well yeah, then. It must be causing epileptic fits in people. It's the only thing that makes sense. That and like brain tumours or bleeding from every orifice, you know, something along those lines.

Croyles

Super Elite
Apr 6, 2007
There have always been seizure warnings with Wipeout so if this is true it wouldnt a surprise with the technical updates. Shame its being delayed though. No offence but anyone suffering from seizures shouldnt play ANY wipeout in the first place. Just release the game!!!

Although, I dont know if this counts as a 'technical' problem.

Lozt_again

Master Poster
May 9, 2006
soundcloud.com
[QUOTE="Bostonmess, post: 0]“there is a specific technical problem with WipEout that we have to solve” and that the problem is “a really, really tricky technical problem that no region has been able to solve at the moment.”

Oh well yeah, then. It must be causing epileptic fits in people. It's the only thing that makes sense. That and like brain tumours or bleeding from every orifice, you know, something along those lines.[/quote]

lol

It kills everyone who plays it. Like the ring or something. That could be construed as a slight technical hitch no doubt.

greepoman

Superior Member
May 17, 2006
Sony have been in touch with us on this, although we didn’t quite get the answer we were wanting. “WipEout HD is still in development for PSN and we are currently perfecting many aspects of the game, including the online multiplayer experience,” said a spokesperson.
If anything the "online multiplayer" is probably the problem...why else would they even mention it in the reply? Why not just say "we are currently perfecting many aspects of the game" and leave it at that...why mention the multiplayer? I dunno, probably just reading too much into it.

[velocity]

Master Poster
Dec 1, 2006
[QUOTE="Lozt_again, post: 0]lol

It kills everyone who plays it. Like the ring or something. That could be construed as a slight technical hitch no doubt.[/quote]

:mrgreen:
Darn that was funny, +rep!

Even though this is serious for epileptics, just release it for "normal people". With huge banners and warnings of epileptical seizures.

Sep 7, 2007
I heard that after purchasing Wipeout HD, Wipeout HD will sleep on your couch, never pay any bills, eat all the food, fool around with your girlfriend, and just be an all around nuisance. I hope they can fix this problem soon!

Redman_DK

Master Poster
Nov 11, 2005
It's probably this or the multiplayer they are having problems with.

But we will probably never get to know what the problem was.

Nunalho

Tekken Elder
Nov 13, 2005
Well it seems its true...ridiculous.

Many, many things were missing from E3 last week but if you're a Sony fan, one of them was anything to do with the long-awaited PSN version of WipEout.

The streamlined HD racer was strangely absent from Sony's E3 conference, with the firm citing technical difficulties as the culprit.

We've been playing a near finished version of the game here in the office for ages now. Check out these exclusive movies to see how pretty it looks. All we were waiting for then was news of a release and how much it would set us back.

Advertisement:

Imagine our surprise when we were told that the game had failed epilepsy tests and has to be re-engineered as a result before it can be released to the public.

CVG has been told that WipEout "fails the epilepsy tests so much that it has to be re-engineered." All that speed and flashing lights zipping past your eyes must be too much to handle.

No further details were available, such as how long this re-working might take but we've contacted Sony and are still awaiting an official response on the status of WipEout HD and when we can expect to see it launch on PSN.

And while we're at it, what ever happened to the PSN release of 2097 (XL in the US)? You'll know when we do.
The game is so fast and gorgeous that has to be "re-engineered" whatever it means.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193765

nskinnear

Elite Sage
Oct 12, 2007
Pretty much all Mature games have warnings for people that experience siezures. I had never heard of anyone actually having a siezure from a game though. I would have thought that MGS4 would have cause more siezures than this game, but I guess not.

Sep 10, 2007
i want to see a youtube video where somebody trys to make fun of this hahahaha

wish i could play it in its Epileptic form, it would be like GOD OF WAR AS A RACER OR SOMETHING HAHA, EXTREME!!!!!!

Its Official, the next level of Epic is Epileptic! THATS WHEN U KNOW ITS ABOUT TO GO DOWN!

papaw

Superior Member
Sep 15, 2007
WV
WipEout HD delayed due to epilepsy test failure

Posted Jul 22nd 2008 7:30PM by Majed Athab
Filed under: News

When SCEE president David Reeves said there were technical problems with WipEout HD, we really didn't know back then what that incurred. Now, according to CVG, the reason as to why the futuristic racer was slightly delayed is because it failed epilepsy testing.

Apparently, the dazzling flashes of ships rocketing at sub-light speeds is too much for those with the medical condition, and the game will be undergoing "re-engineering." It's unknown exactly how long a fix of this nature would take but, as Mr. Reeves had previously said, the game should "come out before the end of the year."
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/22/wipeout-hd-delayed-due-to-epilepsy-test-failure/
:pale We will have to wait a little longer:suspect:

Nov 25, 2007
[QUOTE="Nick_p, post: 0]I cant beleive the insensitive and selfish comments in this thread.[/quote]

If your talking about my post then I would just like to say its suposed to say convey the point of being a bad thing for the game that it could cause seizures but I see it can be taken the wrong way. I know freinds etc who have had seizures etc so im not trying to offend anyone.

Xelios

Elite Sage
Apr 15, 2007
Man, come on. I wanna play WipEout so badly. Every game comes with epilepsy warnings. Just slap one on WipEout and we're good to go.

Sep 10, 2007
[QUOTE="Nick_p, post: 0]I cant beleive the insensitive and selfish comments in this thread.[/quote]

I cant believe a parent would let their Epileptic children play video games.

Or see someone not care about their health and bring video games into their life

Sep 10, 2007

I cant believe a parent would let their Epileptic children play video games.

Or see someone not care about their health and bring video games into their life

greepoman

Superior Member
May 17, 2006
[QUOTE="papaw, post: 0]:pale We will have to wait a little longer:suspect:[/quote]

I dunno, CVG's article (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193765) only hint of a source is "CVG has been told...". And then tons of other sites go on to cite CVG. I find it really strange they don't even mention who told them this. Most of the time articles at least say, "an industry insider" or something with at least a little bit of credability. Sounds more like a self perpetuating rumor to me.

Ezekiel

Forum Sage
Apr 29, 2006
[QUOTE="Lozt_again, post: 0]lol

It kills everyone who plays it. Like the ring or something. That could be construed as a slight technical hitch no doubt.[/quote]

Now you're just arguing semantics.

[QUOTE="greepoman, post: 0]I dunno, CVG's article (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=193765) only hint of a source is "CVG has been told...". And then tons of other sites go on to cite CVG. I find it really strange they don't even mention who told them this. Most of the time articles at least say, "an industry insider" or something with at least a little bit of credability. Sounds more like a self perpetuating rumor to me.[/quote]

Hmm! I wonder why no one else caught this? It is kinda strange to say the least. Guess we'll just have to wait.

Nov 17, 2006
Is this the cause!?:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2007/12/uk_games_may_begin_mandatory_e.html

Also from wikipedia:

Of all persons who have been diagnosed as epileptic, between three and five percent are known to be of the photosensitive type (approximately two people per 10,000 of the general population). Often persons with PSE have no history of seizures outside of those triggered by visual stimuli. Females are more commonly affected than males, and there is distinct genetic correlation. Symptoms usually first appear during childhood or adolescence, with a peak at the beginning of puberty, and few people present with PSE after the age of 20.
Wipeout HD am victim of soccermom fit?