Writer for Kotaku and Zoe Quinn Accused of Exchanging Positive Press for Sex

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6373159]Just as I predicted. The focus is being put on the backlash and how Zoe Quinn is a victim again.[/QUOTE]

[video=youtube;F9_Q9RhyhMg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_Q9RhyhMg[/video]

This video has a crap ton of links with the evidence.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
Hordes of angry gamers attacking a woman on the Internet, just like any other day in cyberspace, yeah?
Yeah, this article seems fair and objective...

Meh. This issue still seems overblown; people only care because they can go around playing the social justice warrior or act like a victim. It's a disturbing trend that's been rising over the last year and I'm getting really sick of it. Feminism is pseudo-egalitarian and any honest criticism or hate creates a backlash that just cycles back and forth. It needs to stop and everyone should get over themselves.

I blame Tubmlr for this.

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6373148]No, it's just sexist and unfair.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mean it's misogynistic though. That's literally being stereotypical.

[QUOTE="Yuuichi, post: 6373154]Here come the articles, we are all anti-feminist now for hating a dumb hoe

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/zoe-quinn-slut-shaming-the-feminist-conspiracy-and-depression-quest[/QUOTE]

The best thing about this article is how it doesn't link to the "defamatory" (read as: exposing her bullshit) videos, yet cites her tweets as sources to what's going on. :lol:

[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6373163]Yeah, this article seems fair and objective...

Meh. This issue still seems overblown; people only care because they can go around playing the social justice warrior or act like a victim. It's a disturbing trend that's been rising over the last year and I'm getting really sick of it. Feminism is pseudo-egalitarian and any honest criticism or hate creates a backlash that just cycles back and forth. It needs to stop and everyone should get over themselves.

I blame Tubmlr for this.[/QUOTE]

The issue of her going out and cheating is overblown, yes. But the fact that journalistic integrity has been compromised is not. In fact, it's being looked over just so they can make her look like like the victim, as Ixion said.

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6373163]This issue still seems overblown[/QUOTE]

I'm confused by your post. It looks like you're saying the reaction to the backlash is overblown, which I agree with. But what about the reaction to the scandal itself?

Not only does this scandal reveal blatant hypocrisy and corruption among prominent video game journalists and feminists, but the censorship of this scandal is the larger story. It's clear evidence how these biased sites just refuse to cover and allow discussion for topics that hurt their social justice agenda.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6373170]I'm confused by your post. It looks like you're saying the reaction to the backlash is overblown, which I agree with. But what about the reaction to the scandal itself?[/QUOTE]

All of it. None of it is as big as some are making it out to be. I realize it's important by varying degrees for various reasons (journalism integrity, social equality, the unethical practices done by Zoe Quinn and those that slept with her for their own benefit). But that's as far as it goes. It's still a distant thing for me or any of you.

And, frankly, I'm really not surprised by any of this. It's just another day for the social justice turmoil. This incident is just game related.

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
You can't call it important and then say "but that's as far as it goes" as if it's really not. There are plenty of issues with this situation that make it important and something for people to care about, especially when the effects of feminism and SJW are starting to affect the games themselves (Bioshock: Infinite, anybody?).

Ixion

Ultimate Veteran
Nov 29, 2005
New York
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6373180]All of it. None of it is as big as some are making it out to be. I realize it's important by varying degrees for various reasons (journalism integrity, social equality, the unethical practices done by Zoe Quinn and those that slept with her for their own benefit). But that's as far as it goes. It's still a distant thing for me or any of you.

And, frankly, I'm really not surprised by any of this. It's just another day for the social justice turmoil. This incident is just game related.[/QUOTE]

I care about this situation due to the censorship. If this story was being covered and discussed on all the major sites and forums, I would probably say my piece and leave it at that. But the censorship is bothering, it sets a precedent, and it's slowly molding the video game industry and the internet in general, which we're all interested in.

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="Boxman, post: 6373185]You can't call it important and then say "but that's as far as it goes" as if it's really not.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't even make sense. Your logic implies importance is binary and not the abstract gradient that it actually is. I said it's important in some ways but ultimately doesn't stretch beyond what is currently is, which is simply some shitty people doing shitty things and the feminist group overreacting as usual. This little scandal has been going on for a few days now and I still see people freaking out about it in some places. Yes it's bad, but oh well.

Maybe I just have more important things to worry about. :s

[QUOTE="Boxman, post: 6373185]There are plenty of issues with this situation that make it important and something for people to care about, especially when the effects of feminism and SJW are starting to affect the games themselves (Bioshock: Infinite, anybody?).[/QUOTE]

What happened to Bioshock?

If you're pulling examples though don't forgot about Resident Evil 5. Not sex-based but the social justice warriors stood up and called the game racist (but it's okay if the enemies were all white, right), which forced Capcom to avoid a backlash shitstorm and fundamentally change the game. Sheva was added as Chris' partner which severally ruined the single-player experience. If you go watch the original trailers before Sheva was even a concept the game was much darker and more atmospheric, closer to Resident Evil 4 in tone (which is an amazing game).

I'm still pissed off about that.

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
The problem is that it DOES go beyond shitty people doing shitty things, which is why it's important. Just because it doesn't mean as much to you as it does other people doesn't mean it isn't a big deal. It is. Blatant disregard for journalistic integrity, inability to take responsibility for one's responsibility because they're a female playing the sexist card against everyone, censorship of the whole idea across MULTIPLE BIG WEBSITES is a huge problem. I don't get how that is a simple situation of "shitty people doing shitty things".

Fair enough if you have more important things to worry about. But I think it's severely messed up that they're trying to claim men do absolutely no wrong in the industry and then use that as an excuse to not fess up for their errors. Phil Fish anybody? Bobby Kotick? Former CEO of EA, Mr. Ravioli? Ken Levine? They're deluded beyond help.

Regarding Skyoshock Infinity, feminists had an outcry over the size of Elizabeth's boobs. I shit you not. There was an actual issue with her tits being too big. Levine ended up making them smaller in the main character model, although in the ending the original model is there (if you beat the game, you'll understand what I mean). It's definitely not to the extent that you had to deal with, but the fact that something so small can outrage them (and actually be changed to pander to them!) is ludicrous. What happened to the artist (since Levine likes to take pride in his games being art) doing what THEY feel works?

EDIT: Before anyone jumps to conclusions... It's not the size change that bothers me. It's the fact Levine let people how to run his ship and how to make his game.

If it makes you feel any better though, Infinite was completely ruined somewhere in development and I'm still angry at Levine to this day for letting it happen.

Last edited:

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="Boxman, post: 6373199]Just because it doesn't mean as much to you as it does other people doesn't mean it isn't a big deal.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was obvious I was speaking only for myself.

[QUOTE="Boxman, post: 6373199]Regarding Skyoshock Infinity, feminists had an outcry over the size of Elizabeth's boobs. I shit you not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's kinda what they do. They have no major real world inequalities to solve so they instead elect to fight petty things like a virtual character's boob size. It's their way of feeling empowered and good without actually doing any work.

Something something objectification something something rape culture.

Last edited:

Nerevar

Sonata Dusk
Staff member
Aug 27, 2005
Equestria
[QUOTE="Beast of Bourbon, post: 6373248]I'll just leave this here... found on 4chan - looks like mods are asleep :snicker
Infodump:
http://pastebin.com/Ph22THkJ[/QUOTE]

If even a tenth of the shit I've about her is true then Zoe Quinn is a honest to god bitch. She seems like such a despicable person who will do whatever it takes to get what she wants.

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009

Ohhoho... Looks like even by her own definition she raped her ex-boyfriend!

EDIT: Image was taken down...

Last edited:

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
[QUOTE="Nerevar, post: 6373245]I thought it was obvious I was speaking only for myself.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

Mar 9, 2007
Blighttown
Weired how many links and pics you guys posted are dead now.
How can she have so much backup?!

She and her personal army can try to cover up all they want - after this clusterfuck she'll be a pariah.....Hopefully

Yuuichi

Miqo'te Bard
Oct 25, 2009
[QUOTE="Beast of Bourbon, post: 6373296]Weired how many links and pics you guys posted are dead now.
How can she have so much backup?!

She and her personal army can try to cover up all they want - after this clusterfuck she'll be a pariah.....Hopefully[/QUOTE]
DAT pussy popin lol plus sjw have been trying to make her into Jesus Christ. Not even joking they making her out to be one regardless of evidence of how she is a lying manipulative bitch.

on tap a talk on LG g2 and I suck at typing on phones so forgive my typo errors.

StevenW

General Manager
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Spotted this rumour going around this morning about an indie developer who allegedly slept with some people in the industry in return for favourable scores. It's caused a debate about the reviewing system as well as controversy over whether her private life should be brought into the public eye.

There's a huge thread on the subject over at - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=532301

What's interesting is that some of the news sites that did write about it have since taken their articles down, while anything relating to Zoe on Reddit is quickly being deleted. A cover-up, or just a lady trying to protect her reputation? I don't know much about Zoe, but I do think that it's something that shouldn't be made into a news story. This guy who claims that Zoe has slept with these people could be an angry ex-boyfriend. And even if she has, her game 'Depression Quest' is available for free, which puts into question the whole matter.

Whatever the case, it's caused two waves of response. One from people berating her and the industry as a whole, and the other from people claiming that gamers are anti-women and are trying to harm the lady's reputation (http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/zoe-quinn-slut-shaming-the-feminist-conspiracy-and-depression-quest)

Whatever the case, we should be able to debate it openly and shouldn't have views censored on internet forums.

Jan 9, 2014
Wales
www.twitter.com
[QUOTE="Ixion, post: 6373189]I care about this situation due to the censorship. If this story was being covered and discussed on all the major sites and forums, I would probably say my piece and leave it at that. But the censorship is bothering, it sets a precedent, and it's slowly molding the video game industry and the internet in general, which we're all interested in.[/QUOTE]

I'm interested to know what "censorship" has taken place, exactly? Are you expecting IGN or someone big like that to cover this story or what?

K2D

Forum Guru
Oct 19, 2006
Phil Fish isn't exactly making a good case the way he responds to TotalBiscuit on twitter. Some people should just disconnect from social media.

mynd

Ultimate Veteran
May 3, 2006
Down Under
Eh, I still have yet to see
a decent argument of "sex for review scores". All I'm seeing is a lot of innuendo, conjecture and hate.

This appears to be a very private spat, being played out in public.

Its not against any sort of moral or legal compass to be a "bitch" in the eyes of some or as is it appear the case here, upset some people.

Regardless you guys need to understand, these sites aren't censoring this because of some sort of conspiracy, they have a legal obligation here not publish something that is innuendo or defamatory.

Last edited:

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
[QUOTE="welshboymick, post: 6373326]I'm interested to know what "censorship" has taken place, exactly? Are you expecting IGN or someone big like that to cover this story or what?[/QUOTE]

- Reddit banning every single user who posts in one of the original threads regarding the situation
- Reddit also banning an entire subreddit to discuss the situation (only the higher ups can do this, not mods)
- Neogaf not allowing any discussion whatsoever on the topic
- 4chan originally taking down any thread relating to the subject (obviously it didn't work as there multiple still posting about it)
- YouTube taking down MundaneMatt's video about the whole situation over a falsified copyright claim
- Giantbomb deleting threads regarding the subject
- An entire website (Gamenosh) originally going down at the request of the web host

Nothing at all seems suspicious about that?

I don't see why IGN WOULDN'T cover, they're supposed to cover things going on in the industry... So why not this? It would have more value than some of the non-articles they've put up before.

podsaurus

El Presidente
Jul 2, 2008
in a box
[QUOTE="-Shafty-, post: 6373381]Since when did games reviewers get integrity?? :snicker[/QUOTE]
About as long as you've had it.......never. :snicker

The gaming community is not immune to this kind of thing. I've never heard of this women before and I wouldn't want to play a game called Depression Quest either. I haven't seen any direct evidence that she 100% for sure cheated or am I missing something? I haven't looked at anything on any other sites so I don't know.

Boxman

Dedicated Member
Jan 27, 2009
Made a thread about it in the off topic section yesterday, wasn't sure if this sub-forum was a good place to put it... I'll dig out some of my posts to put in here.

EDIT:
[QUOTE="Boxman, post: 6373264]

Ohhoho... Looks like even by her own definition she raped her ex-boyfriend!

EDIT: Image was deleted...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Boxman, post: 6373199]The problem is that it DOES go beyond shitty people doing shitty things, which is why it's important. Just because it doesn't mean as much to you as it does other people doesn't mean it isn't a big deal. It is. Blatant disregard for journalistic integrity, inability to take responsibility for one's responsibility because they're a female playing the sexist card against everyone, censorship of the whole idea across MULTIPLE BIG WEBSITES is a huge problem. I don't get how that is a simple situation of "shitty people doing shitty things".

Fair enough if you have more important things to worry about. But I think it's severely messed up that they're trying to claim men do absolutely no wrong in the industry and then use that as an excuse to not fess up for their errors. Phil Fish anybody? Bobby Kotick? Former CEO of EA, Mr. Ravioli? Ken Levine? They're deluded beyond help.

Regarding Skyoshock Infinity, feminists had an outcry over the size of Elizabeth's boobs. I shit you not. There was an actual issue with her tits being too big. Levine ended up making them smaller in the main character model, although in the ending the original model is there (if you beat the game, you'll understand what I mean). It's definitely not to the extent that you had to deal with, but the fact that something so small can outrage them (and actually be changed to pander to them!) is ludicrous. What happened to the artist (since Levine likes to take pride in his games being art) doing what THEY feel works?

EDIT: Before anyone jumps to conclusions... It's not the size change that bothers me. It's the fact Levine let people how to run his ship and how to make his game.

If it makes you feel any better though, Infinite was completely ruined somewhere in development and I'm still angry at Levine to this day for letting it happen.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Boxman, post: 6373380]- Reddit banning every single user who posts in one of the original threads regarding the situation
- Reddit also banning an entire subreddit to discuss the situation (only the higher ups can do this, not mods)
- Neogaf not allowing any discussion whatsoever on the topic
- 4chan originally taking down any thread relating to the subject (obviously it didn't work as there multiple still posting about it)
- YouTube taking down MundaneMatt's video about the whole situation over a falsified copyright claim
- Giantbomb deleting threads regarding the subject
- An entire website (Gamenosh) originally going down at the request of the web host

Nothing at all seems suspicious about that?

I don't see why IGN WOULDN'T cover, they're supposed to cover things going on in the industry... So why not this? It would have more value than some of the non-articles they've put up before.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: