With all these magazines and websites reviewing games, Who do you trust most?

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
I've noticed that there's alot more reviews out there(I mean IGN has separate reviews for each country?). My question is what magazine or review do you trust most(maybe not 100 percent, but more than anywhere else).

Personally for me its Gameinformer, and I say that as a hater of gamestop. Most of what they come up with is detailed and "typically" seems fair.
With that said I dont trust their sports reviews much though. But typically if they drool on a game, i give it a chance. What about everyone else?

magma12

Dedicated Member
Mar 20, 2008
I trust gamespot because their detailed, and it was the first website that got me started in gaming, I trust them.

Apr 14, 2008
Yourself? Lol... You Just Have To Rent Or Borrow The Game, Play It And Decide If You Like It Or Not, We All Have All Types Of Likes Or Dislikes.

rbrtchng

Forum Guru
Aug 25, 2006
[QUOTE="magma12, post: 0]I trust gamespot because their detailed, and it was the first website that got me started in gaming, I trust them.[/quote]

Gamespot?

It has changed a lot since it first started.

It's notoriously biased and had several infamous incidents, most notably, the Gershman Firing.

I think GS is amongst the least trusted website in all of gaming community.

carocat

Community Manager
May 25, 2006
carocat.co.uk
Myself and selected people on forums/online/etc who have a similar taste or whos opinion I trust.

Saying that, I do tend to look overall at reviews, so if a game I'd been looking forward to gets 2/10's from everywhere I probably won't buy it.

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
[QUOTE="carocat, post: 0]Myself and selected people on forums/online/etc who have a similar taste or whos opinion I trust.

Saying that, I do tend to look overall at reviews, so if a game I'd been looking forward to gets 2/10's from everywhere I probably won't buy it.[/quote]

What if a chunk of people say its a 4-5 and a couple you typically relate to say its a 7-8? Do you trust the majority or the reviews to relate to?

Yourself? Lol... You Just Have To Rent Or Borrow The Game, Play It And Decide If You Like It Or Not, We All Have All Types Of Likes Or Dislikes.
That goes w/o saying, but people do at least read reviews to get an idea of the game. Can't rent every single one. At least i dont have time to personally.

Serenity

Apprentice
May 30, 2008
I trust me! I know what I like and I'm rarely wrong. To be honest, there's been a lot of controversy over certain review sites lately which makes me wonder where their loyalties lie.

gruddy

Elite Sage
Aug 29, 2007
I just look at several reviewing sites such as IGN and GS.

If the game i want has good reviews, i'll get it. If its got terrible reviews, i wont get it.
Its as simple as that.

Other peoples oppinions on this forum also help :razz:

magma12

Dedicated Member
Mar 20, 2008
rbrtchng I didn't know that, so you would give gamespot a 3/1O?;) Since you said that I think I'm going to search for another site, because I'm like carocat, a game gets bad reviews I don't buy it or if I already have a game that got bad reviews I lose interest pretty quick.

carocat

Community Manager
May 25, 2006
carocat.co.uk
[QUOTE="CodenameD, post: 0]What if a chunk of people say its a 4-5 and a couple you typically relate to say its a 7-8? Do you trust the majority or the reviews to relate to? [/QUOTE]
Who cares about a chunk of people? ;)

I will always place the opinions and the reasoning begind it obviously of the select few above any majority of people. You can't generalise it. And people I know will always know better than reviews and I've liked some low rated games before. I think there's on with a Metacritic rating of 32% which I really enjoyed.

But, my example with the low rating was more a case if it gets consistent really bad reviews I woulodn't buy it unless one or more of the people I trust confirms it's worth it.

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
Reviews has nothing to do with trust in my opinion,the reviewer is just a person with opinions like everyone of us,in the end most reviews mix personal feelings,i enjoy IGN's reviews quite a bit,but thier Haze review score was abit 2 low,and thier GTA reviews are to high,but then again,thats my opinion.

people should just find a reviewer that has the same taste in games as them.

Jan 24, 2006
img331.imageshack.us
I only trust myself and like minded gamers. I dont really listen to any reviewer rites i take chances a lot on games when im walking through my game store i make it a point to look around. If i had trusted reviews i would have never picked up kingdom hearts wich i would have thoroughly regretted.

dude88

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2007
This is gonna sound crazy but i love gametrailers reviews the most. Their video reviews are by far the best i've seen, and those are the only one i watch. I also tend to read some of the user comments, but that's it.
I really love that site, i know bunch of you think they are biased, but i don't care/think it's BS.
When you look at scores games get, they are mostly well deserved, and right. I only disagree with Assassins Creeds score, it got way to high score.

DSSS91

Apprentice
Jun 15, 2007
I just visit metacritic amd can see the average of all the reviews. Although I enjoy looking at gametrailer reviews too, not really for their opinion, but because I get to see the variety of gameplay.

EyeSight

Superior Member
Aug 27, 2007
gamespot, they're critique is harsh and i like it. if i wanted to read that every game is great then i'd enjoy playing spiderman 3

Nuvian

Master Sage
Feb 4, 2008
[QUOTE="fak, post: 0]This is gonna sound crazy but i love gametrailers reviews the most. Their video reviews are by far the best i've seen, and those are the only one i watch. I also tend to read some of the user comments, but that's it.
I really love that site, i know bunch of you think they are biased, but i don't care/think it's BS.
When you look at scores games get, they are mostly well deserved, and right. I only disagree with Assassins Creeds score, it got way to high score.[/quote]
I enjoy thier reviews quite a bit aswell.

mondsiu

Apprentice
Sep 25, 2007
i trust ign since it matches how I think about those games, but it also does have some bad reviews, such as gta4 and heavenly sword

CodenameD

Dedicated Member
Dec 16, 2007
[QUOTE="clean515, post: 0]IGN got konamis money so hard up their ass that i dont trust them anymore :(

(PES08 !)[/quote]
how do you figure?

Though I disagree with most of their ps3 reviews and their blinding hate for sixaxis(I thought they whiffed hard on heavenly sword), didnt really see any konami jocking. But i haven't been paying much attentio to their reviews lately.

May 21, 2008
All you got to do is trust yourself after the Haze reviews. I mean come on 4.5 or whatever ridiculous score it got? Maybe a 7.5 because "It's just another shooter" but for real 4.5? That's ridiculously biased. Who cares if it was hyped up? All games these days are hyped up unless it's Beautiful Katamari or some trash. Haze in the end, standard FPS but you can't deny that it had great gameplay, and that to most gamers is the most important thing followed by a good story and good graphics